15th December

25 Days of December

On the evening of the fifteenth, the four of them had arranged to go ice skating and Wonshik was more than pleased that Taekwoon hadn't invited Jaehwan.

They were waiting outside their apartment block for Taekwoon who had forgotten his phone and had gone back in to fetch it, stamping their feet in an attempt to warm numb toes.

Wonshik watched as Hakyeon picked up a stick and plodded over to the snow angels still visible from the night before.

"What are you doing?" he asked, moving closer to make sure he didn't ruin them.

"Making it more accurate," came the reply and Wonshik must have flushed ten shades of red when he saw Hakyeon outline a heart between the two angel's heads.

"Hakyeon!" Wonshik shrieked, leaping forwards to stamp it out, careful to avoid the original shapes.

"What's going on?"

Wonshik froze at the feathery voice.

Hakyeon giggled and tossed the stick aside. "Nothing," he sang, sharing an evil grin with Hongbin. "Wonshik's just being a scaredy cat."

"Let's go!" Wonshik shouted before Taekwoon could press the matter further.

 

* * *

 

The ice rink was down by the river, just a short walk from their apartment block, and it was, of course, packed out. Thankfully, Hakyeon had had the sense to book tickets ahead of time and they went straight through to put on their skates.

It was only when he stepped foot on the ice that Wonshik remembered why it was he never went ice skating. He had absolutely no aptitude for it and could barely manage anything more than holding onto the barrier to shuffle around the edge of the rink. He wasn't sure why he agreed to it every year.

In contrast, Taekwoon was, naturally, the epitome of grace. His hands were clasped loosely behind his back as he wove leisurely in and out of the other skaters and Wonshik eventually came to a complete standstill just to watch him. He pretended to just be taking a breather when Taekwoon noticed him.

"Need some help?" he asked daintily, gliding to a halt beside him.

"Wha— N-No, I—" He stopped bothering to think of an excuse when Taekwoon held out his hand for him to take. Accepting it sheepishly, he let Taekwoon guide him round the ice, exaggerating his ineptitude just a little so he'd have the excuse of clinging closer and tighter – though not that he'd ever admit it.

He would have been able to enjoy it much more if Hakyeon and Hongbin didn't insist on drawing hearts in the air and making kissy faces as they threw their arms around each other whenever they caught Wonshik's eye. No amount of murderous glares or subtle waves of his free hand could get them to drop it.

Taekwoon remained oblivious to their teasing for the whole of the evening, much to Wonshik's relief, and when their time was finally up, he was surprised by the disappointed pout on Taekwoon's face.

"You should have left me to it and gone to have fun on your own," Wonshik said, feeling guilty.

"I had plenty of fun," Taekwoon replied with a furious shake of his head, cheeks pink from the chill in the air.

Wonshik was just as crestfallen as Taekwoon was when they finally left the ice and he had no more reason to hold onto him.

"Maybe we could come back before they take it down," Taekwoon suggested hopefully.

Wonshik nodded in agreement, earlier complaints entirely forgotten.