forty-five

I am because we are (Ubuntu) [Permanent Hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter

► Christmas Playlist

► Heavy conversation based chapter. Enjoy ♥

Word Count: 5114

 

 

Out in the terrace, Jongdae stands alone watching his friends inside. While the inside was full of laughter and noise, the outside was quiet and peaceful – only the sounds of the trees swaying and the occasional distant sounds of cars passing by in the streets beyond the gates.

 

By the Christmas tree, Minho and Jongin were having what seems to be a fun conversation – judging by how Jongin was laughing and Minho’s rare dorky smile. On the couch were Tao and Baekhyun eating again cake and having what seems to be a meaningful conversation – because Tao rarely sits still with a calm and collected demeanor. And last, standing by the window was Chanyeol and Kyungsoo who Jongdae believes is the first time he has seen them actually converse.

 

 

Every year for the past years since they have met, a party was always held not only within their circle but others included. It was always either at Junmyeon’s or Minho’s or at times Chanyeol’s – those among them whose family owns the biggest houses; sometimes even consecutively – big names, big parties. Invites would be handed out randomly to people they only knew by name, acquaintances, or even people they’ve known through the livelihood of their parents. It was never only them, always with others. This year though, everything was different. With the events of last year’s and Chanyeol’s dark change, it was inevitable. So it was no surprise to any of them that the invites this year was only handed within their circle. It was also no surprise to the other people who knew that there were no extravagant parties being held by the big six this year either. Although, Jongdae is pretty sure that his friends would agree with him that this is by far the best they have had.

 

“Amazing, isn’t it?” Junmyeon stands alongside him. “How in one year, a lot can change.”

 

He receives no response, only silence. Junmyeon looks at Jongdae and sees that he’s watching someone in particular, a little too fondly than normal.

“How one person can change a lot of things.”

 

For a while it was back to silence, only the sounds of their friends’ murmured conversations were heard from inside. Jongdae, however, breaks the silence with a question of wonder.

 

“Hyung? Did you not really reserve a catering service?”

 

“Actually…” Junmyeon chuckles. “I did.”

 

Surprised, he looks at him with raised eyebrows. “You did?”

 

“Jongdae, we hold a party every year, you think things won’t be taken cared of beforehand?” Junmyeon smiles at him.

Seeing the confused expression he proceeds to explain; turning back to watch their friends fondly. “Like every year, I’ve reserved catering service a month ahead. You know how they are during the holidays, their schedules would be jam-packed. And although we’ve already agreed that there will be no big parties this year, the customs of preparations haven’t changed.. at least, until a few weeks ago.

 

“What changed it then?”

No answer was given but the smile his hyung had as he watched Baekhyun was enough to tell him of the reason. “I see.”

 

“Did he do something to have you cancelling everything?”

 

“He did, actually.” Junmyeon nods. “There was a time he told me about his grandmother. How she makes sure she prepares food for him because she wants to make sure he is eating well. How Baekhyun likes it because it meant she thinks of him when she does so.”

 

“Baekhyun always told me that he loves the food Kyungsoo and I pack for him. Because the act itself was something he found very touching.”

 

The reason had Jongdae chuckling in response. “That boy really finds joy in the smallest of things.”

 

“I know, never knew how a simple act could touch someone in so many ways.” Junmyeon chuckles along. “So yeah.. cancelled the catering due to that.”

 

“Only due to that?” Jongdae raises an eyebrow because he knew there was something more.

 

“And maaaaybe Minho and Chanyeol as well.”

 

“Only them hyung?”

 

“Jongdae, the only time those two get to eat home cooked meals prepared by someone else is when I prepare for them. Minho usually eats out while Chanyeol cooks for himself.” He sighs. “Thought I’d have them eat something prepared for their well-being you know… a heartwarming meal?”

 

“Cheesy hyung.” Jongdae scrunches his nose that had Junmyeon laughing. “I think you ought to include yourself there – you three hardly ever eat at home. And the only time you do is when Auntie Hana is around to cook for you.”

 

“If I include myself, you’d be included to. Your cook cooks for your family does she not?”

 

“But hyung, at least my mom helps prepare the food at times. You three….” He sighs as he realized he dwelled on something pretty sensitive. “I’m sorry-“

 

“No, you’re right.” Junmyeon interrupts with a sad smile. “At least you boys have your parents bother from time to time. Us three on the other hand, they’re too busy to even think about us.”

 

“I think what you mean is, it’s been a long time since you’ve had a meal with a personal heartwarming intention as opposed to eating something to simply fill your stomachs.” Jongdae suggests and Junmyeon’s smile that still reflected sadness had him feeling guilty, so he tries to change the topic.

“The invitations were pretty this year hyung.”

 

And as if the sadness never appeared, Junmyeon's eyes twinkle. “Thank Baekhyun for that. I asked him if he could design them, and he was too ecstatic he accepted right away.”

 

“I know. His initials are below.” Jongdae laughs as he takes the invitation out his pocket. “Definitely special.”

“Speaking of which, how were you able to cancel everything in such a short time?”

 

“I might have, may have, sort of, used my mom’s name on that.” Junmyeon says looking away as if ashamed of what he did. This only had Jongdae laughing more because oh, first time.

 

“Wow. You of all people who constantly remind us to not use our names to our advantage.” He teases. “What Baekhyun does to you alright.” and giggles.

 

 

 

For a while it was silent once again as they continue to watch their friends being all happy inside. Their minds filled with different thoughts but all the same: how Byun Baekhyun affected them.

This time, it was Junmyeon who breaks the silence.

 

“So, you like Baekhyun.” He states rather than question.

 

“Woah. In what world?!” Jongdae answers in surprise and a hint of panic that he did not miss.

 

“In this world~” He singsongs and looks at his friend with a knowing smile.

 

“No I don’t." Jongdae shakes his head in denial. “Nope. Where’d you even get that?” But as Junmyeon stared at him, knowing look never gone, he gives in little by little.

“Okay, maybe a little.” He gestures with his fingers.

 

Junmyeon’s stare does not falter. “Maybe a little more than that?”

 

Still not faltering. “A little little more than that?”

 

The knowing look does not disappear at all. “Okay fine I like him.” Jongdae throws his hands in defeat. “BUT- I have no intentions of stealing him away from Chanyeol… If that’s what you’re thinking.”

 

Shaking his head, Junmyeon only chuckles at the response. “Don’t worry, you’re a trusted friend.”

 

“Haaaaa…~” Jongdae sighs defeatedly, and then panics. “Oh my god am I obvious?!”

“Oh no oh no.. does Chanyeol know?”

 

A panicking Jongdae was rare and had Junmyeon laughing out loud. “No, you’re not obvious, not at all. And if Chanyeol knows then he’s just not saying anything.”

 

“How’d you know? Since when?”

 

“How? The way you look at him.” Junmyeon nudges his head towards Baekhyun in amusement. “When…? I was first suspicious when I found you by Baekhyun’s side of the department that one time – you only ever go there to meet Jongin and Tao and their majors are on the other side of the building.” He smiles at Jongdae knowingly. “The day you intervened Yongguk’s friends just to save him.”

 

Scrunching his nose at the last statement, Jongdae counter whines. “But if you were in my position, you would be doing the same thing.”

 

“While that is true, that is not the point here.”

 

“Ugh. You are such a mom.” Jongdae rubs his face with his hands, unbelieving of his hyung. “You creep me out sometimes you know? You know more stuff than my own mother.” which elicits laughter from the other.

 

“So…” Junmyeon turns to face him “…why Baekhyun?” and asks him in a rather fond manner, not in a condescending way but genuine curiosity, that Jongdae appreciated.

 

In reply, he sighs. “Why not hyung? Why not Baekhyun? What’s there not to like about him. He’s so…” He looks at Baekhyun who looks to be blushing over something Tao had said. “…he’s always so happy.”

“Like he lives in a happy bubble with no worries while unlike us who live under constant pressure and the heavy weight of our last names. He’s made you, me, and everyone else in our group experience happiness we’ve once forgotten. He showed us… taught us how there’s meaning in little things.”

 

Jongdae smiles at the now tomato red faced Baekhyun who was playfully slapping Tao. “How can you not hyung, when he’s so easy to love.”

 

 

The whole time Jongdae relayed his reasons, Junmyeon watches him speak. His voice was evident of how fond he is of Baekhyun, his smile was evident of how happy he was to have met him, and the way he looked at him was evident of unmistaken affection. And Junmyeon understood him. He’s right, how can you not?

He turns back to look at Baekhyun, and just the same, watches him too with fondness. They both couldn’t help their laughter as Tao was now running away from Baekhyun shrieking who was chasing him around the living room. It was a pleasant sight, something they had sadly never seen before.

 

 

Before they met Byun Baekhyun, everything in their lives was routine. It wasn’t monochrome per se, but it lacked meaning. They were too busy living up to their high profile names, trying to keep up of what their parents and society expected of them; constantly facing problems of misunderstandings and disagreements between sons and parents. Before they met Byun Baekhyun, little things did not matter; everything was about prestige and extravagance. Happiness did not come from little forms but rather big forms. It was all about money, money, money and high class. So when the incidents last year happened, they were left in shock.

 

It was rare to find someone who they never thought they could form a genuine friendship with, what with being constantly faced by people whose only intention was to use them for their own benefit. So to lose Minseok just like that, where they were not able to protect him despite the authority their name could give… They were left with regret; the reality of their situation slapping them hard that no.. they could not just go around and make friends so casually, because with it comes inevitable sacrifice.

But then Byun Baekhyun comes along, barging in their lives with his happy bubbly personality and dragging in Do Kyungsoo. Not only did they gain one friend, but two. Not only did they gain a friend but a whole lot of other things. Baekhyun taught them to appreciate life in a different perspective. He taught them to be happy despite everything, taught them that it is not about price or prestige or how high end an item is but rather.. the meaning behind it; the time spent on it, with it, and with who.

He changed every one of them in the simplest of ways.

 

“Byun Baekhyun…” Junmyeon mutters, a smile on his face as he looked at each of their friends and to Baekhyun, the center of it all.

 

“Never have I seen Tao so hyper.. that kid.” Jongdae chuckles.

 

“Well, never have I seen Jongin be all genuine smiles and no smirks of confidence.” Junmyeon adds.

 

“Mmm… best of all, never have I seen Minho hyung cry over a little thing.”

 

“Never have I seen Chanyeol look so genuinely happy… not even before his break up.”

 

They look at each other and laugh at what they have to say.

 

“Never have I seen Junmyeon hyung be this extreme motherly.”

 

“And never have I heard The Kim Jongdae speak so seriously.”

 

“What Baekhyun does to you~” They both singsong together and laugh.

 

 

 

Because Ju

Please log in to read the full chapter