thirty-seven

I am because we are (Ubuntu) [Permanent Hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter

► A switch of perspectives, besides Chanyeol’s, will now begin or has already. I will not, however, indicate whose, you will find out as you read :) As always, enjoy ♥

Word Count: 3869

 

 

Day 2 starts off light but was actually busier than that of Day 1 as Tao’s and Jongin’s major’s events were scheduled on the day. The fashion majors had their show scheduled that night and unfortunately barely at the same time as Jongin’s performance. However, fortunate to them, since they all belong to the same department, getting from one place to the other wasn’t much of a stretch – a rush there, a turn here, a run there, and a pass of a few hallways is the only distance. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were ready to rush their way from one to other.

 

Just like Day 1, Baekhyun spends the majority of Day 2 in his post in the exhibit attending to a more number of guests visiting. All throughout, he remained high alert to flee the scene once Yongguk or any of his friends appear to avoid any more traumatic experiences; too scared of a repeat.

Today, however, he receives an unexpected visit from Stranger; who he wouldn’t have known was her because of the face mask she wore – her eye smile and voice giving her away. Brushing off once again the sense of familiarity, Baekhyun gladly and gleefully shows her around.

 

 

Just like the others, Stranger is just as impressed of Baekhyun’s skill in the arts – amazing, how an artist can convey such unsaid emotions to a single image done by hand.

 

“This is cute.” She said as she eyes the artwork of the two cats.

 

Remembering the real reason of the cats – why Chanyeol got them in the first place, had Baekhyun not helping the feeling of insecurity.

“Yes, they are.”

 

Not missing the hint of sadness in his voice, she turns to him in wonder. “What’s wrong? Are they only cute because you made them cute?” She jokes.

 

Chuckling, Baekhyun shakes his head. “No, no. They’re cute… very cute. They’re both very adorable and lovely.” It’s just the reason behind them…

 

 

As Baekhyun shows her his artworks, she stops at the typography sets and read in understanding.

 

“Motto of yours?” She asks as she lightly traces the beautifully designed words.

 

Moving to stand beside her, Baekhyun nods. “Sort of?”

 

 

She stands in front of the last typography, the most painful she found among all of them.

 

“I was always hungry for love. Just once, I

wanted to know what it was like to get my

fill of it—to be fed so much love I couldn’t

take any more. Just once.

- Haruki Murakami” --

 

“C’mon now~” Baekhyun chuckles at the look of sadness in her eyes. “Everything’s okay.”

“At least for now…” He mutters last more to himself.

 

With a smile as shown in her eyes, she shows her support with encouraging words. “You’ll find love, I’m sure you will.” and holds his hand to lightly squeeze in fondness. “Maybe you already found it even, you have just yet to see.” She winks playfully which elicits laughter from Baekhyun.

 

“Yeah. Maybe.”

 

 

Once again, Baekhyun is met by an abrupt leave this time, however, initiated by himself. Across his exhibit area, not far from his team’s side, was Yongguk looking around with a friend who was unfortunately Baekhyun’s co-exhibitor. Upon recognizing the same face that nearly ruined his artwork twice, out of a rush of panic, he pulls on Stranger’s hand to immediately leave the scene. He’d rather they look at his artworks, if ever they come around his area, without his presence. Without question, Stranger follows suit.

 

 

From a distance away the exhibit venue, Junmyeon sees Baekhyun and a familiar figure exit in laughter. His heart turns from calm to beating rapidly in a second.

 

 

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

“Minho?” He says as he holds his hand. “I’m scared.”

 

“Of what?” Minho turns to him in concern but receives nothing in reply, only the squeezing tight of his hand.

 

At the faraway look Junmyeon had, he follows his gaze. Worry immediately settles on his features, fear rapidly beating his heart as he watches the same scene as Junmyeon’s from a distance, even more so at the recall of an earlier detail.

 

“Hyungss!” a shrill excited scream distracts them as Tao skips happily towards them. “What’s up?!”

But then at the look of worry both etched on their faces, he asks. “What’s wrong?”

 

He receives nothing in reply but a turn of heads towards a specific direction. And as Tao follow their gaze, he too is left with an equal amount of fear.

“Baekhyun… knows… Yejin?” He gulps.

 

“Tao, it’s not only that.” Junmyeon’s voice wavers. “Earlier, Yongguk entered the exhibit. What if… What if they…”

 

“I don’t think they’ve met, don’t worry.” Minho cuts in, putting an arm around Junmyeon’s shoulders to soothe him of his worries. “Judging from the way they’re laughing… I don’t think they both know anything.”

 

“Ummm… Minho hyung? Junmyeon hyung?...” They turn to look at Tao. “That’s not the only thing.”

 

“What is?”

 

Hesitantly, Tao reveals what he too found out the day before. “Yesterday I…”

 

“Yesterday you what Tao?” Junmyeon asks, worry increasing tenfold.

 

“Baekhyun knows Minseok too.”

 

 

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

The night of the second day had more people coming in and out compared to that of yesterday. Hence why the university fields and event areas has double the people. But this was understandable, as many of the main events were scheduled this night, which means Tao’s fashion show and Jongin’s performance would be a full house.

 

The first in schedule was the fashion show. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo excitedly find their seats having been given tickets while the rest watch in the sidelines around the area. To say that Baekhyun felt underdressed was an understatement, because he feels entirely out of place. While people around him, majority fashion students, were dressed extravagantly showing off their taste in high fashion, Baekhyun had on a simple white tee covered by a plain black sweater and dark jeans. Then again, he is proud of his white tee with a graphic design drawn by Baekhyun himself with a sharpie, which was highly praised by his friends at his creativity.

 

“I feel so out of place.” Baekhyun mutters mindlessly that was heard by Kyungsoo.

 

“Pssh. You look great Baek.” Kyungsoo slaps him in the thigh. “I love your shirt, make me one?”

“And who are you to say you’re underdressed? Look at me, I’m overdressed.” He complains with a cross of arms.

 

Baekhyun looks at Kyungsoo, checking him out and his unfortunate choice of fashion.

“But Soo~ there’s nothing wrong with a rainbow tie dye shirt. You look fabulous!~” He snorts and tries to muffle his laughter.

 

“Tch. Shut it Baek. I blame my brother for spilling that juice in my shirt when he visited earlier.”

 

“Your brother was here?” He bites his lips trying harder not to laugh as he guessed the spill was intentional.

 

“Yeah. And he only had this as an extra. That brat.” Kyungsoo huffs.

 

Not able to hold back, Baekhyun laughs quietly as he covers his mouth while he slaps his thigh. “Sounds intended to me.” He mutters, earning a glare from his friend.

 

 

 

Not too far from them, a few rows behind, were Team E.B. seated beside each other with the exemption of Jongin who was getting ready for his own major’s event, and Tao who was just backstage. However, instead of feeling pure excitement, Minho and Junmyeon had mixed feelings of worry. The earlier unexpected reveal of relationships between Baekhyun and their past never leaving their minds. The worry increases even more to the point of the ever so calm Junmyeon fidgets beside Minho as he spots Yejin on the sidelines and Minseok from across; slightly thankful that Chanyeol and Jongdae have yet to notice.

 

Junmyeon watches Yejin who too hasn’t noticed their presence at the too crowded venue. She was barely recognizable, even more with the face mask and the large glasses she had on as well as the large hoodie she wore covering her hair. It wasn’t an odd sight; in fact, she blends in with the other people who had a similar wear of clothes. But Junmyeon has known her long enough to easily recognize her stance and her eyes alone. The same goes for the rest of Team E.B. as she was once part of the group. He sees her wave to someone and he looks to where she’s waving, he sees Baekhyun happily wave back.

After a moment later, as Yejin was distracted by something else, he sees Baekhyun wave again to someone else. He was waving to Minseok and his friend beside him. Minseok did not wave back but simply nodded his head in acknowledgment, a fond smile on his face while his friend on the other hand, waved back just as enthusiastically.

He did not know what to feel. Everything felt too abrupt and unexpected – a sudden turn of events from calm to an inevitable brewing confrontation; the thought of the meeting of the five parties causing his insides to twist and turn.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter