Unraveling Thoughts

Twist Of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Twist Of Fate

Chapter 42

Unraveling Thoughts

 

Homestead Coffee was your place to go with Soomin. Ever since your days of high school, you met up at this café after you finished your lessons, had your usual girl gossip, and catch up. 

It was past one pm, and you rushed over to the café as soon as your work finished, because you needed to be home at time.

Since you dropped Ki Joon off at the kindergarten, Yongguk said he would pick him up. He even said that he will order dinner, because you need to move your stuff into his room today and won’t have time to make dinner.

Even till this day, when you both had graduated from university and begun your work life, you would still meet up for your occasional café dates. However, this time things were a whole lot different.

This time, you were going to talk about something you had never experienced before, and hopefully she could help you unravel your thoughts and make a bit clearer for you. Hence, you needed the help of your best friend, sister, mentor, soulmate, and your other half.

You have almost known Soo Min for two decades. No one else knows you as well as she does. Just by reading your expression she can tell what is going on, or how you are feeling, and if something is on your mind.

Just by a glance you knew what one another was thinking. None of your other friends can be compared to her. Of course, you love each one of your friends, but things are completely different regarding Soo Min.

She is your one selfless friend, who would never leave you, judge you, or hate you. She has always been by your side through all the things you have gone through in your life.

She has always supported you and told you to follow your heart and mind. You had shared a lot of meaningful moments with her, gone to the same elementary and high school together. You still remember the first day you met her.

It was on a playground. You were with another one of your friends, and you noticed that Soo Min by then was all alone, playing on her own.

Your first impression of her was that she was cute, and you wanted to become her friend. As a kid, you had always been a bit shy, but you approached Soo Min that day and asked her to play. Just thinking of that day put a smile on your face.

You had your toys with you. She instantly said yes, went home to get her dolls so that you could play together, and from then on, you just became depended on one another for almost two decades.

You gazed out from the terrace to the clear blue skies, the sun was out, casting its beams upon you, and you moved your palm out to cover your eyes from the strong sunrays.

“Hey, Kwon-ie.”

You instantly tipped your head to the side, a big and happy smile formed on your face. You stood up from your chair, opened your arms, giggled when she pulled into your embrace, and hugged you tightly.

“I’ve missed you.” You said, and she hugged you tighter.

“Work’s been a bit hectic lately, I’m sorry, I’ve been so busy.” She said in a small and saddened tone.

You shook your head, tightened your grip around her, and she moved in closer. You hugged each other tightly for a moment.

“It’s okay. I’ve been busy myself.” You said.

“Yeah, you are worker and a mummy. You got two jobs now.” Soo Min laughed, and you shook your head with a smile.

“That is very true.” You said.

Soo Min pulled her chair out and seated in front of you. You gazed at Soo Min. She wore a black skirt, a rose-colored long-sleeved blouse.

Her hair was tied up in a high-ponytail, and she had a few loose strands, falling down her cheeks. She looked beautiful as always. She gazed at you with her hazel eyes. Your smile grew, and she gave you a look.

“What?” She smiled.

“You look good today. Is that a new blouse?” You asked.

Her smile reached to her eyes upon hearing your compliment, and you noticed that she wore a blouse, which you haven’t seen her wear before. She nodded, and her eyes flickered down to her rose blouse.

“I had a trial today.” She said once her eyes returned to you, and you nodded. “How did it go?” You asked. “I won.” She replied with a big smile, and you congratulated her.

“I haven’t ordered our drinks, because I waited for you to come.” You told.

“I ordered it as soon as I came.” She said, making you smile.

“So, will you tell me now what is going on in your mind? I can tell you want to say something.” She said.

You breathed deeply, moved your hands down to your thighs, and rubbed your legs. You were suddenly feeling uneasy. You never felt this way before.

You had never had issues telling Soo Min about whatever was going on your life. However, this time, you were really confused.

“Sera?” She called out and leaned forward.

Her eyes narrowed with interest, she looked wary, and her long lases fluttered a few times as she silently waited for you to speak up.

You bit on your bottom lip, and you couldn’t think of where and how to start it all. Soo Min waited patiently, never really urged you to speak up.

The patient friend she is, she looked at you, didn’t break off the gaze, remained quiet, but you could tell that the longer you remained quiet, her expression became full of worry.

“Is it about.. Yongguk?”

“How could you tell?” You gasped of surprise.

“Because, you haven’t spoken of him for a while, and I am honestly so curious about that man, who you are living with.” She said.

You stiffened in your chair. You knew you hadn’t told her everything about Yongguk, or all that there is, all the things that seemed odd to you, for instance, his behavior towards you, how he has changed a lot over the past months.

A moment of silence passed by. You pondered deeply. You hadn’t even told her that the pair of you have kissed and the fact that you now share a room. You didn’t know where to begin. There was just so much you had to unravel.

“Just spit it all out, whatever that comes to your mind first, and we’ll take it on from there.” She said.

“Yongguk has changed a lot, he is acting different around me.” You blurted out, and waited for her reply for seconds, until you realized that she waited for you to continue.

“And I think I might feel something for him.” You admitted.

You pressed your palm to your chest, feeling where your heart was hammering inside your chest. You could feel every deep and frantic beat of your heart against your palm.

You had finally said the thing aloud, which has bothered you for quite some time, you don’t know how long.

But you had been thinking a lot about it, wondering a lot, what you were actually feeling, and was going on inside you.

Then you moved your trembling hands down to your lap. You clutched your hands to somehow gain control and calm down. You didn’t understand why you were trembling.

“What kind of feeling?” She finally asked.

“I don’t know.” You instantly replied, feeling defeated somehow.

“Well, can you tell me how he has changed?” She asked, and you nodded.

“He was cold, aloof, and controlling the first time I met him.. but, now, he is this different person, or maybe he is just showing me know who he really is.” You said.

“And, how is he?” She asked.

Your eyes averted, you looked out at the street, there were a lot of pedestrians, who walked past the stores. You became silent for a moment.

“He is this warm, very kind and helpful person. Whenever something happens to Ki Joon, he finds solutions, and even comforts me.” You said as you returned your gaze to him.

“I thought you hated him.” She said, and you shook your head.

“He really makes me mad sometimes, we argue a lot, but we make up again. We never really stay mad at each other for too long. But I think it’s because we got Ki Joon, so need to communicate.” You said and nodded firmly.

Soo Min furrowed her brows, looking serious. “Why would he suddenly treat you well, if it is only for Ki Joon, when he has been cold to you in the beginning? Ki Joon is a kid, Yongguk can be mean to you when Ki Joon isn’t around.” She said.

“But he isn’t mean to me when Ki Joon isn’t around.” You said.

“Exactly, so don’t believe that he is only treating you well, because of your kid.” She said.

You froze. You really didn’t know, because he is so hard to read, so unpredictable, and you don’t know what goes on in his mind.

You reached your hand up and grasped the silver necklace. You played with the stone, feeling the soft edges of it. the gift he bought for you from America.

The whole act as a couple, made you feel confused. Because sometimes, it really didn’t feel like you were acting. It felt real, but you weren’t sure, because he never said anything.

“But we got this act of being a couple in front of our parents, and even Ki Joon.” You said, and your voice became quiet at the latter part.

“What do you mean?” Soo Min asked, her eyes slightly widened, opened, and he pulled closer to you.

Soo Min knew about your act as a couple in front of your parents, but she didn’t know that you also had to portray as a happy couple for Ki Joon’s sake.

You told her about the thing that had recently happened in Ki Joon’s kindergarten, and how you and Yongguk must be extra careful around Ki Joon.

Ki Joon is growing closer to the pair of you and none of you want Ki Joon to have bad role models in his life.

Soo Min listened intently with a concerned look, but soon she looked relaxed as she seemed to understand it all.

“Aww, Ki Joon shouldn’t hear such stuff, he is just a kid.” She said, and you nodded. “So, what will you do now?” She asked.

“I am sleeping in Yongguk’s room now.” You said and scrunched your face.

“Where is he sleeping then?” She asked with a confused look.

You stared at her with wide eyes, not saying anything for a moment, until her look changed from confusion to utter shock.

“No way.” She gasped, and you sighed deeply.

The both of you tensed, became quiet, and looked at each other, when the waiter showed up, and suddenly placed your drinks on your table. You thanked him before he left, he nodded, and took off.

“Where did we leave off from?” She said and stared out. “Oh, right, you sleep in the same bed as Yongguk.” She said with a stunned look.

You covered your face in your palms, feeling your face heat up and become red as ripe tomatoes. Suddenly, you were feeling warm, you were heating up, blushing, and you breathed deeply to regain control of your body.

“But, you might have feelings for him.” She said, and you nodded.

“Tell me, how is he around you, and what makes you think that you got feelings for him.” She said.

You breathed deeply once more and stared at her. Just by the expression on your face, she stiffened, looking possibly more surprised. It was like she read your mind.

“How many times have you kissed.” She asked, and she was grinning now.

You groaned. “I’ve lost count of it.”

You remembered your recent kiss. It was at the restaurant, and it had been weeks since you had last kissed, but the memory still taunted your mind.

“Oh my God.” She gasped. “Have you seduced him?”

You choked on your drink. You smacked your chest a couple of times, feeling bewildered by Soo Min’s question.

“S-seduce? You know I don’t do that.. you know me, God. I don’t even know how to flirt.” You groaned, feeling your face become hot and possibly redder. You could even feel your ears heating up now.

You took another sip of your drinks, and chocked again at her next words, “So, you want to flirt with him.” She said with a smile. Her eyes literally beamed, and she looked excited on your behalf.

You tipped your head back and groaned.   

“No such thing will happen, because we are just acting. He is just doing these things, being kind to me, because of Ki Joon.” You said.

“No, I really don’t believe that.” She said.

“Why would he be kind to me? he wanted Ki Joon for himself.” You said.

“Do you still believe he feels this way?” She asked, and you became silent.

“I don’t think he does.” She said.

“How can you be so sure of it?” You finally asked, when you were doubtful.

“You always act this way, when some guy shows you some interest, you deny it. You need to realize Sera that you are worth loving.”

You stared at your best friend, your eyes stung, you blinked a few times, but it became overwhelming, and a small teardrop finally rolled down your cheek, but you quickly wiped it off. You didn’t want to cry.

Crying meant that you felt something, feeling something would make things complicated, because you don’t know what Yongguk feels. Does he view you as a woman?

Soo Min always knew how to comfort you and say the things that you need to hear. There were some suppressed feelings inside you that you needed to let out.

You comforted yourself by telling yourself that you only shed a few tears. You didn’t cry a bucket of tears. You huffed, and she handed you a tissue.

“It’s okay to cry sometimes, even when you don’t know why.” She said, and you gave her a small smile.

“What do I do?” You asked.

“You know what I will tell you, follow your heart.” She said, and you sighed shakily, and gave her a nod.

~❋~

You parked your car in the yard. You were finally home. Having talked with Soo Min relived your mind, unraveled some thoughts, and helped you.

But why had you shed those tears when talking of Yongguk. What was it about him that had made you become emotional?

You stared out at the white mansion. You had to go inside. You closed the ignition and stepped out of your car.

The moment you opened the door, the little fur ball jumped at your legs and happily bid you welcome.

“You are home.”

You froze, a shudder passed down your spine upon hearing that familiar deep voice that stirred some unknown feelings inside you, and you glanced out.

Yongguk stood a few feet away from you, gazing down at you as you were hugging onto Tigger. He didn’t say anything for a moment, and you were suddenly thinking of Soo Min’s words.

‘Don’t believe that he is only treating you well, because of your kid.’

“Why are you just standing there, looking at me, get moving, we need to move your stuff into my room.” He said and strode off before you could reply.

So, commanding.

You huffed out and got up on your feet. Tigger follow you into the kitchen. You strode off to the refrigerator, opened it and took out a bottle of water. As soon as you took a sip of the cool water, you sighed, feeling refreshed.

“You are home, you are home, you are home.”

The light angelic voice piped out and you stiffened. Ki Joon came running towards you. You quickly squatted, opened your arms and he ran into your embrace, so fast, you nearly staggered backwards.

He moved his short arms around your neck, pulled closer into you, hugging you tightly, you closed your eyes, feeling the warmth and love from his embrace. It was an irreplaceable feeling that you would never trade for anything.

“How was kindergarten?” You asked.

“Good, but I missed you.” He said and hugged you once again.

His words made your heart want to burst into tiny millions of pieces. You hugged him again and hummed softly.

He left out a soft giggle, when you ruffled his curly hair. His hair was becoming longer, and he was looking more like Yongguk, because of his hair.

“What did you do at kindergarten today?” You asked.

“I made a drawing.” He said, and your eyes lit up. “Did you bring it home?”

He nodded.

“May I see it?”

He ran off quickly, and you got up on your legs. You took another sip of the water, and Yongguk suddenly entered the place. He strode to the refrigerator, opened it and took out two bottles of tropical juice mix.

“You need to drink something sweet, when we will work.” He said.

You stiffened, staring at Yongguk as his hand was outstretched to you with the juice bottle in his hand. Soo Min’s words came to your mind again, instantly.

‘Don’t believe that he is only treating you well, because of your kid.’

You stared at Yongguk. He was waiting, and you finally pulled yourself together. You took the juice bottle from him.

“Thanks.” You finally spoke.

“You look perplexed. Is something wrong?” He asked, and you blinked your eyes, stiffening.

“Here it is!” Ki Joon exclaimed.

