fifteen

I am because we are (Ubuntu) [Permanent Hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Word Count: 3049

 

 

Tonight’s gathering was held at Kyungsoo’s, not so forcibly inviting them to his home because he wanted them to taste his cooking after a held practicum a few nights ago. The whole group, especially Jongin, was delighted at the invite and immediately scheduled the date; everyone but Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun adored Kyungsoo, loves him as a dear friend and is extremely grateful they met, but his family was another story. Every time his friend invited him over he’d either politely decline or agree but dread the visit—never did he look forward to visiting the Do’s residence.

 

 

When Baekhyun was first invited over two months of their friendship he had no idea what to expect. It was a lot of firsts for him—first time to visit a friend’s home, first time to step foot on a large house, first time to mingle with a rich family. So when he was seated together with the rest of Kyungsoo’s family to have dinner, he was at a loss.

The dinner consisted of a table that looked more like a buffet at a restaurant—several different dishes neatly arranged on the center spinning table, two kinds of pitches of drinks plus water, pretty and complicated for Baekhyun table setting. The whole table screamed rich and all he wanted to do at that time was shrink and run away. He knew no about these kinds of dinners because the kind he grew up with only consisted of most of the time one dish, a spoon and a fork, and a glass of water. So he politely declined.

He was thankful no one questioned his lack of appetite, maybe because this isn’t new to them. In the end he only ate three hotdogs that was served for his friend’s younger brother, the easiest to eat out of the bunch.

But what ended his night in humiliation and dread and not wanting to come back, was the questioning of his background and his life in general by Kyungsoo’s mother—where do you live? What do your parents do? Where did you spend high school? I bet your parents are proud of your choice of school. Why arts? That is such an easy course to pick? It was kind of like a surprise attack to him and ended up answering with the first lies and excuses his brain could think of.

 

That was the beginning, the beginning of the making of his ‘rich identity’. That was also the beginning of his adamant refusal and avoiding of social gatherings. That was also when he learned how apparently important status is.

 

 

 

 

 

The ride to Kyungsoo’s place was filled by the baker’s excited voice and Baekhyun’s forced smiles and laughter. It was obvious to him that his friend was very excited of the group’s gathering in his home by the way he has been squealing excitedly of the dishes he prepared and the excited blush on his cheeks at the thought that Jongin would be coming over.

 So he’s doing everything in his control to not ruin the moment by the unresponsive not in the mood full of anxiety behavior he would rather show.

 

At the sight of the two angel statues by each side of the gates from a distance, Baekhyun’s anxiety doubles. He hopes and prays to every god out there that the house is empty and only their group would be present; which is likely because his friend’s parents were always busy.

 

Upon arrival, Kyungsoo skipped his way inside while Baekhyun was near shaking because of the anxiety he felt. A huge breath of relief was let out at the words Kyungsoo’s maid uttered “Your parents are not home and your brother will be sleeping over at a friend’s.”

 

The two friends spent their remaining time till the group’s arrival doing last minute preparations, Baekhyun forgetting his anxiety at the absence of the parents and let himself enjoy the moment.

 

 

The first to arrive were Jongdae and Tao who both had their jaws dropped at the pretty interior of the Do’s household.

 

“Wow Soo! The place totally fits you! All pure and white.” Tao said with awe.

 

“I didn’t know your family loved the combination of white, white, and white.” Jongdae teases while he looked at every corner. While there were other colors in the house, white was the main point.

 

The sight was funny to Baekhyun because he thought he was the only one who experiences such awe at such rich wealthy interior. While Kyungsoo beside him was laughing at the two’s reaction and proceeded to explain that his mother just had a thing for white and neatness while his father only cared about their kitchen since he was a chef.

 

 

The next to arrive were Minho and Junmyeon followed close by Jongin who all but scrambled to engulf his Kyungsoo in a tight big hug because of his excitement.

 

They were all happily lounging in the living room as they waited for the last person to arrive before they went for dinner, much to Baekhyun’s hidden impatience and excitement—Jongin looking at the photos displayed while Kyungsoo followed around like a puppy either explaining or trying to hide the photos, Tao and Jongdae having a staring battle, Minho and Junmyeon admiring the interior, and Baekhyun silent and fidgeting while seated on the couch. He was still feeling anxious as he dreaded the arrival of the parents and Chanyeol’s presence was his only form of security, not that the other’s weren’t.. just that the taller’s presence somehow sent assuring comfort to Baekhyun.

 

 

Unfortunate for Baekhyun, Kyungsoo’s parents arrived before Chanyeol and decided to join the group for dinner and not wait for him.

 

“Oh this is lovely, Kyungsoo has never brought this many friends before.” Mrs. Do began. “It’d be nice if you all introduced yourselves.”

 

At the far end corner far from the parent’s seat, Baekhyun sat beside Tao and across Jongdae. The anxiety he felt before now increased tenfold and he has been discreetly trying to hide behind Tao so as to avoid the mom’s attention, especially now that she’s busy asking the same questions she asked Baekhyun on their first meeting—names, last names, backgrounds, etc.

 

Busy trying his best to calm his rapid beating heart and mind swirling of automatic excuses to prepare himself of questions that might be asked, he did not notice Jongdae’s curious and concerned eyes across the table.

 

“Baekhyun?” He whispers.

 

“…”

 

“Baekhyun?”

 

The sight of Baekhyun’s shaking hand as he tried to drink his water increased Jongdae’s concern, so he silently tapped the brunette’s leg with his foot under the table to try and get his attention.

 

Baekhyun looked up at the feel of the tapping foot and was greeted with Jongdae’s concerned eyes while he mouthed the words ‘are you okay?’ to which he replied with a slight nod and a small smile that was obviously forced.

 

The next thing he felt was the warmth of a hand on his that belonged to Tao beside him who was apparently informed of Jongdae’s worry over their friend. Tao interlaced their fingers under the table as he felt the hand shivering from whatever reason he did not know but concerned both him and Jongdae. The simple act calming Baekhyun at least a little and was able to breathe in more properly.

 

“How about you Baekhyun dear, how have you been? It’s been so long hasn’t it?”

 

At the sudden attention he received from Kyungsoo’s mother, all the more the attention of the whole table that followed; had Baekhyun frozen in the spot.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter