twenty-four

I am because we are (Ubuntu) [Permanent Hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Word Count: 1432

 

 

Shopping for Christmas gifts was both exciting and a burden. It was exciting because the mere thought of looking for something to gift to someone, thinking of how they’ll react to a thoughtful gift, sends a swarm of fluttery feelings inside of him. Then again, for two years, he’s only ever really bothered to give one gift – to his only friend Kyungsoo. And it helps that Kyungsoo was never the picky type and has always appreciated Baekhyun’s gifts although small. He does take time to save money for it though, ends up spending nearly months of savings for just one occasion. However, it was a burden due to his limited financial capability. And now that he is part of Team E.B., the burden has increased tenfold – from only worrying about one gift the past Christmases, now there’s an added seven gifts to worry about.

 

 

Wandering around the mall, mindlessly checking out interesting stores he passes, he looks for potential gifts. He passes clothes shops – both brands he’s heard of and brands he’s only seen for the first time but never bothered to remember; passes stalls that sell a variety of things – from cheap clothing to fake and pretty eye catching accessories to fake brands; even passing several restaurants that he used to drool over wondering what the foods tasted like before he met Team E.B.

 

A gift shop in pretty pastel color theme catches his attention. He walks to it and stands by the window hesitant to enter and looks at what is inside. There were a variety of very pretty things – clocks in different shapes and designs, vases in different colors and patterns, notebooks with different cover designs, stuff toys from animals to giant fruits to even weird looking monsters, kitchen utensils with cute designs like a pair of angel and devil salt and pepper shakers; there were a few apparels too – tees with printed owls, a seeming trend, plain canvas shoes for personal designs, caps and hats alike with attached ears.

 

What got his attention though, somehow luring him inside the shop, was a pretty typography the size of a large canvas hung on the wall of the words ‘we fall in love with people we can’t have’. A chuckle escapes his lips as he found it funny how beside it was a creative photo of the words ‘love me like I love you’, both of which applies to him.

He walks over closer to check its prices, having the desire to buy it not necessarily for gifting but for himself. With a heavy sigh and a bittersweet smile, he thinks again. The price of each were too expensive for him.. maybe next time.

 

As he was about to leave, a pretty girl stands beside him and eyes the same photos he is eyeing.

 

“Love me like I love you.” The girl says to no one in particular, Baekhyun glances at her oddly and sees a look of longing in her eyes.

 

“Do you have someone you love too but do not love you the same way?” She continues without looking away the photo, now directing the question to the boy beside her.

 

Albeit with faint bitterness, Baekhyun replies. “Yeah. You too?”

 

The girl meekly nods and Baekhyun misses the same bittersweet smile that appeared too on her lips.

 

For a moment, the two stand in front of the photos in oddly comfortable silence. It seems that both of them share the same sentiment.

 

“Are you getting this?” She asks as she turns to him startling Baekhyun.

 

“N-no. No. Y-you may get it.. if you want.” He stutters, flustered at the sudden attention and unintentionally avoids her eyes. His reaction though elicits a quiet chuckle from the girl.

 

“Thank you.” She says and proceeds to take a hold of the large photo ‘love me like I love you’ and with one last glance and a nod of thanks; she walks to the counter to make her purchase.

 

Baekhyun watches her for a moment, sighing heavily and a last longing look at the photo as the girl hands it to the cashier. He returns his gaze back to the typography photo, longing look gone and replaced by a slight

Please log in to read the full chapter