Cultural Festival

You Are The Only One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyoyeon's POV:-

It was the day of the cultural music festival. Everyone was gathered at the school that day for the opening, students from the neighbouring schools have also flocked to see our festival, even our parents has come. It was a tradition in our school which was held every year in the same day with some competitions among the students. Yoona was getting prepared as she was going to do the opening dance, as usual showing off because her father, the trustee of the school was present there. But I knew what I had to do, I secretly took her shoes and put sticky glue on the back side to make it stick on the floor more. But doing it, I never felt bad or guilty once. After a while she came to me and asked if she was looking fat or not, fixing herself in the mirror. The opening act was starting soon. Yoona quickly put on her shoes and after walking a few steps, she turned back and looked at me.

''What's wrong with these shoes?'' She asked.

''Nothing. They were fine just a minute ago'' I said, my heart fluttering with happiness.

''Its sticky, how can I perform like this?'' She exclaimed. ''Give me another pair''

''Ugh! There isn't any other pair'' I said.

''WHAT?!'' She shouted, her voice filling the whole backstage. ''WHY DIDN'T YOU KEEP AN EXTRA PAIR?''

''I never thought we would need it'' I said.

The curtains were up. Yoona's name was announced and she was supposed to be on stage. Everyone was eagerly waiting for her dance. Her father was just at the front seat with her whole family, our school principal and other teachers. 

Yoona sat on a chair, sweating like a pig, her perfectly tied up hair was now hanging at one side, her masscara smudged all over her eyes. I was so happy seeing her at that state. I went to her side and kneeled before her. 

''Yoona, I think you shouldn't perform. You cannot go out there like this, what will others think?'' I said with as much as sympathy I could build up in my voice. 

Yoona stood up, took a tissue and cleared her make-up, let her hair down and threw her shoes at one side. Others kept announcing her name, the students kept cheering her. She started walking towards the stage. I quickly grabbed her hand and whirled her around. ''What are you doing?'' I asked, surprised. 

''Hyoyeon, I am going to perform'' She said meekly.

''What? You can't, not like this'' I practically shouted at her.

''I have to, I have to be the perfect daughter, my family is looking forward to this'' She said softly.

I have never seen Yoona this way before. She was always bossy, mean and selfish. And what does she mean by the perfect daughter? She is perfect in everyway. Still, I tried to stop her but she was so determined, as if her life depended on this. I didn't understand what was she upto. Why a simple dance was so meaningful to her. She slowly went towards the stage, barefoot, no make-up, the spotlight was on her. I quickly texted Sunny to meet me backstage. She came a few minutes later and her first words were ''WHAT DID YOU DO?''

Yoona grabbed the mic from the student that was hosting. She meekly smiled and started her speech.

''Thank you everyone for coming here, I decicate this special dance for...for my family. We will be graduating soon...and ugh... this is our last year and our last cultural music festival'' Yoona kept going on, her voice breaking up from time to time and she spoke slowly. I could tell she was not in her usual self. It didn't feel right, somehow, this was wrong. Yoona's voice felt helpless, for the first time. She kept glancing at the front row. She sounded like someone I knew so well, someone I lived with my whole life. She sounded like ME. Did I do a mistake?

''Sunny please go and stop them from playing her CD'' I told her, not taking my eyes of off Yoona.

''What?'' She asked. ''But why? Is this your revenge? To not let her perform?'' Sunny asked, her voice a little louder than usual.

''No, the...the CD, it contains...it...has'' I searched for words to explain myself. That's when reality hit me. Everything went through a flashback in my mind. I asked myself, 'WHO AM I AND WHAT HAVE I DONE?'

But I couldn't even finish my sentence when Yoona got ready to dance and the CD was played. Instead of Yoona's song, a voice was heard,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter