thirty-six

I am because we are (Ubuntu) [Permanent Hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Word Count: 2799

 

 

Despite the breakdown he had with Stranger a few days ago, Baekhyun is once again distracted and back to his state of happy-go-lucky and carefree attitude as he faces the school’s most awaited festival. Filled with excitement and happiness, he faces Day 1 full of smiles and laughter.

 

But it’s funny how Fate plays her games…

 

 

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

The exhibit prepared by the Arts Majors was filled with rows and rows of artworks by different students as well as specifically selected works by professors. Beautifully done, artistically made, and placed next to each other were artworks in different sizes and images. There were installations – mini sculptures to even human sized, big and small, simple to extremely creative; scattered all throughout the venue. There were weird looking pieces hung on the walls and even the few low ceilings creating a magical effect when passed by. All separated into different assigned sub-themes under one general theme. There was a live band playing on the mini stage set up by the center in collaboration with the music department. Numbers and numbers of people from outsiders to fellow students alike come and go to check out what’s inside and leave with smiles on their faces at the pretty displays.

 

 

Standing in one corner for his scheduled shift, Baekhyun was assigned to give a tour to whoever enters and asks. He stands proud at the success of the exhibit behind him that he participated in, greeting guests with a huge genuine smile on his face enjoying the event himself.

 

“Baekhyun!~”

 

“Minseok!! Yixing!!” Baekhyun greets with enthusiasm, hugging them in full excitement of ‘finally, people he knows’. “Are you here to check it out?” He bounces in glee eliciting laughter from the two friends.

 

“Why not? This place looks wonderful! Great job Baekhyun.” Yixing says as he looks around.

 

“Thank you!!!~ Come in come in! I’ll show you around~” Baekhyun pulls them both inside and excitedly proceeds his tour.

 

 

 

Amidst the crowd of the whole place, Tao and Kyungsoo stood a distance away and far from each other, cautious on maintaining their secret friendship and not missing the whole exchange. They were on their way to visit Baekhyun albeit discreetly on Tao’s end. But Kyungsoo was stopped from further approaching at the sudden call he received.

 

“Yeah?” Kyungsoo says as he accepts the call, making sure to not mention any name to avoid students within earshot from catching on.

 

“I didn’t know.. B knew them.” Tao says puzzled.

 

“Who?” Following his gaze, Kyungsoo sees as Baekhyun pulls on two figures he recognizes. “Oh… Kim Min.. Seok..” He mutters quietly.

 

“Hey.” Tao’s voice now had a hint of worry. “I know we’ve never talked about it, let alone even mention it but.. Does B know who he is?”

 

“I don’t… think so?” Kyungsoo shakes his head.

“I guess it’s ‘cause…” He chuckles. “I know Baekhyun. No matter how big a rumor can get or even how big a ‘scandal’ can be he’d remain oblivious.”

 

“Is that bad?” He glances at Tao’s direction a little concerned. “For Baekhyun to know him?”

 

“Hm? Of course not!.” Tao shakes his head in protest. “He’s an amazing person as opposed to what people made him out to be.”

“I’m just… worried, is all.”

 

“Worried about what?”

 

“If people finds out about you know.. us.” Tao whispers cautiously but enough for Kyungsoo to hear. “And then people connect them both….”

A pause – his worry now increasing at the recall of past memories.

 

 

“Hello? You okay?”

 

“I’ll tell hyung, is that okay?”

 

“Of course.”

 

 

 

 

Back inside the exhibit, Baekhyun is enjoying himself, proudly showing off his artworks along with the rest and just the whole exhibit in general. He pulls both Minseok and Yixing here and there pointing and explaining certain things. The two friends are enjoying themselves as well, taken aback at the beginning at how Baekhyun was apparently such a warm and happy person and now laughing along, pointing and asking questions.

One part of the exhibit was given to Byun Baekhyun as one of the special students to showcase his talent in many works. He brings the two friends there, his first visit, to proudly show off for the first time the only talent he greatly prides in.

 

“This is your house?” Yixing asks.

 

“That? Oh! No, that’s my dream house. I know it’s simple but–”

 

“It’s beautiful Baekhyun.”

 

 

“How ‘bout this Baek? Your cats?” Minseok points to a painting above.

 

“No, someone else’s, but they’re so cute I had to paint them!~” Baekhyun answers excitedly. “They’re both adorable and very playful and fluffy–” He continues to ramble like a little child.

 

“Oh Baek.” Minseok couldn’t help but laugh at the excited boy, patting his head fondly.

 

 

As Yixing walks further, he notices how the works turn from light to melancholic. It turns from pretty images to simple but creative typography.

 

“Everything will pass. Be strong, and hold on.” --

 

“Don’t let your past define, destroy, or defeat you.

Let your past strengthen you.” --

 

Yixing reads and stops in front of them while Minseok follows to stand beside him.

“These are beautiful Baekhyun.” He says as he sees the meaning of the words.

 

Baekhyun walks to stand alongside them, looking at the same works they look at. “Thank you.”

 

Looking to his side, Minseok can see the turn of melancholic look in Baekhyun’s eyes, the same melancholy the works expressed.

“Do these words, serve as your motto?”

 

“Mmm…” Baekhyun barely answers.

 

For a moment it was silent, the two friends sensing how meaningful the works are to the artist. But the silence was broken by a smiling Baekhyun, a smile that looks more sad than happy.

 

“I wish.” He says suddenly. “But words are easier said than done…” and mutters quietly after but still enough for the two to hear.

 

As if sadness were never reflected in his eyes, Baekhyun suddenly turns to them with a bright radiant smile, his bubbly-self returning in a flash, slightly startling Minseok and Yixing at the sudden change of demeanor.

 

“I read the words somewhere and thought they were great so I thought I’d make these. Maybe it can help inspire other people who read it, you know?”

 

Please log in to read the full chapter