Our First Christmas

Taoris Christmas Drabbles

Tao doesn’t bring it up in the weeks leading up to Christmas because he doesn’t want to be pushy. It seems like the kind of thing that, if it were brought up, would immediately be classified under  the Crazy, Clingy Boyfriend heading, right alongside “Went Out on One Date and Had a Conversation About ‘Our Future’” and “I Know We’ve Only Been Going Out for a Few Days, But I Bought Us Matching Sweaters.” He holds off because he doesn’t want to ruin this, doesn’t want to freak Kris out by assuming he’s more of a presence in Kris’ life than he actually is.

Which is probably ridiculous, a fear born out of insecurity rather than reality. He and Kris have been going out for almost a year (their first meeting was at the birthday party of a mutual friend in early February---at the time, Tao probably still had leftover Christmas candy canes in his pantry) and this is what serious couples do, right? They spend the holidays together. It’s not like Tao hasn’t met Kris’ family before, or vice versa, so there’s really no reason that they wouldn’t make plans for Christmas as a couple. Right?

Except that Kris hasn’t mentioned it, a fact which seemed irrelevant in November and overtly intentional come December. The week leading up to Christmas and Tao is a wreck, waiting for Kris to invite him to his parents’ Christmas dinner, wondering if he should invite Kris to his parents’ Christmas lunch, convinced that there’s something happening here that he’s doesn’t understand, some relationship protocol of which he’s unaware. He doesn’t think his blood pressure has ever been this high around the holidays and he’s including the year when he had to special order Xiumin a pair of customized slippers from a website written entirely in a language he didn’t understand.

He finds himself on the night before Christmas, dressed in his pajamas and eating peppermint ice cream while watching Love Actually, convinced that he’s newly single, that not making Christmas plans was Kris’ way of breaking up with him. It’s a cruel thought, but Tao doesn’t put it past Kris. Considering that he dumped Tao on Christmas.

When the doorbell rings, Tao naturally assumes it’s carolers and decides to open the door dressed exactly as he is to let them see the horrors of what Christmas has done to him. He freezes, literally and metaphorically (it’s ing cold outside and Tao’s in a t-shirt and boxers to prove a point), when he opens the door and finds Kris, dressed in his nice clothes and staring at Tao in confusion. His eyes dart from Tao’s attire to the pint of melting ice cream he possessively clings to.

“You know, I’m not opposed to the view, myself, but I don’t think my grandma can handle the sight of you in just your boxers, Tao.”

Tao stares back at him uncomprehendingly. “What?”

“Christmas dinner? At my parents’ house?” Kris says slowly, like it’s obvious, like Tao’s a moron for not just assuming that he was invited to Christmas dinner…at his boyfriend’s…on Christmas.

And oh. Tao might be a moron for not just assuming that he was invited to Christmas dinner at his boyfriend’s on Christmas.

“I didn’t,” he begins, “I didn’t realize. I just thought…” he trails off.

“You just thought what? That I was dumping you on Christmas?”

When Tao remains affirmatively silent, Kris blows out a long breath, visible in the cold air, and mutters a quiet wow.

“Okay.” Kris glances at his watch and reaches forward to take the pint of ice cream from Tao’s hand. “I’ll hold this. You go get dressed.”

Tao turns, but before he can go more than a few steps, Kris grabs his arm, pulling him back out onto the front step and wrapping his arms tightly around him.

“You’re an idiot,” is muttered fondly into his hair and Tao grins, pressing his face further into the warm canvas of Kris’ jacket.