fifty-three

I am because we are (Ubuntu) [Permanent Hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter

► Before anything else, I wish to welcome the new readers – There was a sudden influx of subs that greatly surprised me because where ya’ll come from O_o Last I checked, there was only 400+ (nearing 500) of you.. whu o A o??  But anyway, aside that, WELCOME!! To this large blurb of a fic of feels feels feels lawl. Thank you, for taking interest in this story of mine. And I hope that if you’ve enjoyed yourselves so far, you’d continue enjoying the future chapters.

► But without further ado, enjoy ♥ (a pretty long chapter at that too lol)

 

7.2k

 

 

Before the night ends, Baekhyun receives and makes a series of phone calls using Junmyeon’s phone. Because he unfortunately forgot the phone he was given; he had yet to get used to having one again.

On the other hand, the people around the table who are witness to Baekhyun’s lively phone calls had on huge fond smiles on their faces; not able to help themselves of the tingling warmth spreading inside at both the affectionate and delightful conversations – Baekhyun’s radiating happiness too contagious to ignore.

 

 

♪ Malhaejwo meri meri Christmas, annyeong jal jinaeneun geoji ♪

(Tell me, Merry Merry Christmas, hi, how have you been?)

 

A phone’s ringtone fills the air startling Junmyeon; his phone vibrating at the same time on the table. Without checking to see who’s calling, he answers; brushing Baekhyun’s stray hairs away from his eyes as the latter sends him his signature puppy smile.

 

“Hello?”

 

Hyung! Merry Christmas!!!!

 

“Thank you Tao.” Junmyeon laughs at the other’s booming voice on the other line; smile widening at the sudden twinkle in Baekhyun’s eyes at the name of the caller. “Merry Christmas to you too.”

 

I can’t contact Baekhyun, hyung. I wanted to greet him.

 

He can imagine the pout in Tao’s voice. “He’s here with me, hold on.”

 

“Baekhyun? Did you not bring your phone?”

 

“Uh…” Baekhyun blanks; not necessarily panicking, but feeling guilty. “Eheh- I left it?” He scratches his cheek lightly with a finger, smile expressing guilt. Chanyeol, on the other hand, avoids Junmyeon’s turn to him as he too forgot to remind the other.

 

“You really don’t bother with your phone do you?” Minho chuckled from his seat across.

 

“Sorry.” Baekhyun lowers his head with a pout, but the smile later returns as Junmyeon hands him his phone.

 

“He wants to talk to you.” To which Baekhyun gladly accepts with a skip in his movements.

 

“Tao!!”

 

BAEKHYUN! WHY CAN’T I CALL YOU?!

 

“Sorry, forgot I had a phone.” Baekhyun laughs.

 

Don’t forget it next time, we already told you we’d be bombarding you with calls this break. But anyway~

Merry Christmas Baekkie!! Has Chanyeol hyung been treating you well?!

 

“Merry Christmas Tao.” He giggles, delighted to be able to hear Tao’s voice. “He is, don’t worry.”

 

Good. Tell me if he isn’t, I’ll martial arts kick him. Yeah?

 

“Okay.” Baekhyun’s ever lovely eye smile appears that had Minho and Chanyeol’s insides fluttering at the sight.

 

 

After some short small talk, the call with Tao ends, but not a moment too soon, Junmyeon dials a number and waits to be answered.

 

Junmyeon hyung~ What’sup

 

“Hello Jongdae.” He chuckles at the singsong voice of his friend, and singsongs his greeting in return. “Merry Christmas~”

 

Hahaha, Merry Christmas hyung!

 

Junmyeon feels a light pull on his sleeve, and upon turning he is greeted with Baekhyun’s large eyes silently asking if he could talk to Jongdae on the line.

“I’m with Baekhyun right now, want to talk to him?” He taps Baekhyun’s nose at the cuteness of the other.

 

Of course! Definitely!

 

Laughing at the sudden excited voice, Junmyeon passes on the phone to Baekhyun.

 

“DAE-DAE!!”

 

BAE- what did you just call me?

 

“Merry Christmas Dae-dae~”

 

YAH! We don’t see each other for a few days and now ya’ll calling me Dae-Dae?!

 

“It’s the 25th already! I greeted you why you no greet me?”

 

Not greeting you back ‘cause you’re ignoring what I just said--!!!

 

Around, everyone laughs at the funny exchange of the two; the phone’s volume enough to be heard within the table. Minho giving Baekhyun a thumbs up – approving Baekhyun’s mischief teasing.

 

 

For the third call, Baekhyun insists on dialing the number; Junmyeon granting him his wish with a nod and a fond smile, guiding him through the process – ignoring Baekhyun’s obvious fascination of his touchscreen phone.

 

As Baekhyun waits for the call to be answered, he absentmindedly leans in to Junmyeon – resting his head on his shoulder as he pouts. Finding the act adorable, Yura taps her brother, looking at him with raised brows and an amused smile; to which Chanyeol replies to with a shrug fondness evident.

 

Hyung! I was going to call you!

 

“JONGIN!!” As soon as he answers the call, Baekhyun squeaks in delight; lifting his head off Junmyeon’s shoulders in an instant as he sits up straight – eliciting laughter from the rest at his obvious excitement. “Merry Christmas!!”

 

Baekhyun? Jongin laughs on the other line. Well a Merry Christmas to you too!

 

Baekhyun? Is that Baekhyun? Another voice is heard.

 

“Kyungsoo?”

 

Baaaeeekhyuunnieee~ Kyungsoo singsongs happily.

 

“Ohu~ You’re with Jongin…”

 

And you’re with Chanyeol shut up we’ve been trying to call you why can’t we? He says in one breath.

 

“I forgot my phone.” Baekhyun puffs his cheeks. “Kyunggie!”

 

You forgot your phone?! You finally have one and we-

 

“Kyung…”

 

-finally get to contact you and you-

 

“Soo.”

 

-forgot your phone?!

 

“DO KYUNGSOO!!!”

 

WHAT?! Kyungsoo shouts angrily, although he isn’t.

 

“Merry Christmas~” Baekhyun greets randomly with an innocent smile that the other cannot see but the rest can.

 

Merry Christmas Baekkie now don’t change the subject ‘cause I’ve been worried-

 

“Sorry.”

 

-sick about you and-

 

“You know how long it’s been I haven’t had a phone.”

 

-here you are stating like-

 

“Kyungsoooo…”

 

-it’s no big deal… Kyungsoo continues on ignoring Baekhyun who only pouts in return still trying to get his attention.

 

 

 

The other four found Kyungsoo and Baekhyun’s phone call to be the most entertaining, their friendship never failing to amuse the group of their evident platonic love for each other despite the bickering. Both Minho and Junmyeon look at each other with fondness – not of each other but agreeing of how glad they are to have the two friends within their circle of friendship. On the other hand, despite Chanyeol’s blank expression, the discreet interlacing of his fingers with Baekhyun’s under the table is enough to say that he too thinks similarly. While Yura simply observes her brother beside and his friends; able to understand more how precious Byun Baekhyun is to them.

 

But three of them are left perplexed at something Baekhyun had said. Not sure whether to take it seriously or brush it off as something mistakenly phrased.

…how long it’s been I haven’t had a phone.

 

From their knowledge, Baekhyun has a phone that he rarely made use of – with the excuse that he just doesn’t bother for personal reasons. Something they believe because they too understand. But his statement earlier contradicts his reasons…

 

“Junmyeon hyung, thank you~” Baekhyun gives back his phone after the call is ended with a large smile enough to turn his eyes into pretty crescents that had Junmyeon snuggling on him; heart swelling in happiness.

 

Once again, in the end, their perplexity of the situation is distracted by Baekhyun’s happy antics. No longer dwelling on the subject and focuses back on the companionship around the table.

 

 

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

After an hour almost two at the restaurant, the group finally decides it is time for them to leave. The late Christmas dinner has not ended yet – the Park’s and the Kim’s still happily chatting with one another. But since they spent a fair amount of time with them without coming off as forced, they are able to excuse themselves earlier than the rest. They were all truthfully tired after all, so it wasn’t a lie and only reasonable.

 

Thankfully for the Park siblings, their cousins have long paid attention to Byun Baekhyun; fully distracted of their own gossips and issues to remember his odd new presence. Baekhyun too has forgotten all about them and the earlier unfortunate events, mind taken off it and replaced by happy musings – the warm friendship he is surrounded in encasing him in utter bliss.

 

Another set of goodbyes are made, another moment Baekhyun thinks is unfortunate. If given the choice, he would still like to spend some time with Minho and Junmyeon – their parental presence always sending him craving for more. And due to the merry atmosphere of the occasion, too caught up with so much joy – tonight’s goodbye held more affection than the past.

 

 

“Merry Christmas Chanyeol.” Junmyeon embraces him tightly patting his back fondly. “Thank you for bringing Baekhyun tonight; it’s been a wonderful greeting of Christmas. The best by far.”

 

“If only the others were here.”

 

“I’m glad too.” Chanyeol chuckles pulling away and giving the other a pleasant smile. “One Christmas in the future surely.”

 

Seeing the smile he had long missed, a smile he thought he would not see again; seeing it once more and more often today, fluttered Junmyeon’s heart with warmth. He cups Chanyeol’s face, caressing the sides of his lips lovingly with his thumbs as if unbelieving of the expression before him.

As Chanyeol’s eyes had a hint of sparkle as he looked at him, Junmyeon almost felt his eyes well up with tears – feeling an immense amount of happiness and relief.

 

“You’re really back, aren’t you?” He says in almost a whisper. “You’re happy again.”

 

No reply was made, only Chanyeol’s tilt of head and his smile ever present. Overwhelmed with warmth, Junmyeon pulls him in again for a last embrace before they completely pull away – leaving each other chaste kisses – Junmyeon on the other’s cheek, Chanyeol on the other’s temple.

 

“I’m glad.”

 

 

 

At the side, Minho watches the loving exchange of the two; his own heart swelling in equal happiness of the obvious affection they both radiated – unbelieving of the too heartwarming of a friendship.

 

When Chanyeol approaches him, he lightly punches his chest while chuckling at the same time.

“Hello elf ears.”

 

Chanyeol laughs in response, punching Minho playfully in revenge. “Hello dragon.”

 

They laugh some more, and when the laughter dies down, they both look at each other with smiles on. No sign of age difference, no sign of authority – just pure genuine friendship.

 

“Thanks, for unexpectedly bringing a ball of sunshine in the night of Christmas.” Minho said. “Is there a reason though? As to why you decided to bring him? When you’ve never brought anyone before?”

 

“I don’t know.” Chanyeol shrugs. “It felt… right.” and smiles as he looked to Baekhyun and Junmyeon saying their goodbyes. “Everything about Baekhyun… feels right.”

 

The cheesy reply had Minho snorting, but inside he fully agreed. Indeed, everything about Baekhyun does feel right.

“Really though, thanks” Minho smiles too as he watched the loving exchange of both their friends. “Junmyeon’s been very happy these days you know?”

 

“You guys give me too much credit. It was Junmyeon who invited him to the group in the first place, not me.”

 

“True. But it is you who brought him tonight.”

 

“Imagine Christmas dinner without Baekhyun.” They both watch as Junmyeon pepper Baekhyun’s face with kisses. “He’d be just as blank as you were like every year, maybe even pissed ‘cause surely his grandmother would’ve pestered him about his life again.”

 

“Asking when he’s getting married and his plans for the future?” Chanyeol chuckles in memory of last year’s Christmas dinner.

 

“Yeah, that.” Minho rolls his eyes; the question not new and constantly thrown in by the elders at every possible opportunity.

