A Christmas Surprise

A Christmas Surprise

“Merry Christmas, Astrid!” your co-worker called out as the two of you closed up for the day.

 

“You too, Marcella!” you replied with a smile that didn’t quite reach your eyes.  You turned the key in the lock and lightly pulled on the door handle to make sure that the shop was properly locked up.

 

“Hey, don’t look so down.” Marcella said, “You know you are always welcome to celebrate the holidays with my husband and I.”

 

“I’m fine.” You replied. “I don’t really celebrate it anyways. Go home. Your man is waiting and probably feeling neglected from the hours you’ve put in this month.” You lightly pushed her towards the direction of her car. You waved to her as she pulled out of the parking lot and started to walk towards the grocery store in the same plaza as your shop.

 

“At least there isn’t a blizzard like last year.” You mumbled to yourself.

 

After your short grocery trip, you headed back to your empty apartment. You laughed at yourself. It wasn’t as if anyone actually lived in your apartment with you after your parents decided to move the suburbs but you wished there was. You wished for one person in particular but it was a hopeless dream.

 

When you arrived home, you made yourself a proper dinner with rice and meat for the first time in months. It wasn’t easy managing your own business – one that your parents left you. You sighed again. Why is it always this time of year that you keep thinking of him? He left years ago to pursue his dream in music and you haven’t seen him since. It would be a lie to say that you hadn’t contacted him all this time but it was nothing more than an email here or there. It wasn’t much but it made you miss him and hold on to the bit of romance the two of you had as teenagers.

 

You nearly jumped out of your seat as your phone rang.

 

It was your mother.

 

After a short conversation, you hung up with a sigh.

 

Your phone rang again. This time it was an unknown number.

 

You consciously answered, “Hello?”

 

“Hello? Is this Astrid?” said a voice that you would have recognized anywhere.

 

Your eyes widened. “E-eli?” you stuttered.

 

“The one and only.” He replied with a chuckle. “It’s been a while. How have you been?”

 

“G-good.”

 

“Spending the holidays with anyone special?”

 

“Yeah, Mr. Laptop. He’s a great companion.” You could hear him laughing on the other line.

 

“I miss your sarcasm,” he said. “Not going to your parents’?”

 

You were about to reply when the doorbell rang.

 

“Hold on, someone is at the door, probably one of my neighbors, ” you quickly said. “I’ll be right back.”

 

“Okay.” He said as you rushed to open the door.

 

“Hey, did you need somethi-” you started until you realized who was standing at the door. You stood there, staring at his familiar yet unfamiliar face.

 

“Can I come in?” Eli asked with a smug look.

 

“W-what are you doing here?” you managed after he had already squeezed his way into your home.

 

“Why else am I here?” he asked you and leaned in to give you a quick peck on the lips.

 

You looked at him wide-eyed. He smirked and nodded at the mistletoe he held above the two of you.

 

“Merry Christmas, Astrid.” He whispered and pulled you into his arms.