He came running into the room just in time for when you needed a distraction from Yongguk, because you didn’t know what to say.

Ki Joon stopped in front of you and handed you a piece of paper. You grabbed it and gazed at it. For a moment, you solely stared at it, not believing that he had drawn this picture.

He had drawn himself in between you and Yongguk. It was clearly a kid’s drawing. You could tell by the way he drew it. It was so cute. It made you smile. Your heart was melting.

But he got the main points. He made Yongguk taller, himself very small, and your size was just normal, well smaller compared to Yongguk.

He gave Yongguk and himself long messy hair. It made you giggle, and he drew your hair long and colored it dark brown.

“This is so good, Ki Joon-ah.” You cooed.

On top of the drawings of the three of you was a text that read, ‘my family’. He had written it himself. You could tell by how the letters were in different sizes and spread widely apart.  

Your body tensed up, when you felt his hard chest press against your back, and he leaned over you.

You tilted your head slowly and glanced up. Yongguk stood behind you, too close against you and he was watching the drawing intently.

You stood still as he observed the drawing Ki Joon had made. But you could feel your little heart pick up its pace. Yongguk’s strong and manly scent of his cologne lingered in the air around you.

Then he reached his arm out, brushed your shoulder and you jolted at the quick contact. He grasped the drawing from you and pulled away.

“I didn’t know my boy is this creative.” Yongguk said with a proud fatherly smile as he gazed at his boy.

Ki Joon cheeks turned red like cherries, and he chuckled out, light giggles that made your heart want to burst. Ki Joon seemed so happy to get praised by Yongguk. It must be that father-son bond.

“Let me hang it on the refrigerator.” You said, and Yongguk turned to look at you.

He narrowed his eyes by a millimeter. His dark eyes bore in yours, and you stared at him. Then he finally gave the drawing to you.

“Great idea, sweetheart.” He said.

Again, with that word that made you feel uncanny inside, and you remained tense for a short moment. You walked to the refrigerator, you took off a magnet and put it onto the drawing.

“There.” You cooed as you looked at the cute drawing.

Ki Joon walked up to you and looked at his drawing. He couldn’t stop smiling. You reached your hand down to him and ruffled his soft curls.

His first drawing on the refrigerator. Your eyes widened, when it dawned on you. He had never hung a drawing on the refrigerator.

You grabbed your phone from the back-pocket of your jeans and snapped a picture of the refrigerator with Ki Joon’s drawing.

Someday, you would print out all these memorable photos, which you have taken, and make a photobook of Ki Joon’s childhood.

You glanced to your side, when you could feel his eyes on you and you caught Yongguk looking at you.

You pulled back, still looking at him, and he didn’t take his eyes from you. He had this expression which you hadn’t seen much of before, he seemed to be wondering. Then he cleared his throat.

“Let’s go upstairs and move your things.” He said.

“I want to play in my room with Tigger.” Ki Joon said.

“Alright, sweetie.” You cooed.

“Tigger come here!” Ki Joon called for the poodle a couple of times and it finally came running to him from the living room.

Ki Joon burst into laughter, when the dog jumped at his legs. Then he picked the dog in his arms and took off to his room.

Once he was gone, you returned your eyes to Yongguk, who happened to be looking at you, yet again. You felt your heart drop for a second, and you gathered yourself.

“Isn’t it crazy?” You broke the silence. 

“What is?” He asked as he tipped his head to the side, narrowed his eyes, gazing deeply into your eyes from where he stood.

“This.” You said as you pointed at the drawing, looking at it instead of Yongguk. His expressive eyes made you feel something. “He wrote ‘my family’. He finally thinks we are a family.. Do you think, he really-”

“Loves us?” He finished your sentence.

You turned to your side when you realized that his voice came from your side, too close, and you could feel his presence. You body stiffened, and you gazed up at him. He was standing next to you and way too close to you.

“Yes?” You said in a small voice, gazing into his eyes.

“I do.” He said.

His eyes, they were deeper than the ocean, darker than the ocean on an overcast night, they were so deep that you could drown in that ethereal gaze. You breathed deeply, moved your tongue over your lips, and bit onto your bottom lip.

“I do think he cares a lot about us. He is getting a lot closer to us, more day by day, Kwon.” He said.

His voice was deep, much deeper than usual, and his eyes were way more expressive. It made you feel numb. You couldn’t move.

You could feel your chest tighten. Feel the beating of your heart inside your chest, almost hear it in your ears. If you really focused on it. But you couldn’t focus on anything else but his presence. 

“I agree.. I-I think the same.” You said, keeping yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter