Letter 4 : The Day He Confessed

10 [Released on 10/10/10 , 10:10 am KST]

TO ALL READERS :
I feel so bad and so sad because I lost the replies I made for you guys TWICE today. This PC hates me, I guess it doesn't want me to reply all of you T_____T There are so many of you [I have 15 readers in swm, 70++ in SFI and 51 in aff]~ I tried replying you guys one by one twice already, but pls blame this pc >< .. it hates me, wuu. So I will make the reply in generals. To new readers, welcome and I hope you guys will keep on reading '10'. To those who asked where did I get the ideas for the letters, thanks for asking. This fic is seriously the hardest to write among all my fics, I brain storm so hard to write them, and saying they are great makes me feel glad. Thanks ^^. To those who asked about Onew, i cant wait to write on him too. wait for his debut in the 'flashback' ne XD. To those who said I'm the best author, I'm an awesome writer, I write the best fics and so on, thank you so much *bows*.

 

 



Letter 4 : The Day He Confessed

Taemin is in the kitchen, alone. He is wearing a baby blue apron. Minho bought it for him two years ago. Taemin took very good care of it. Even though it has been two years, the apron still looks nice.

In a big bowl in front of him, he puts in flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Using a whisk, he makes sure the ingredients are well mixed.

His right hand reaches for another bowl. Taemin breaks an egg into it, and beats it together with milk and oil. He's a little tired, but keeps on mixing the ingredients until they are combined in the bowl.

He took a glance at the letter right beside his big bowl. He took the fourth letter home with him. He will be away from Minho for quite sometime, so having the letter with him makes him feel secure..

"I'll get back to the hospital soon, don't worry," he muttered, as if Minho is listening to him.
 

***

 

 

Taemin is walking to school, alone. He feels the cold, morning breeze on his exposed skin so he adjusts his collar a bit to warm himself. A few students walk pass him. He looks at them one by one, looking for the familiar tall figure.

"Taemin!"

He turns around at the yell and sees Minho, smiling at him.

"Hyung!"

He runs to the older boy and grabs his hand.

"Let's walk together," he said, smiling happily.

"Neh," Minho responded, leaning down to give Taemin a kiss on his cheek. The younger boy blushes at that act, but never refused it.

It's been four weeks since Minho's indirect confession. Taemin still remembers all the words clearly.

"They're just joking. If I were to confess to anyone, the person should be you,"

They became extremely close since then, to the extent where they would hold each others hand, and Minho would sometimes give Taemin a peck on his cheek. Both of them seem happy with their current relationship, but no one actually confessed yet.

"What should we do today?" Taemin asked. Spending time with Minho after school has become a routine for him.

"Do you want to watch a movie together?" Minho asked, looking into his eyes.

"I don't feel like watching a movie. Aish, is it just me or our school life is getting boring since Jonghyun hyung and Key hyung left?"

"Yeah. I think everybody in the school are missing them," Minho nods.

A week after the indirect confession, suddenly the school's favourite DJs disappear from the college. No more gossips, no more news, no more promotion on the school's lovely prince. Jonghyun and Key were no longer there.

It was hot topic on the first week of their disappearance. Everybody was looking for the two famous figures, especially the girls. Two good looking guys suddenly disappear without any notice. Even the lecturers were asking everywhere for them, but no one seems to know where they both went.

Taemin dragged Minho with him to the administration office and asked for his two favourite hyungs, but the answer he got disappointed him. The answer he was looking for was confidential to outsiders.

"You have to get into that university and ask the same question later, arasso?" he told Minho as they stepped out of the office. A few days after that, he received a letter from Key. A very short letter.

"I am in a good condition. Your Jonghyun hyung is, too. Take care, and ask Minho to confess to you, palli!"

Both of them are so eager to know what had happened, but the letter shows that both of them are not facing any difficulties. No matter where they go, they went there for good. Taemin prays every night to meet them again.

"Taem, I will be having an extra class today, so you go back first, okay? Don’t wait for me," Minho said when they finally reached the school gate.

"Extra class again~," Taemin roles his eyes.

"The entrance exam is nearing," Minho responded, ruffling Taemin's hair at the same time.

"The entrance exam is more important than me, I know," Taemin pouts as he walked to his class.

"I am waiting for my birthday present tomorrow!" suddenly Minho shouts. Taemin turns back, eyeing the taller guy. Only then he remembered that tomorrow is Minho's birthday!

