17th December

25 Days of December

Once again, Wonshik found that he and Hongbin had run out of a necessity - this time it being coffee - though instead of playing rock paper scissors, he immediately offered to go.

Hongbin's greasy smile showed he knew exactly why.

Wonshik ignored him and knocked the door across the hall once he was ready, putting his hands in his pockets and crossing his fingers.

It was Taekwoon who answered and as soon as their eyes met, Wonshik was taken back to the night before, remembering how he'd wrapped his arm around Taekwoon's shoulder as he dozed with his head in the crook of Wonshik's neck, how he'd shivered as the older man breathed softly against his skin.

When the film had finished, Taekwoon had woken with a start and stuttered apologies and, judging by the blush creeping into his cheeks, he was still embarrassed.

"I was just wondering if you needed anything from the shop."

"I'll just get my coat," Taekwoon said after a moment of hesitation. He moved aside and Wonshik could see Hakyeon poking his head out of the kitchen, wiggling his eyebrows.

Wonshik was stony-faced in return. He lifted his hand to give Hakyeon the finger but Taekwoon reappeared and he had to let it quickly drop to his side.

"I'll be back in a minute," Taekwoon said to Hakyeon as he looped his scarf around his neck.

"No need to hurry back," Hakyeon replied with an indecent grin.

Wonshik was getting really tired of his two friends sharing the same expressions.

Taekwoon shut the door before he could retaliate.

Once they were outside, Wonshik was glad to find there was no ice on the pavements but the fact that the snow was starting thaw had his spirits sinking a little. He wondered how much longer their snowman would last.

Aside from the occasional passing car, the only sounds were their own footsteps and the wind whistling between the surrounding buildings. It was nice to be out of the apartment and away from their meddling roommates.

"Don't put your hands in your pockets," Taekwoon warned and he looked down to see he still hadn't taken them out. "It'll be dangerous if you fall again."

Remembering that episode made Wonshik want the ground to swallow him whole, though he tried to hide it behind a cheeky smile. "But I've got you to catch me again." He took his hands out regardless but then he became uncomfortably conscious of Taekwoon's hand swinging so close to his own. It took most of his willpower to keep from reaching out and grabbing it, even though a small voice in his head asked why he was afraid to try.

Thankfully, they reached the shop without any incidents and Taekwoon picked up a basket for them to share.

"Don't let me buy anything I don't need," he warned.

"Money tight because of Christmas?" Wonshik asked and Taekwoon nodded glumly.

As they moved around the shop, Wonshik had to keep a close eye on Taekwoon as he quickly found he had a tendency to wander off and start longingly eyeing Christmas chocolates and savoury selection boxes, even catching him touching the spring onions at one point.

Wonshik saw him slip some of the latter into his own side of the basket and he threw him a look of suspicion. "Do you really need those?" he asked.

Taekwoon bit his lip and eventually shook his head, putting them back where he'd gotten them from with a barely audible, forlorn sigh. Wonshik felt so cruel he half considered buying them for him himself.

"Come on," he coaxed with a chuckle, linking his arm with one of Taekwoon's to drag him away.

When they eventually got to the till, he saw the older man's eyes light up when he spotted a display of candy canes and Wonshik couldn't resist, sure he'd be unable to live with himself if he had to witness his disappointment again. He grabbed two and put them on the conveyor belt with his own shopping, pretending not to see Taekwoon's look of excitement.

He handed one to him once they'd finished paying and received a soft, heartfelt "Thank you," in return that made it more than worth it.

They lingered in the shop doorway to pull the wrappers down before sliding on their gloves and stepping outside, a bag each in one hand and their candy cane in the other.

Wonshik was glad. It meant he had an excuse for why he wouldn't reach out to take his hand.