 

Their goodbye for tonight was rather playful – a brotherly hug from both and with the occasional jokes thrown out. Although it wasn’t the same lively goodbyes of before, it was enough for Minho to be assured that his friend is certainly, once again, happy; hoping that this time, he is for good.

 

 

 

“Bye hyung, Merry Christmas” Baekhyun is pulled in in a tight embrace, Junmyeon hugging him as tight he could. “Thanks for tonight.”

 

“Merry Christmas Baek. Get a lot of rest okay?” He pulls away only to pat Baekhyun’s face lovingly. “And no Baekhyun, we must be the one’s saying thank you. You have no idea how you’ve been making us happy. Mmm~” and bumps his nose on Baekhyun’s playfully that had the other cutely scrunching his with a grin in return.

 

“Remember, I’m always a call away if you need anything a’ight?” Junmyeon leaves a fond peck on both of Baekhyun’s cheeks and then his forehead that had the latter laughing; leaving a sweet kiss on the older’s cheek in return. “Call me once you have your phone again, okay? And next time, don’t forget it.”

 

“Yes Mama Myeon.” Baekhyun stresses the words playfully that had Junmyeon squishing his cheeks until he was squeaking and laughing in pain.

 

 

On Minho’s turn, Baekhyun is enveloped in an ever fond embrace – his arms tight around his hyung’s neck while Minho had a hand caressing his back comfortingly, the other arm circled tight on his waist and swaying their bodies side to side – his playful side surfacing for tonight.

 

“Merry Christmas Baekhyun. So glad you’re here this Christmas.” Minho tells him with a gentle voice that had Baekhyun melting even more amid the already warm embrace.

 

“Merry Christmas hyung. Thank you for having me, really, thank you.” Baekhyun’s arms tighten even more – heart swelling in overwhelming joy of the mere presence of his friends.

 

Before pulling away, Baekhyun feels a short peck on his cheek and three pecks on his temple – the last being a noisy long one, and another tight squeeze. “We’re thankful too, for having you here.”

 

And before they finally part ways, Minho playfully flicks Baekhyun’s forehead that had him pouting in response. “Remember, your phone. I’ve had enough nights of Junmyeon pestering me about you.”

 

Giggling, Baekhyun replies with a loud happy squeak. “Yes hyung!~”

 

 

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

The sound of the heavy rain against the window, the blurry roads and the few dim lit streets they passed by; it did not seem like Christmas at all at the moment – the pouring rain blurring the supposed pretty lights of early Christmas morn. But despite all that, the car was still filled with unseen warmth – the lovers graced with smiles on their faces; although faint, it showed how merry the greeting of Christmas was for the both of them. There were only two of them in the car, Yura opting to spend the early morning at a friend’s place and leave the couple alone for some ‘personal quality time’ as she brother. Leaving a sweet goodbye to Baekhyun that added to his already joyful feelings.

 

They were on their way to Chanyeol’s house within the area that Baekhyun was not made aware of.

 

“Chanyeol? Where are we going?” Baekhyun watched the unfamiliar surroundings they passed by. “Are we not going back?”

 

“No, it’s too late to drive back now.” Chanyeol replies as he turns a corner, a slight unfound excitement brewing inside him. “We’re spending the night at my house.”

 

My house. Chanyeol’s house? The Park’s residence. In a second, Baekhyun panics. To be able to step foot on the grounds of Chanyeol’s hometown was already enough to give him fluttery feelings, but to step foot on a more personal ground had Baekhyun reeling in both giddiness and anxiety. Because visiting the Park’s residence means...

 

Fortunate or not, Chanyeol did not miss the sudden panic – judging by how Baekhyun suddenly froze in his seat. He figured the reason; everyone who knew his background was afraid of meeting his parents – aware of their powerful elite status.

 

“They’re not home, if that’s what you’re worried about. That’s why you’re here with me, remember?” He sends him a reassuring smile that had Baekhyun rela

Please log in to read the full chapter