"N-neh!" he stuttered his reply, causing Minho to chuckles.

"You forgot, right?"

"I remember! Just wait for my surprise tomorrow!" Taemin replied, trying to hide whatever necessary. Seriously, how did he forget? Thank god Minho will be having an extra class today. He will have a few hours to plan how to celebrate Minho's birthday.

"Surprise..? Okay then. Promise?"

"Promise!" Taemin nods.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

Taemin adds the wet ingredients in the big bowl to the dry ingredients and whisk them together for about a minute. He waits for the mixture to be lumpy.

"This will be okay," he muttered to himself, smiling.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"Where is that boy..?" Minho asked himself. He is in his class right now. Today is his birthday. Almost everybody wished him already, especially those in the 2MIN club, but Taemin is nowhere to be seen. He waited for the boy in front of the school just now, but Taemin didn't show up. Assuming Taemin might be late, he set off for his class first. Taemin will definitely find him in his class during the break, he is sure of that.

He glances at his watch. The break will over soon, and he is alone. Minho buries his face in his folded arms on the table since his head feels so heavy. Maybe he worked too hard for the entrance exam, he is suffering a headache on his birthday.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

I had no choice. You know I'm not from a wealthy family, right? Minseok hyung is still in the hospital. My scholarship is hardly enough to pay for my books, I need extra money for hyung's treatment. I don't want to burden my parents. I really need to get myself into Seoul National University. I have to work hard. I don't want to remain poor forever.

"You were forcing yourself too much back then, hyung." Taemin muttered to himself, reading the fourth letter in the kitchen, waiting for the frying pan to be heated.

He puts the letter aside and reached for the batter in the bowl. He pours about a third of a cup of batter into the pan.

"This will make a medium-size pancake. Just the way you like it," Taemin said, more to himself, smiling, as he remembers the moments he shared with Minho.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"Hyunki!" Minho called for the president of the 2min club as soon as he saw her.

"Minho-shi! Are you waiting for Taemin?" the girl asked.

"Well, yes,"

"He went home already.." Hyunki replied, and she looks a little bit hesitant at first. The fact that the two guys didn't go back together that day made her feel worried.

"Really? Why didn't he wait for me? He didn't visit me during the break too," Minho muttered to himself.

"He must have some important work to do! There is no way he will leave just like that, ne?" Hyunki responded, trying to cheer the tall guy up.

"I guess so. Thanks," Minho bows to the girl and left for Taemin's house. The fact that the boy left just like that hurts him a bit, but he quickly shoves away that thought. Perhaps Taemin forgot about his birthday, or whatever the surprise he had promised yesterday failed, so he avoided Minho the whole day?

That's what Minho thought.

After a few minutes, he is now standing in front of Taemin's house. He sometimes walks Taemin up to here, but he never went in. Maybe today he should. Taemin cannot hide from him forever.

He took a few steps forward and knocked on the door. No respond came.

Minho took a deep breath and knocked again, thinking what he's going to say if any of Taemin's parents open the door.

No respond came.

Minho sighed. He thought maybe Taemin went somewhere else and nobody is at home. He was about to leave when he saw Taemin's favourite pair of shoes in front of the door. Taemin wore that pair everyday.

"He must be inside.." Minho muttered to himself.

For the third time, he knocks on the door again. Louder.

It took a few seconds before the door is opened, finally.

"Stop knocking! My parents are not at home!"

Minho's heart leaps with joy the moment he saw the familiar figure in front of him. Unfortunately, this Taemin-look-alike sounds nothing like the polite Taemin he knows, especially with that annoyed look on his face. Taemin failed to hide his shock expression when he realized that Minho is now standing in front of him, .

"I'm.. not looking for your parents," Minho said, trying to forget the rude treatment he received just now.

"What are you doing here?" Taemin asked, throwing his glance away from Minho.

I was wondering if it is so wrong to visit you. Even if you're busy, I still want to celebrate my birthday with you..

"You owe me a birthday wish," Minho smiles, decided that Taemin is not in the right mood at that time, that's why he looked so disturbed and uncomfortable with the sudden visit.

"Happy birthday,"

He said it. Just like that. Taemin never sounds that cold.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"The surprise, please?" I seriously wanted to ask you that question at that time. But the way you treated me made me feel like I'm.. unwanted..

"Mianhae, hyung. Mianhae.." Taemin muttered as he remembered the line he read in the letter before he started with the pancakes just now. He closes his eyes, trying to shove away the fact that he had hurt Minho on his birthday.

"I never meant to hurt you, hyung.."

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

Both of them stood in front of the door in silence. Minho is staring at the boy he had always love, whom today looks and acts so differently. Taemin on the other hand is avoiding Minho's stare, and is looking at various places. Everywhere but Minho's eyes.

"Do you have anything more to say?" Taemin asked after sometime, as cold as ever.

Minho is more than hurt. It's not the first time today. Taemin didn't wish him before the school started. He didn't find Minho at all for the whole day. He left first without waiting when the school ended, saying nothing. He snapped when he opened the door just now. He asked what Minho is doing at his house, proving that Minho is not welcomed. He wished Minho only when Minho reminded him. A very cold wish. He avoided Minho's eyes for five minutes. And now he asked if Minho has anything more to say.

"Yes, I do. I don't understand why are you acting like this, but I hope everything will be okay tomorrow," Minho said, faking a smile.

Taemin stood there, saying nothing.

"I'll go first," Minho said again, hoping for Taemin to reply him, at least with a nod. But no, the younger boy is almost like a statue.

Minho gave Taemin another fake smile before he turns his back to leave, but then he remembers something.

"Can I get my surprise tomorrow?" he asked. Still smiling, his eyes shine with hope. Unfortunately, Taemin is more than annoyed at him that day.

"Just go, hyung!" he raised his voice a bit, giving Minho a slight push on his chest, much to the taller boy's surprise.

"Taem.." he utters his name.

"Don't.. don't call my name. Go.." Taemin shooed him away for the second time, his lips trembled.

Minho is too shocked with the treatment he received from Taemin, he didn't move an inch. What did he do to be hated by the boy he had always love?

"But.. you promised.." Minho muttered, his hand reaches for Taemin's.

The younger boy slapped away his hand in anger, hurting Minho's feelings again and again.

"I'm sorry I broke my promise! Now leave me alone!" Taemin shouts, slamming the door as hard as he can. He broke the door knob, and Minho's heart too.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

I know it was a very sad moment. But hey, I hope I don’t make you cry reading this.

"No, I'm not crying," Taemin said, wiping his tears as he read the letter.

You know no matter what you did, I will always love you, right?

"I know, hyung. I know,"

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

Minho is lying alone on his bed. He didn’t go to school today. He suddenly caught a bad fever. His body feels so weak, and his head feels heavy. His heart is obviously broken.

"Minho, come and have your lunch," he heard his mother's voice, calling for him.

"I don't want to eat," he replied before covering his face with a pillow.

If there is one thing he wishes for the most right now, he wishes he can forget everything that happened yesterday. Yes, he wants to forget his birthday. He wants to forget that Taemin hates him.

"Minho, stop being stubborn and come out here!" it's his father now.

"I don’t want to," he responded. What is the point of eating, he asked himself. If that can make Taemin love him back, he will eat..

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"You were being so stubborn, hyung," Taemin said as he read the letter on his way to the hospital. He walks to Minho's room after he parked his car. He holds the lunch box with the pancakes in it carefully.

"Taemin," Jinki, who was about to leave Minho's room greets him.

"Hyung," he muttered, bowing at the same time to show respect.

"Don't treat me like a stranger, Taem," Jinki said, putting his hand on Taemin's shoulder.

"Excuse me," the younger guy said, and made his way to the kitchen. Thanks to his rich family, he asked for the best suite complete with a rest room and a small kitchen for Minho since the operation last month.

The operation was a success. The doctor managed to save Minho's life, but not Taemin's future. Minho is bedridden since then. And Taemin is still praying for Minho to wake up every single day, without fail.

His fingers reached for a plate. He opened the lunch box and takes out all the pancakes he made and placed them on the plate.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"Who are you?" the old man asked when he saw a very pretty boy standing in front of his house when he opened the door.

"Annyeong.. I'm Taemin, Minho's friend," he is more than nervous, but quickly introduced himself.

"Ah, Minho's friend! Come in, come in. I'm Minho's father. You can call me Minho's Dad," the old but very healthy-looking man said, inviting Taemin into their house with a very welcoming smile.

"N-neh, Minho's Dad.." Taemin responded. He thought 'Minho's Dad' sounds funny, but the man looks very friendly and is very nice too, Taemin thought it is best to follow whatever he asks.

Minho's Dad invited him to have a seat in the living room. Taemin was about to sit when a pretty and motherly looking old woman came into the area.

"Minho's Mom, this is Taemin," Minho's Dad introduced him to the woman.

"Omo, you are the prettiest person I've ever met!" Minho's Mom said, pinching Taemin's cheeks at the same time.

"Thank you.." Taemin muttered, smiling at the same time. He likes the old couple more and more.

"I wonder how a lone ranger like our son managed to find a very pretty friend like you," Minho's Dad said.

"He's not a lone ranger. He is a very nice friend," Taemin responded.

"Minho? Nice? Good to hear that he at leasthas a friend at school," Minho's Dad said again.

"A very pretty one, too," Minho's Mom said, adoring Taemin's looks.

"Thank.. thank you," Taemin said again, smiling still.

"Come and have lunch with us! Minho's Mom is a very good cook!" Minho's Dad said, pushing Taemin to the dining table.

"No, no, it's okay. I want to give this to Minho hyung," Taemin said, patting on the lunchbox in his hands.

"You call him 'hyung'? Aigoo, so polite," Minho's Mom said, admiring Taemin from every aspects, causing the young boy to be embarrassed.

"What is that in your hand? Did you bring him lunch?" Minho's Dad asked.

"Neh.. I made him pancakes.. I didn’t give him any gift yesterday.." Taemin said, his voice sounds sad.

"Pancakes? Minho loves pancakes!" Minho's Mom said, clapping her hands.

"Really?" Taemin asked, he looks happy now.

"Neh. He will like this lunch you brought, but there is one problem," Minho's Dad said.

"Problem? What is it?"

"He is not leaving his room. He has been inside since he got back from school yesterday. I wonder what had happened," Minho's Dad said again. Taemin knew right away, it must be because of him.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"I'm sorry I hurt you.." Taemin whispered to himself.

You know I never blame you, Taemin..

No one understands him like Minho. No one.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"He's .. sleeping.." Taemin muttered as he steps into Minho's room.

"It's not easy to wake him." Minho's Dad said.

"It's easier to wake a corpse," Minho's Mom responded. Taemin thought Minho is living with wonderful parents.

Minho is absorbed in his sleep, yes. But thanks to his empty stomach since yesterday, his nose caught the existence of his favourite pancakes in is room, so he quickly rose from his bed, knocking Taemin's forehead who is seated right beside him.

"Ouch!" both of them said. Minho rubbed his forehead, while Taemin quickly placed the lunch box on the small desk near the bed since he almost dropped it just now, thanks to the knock.

"You're here!" Minho is very bad at hiding his excitement. Ignoring his empty stomach and the pancakes, he brought Taemin into his arms, hugging him close to his chest.

"We will be waiting outside," Minho's Mom said with a smile, dragging her husband with her, causing the two youths to chuckle.

"I.. I'm sorry I was a jerk yesterday," Taemin said, finding Minho's eyes.

Minho takes Taemin's hand in his, holding it tightly.

"Do you want to tell me what happened?" he asked. The younger boy looks hesitant at first, but then decided Minho should know.

"My parents are never on good terms," he started. Minho never thought the problem started with Taemin's parents, but he chose not to judge anything before he listened to the full story.

"There is no night where they don't disturb me with their quarrel. Shouting, door slamming, calling each other bad names.."

Minho can feel Taemin's fingers are gripping his even tighter than before.

"They always put the blame on me, too,"

"You..? But why?" Minho asked.

"As I grow up, listening to their shouts every single night, I am convinced that I am the cause of their failed marriage. My father always said he never wants me. My mother always said her life is ruined because of me. I don't understand why.."

Minho pats on his shoulder, signaling Taemin that he is not alone.

"I guess they said whatever they want to make themselves feel better," Taemin said again, and Minho nods.

"A counselor back then told me that I am never at fault. So I ignore whatever blame they're putting on me day by day. It's hard, though.."

"Taemin, it's okay if you don't want to talk about it. I don’t want you to hurt yourself," Minho said. His voice is enough to calm Taemin down.

"But.. the night before your birthday.."

Minho knows Taemin is determined to share the part of his life that nobody knows. Who would ever know that the prince of everybody's heart in school is suffering this much.

"It will be the best if you were never born," the sentence sounds more like a whisper to Minho. Minho was about to ask what that was supposed to mean when Taemin repeated the sentence again.

"It will be the best if you were never born. My mother said that to my face after my father left the house that night.."

And the skinny boy shed his tears.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

I never knew you were that strong, Taemin. I will be heartbroken if my mother said that to me. But you manage to overcome that sadness and every word they used to torture you with, and smile at school everyday. Do you think I care if you break down for a day and broke my heart?

I'm sorry I never knew your suffer. Truly I am..

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"I'm sorry, hyung.." Taemin said as he wipes his tears away. Minho embraces his skinny frame in his muscular arms, and whispers to his ears that he is there to make Taemin feel better. They stay like that for a few seconds before they finally broke the hug.

"You know what, hyung? I really like your parents," Taemin said, smiling.

"I like them a lot too," Minho said, ruffling Taemin's hair.

"If only I have them as my parents.."

That melancholic tone of Taemin hurts Minho. He feels guilty for not knowing Taemin's sufferings sooner.

"Taemin, you can have my parents too," Minho suddenly said out of nowhere. Taemin stares at him, blinking his eyes twice.

"I don't know since when I've had these feelings, but I really love you. Please go out with me,"

There is no hesitation in his voice. Taemin looks into his eyes, and he sees hope. He sees honesty. He sees love.

He leans down a bit and give Minho a kiss on his lips. The older guy was shocked at first, but soon he was absorbed into the sweet first kiss.

The kiss lasts for a few seconds. Both of them said nothing after they broke off the kiss.

"I love you too, hyung," Taemin finally said, breaking the silence with a sweet smile.

"I'll take that as a 'yes'." Minho responded.

"Do you think I will kiss you if I wanted to say 'no'!" Taemin pretended to be mad, and Minho laughs. He then pats on his stomach, signaling that he is hungry.

"I want to eat your pancakes." he said, pointing to Taemin's lunch box.

"You parents said you didn't leave your room, didn't eat anything, did nothing but sleep. That's why you're hungry!"

"I feel weak, that's why I sleep. Thanks to your pancakes, I woke up," Minho said.

"Glad to hear that. I almost dropped the pancakes just now before waking you up," Taemin said chuckling.

"What? Aish, I love pancakes so much. Never drop them, or I will never wake up next time!" Minho said, pretending to be angry.

"Arasso. Happy 19th, hyung," Taemin said with a pretty smile.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 



"Happy 29th, hyung," Taemin said as he kisses on Minho's forehead.

"I'm sorry I'm a bit late today. I was at home, making something for you. Guess what it is?" he asked, faking a smile as usual.

Minho says nothing to answer him, as usual.

"How did you know I made pancakes for you? Aish, I should prepare a different meal for you next year," Taemin pouts. Anybody who sees the scene will be broken hearted, watching Taemin talking to Minho. He never gave up no matter what the doctor said. He knows Minho will wake up someday. He doesn't know when, but that day will come. Taemin knows that.

"Wait here. Let me bring the pancakes in," he said as he stood up. He walks to the kitchen and his hands reach for the plate with the pancakes. He was about to steps back into the room when his right elbow hits the door knob quite hard, he dropped the plate on the floor.

Jinki who happened to pass by the room rush to him when he heard the breaking sound. He then saw the scattered glass on the floor, together with the pancakes.

"Just leave it to the nurse, okay?" he said, patting on Taemin shoulders. The younger boy didn't respond, though. Jinki looks for Taemin's eyes, and he saw the younger boy is holding his tears.

"You can always make more pancakes, Taem. Don't be like this,"

The doctor thought Taemin is sad because of the pancakes. He's wrong.

Since he only have the letters with him, Taemin remembers everything Minho wrote to him, word by word.

"… I love pancakes so much. Never drop them, or I will never wake up next time!"

The tears betray him and finally rolled down on his cheeks. Everything goes wrong for him when it comes to Minho.

"I'll die if you don't wake up, hyung.." he whispered more to himself, wiping his tears away.

The be continued






So tell me what do you think of this chapter?? Did I make my readers sad? Coz I feel sad writing this chapter too .__. [fail author alert~]. Okay, this is the longest chapter ever, for this fic. I hope you guys like this letter. Though the ending is.. heart breaking .__. ??

And yes, JongKey disappears! Where to? Keep on supporting '10' ^^!

Anyway, don't just leave. I honestly don't like silent readers >< ..

Till the next letter,
Pynkfaery