13th December

25 Days of December

Wonshik had been having a particularly bad morning at work but his day brightened up considerably when Taekwoon came through the door just gone lunchtime. However, his stomach clenched when he realised Taekwoon was with the man who entered behind him.

When the time came to serve the two of them, Wonshik found himself making it clear that he and Taekwoon weren't strangers, refusing to look at the other man.

"You left quickly last night. Did you not feel too good?"

Taekwoon nodded, but for some reason he wouldn't meet Wonshik's eyes.

"You two know each other?" the man beside him asked.

"This is Wonshik. He lives across from me. And this is Jaehwan. We work together," Taekwoon mumbled.

Wonshik forced a smile as realisation dawned on the other man's face.

"Oh, so you're the one who helped build a snowman. Is this why you brought me here?" he asked, turning to Taekwoon.

Taekwoon hurried to shush him and his friend giggled at his embarrassment. Wonshik felt at least a bit mollified knowing that Taekwoon had told Jaehwan about him.

But then he began to worry whether it had been good things. The way Taekwoon had shut Jaehwan up as he laughed indicated perhaps not.

His anxiety grew when Taekwoon paid for the man's food and drink. They sat at a table opposite the counter, giving Wonshik the perfect view of their lunch date, and it had his stomach twisting with nausea.

Jaehwan was a very animated person and Wonshik could see that Taekwoon couldn't stop smiling. He also kept his eyes fixed on the other man, not sparing Wonshik a single glance. So that was the sort of person Taekwoon liked. He probably thought Wonshik was boring in contrast.

After about ten minutes of agony, Taekwoon ped his coat and shrugged it off and Wonshik saw that he was wearing a Christmas jumper, two candy canes crossed over each other with snowflakes dotted around them.

The shop was running a promotion that meant wearing a Christmas jumper would get you a free gingerbread man, so Wonshik used it as his chance to be the sole receiver of Taekwoon's attention. He plated one up - a snowman - and approached their table, unable to stop a smug rush of satisfaction when Taekwoon's eyes lit up as he offered it to him.

"You get it free," he explained, pointing at the flyer stuck in front of the till.

"Thank you." Taekwoon looked up at him through his lashes and Wonshik wished he could lean down and give him a peck on the lips. As it was, he had no other reason to linger and had to return behind the counter, watching with regret as Taekwoon split the gingerbread man down the middle and shared it with Jaehwan once they'd eaten their other food.

He wasn't jealous. He wasn't.