Incense

In The Air

Yugyeom clasps his hands together, tightly shutting his eyes and praying to the gods above that they would intervene just this once in his life. For Mark just announced everywhere that he would be doing the very popular kabedon to Jaebum.

He didn't understand why it should be Jaebum. And he certainly doesn't want to be the wall again; to feel Mark's hand on his shoulder as he inches closer to Junior's face, even if Mark had reassured Yugyeom that it was all just for the fans.

He didn't understand why the kabedon even existed in the first place.

Finished with his mysterious gibberish-filled prayer, Yugyeom stands up from his kneeling position and leaves the chapel. It was pretty serious right now.

How upset Yugyeom was whenever Mark did things on his own, declaring that Jaebum would be his latest experimental kabedon patient. Of course the teenager would be more than furious at the image of his older boyfriend nuzzling with his other older friends.

But he doesn't show it, that mad instinct to just shove Jaebum away and be the receiver of that undeniably dangerous gaze, of that teeth-clenching sort of drum roll to a possible kiss in front of so many squealing girls. And their "ship" would sail so hard that it might even trend on Twitter (yes, Yugyeom has his SNS moments and Mark has them too).

Yugyeom exits the small building, turning to his left and spotting Mark with a terrible disguise on--a black mask that he always wears to the airport, one of Jackson's colorful snapbacks and a ridiculously adorable eye smile on. "What took you so long?" Mark peers at the taller one curiously, earning a sheepish smile that intended to hide the tinge of disappointment. Yugyeom shakes his head, "Nothing much hyung."

"Promise?" Mark pushes as they both start walking back to the company building. It was usually crowded--a flock of girls would follow them all over the place, but tonight was an exception because they were alone in the streets save for an old man who was jogging across the road.

Removing his snapback was Mark, concerned about the indescribable expression residing on Yugyeom's face. "Are you sure you're good?"

"Yeah, I promise and I'm sure." Yugyeom beams, about to burst out in flames and beg Mark to choose him instead of Jaebum, but it's not like him to go back on his word like that.

Mark gives up and shrugs, dips his hands into his hoodie's pockets and looks straight ahead. It was too random of Yugyeom to ask him out just to burn some incense and pray, but there are too many things going on in his head that Mark could only look forward to the upcoming concert.

The excitement and craze, the sound of screaming people rooting for them, it was enough of an assurance that things can only get better and better.

Looking up a bit, Mark nods to himself. This boy was stunning and Yugyeom doesn't believe it himself. Mark could bear all the he's been through because of this boy too.

So it disturbs him when the tone of Yugyeom's good mornings and good nights changed, like he was forcing himself to do it on a whim. At first, Mark let that pass because they were all so busy preparing for the concert but he decided to confront his boyfriend anyway. That one afternoon, Mark had readied a bottle of Yugyeom's favorite latte, unexpectedly nervous about what he was going to do.

Yugyeom passed him by just on time and Mark takes initiative to grab his wrist, spinning him around automatically. Yugyeom looks at him with a puzzled expression, pointing to the door that was now behind him. "I'm getting called in by the hyung from the production team. Is there a problem?"

"Well, I got you this." Mark hands Yugyeom the drink and the other laughs, "I think I've drank so much of this today but I still want some anyway. Thanks, hyung."

"Yeah, but...that's not what I'm here for. Look, I've sensed how you--" And just like that, Yugyeom was dragged away by the hyung he was talking about earlier. He had a bad reputation cutting people off like that.

Staring at the drink in Yugyeom's grip as he scatters away, Mark realized that it would take more than coffee to ask for a reconciliation.

On the day of the concert, the lights were stark rainbow--a mirage of a thousand colors as they shone on Mark's body, the stage and the people watching them. The music started playing and he was moving to the beat, naturally and cheerfully, because this was what he really wanted to do in life. And what's great is the fact that everyone seemed to enjoy the show, including Yugyeom who just introduced himself in Japanese as the giant baby of their group. Mark couldn't agree more.

He was enormous for a seventeen year old, too much of a contradiction to his otherwise mature features, but Yugyeom's heart was pure and Mark will always want to protect that no matter what.

During a talking part of the show, Mark's heart raced--the kabedon segment was drawing near and Jaebum was giving him nervous glances. Mark just smiled at him once Junior announced the stint, automatically pulling Yugyeom in as the wall and the younger follows with a pout-sort-of-smile. He spins him around, grabs Jaebum and Mark presses the leader's back against Yugyeom's. And it begins.

Yugyeom faces his left to where the big LED screen was. Before his eyes was the very image of his boyfriend's face looming above Jaebum's in such a seductive way. He just giggled, covered his mouth to feign disgust, but in fact he was ultimately being strangled by an invisible rope of envy.

He decides to just face in front of him, spotting the staff clapping but one of them was doing some exaggerated hand signals, and then there was absolute chaos.

For when Yugyeom was about to check what was happening behind him, Mark already walked to the other side, looking up at his very confused and very flustered boyfriend of six months. Sporting his new brown hairstyle, Yugyeom's mouth gaped in awe, because the frost-haired Mark was so cute and so small but he was gorgeously handsome and he was doing the kabedon with him. In front of hundreds of people. For everyone to see.

That adorable grin immediately turned into a smug gaze, Mark lifting his left arm up and placing it on Jaebum's back. Youngjae screams into his microphone, sending all of them in hysteric laughter, "Yugyeom is taller than the wall!"

Mark just chuckles as Yugyeom takes it into himself to bend his knees, and Mark responds by lifting himself up slightly by the toes. They looked like a real couple now, the howling and screaming of several people muted in that fateful moment. Mark thought about how nice it would be if they told everybody how much they meant to each other. He thought about the freedom he could only visualize in his dreams.

But that was far-fetched, too great of a risk and all of the members knew that. So Mark just basks in this beautiful minute, staring straight into Yugyeom's eyes, touching the younger's chin with his right hand. Tilting Yugyeom's head down with two fingers, Yugyeom's head is clouded with memories of when they first confessed their love for each other, and how every day after felt even more perfect each time. His cheeks tinted a whole deal of pink from the emotions struggling to flow out of his eyes, and that strong urge to kiss Mark right then and there, Yugyeom was more than fazed.

Mark slowly moves his face closer to Yugyeom's, the uncomfortable expression he once had with Junior and Jaebum totally gone and eradicated. It was too natural of him to do this--the couple has done this so many times before.

Kissing behind closed doors in between 10-minute breaks, slightly messing up their makeup just before their music show performances.

Kissing in the restroom, Bambam walking in on them one instance and having a sort of heart attack, slamming himself to the sink in the process.

Kissing in the dorm when all the lights are out and everyone seems to be asleep but in reality, Jackson was there with Youngjae, not expecting to see that on their way to their own rooms from the refrigerator. And the shock painted on Mark's face when Jackson turned the lights on with a statue-like pose, holding a glass of low fat milk, was golden.

Mark pulls away and beams, not understanding a word the other members and the interpreter were saying. Yugyeom laughs, unbelieving that lighting up ten sticks of incense worked.

The DVD got released a few months after, all seven of them gathered around the only television set in the dorm. Jaebum, Youngjae and Yugyeom were sitting on the sofa. Behind Jaebum was Jackson, sitting on a chair he pulled out of the dining room. Bambam was sitting on a smaller sofa to Yugyeom's right, while Jinyoung and Mark sat on the floor in front of Youngjae and Yugyeom respectively. Only they themselves know about how they did this every time a DVD of theirs gets released.

Jackson comments on his own speech, saying that he's pretty good in Japanese, but a hideous glare from Jaebum was all the other five needed to break out in laughter. They watched the disc in a positive atmosphere, jokes and compliments thrown around the living area.

Finally, it was the kabedon segment. Mark embraces his knees close to his chest, stretching his mouth, preparing for the onslaught of teasing from his friends. Yugyeom senses it coming nearer and so he hugs Mark from behind, resting his chin on the other's shoulder.

And there it was--a zoomed-in version of their moment together, caught on camera for the whole world to see and possibly tag on loop. Bambam of course was the first to scream like a girl, crashing sideways to the sofa and clenching his chest dramatically.

"Oh my god, what the hell," Jackson mumbles, staring at the couple who were laughing at the screen.

"I can't believe I saw that in person..." Youngjae says, unable to stop giggling. "This is the ship."

"The is a ship? I thought we rode a plane to Japan?" Jackson peeps, and they have a deep and intense discussion about some fan terms. Jaebum shakes his head, wanting to punch the whole internet onto Jackson's face.

"We accept this," Jinyoung says thoughtfully after that segment was over and all of them have calmed down a bit. "I've said this before but I support this a hundred percent."

"We'll still go with it even if you disapproved though..." Mark mutters bitterly, giving Jinyoung a look. "But yeah thanks."

"Hyung, let's do it again?" With Yugyeom's suggestion, all the other five members howled in disapproval with Jaebum standing up and screaming at them to just stop touching each other for once in their lives. But Mark was in love and Yugyeom was too, Mark tilting his head up and letting Yugyeom cup his face from above him, and they stick their lips together in a sweet, unrestrained kiss.

"Ship my ," Jaebum grumbles as he sinks back to the sofa, surprised when Youngjae coos up to him and touches his wrist gently. "Yes, I ship your with my , hyung."

And It was Mark and Yugyeom's turn now to yell a loud deal of "eeww".





---

 

 

 


A/N:

As usual! My inspiration for this is the very popular kabedon.

Please leave a comment when you're done reading; I'd love to read what you guys think~