You're My Miracle

I Can See Your Heart

Chapter One

When I was five, my mother told me that I couldn't see. I didn't understand what she meant by that. My mother told me that I went to a different school from others, who were "normal". I was itching to know if there was something more to the world I lived in, but my mother told me that I could never experience it.

My neighbour, Seung Gi, was the only "normal" friend I had, my mom said.

Growing up, I realised what my mother meant. Whenever I opened my eyes, I would see nothingness. Whereas, according to Seung Gi, others would see something filled with happiness and emotions. Instead of just feeling emotions, they could see it.

"Suzy? Suzy, stop playing and come here," My mom snapped, and I got off the swing. I swung out my umbrella and let it lead the way to my house.

"Suzy, you're going the wrong way! It's this way." Following her voice, I entered my house.

"Auntie, she's doing really well!" I heard my best friend exclaim. I heard the squeak of the chair leg, and knew he was sitting on a chair.

My face immediately lit up, but I frowned. "Yah, if you were watching from the sidelines, you coulda helped."

"Aunt said you must learn to walk by yourself. And you're doing fine!"

Just then, the doorbell rang, and his mother popped in. "Seung Gi? It's late. Let's go."

My best friend plopped down and bid us goodbyes. As he left, I could hear his mother whisper, "She's blind! Why are you still hanging out with her?"

I heard them argue for abit as they left.


I couldn't help but feel sad.


But if I had known it was the last time I was 'seeing' him, I would've held him back. Anything.


Because when he left... I felt like I had no one. Mom always works overtime and comes home late. And she would always throw critical remarks at me, saying that I'm useless, and stuff.

That day was my birthday. The only person I had invited was Seung Gi, but he hadn't turned up. All night I waited for him to come, telling myself reassuring words, but he never did turn up. My mom helped me relight the candles on my cake again and again, but he never came.

He was the only one who was patient with me, and loved me the way I am. He never gave up on me.

 

Before he entered my life, my world was always dark and dull.

He was my miracle, my shining star. He was the one who told me that I wasn't blind. That I was just able to hear well.

He was the only one who didn't despise me, and patiently taught me to live like a normal person.

But little did I know, the more dependent I grew towards him, the weaker I got.

And when he left, the only shimmering light of hope... went out.

 

-


-10 years later-


"Mom! We finished selling the newspapers, now what do I do?" I ran over to my mother's stall, the umbrella leading my way.

"Here," She grunted, passing me two glasses of soy milk. "Give it to table 49."

I slowly made my table, but before I even made two steps, I bumped into someone. "Oh! Sorry! I'm really sorry," The person apologised. Some soy milk spilled onto my wrist. "It's okay," I said.

2 cups in one hand, and the umbrella in the other, I made my way to the table.

"Let me help you," The same voice said, taking the two cups from my hand. I frowned, thinking that he might be stealing the drink. Everyone in the market knew I was blind, and although I had made some friends, there were still some people who took advantage of me. And I was assuming he was one of those people.

Table 40.. 41... and finally, I reached table 49. The man had placed the drinks on the table, and calculated the money. "Here," He said, handing the notes to me.

I felt it, and to my surprise, it was more money than the cost. "I'll go get the change," I said, making my way back to my mother's stall.

Returning with the change, I thanked them, not realising that the man that I bumped into was still there, and looking at me.

The day was jam packed, and mom had asked me to serve the customers her drinks a few times, but it was no problem to me.

 

Finally, night had arrived, and the shops were closing.

"Excuse me, but the shops are closing. Are you done with your drink?" My mom asked someone. 

I could hear the annoyance in her voice, and I wanted to chide her for being too rude, but held it in. Mom had always been too straightforward.

"Alright, thanks for the wonderful drink," The man said, and the scraping of the feet told me that he was standing up. I frowned as I recognised the person's voice. I never forget a person's voice.

It was the man from earlier, who helped me serve a customer. Maybe he wanted me to thank him before he left.

"Suzy, head back first. There's some leftover curry in the fridge, heat up and eat it. Leave half for me. I'll pack up," My mother told me.

I nodded, slowly making my way back home.

The night must be dark now, from what my mother says, but I was never afraid of the dark. Afterall, I lived in a world of darkness.

I breathed in the fresh night air, but then I stopped when I heard another pair of footsteps behind me.

The moment I stopped, the footsteps stopped.

I continued walking again, and the footsteps continued. I gulped, and ran full speed, losing my sense of direction.

Which way was my house? I couldn't quite make out the way now that i didn't use my umbrella to guide me.

The footsteps stopped just as I stopped, my heartbeat accelerating. The person's heartbeat thudded in sync with mine.

"W-what do you want?" I croaked, hoping to sound as normal as possible. Or did he know I was blind? Was that why he was targeting me?

"Hey, I'm sorry I scared you. It's just.. it didn't seem safe for you to be going home alone so late at night." I gulped. It was that voice.

"What do you care? I do that all the time. A-anyway, thank you for um, helping me earlier this morning," I said. "You can leave," I added.

"Are you sure? You look lost. And I didn't mean to follow you, really. It's just.. you're walking in the direction of my house."

I blinked. "Oh."

"Holy !" Another voice appeared out of nowhere. I recognised it as Taemin's. "It's that blind gurl. What does she want now, huh?" He spat.

I swallowed. Uh oh. What did he want now? It was always my brother Wonho standing up for me whenever someone tries to bully me. But he's not here now.

"She's not blind. She's just able to hear well." The man snorted beside me. My eyes widened at his words. He sounded so much like Seung Gi.

"Oh, yea?!" Taemin smirked. "What can you do about this-" Taemin slapped the umbrella out of my hand and gripped onto my wrist tightly. A scream escaped my lips.

Then, a loud thud could be heard, followed by a strangled cry.

Taemin clutched onto his face where the man had hit him, glaring holes into his eyes. "You'll regret it," Taemin whispered.

I gasped, realising what had happened. "Stop it!" I said, frantically searching for my umbrella.

The man quickly bent down and retrieved my umbrella, tugging my arm as he sprinted to our left.

"You'll regret it!!!!" Taemin shouted as we continued running.

We stopped for several moments, and I could tell he was looking back to see if Taemin was following.

Gasing for air, I collapsed onto the ground just as he said there was no sign of Taemin. "Where-where are we?" I choked, but he didn't reply.

"Hello??"

"Oh, yeah, what?"

"I said, where are we?"

"I-I'm not sure," He confessed.

"Great. Now we're lost," I grunted.

"What's your address?" He asked, helping me up.

I told him my address. "Wait. Speak slower."

I repeated, slower this time.

"No way. That's like close to my house."

I gasped. "What? Oh no, that's bad luck."

"Why? You don't like me?"

"Why would I like you? But.. Thanks, though. For speaking up for me."

We entered out house and bid our goodbyes.

I went into the kitchen and took the curry out from the fridge, then felt my way to the oven, and heated it up.

Just as I started eating, my mother entered the house. I put the spoon to my mouth, but dropped it in surprise as my mother screamed, "Yah! How much have you eaten? I said to leave half for me!"

"I-I.."

She made her way towards me and took the spoon out of my hands. "Go and fold the clothes! Wonho will be back late today, so be sure to iron his clothes before he goes to work tomorrow." She demanded. "I don't know how much money I wasted on you... so be appreciative you already have food to eat! Look at how poor we are. So do your work properly so at least one of us can earn more money," She muttered.

"Seriously, I wish you'd just dissappear from my life. I wish I hadn't given birth to you, such a waste of space," I heard her mumble as she stormed out the room.

I bit my lips as I went to get the clothes from the laundry basket. Carrying it to my bed, I started to slowly fold the clothes. 

Even though i knew my mother did not mean what she said, it still hurt to hear her say that she hated me- that she hated my existence.

My life was always the same, never changing-- First thing in the morning, sell newspapers and magazines, and when I've sold it all out, I would help my mother with her drink stall. How can I, a blind, helpless girl like me serve customers, you may ask?

Firstly, I may be blind, but I'm not helpless. Secondly, all my life, I have lived in the same place, been the same route, so I have mostly recognised the place and how it should look like. And every night when there's no one around, and when I'm free, I would feel around the market, memorising the tables in the market.

My friends were from the other stall owners, and anyone who knew me would know that I'm a friendly person.

And, every now and then, I would help my mother with the housework. When I was 3, my mother remarried, and gave birth to my brother, Wonho. But when he soon found out I was blind, he ran away, just like my birth father.

I was like a curse, and everyone hated me.

I snapped out of my thoughts when Wonho returned home, the door clanking loudly in place.

He groaned and fell onto his bed, doing what he always did- striping right in front of me, because I couldn't see anyway. Like seriously, doesn't he even feel embarrassed?

"So how's work?" I asked, folding the clothes. I recognised the feel of the fabric, so I roughly knew whose clothes was whose.

"Bad," My brother groaned. "I had to run around places and nobody wanted to buy the product. My boss cut my salary."

"Oh," Was all I said, not knowing what to say to that. I never had a real job, so I never knew how tough it could be. Selling newspapers was easy, apart from feeling the hot sun beating down on my face. And after learning to feel money since young, I could differentiate $2 from $5, so money was never a hard task. And, if I looked down, some wouldn't even notice I was blind.

Just then, I heard Wonho snoring. Was he asleep already?

"Hey, aren't you gonna bathe first?" I asked.

"I'm tired. I'll bathe tomorrow," He grumbled.

I frowned and wrinkled my nose in distaste. "You stink," I grunted. Tonight was going to be a tough night for me.

 


 

 

The next day I woke up bright and early, and was surprised to bump into the man from earlier yesterday.

"Hey, Suzy. You're heading out for business?" He asked.

I nodded. Wait. There was something I couldn't pintpoint on... "How did you know my name?"

"I heard your mom say your name," He replied. Oh. Come to think of it, I didn't even know his name.

We strolled to the market. "What's your name?"

He hesitated for a moment. "Dae Woong. Do you... need any help? I'm free, anyway."

l frowned. I didn't like him saying that. I'm sure he was just making fun of me. "No thanks. I can manage well myself. Don't you have any work?"

"Nah. I'm the boss, so I can slack."

"Oh..." Wow. So proud and arrogant.

I sighed, trying to get away from him to my stall. My mother had gone to set up her drinks stall while I brought the newspapers, and when I reached we quickly set up the stall.

"Are you sure you don't need any help?" He asked.

I shook my head. Gosh. He was getting irritating. I didn't need his help, and I most definitely didn't need his sympathy.

I sat in the hot sun, shouting for people to buy newspapers or magazines. There was no progress, but seeming that it was quite quiet, Dae Woong must have left. Good.

I felt for my water bottle, and took a sip. People could steal any newspapers, but with my leg next to the table, l would know if anyone did.

I heard a shuffling of footsteps, but the person didn't buy anything. I waited for a long moment, when suddenly a raid of people started buying many magazines.

It sold out in 15 minutes flat, and it was exhausting, but I didn't need to stay under the hot sun any longer.

"You're blind?" I heard a husky voice from my left, and I slowly nodded. I heard him rub his hands together.

Just then, I was interrupted by a familiar voice. "Suzy, you done selling all? I can help you pack up." It was Dae Woong.

Wait. What was he doing here? I thought he had left. "No thanks-"

But he helped me pack up anyway.

As we packed up, my hand ran across an unfamiliar shape. It was a cardboard, and I definitely didn't own any cardboard.

"What's... this?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

Dae Woong quickly snatched it away. "It's nothing."

I frowned, but shoved the thought away. "What's wrong with you? I said I didn't need your help. And you were there all along?"

"Sorry. But that man definitely had some intentions."

"Intentions? I'm sure he was just being concerned."

"Overly concerned. And I'm concerned about you too, so why do you think otherwise?"

"I had a bad past, and I definitely do not trust people. You're just being weird even if you're trying to be friendly. You're overdoing it. Just do your own business."

Dae Woong sighed. "Listen, I... I'm sorry. You just remind me of a friend I had. She was blind too, but my mom.. my mom said she died," His voice cracked. "And you remind me of her. Your name's Suzy too, it's so much of a coincidence."

My eyes widened. My heart softened. He thought of me as his friend, just as I thought of him as Seung Gi.

"Oh. I'm so sorry."

"It's alright. It's been so many years, but I still can't forget her. She may be blind, but I loved her. Her flaws didn't matter, she was just her, and she was different."

Tears filled my eyes. It must be so sad.

"If you want me to go... I'll go, then," He said, but I stopped him.

"Wait! You remind me of my friend as well. Maybe we can help each other out," I stated simply. I needed to cling onto the thought of Seung Gi, even if he had left me. Because even though he left me without a word, I still longed for him.

There was a long pause. "Okay. So... friends?" He stuck out his hand.

"Neighbours," I corrected.

Seung Gi blinked and cleared his throat awkwardly when he realised I didn't take his hand. Of course, what am i thinking? She can't see. 

His face burned, and for the first time he was glad I couldn't see. 

"Al-alright then, let's go."

We slowly trudged back to our house. I tried to drive onto the topic of that cardboard I felt earlier. Now, I was really curious to what it was.

"...And then suddenly so many people started buying newspapers. Like one second my stall was failing, and the next, it revived. Do you know what happened? Is it something to do with the cardboard?"

Dae Woong stopped. "I...It's nothing."

"Why do you keep saying it's nothing? It's obviously something. Hey, you can tell me. We're friends now, right?"

"All right... but don't hunt me for it. I just wanted to help you, really. So I kinda wrote something on the cardboard. I wrote, The sky is beautiful, but I can't see it. Appreciate every word and feeling put into reading the newspapers while you can."

I stopped in my tracks. That was the sweetest thing anyone could do for me. "Are you serious??"

"Okay, I'm sorry. But look, your business was a huge success-"

I smiled, and pulled him into a hug. I remembered the way Seung Gi used to hug me randomly everytime. And it felt so the same. And this time, it was me doing it.

 

 


 

 

 The next day I got up early to ring Dae Woong's doorbell, but there was no reply.

"Why isn't he answering the door?? You said he'd help set up the stall," My mother grunted impatiently.

"Maybe he's in the toilet," I said. I wasn't really fine with having Dae Woong help me set up the stall, but I wanted him around, so I told my mother about it. And maybe I shouldn't have.

"He's not in the toilet, he's just slouched on the couch, reading a book! That's just plain rude, ignoring us," My mother complained.

"He is?" I asked, frowning.

I pounded on the door, but there was no reply. "Suzy if you're lying to me--"

"I'm not!" I protested. We were about to leave, when suddenly the door swung open.

"Suzy? You're here?" Dae Woong asked. "We rang the doorbell several times," I told him.

"Oh. You did? Sorry, I... I might've been too engrossed in my book."

I frowned. Sure, he might be engrossed, but who would be so engrossed to not hear so much noise?

 


After work, we quickly made our way back home. My mother had contracted a slight fever, and we quickly gave her some medicine. Even though we told her to rest, she insisted on working. And she said that going to the doctor's need alot of money, so she prefered to stay home. I sighed. She must be dead beat.


I stayed there beside her for about 10 minutes, listening to her uneven breathing.

"Is she asleep?" l asked Dae Woong, who had been standing close to me. "Yeah."


After several more moments, we made our way to the small playground just outside our house, and sat on the swings.

"You know, you could go back home first. Why do you always seem so free?" I asked.

But he didn't reply. "You know... the more I look at you, the more you seem like Suzy, the Suzy that I knew."

"I'm... sorry. Maybe... we should stop seeing each other. Maybe seeing each other is just worse for you."

"No. It should be worse for you, never getting to see the guy you like. What's his name?"

"Seung Gi. I shouldn't still be thinking of him now, he left me. He.. he hated me, just.. like everyone did," I said, my voice coming out as a hoarse whisper.

"Seung-?" Dae Woong started, but stopped himself.

"What? Do you.. know him?"

I could almost feel his eyes widening. "A-ani," He said, but I could feel something was off. There was something he wasn't telling the truth about.

We chatted for several moments, before he got up to leave. I decided to stay on the swing a little longer, not wanting to face the dark atmosphere back home.

"Hey, just wondering, what are you working as?" I called after him, but recieved no reply. I was sure he wasn't so far away as he had just gotten off the swing, so is he ignoring me, or just being plain rude?

 

I huffed and got up. Why did he treat me nicely one moment, then ignore me the next?

I crossed my arms and followed behind him. I could hear his footsteps crunch on the fallen leaves as I followed his rythm. "Yah. What's wrong with you? You're the one that offered to help me, so why are you being so cold to me all of a sudden? If you're annoyed with my mom and all, you coulda just say so, and maybe we can just quit being friends."

No reply.

Okay. This is plain weird. I had thought he would come running back to me at the mention of not being friends anymore, but he didn't. There was something off about him, and I just couldn't put my finger on it.

 

I didn't realise we'd reached his house, and his door slammed shut in my face as I shouted," What, are you deaf!? Why aren't you answering me?"

I knocked on his door, but received no reply. Great. Just great. Why was he so friendly one moment, and so cold the next? I couldn't understand this guy.

I swung out my umbrella and was about to leave, when a loud whistling noise filled the silence. I wondered what that was. But I didn't need to wonder for long, because a moment later a burn smell was evident.

Dae Woong must have forgotten to turn off the fire.

I waited for the sound to stop, but even after several moments, it never did. What is he doing? Can't he hear the awful noise?

Then, a thought struck me. A thought that had never occured to me before. What if... he was deaf? What if he couldn't hear? Like, couldn't couldn't hear?

He couldn't have been bipolar, he was serious about helping me.

Everything clicked in place at the thought. Him not replying to me, even though I shouted to him... was he really... deaf? How in the world did he talk to me then? But being deaf doesn't mean he can't speak, he just can't ... hear. And it was possible he could lip read. No. Maybe I was thinking too much.

I decided to head back to ask my mother for help, but I knew I couldn't make her if she didn't want to.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I thought of what might happen to Dae Woong. I imagined the fire spreading, burning down the house, and... killing him. No.

He was so alike Seung Gi. He appeared in my life when I needed someone the most, just like Seung Gi had. And even if he wasn't Seung Gi... he was my friend.

And this time, I wasn't letting him leave.

Using all my strength, I forced my weight down on the door, causing it to rattle a little.

Come on. Whatever you're doing, wake up from it already!

Just then, the door unlocked. Good. He must've seen the door budge.

"Are you trying to break down my door?" He asked teasingly, the screeching noise almost drowning out what he said.

How could he be so calm!? He definitely couldn't hear the noise.

"There's a fire," I whispered, letting the ruckus drown out my words. Even I couldn't hear my own words.

"There's a fire?"

I bit my lip. There was no way he could have heard that, unless he lip read. And there's NO way he could not know there's a freaking fire. I'm blind, and I know.

"Don't you smell that?" I asked.

He took in a deep breath. "Oh, no. It must've been my stove. I forgot to turn the fire off!"

 

Eureka.

 


 

After succesfully putting out the fire, I let myself relax on the couch.

The porridge he was cooking was totally burned, and there were some charred remains of the aluminium foil the fire had burned out.

He sat beside me, handing me a tissue to wipe myself.

"Dae Woong," I managed to say after a long moment of silence.

But there was no reply, confirming that it was true.

I in a breath and turned to my right. I reached for his face, but missed it. My hand felt the contours of his shoulders. I felt my way to his face, then cupped his cheeks in my hands, turning him to face me.

He hesitated for a moment, but then let me tilt his head down. I could feel his hot breath on my face, his breath quickening.

"What?" He asked.

"Tell me. Tell me the truth, because you can trust me. I'm your friend, and... I won't tell anyone, I promise. You don't have to be afraid, because I know how it feels like to be... different, from others," My voice was thick in my throat, and hot tears filled my eyes. I hated to think that it was true, but what else could it be?

 

"You're... deaf, aren't you?"

 

There was silence, and I could feel Dae Woong gaping. "I'm sorry. Maybe you don't want others to know, but... you can trust me."

"How did you know?" His voice came out as a hoarse whisper.

"I... I tried talking to you, but you didn't reply whenever I called you from behind. You didn't hear the doorbells, and you never heard the noise the kettel made. You didn't hear me when I called you just a second ago. I thought you were ignoring me, but... then it occured to me that you might be deaf."

Slowly, he removed my hands. Seung Gi hung his head low. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier. But... I couldn't tell you. I kind of liked you, but I never felt that way with anyone other than... Suzy. I didn't want you to avoid me for being deaf."

I shook my head. "Why would I avoid you? I'm blind myself. And if anything, it'll make me understand you better."

"Really? That's... the more I think about you, the more I find you so alike the Suzy I knew."

There was a pause as he considered it. "Wait. Tell me something."

"What?"

"When's... your birthday? Is it... October 10?"

My eyes widened. "How did you know?"

"What was your childhood friend's name again?"

"Seung Gi...?

"Is his surname Lee?"

"Yea. How did you know?"

"Then... it's true," He gasped.

"What's true?"

"I thought... I thought maybe it was all just a coincidence, but it can't be. My mom must be lying all along."

"Lying what? What are you talking about?" I insisted.

 

"My real name... is Lee Seung Gi. My birthday is 13 January, sounds familiar? I never thought my mom would lie to me. She said you died. The day I.. the day I turned deaf, and asked about you... she said you died. I couldn't stop crying. And after about a month when I was still living so aimlessly... she abandoned me. She freaking abandoned me. She said-well, wrote- that I was hopeless, and that she didn't have a son like me. I couldn't believe she gave up on me. I felt so helpless when she sent me to an orphanage. I hate her, but she's still my mom. And that... made me realise that she didn't love me for me, but for being her son. And when I couldn't be my mom's son anymore... she gave up on me."

I flung a hand to my mouth. "That.." I gasped. That is just so horrible. My mother didn't do that to me, even though I was born blind, not like my dad did. Even in his darkest times, he had no one. I had my mother, yet I still hated life.

"Then... my life changed when Min-ah adopted me. She was mute, and she believed that I could be saved. She was patient with me, and taught me to lip read, and to... talk. Even though I can't hear my own voice, others could. She taught me to love life. She's like a real mother to me. Her father was in charge of a huge company, and she inherited it when he died. She changed my name to Dae Woong because I hated the name my mother gave me. That's why I don't have to worry about things now. She treats me like a real son, and only I understood her the way she understood me."

"Seung Gi... you're really Seung Gi. I'm so sorry." Tears brimmed my eyes. "What... how did you become... deaf? You.. you don't have to answer me if you don't want to."

I heard a sigh escape his lips. "It's okay. You... you ought to know. My mom... that day on your birthday, she didn't allow me to go. So I sneaked out, but when I was crossing the road... I got hit by a car."

I gasped, my face paling. "It's all my fault," I teared up, my voice cracking. It was all my fault. All my fault. And I blamed him. I blamed him for leaving me when it was all my fault. If it hadn't been for my birthday, he wouldn't have become deaf. If I wasn't blind, he wouldn't have to sneak out. If only I could turn back time. So many ifs. Yet, so much can't change.

 

Tears streaked down my cheeks guiltily as I thought about what I'd done to the guy that shone in my life. He was there for me. Yet, in his darkest times, I hadn't been there for him. I should have known. I should have known something happened, I shouldn't have doubted him.

 

Suddenly, I burst into tears, Seung Gi craddling me as he cried silently. I could feel his body shaking violently. "I'm so, so sorry," I mumbled through sobs, though I knew he couldn't hear it.

 

I felt his head shake against my shoulder. "No. I knew you'd think that. You were always so emotional. It's not your fault, Suzy, it never was. It'll never be. I don't blame you. And I don't regret ever sneaking out. If anything, it's my own fault for not listening to my mom, for making this decision. And... at least I got to know what my mom's really like. What she really thinks of me."

I don't stop crying, but I like the feel of his grasp. I can't believe that he's actually here.

 

"I love you, Suzy," He whispered in my ear, making my skin tingle. "I'm just glad you're here, in my arms."

 


 

 

I reached home, which was just opposite Seung Gi's house, and shut the door gently.

"Where WERE you!?" I was greeted by my mother's stern voice.

"I-I.."

"It's already way past 10pm, and you have not done the housework!"

"Sorry," I muttered, rushing to the kitchen. "Even if you're blind, haven't we already put a timer whenever every hour passes!?" I heard her shout.

I quickly washed the clothes, then hung them to dry.

But, even though my mother's words were harsh and straightforward, I still had a mother, a mother that didn't abandon me, but cared for me for who I am. I felt a sudden urge to hug her, but I know she would hate me more for doing that.

 

-

 

The next day I met Seung Gi just as I left my house, and I was shocked to find him waiting for me outside my house.

We set up the stall, Seung Gi helping me place the newspapers and magazines in order. I have discussed with my mom, and Seung Gi will be taking care of getting the newspapers and magazines, and for the stall rent, while he got paid part-time. In the end, he only gets to earn 30% of whatever profit we make, and still needs to spend his own money, but he was fine with it.


After packing up, we headed home, not realising the shadow skittering across the trees.

"So, you have a half brother now? That's so cool," Seung Gi pipes up.

I nodded. "My mom had him a year after you... disappeared. She said... that all boys were the same, and you would leave me one day, too. I shouldn't have doubted you. It was all my fault."

"I would never do that. And it's not your fault, okay?"

I nodded, feeling a little lightheaded as we walked, still not believing that my long lost best friend was actually here, with me. And walking beside me.

We walked in silence, when suddenly I felt Seung Gi lacing his fingers in mine, griping it tight. Startled, I tried to pull away, and he loosened his grip.

"Um, I-" I started, but he cut me off.

"-Sorry, I.. I just.. I didn't mean to, I mean-" He stuttered, struggling between words.

"I-it's fine," I stated flatly.

My felt my heart skip a beat. "I mean, you should give a heads up. It was, um, sudden, so I-um.." My voice trailed away. I can't believe I just gave up the chance to hold his hand. But it was so sudden, so I just pulled away in instinct, I mean I... argh, I don't know!!!

My heart beat wildly against my chest as I held on to his hand, intertwining our fingers. His grip was warm, and so... nice. I wonder if this was how others felt around the person they liked, or is it just me?

I in a breath as Seung Gi tightened his grip around my hand.

I gave a small smile, heat rushing to my cheeks. "So... what, are we dating now?" I teased.

"Aren't we?" He replied casually, swinging our intertwined hands.

I bit my lip to stop myself from blushing.

"I wonder what your mom would think about me. And I've yet to meet Wonho," He piped up.

"Well... I guess my mom would be surprised. She said that with my disability, I won't ever get married, and she'll be stuck with me her whole life. Guess she doesn't have to worry now," I smiled.

"Are we getting married?" Seung Gi paused.

My eyes widened. "A-aren't we? I-I mean, well, um,"

He chuckled lightly, and ruffled my hair. "Well. No one can ever tell the future. But what I do know is, I have plans of getting married to you."

"Really?" I gasped. I didn't think he'd think that far.

"Hmm, I wonder what people will think about two physically disabled people getting married."

"Why do you care what others think? We just have to love each other..."

"Ireoke?" He bent down and kissed me on my cheek, and my cheeks felt like they are on fire.

"Like.. this," I held his head in my hands and kissed him on the lips. I could tell he was startled, but he kissed me harder, and lifted his hands to my face. He cupped my face in his hands, and I could feel the warmth of our bodies touching.

But all too suddenly, someone interrupted us. "Yah! Stop your public display of affection!" I heard an old grandmother fuss.

I quickly pulled away. "Oh, sorry!"

"What?" Seung Gi asked me, clearly not understanding why I stopped. "Um, someone kinda complained about us," I said.

Just as we were about to turn, I heard the person mutter, "Youngsters these days..."

 

-

 

We stayed in my house, chatting while waiting for my mother to reach home.

Finally, a key turned in the bolt, and I got up.

"What is HE doing here?" My mother inquired. "And alone?"

"Um, Seung Gi- I mean, Dae Woong... uh.." I stopped. Suddenly, I didn't know what to say.

Seung Gi cut in swiftly. "Mother, may I have your permission to leave Suzy in my hands now?"

"Mother- wait, what?" I could feel her shock. "You.. wait, you want to be with Suzy? As in, my Suzy?"

"Yes. And I'd like your blessing."

"Wait. You're both going to get married? You're not playing with her, or anything?"

"I'd never do that. And well.. Suzy said that she didn't want to be a burden to you, so she will move out as soon as we're married, if you're okay with that."

 

 There was a pause.

 

"Well... uh. Ok."

 

-

 

I walked Seung Gi back to his house, not willing to be away from him so soon.

"I'll miss you," He said, planting a kiss on my forehead.

"Me too," I said, smiling. I really couldn't get used to this.

He sighed. "I wish I could say call me, or text me. This is so inconvenient. You can't call me because I can't hear, and I can't text you because you can't see."

"It's fine," I shrugged. "I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah."

"Oh, Seung Gi-" I held onto his hand before he turned. "I mean, Dae Woong ah, what do I look like?"

He pondered for a second. "Well... you look stunning. You're too beautiful for words." I giggled at that. "You.. look like your mother.  Straight, soft hair..." He whispered, twirling his fingers in my hair. "What about you?" My voice softened. My hands reached up to caress his face. "What do you look like?"

"Hmm... well, I'm definitely very handsome."

I chuckled at that.

"With curly, short hair. My mom says when I smile, my lips would curl up."

I smiled that at. Silence enveloped us.

"And, you can call me Seung Gi. When I'm with you, I'm Seung Gi."

He paused. "Tell me... how does my voice sound like?" He asked.

"Hmm, It's enchanting. It's not too deep, and it sounds like you're singing whenever you're talking."

"Wow," He chuckled. "You make me sound like some god."

I smiled. "You are. To me. To me, you're my world. My everything."

 

He placed a hand on my cheek, and inhaled deeply. "I... I wish I could hear your voice, just once more. I'll never forget your voice."

 

We bid our goodbyes. He slowly pulled away, and closed the door shut. Tears formed in my eyes. I remained rooted to the ground.

 

"I wish I could see you," I whispered.

 

 

-

 

 


I reached home, shocked that my mother was cold towards me. I had thought she would be glad that I was finally leaving her for good, but she kept giving me a cold shoulder.

"You really want to leave me, huh," She'd grunt everytime. "I took care of you all these years, yet you grab the first chance you get to get rid of me."

"Well.. isn't that what you want? You said that the best thing I can do for you is to, um, not bother you."

She just shrugged it off. "Fine."

And the most surprising thing happened. Usually, we'd either eat leftovers, or my mom would whip a simple meal or she would ask me to buy dinner.

"I'll go buy dinner," She shrugged when I asked if I should buy dinner. I frowned, but shook it off. It is the first time in forever she'd offer to buy dinner.

 

-

 

The next day I got up early to set up the stall, not wanting to let Seung Gi do all the work.

I didn't notice that someone was standing behind a pillar, watching my every move.

Just as I swung out my bottle to take a swig, I felt a hard grip on my arm, causing me to drop my bottle. My eyes widened as I felt something damp clamp over my mouth.

I tried to struggle, but his grasp was too strong. The person tugged on my hair hard, but only my muffled scream was audible.

"Just what are you doing!?" A familiar voice screeched, before I heard a loud thud, followed by a groan. 

I fell to the floor, my arm scraping against the hard ground.

"Mum??" I manage to gasp as the person's grip on me loosened.

"You're going to be alright," She whispered, hugging me tightly.

"Ah," I heard her choke. I wasn't sure what happened, but I felt something wet on her shirt, before she passed out in my arms.

 

 

 -

 

 

The regular beeping sound of the machine, and the even breathing was the only thing I heard, and the only thing that kept me sane.

Seung Gi's reassuring hand on my shoulder seems to be of some help as well.

"She's going to be fine. Didn't the doctor say she's out of danger now?" He told me.

"But why isn't she waking up then??" Tears filled my eyes.

Just as I said it, I felt my mother's hand jerk under my grasp. "Is she awake?!"

"She's opening her eyes." Seung Gi told me.

I sighed in heavy relief.

"What... happened?" She managed to croak.

"I'll go call a doctor," Seung Gi said, getting up.

I heard the door click shut before I spoke. "I'm not sure. But Seung Gi said you were stabbed. There was.. there was a lot of blood. I thought- I thought you were going to die," I sobbed.

"Yah. I'm not, so stop crying, yea?"

I nodded slowly.

"That lunatic bastard.." She muttered under her breath.

"Who?"

"That bastard. Tae Min. Just got charged for attempted . Many witnesses, but the girl denied. Probably forced her. So he got away scott-free. I shouldn't have let you go alone... something could have happened."

"Mom. Something did happen. Why did you save me? You could have died!"

"You're my daughter. How can I not? I don't know why I saved you, I just... did it on instinct. And, see? I'm not dead. And I'm sure as hell you wish I was."

"I don't! How can I?"

"Don't you? You wish to avoid me, that's why you're planning to move away."

 

"Mom, that's... why do you keep harping on that? I thought you'd be happy I'm finally gone. You said that you wished you'd never given birth to me, that... I wouldn't be a burden to you anymore if I'm gone. You wished I'd just disappear from your life."

 

Silence.

 

"Well... it's just kind of weird for you to suddenly be gone..." She shrugged.

"Mom, is that it? You say that, but you don't mean it." My gaze softened. "You saved me because you loved me."

"That's... what? I don't."

"Thank you, mom!" I pulled her into a tight squeeze.

"Yah! I said I don't!" She protested, but I continued grinning broadly, not letting go.

 

"I won't go, okay? I'll stay with you for the rest of my life."

 

 

 -

 

 

I closed the door behind me, bumping into Seung Gi just outside. "You haven't left?" I asked as he grabbed my hand.

"No. How's... she?"

"She's as healthy as a horse," I beamed. "The doctor just sedated her. She can be discharged the day after tomorrow."

"That's good to hear. But to be honest... I didn't expect her to get herself stabbed for you. I mean, from how she treated you in the past, and even now, it's... kind of unexpected."

I gave a small smile as tears brimmed in my eyes. "She just... doesn't show her love as easily as others."


Seung Gi pulled me to sit beside him. "Are you going to go back home?"

"No. I'll stay here. I don't want to stay in that sad little house by myself. I'll tell Wonho not to worry, and come here after work."

"Okay, then. I'll stay with you," He draped an arm over my shoulder.

I smiled, and before I knew it, I had dozed off in his warm arms.

 

And, just like this, I knew I was the most blissful and fortunate girl on Earth.

 

Even though life might be unfair, it was enough to have Seung Gi, my Mother, and Wonho by my side. 

 

Seung Gi or Dae Woong, deaf or the boy I used to know, he'll always be the same person, with the same heart.

 

We are a perfect match, one made in heaven.

 

And for the first time, I felt like I could see.

 

For I am his ears, and he is my eyes.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

A/N: Hope you enjoyed it~! I hope it's not too rushed, I keep thinking that it isxD Anyways do tell me what you think of it:3 Byee!!