Birthday Date

Miss Pariah

Why did she say yes?

Jiyong folded his hands, tapping his foot anxiously against the ground. It was Saturday, and unfortunately for him, he was stuck at work, thinking about what Jiho and Jieun was doing. He glanced at the clock, noticing that it was just before noon.

They must've met already for lunch, he thought. From what he heard, the two were going to eat lunch, head to the movies, walk around a bit, and possibly have dinner. 

He glanced to his side. He saw Minah chewing her bottom lip, annoyingly staring across the room. He knew that he wasn't the only one wondering why Jieun said "yes" to Jiho's wish. 

"Hey," she finally said. "When do you get off of work?"

"Probably after those two finish their movie," Jiyong replied. "The manager wants to close the shop early. You know that he's closing up the shop for a couple of days, right?"

"Yeah, I heard," Minah said, nodding her head. "Well, I get off an hour earlier than you. Should I wait for you?"

"For what?" he asked.

She gave him a look. "You know what I'm talking about."

"Do I?"

"Don't act innocent, Jiyong. You know what I'm talking about," she repeated.

He grimaced. "I don't like to stalk people on their dates, Minah."

"Well, I do, and I like to do it with company. Here, I'll give you a good reason to go with me to follow those two idiots: if you leave me alone to chase after them, things can go horribly wrong if I get involved," she said. "Then those two would end their dates early and other social chaos like Jiho hating me will happen. All I have to do is point my finger to you and point out that you didn't care about us to get involved."

Jiyong clenched his teeth. He knew where she was trying to go with this, but he wasn't going to have things her way.

"How about," he started, "we get something to snack on after I finish my shift that coincidentally happens to be wherever Jiho and Jieun are, hm?"

She grinned and laughed. "I knew you'd break down."

"Since when?"

"Since the moment I saw you fall behind on the stool a few days ago."

* * *

Jieun took a couple of deep breaths. Things were going fine with lunch, and the movie was great. It hardly felt like a date at all, and it felt more like two good friends hanging out. The only problem with the entire event was that Jiho was not acting like himself.

The boy was acting timid, often awkwardly trying to hold her hand. His hands were sweaty, but she didn't mind that. What she minded was that she didn't like the feeling of his hand wrapping around hers. 

It just didn't fit.

"H-How was the movie?" he stuttered. His whole face turned red. "Did you get bored? Did I buy too much popcorn?"

"Oh, everything was fine," she told him. "The movie was fun. You had just enough popcorn."

He sighed. "Okay, good. I want everything to be perfect today."

But the way we're holding hands doesn't feel perfect, she thought, staring down at their fingers intertwining each other. It feels out of place.

"To be honest, the movie ended earlier than I thought. We have probably until two hours until we can eat dinner again. Do you have anywhere you want to go?" he asked her.

Jieun gave him an awkward smile. "I don't really mind where we go. You can pick."

He looked at her as if he wasn't expecting such a vague answer. He furrowed his eyebrows, deeply troubled with the current situation. When Jieun managed to catch on the fact that Jiho didn't plan this far, she cleared .

"Um, well, I think I remember seeing a café not too far back. Maybe we can have something to drink and then head to dinner?" she suggested.

"But you don't eat dinner after you drink coffee," he pointed out.

She stopped walking and blinked her eyes. "How did you know that?"

When he turned to look at her, her body stiffened. There was this unfamiliar gleam in his eyes that almost made her think that he looked kind of cool. Her heart didn't skip a beat or anything, but heat started rising up to her cheek.

"I'm always watching you," he told her in a small voice. "Haven't you noticed?"

Jieun blushed. She swore that she could feel steam bursting out of her ears. She quickly turned around, making sure that Jiho was facing her back.

Yep, she thought, fanning herself to cool down, it just doesn't fit.

"W-Well, I'm pretty sure that a café has something more than coffee. Do they sell tea? I think if we walk a little more there's a tea—"

"Jieun," Jiho said. He let out some soft chuckles. "You don't really drink tea. Plus, you don't like drinking teas around this area."

Jieun bit her bottom lip. "O-Oh, really? I didn't notice myself…"

Was Jiho always this observant? Jieun looked at him, trying to study him. Did he always look at her with the same gentle expression he was showing her now?

Guilt squeezed her heart. She didn't like this type of Jiho. It was just too weird for her.

It just didn't fit.

"How about karaoke? Bowling? Maybe we should walk around a bit?" She began to suggest random activities, but Jiho seemed to counter everything.

"You said that karaoke makes your ears hurt. You told me that you didn't care much about sports. You're already tired from walking, so I was thinking that we can do something else," Jiho said. Even though Jieun was starting to feel dejected, he was feeling slightly happy. She was thinking about him right now, and only him. That alone made Jiho one of the happiest guys in the world.

"I'm out of options," she admitted, shyly looking away.

He let out another soft chuckle. "That's okay. Since it's getting a little chilly, why don't we head over to that one coffee shop three blocks away?"

She gave him a look. "I thought you said that I can't eat dinner if I drink coffee."

"We're not going there for coffee," he said, swinging their hands a bit. "We're going there to watch a live performance."

She frowned. "A live performance? Of what?"

He smiled. "You like music, right? Then you're definitely going to like this…"

* * *

"A coffee shop with a small stage with live music. Wow, Jiho is definitely stepping up his game," Minah murmured.

"Sh," Jiyong whispered. "You don't want to speak too loudly to get their attention."

The two were sitting at least three tables away from where Jiho and Jieun were sitting in. Jiho had a small cup of coffee in his hands, while Jieun managed to have some water. The two exchanged a few words with each other, but Jiyong and Minah weren't able to hear them.

"Oh, please! We're sitting behind them. I doubt they're ever going to turn to see what's going behind the room," Minah retorted, rolling her eyes. She took a sip of her caramel latte. "Oh, and thanks for buying me coffee. I'm glad I don't have to spend my own money on this."

"You were practically demanding me to buy you coffee," Jiyong reminded her.

"Still. When you're at a coffee shop, it's only the right thing to buy coffee," she said. 

Jiyong was about to respond until the audience began to clap. He instinctively raised his hands up to his chest to clap along with the rest of the crowd. He spotted an acoustic guitarist going up the stage, testing the microphone and ready to share a sing.

"This song is for the lovely couples out here this afternoon," the guitarist said, scanning the room. "It looks like we have quite a crowd of couples tonight. Just to liven up the mood, do any of the couples here want to share their stories of being a couple?"

The guitarist looked around, then locked eyes with Jiyong. Jiyong's eyes grew wide when he saw the guitarist smile at him and Minah.

"Minah," Jiyong whispered, covering his face with his hood. "Quick, quick. Look away. Look away."

"Why?" she asked him, frowning. She looked up, then caught on with the entire situation. She gasped and pulled out her phone, pretending to be busy on her phone. "Hey boyfriend! I'm just hanging with a friend…"

Minah watched the guitarist at the corner of her eyes until the man looked away to search for his next victim. The two sighed in relief.

"You two! Up here near the front!" the guitarist exclaimed. When Minah and Jiyong looked up, they noticed that the man was pointed at Jiho and Jieun. A warm smile appeared on the man's face. "You two look adorable. Tell me, what're your names?"

Jieun was the first one who tried to speak. "We're not dat—"

Jiho was the first one to finish his sentence. "My name is Woo Jiho, and this is Lee Jieun."

"Jiho and Jieun. Everyone, let's clap for this couple right here for not shying away from the attention," the guitarist said. Everyone in the room clapped except for Jieun, Jiyong, and Minah. "So long have you been dating?"

Before Jieun could clear up the situation, Jiho spoke first.

"This is actually our first date," he said shyly.

"Your first date?" The guitarist looked genuinely surprised. "You have a good taste for first dates."

"Actually, I'm not a huge fan of coming around these kinds of places. She really likes these types of atmosphere, so I decided to take her here," Jiho revealed.

"Is that true?" the guitarist asked.

Jieun bit her bottom lip, but she managed a slow nod. It was true. Although this kind of atmosphere didn't fit Jiho, it definitely fit her. She liked the ambience of the room. She slightly grimaced when she realized that Jiho knew a lot more about her than she did.

Could he possibly like m…? She shook her thought. No. It's just because we're friends. He's just observant.

"Well, how romantic. Then let me play you two a song to cheer for your love," the guitarist said. He began to shift his body in his seat, then strummed some chords. As he sang live and played the guitar, a smile appeared on Jiho's lips while Jieun looked down at her fingers, pretending to listen to the song.

Jiyong kept his eyes on Jieun the entire time. He knew that she was feeling uncomfortable, but what could she do? She was always the quiet, submissive type. She wouldn't tell Jiho that she just wanted to go home. No, it wasn't like she wouldn't—she couldn't.

"Hey," Minah said, interrupted Jiyong's thoughts. He glanced at her from the corner of his eyes. "Why do you think Jiho asked Jieun out on a date?"

"Because he likes her," Jiyong said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Of course," she muttered bitterly, "but come on. Think about it. He's suddenly asking her on a date out of the blue. Why didn't he ask her on a date before?"

"Maybe he just gathered up his courage or something," Jiyong said. "Besides, doesn't this look better? Jiho and Jieun. He could protect her. He loves her."

"Of course they look better." Those words kind of stung in Jiyong's chest. "Look at those two. Jiho looks like the happiest man in the world, while Jieun seems to be somewhat adaptive to the situation."

"So what's your problem?"

"My problem is how Jiho asked her out on a date. He knows that she's still not into him like how he likes her, but he still asked her out on a date."

"Minah, I don't get it. Where are you trying to go with this?"

She gave him a firm look. "Didn't it feel to impulsive when he asked her out? It's as if he felt threatened, so he desperately needed to secure Jieun. In this case, he's trying to secure her by going on a date."

Jiyong raised his eyebrows. "What are you trying to say…?"

"Jiyong, I know your personality. You know what I'm trying to say. Don't make me say it for you," Minah said, rolling her eyes. 

"You're saying that Jiho knows that Jieun has a crush on someone," Jiyong said, gulping.

"Don't say 'someone.' You know who she likes," Minah pointed out.

He gave her a serious look. "What do you know about Jieun liking me?"

"I know Jieun loves you," Minah said, "but I don't know if you love her."

"Are you doubting me?"

"Aren't you doubting yourself?"

She was right. He was doubting himself, especially when he saw Jieun standing next to Jiho. He was doubting whether or not those two looked good together. Something felt odd.

Something didn't fit.

"Anyway, are you hungry for dinner?" Minah asked.

"No. I usually skip dinner. Why?" Jiyong asked.

She pointed to the door. "Because the song ended, and those two are leaving for dinner."

He frowned. "Don't you think that's enough stalking for today? I don't want to invade their privacy."

She smirked. "Do you do that often?"

"Do what often?"

"Lie to yourself," she said.

He grimaced. "I try not do."

"Do you lie to others?" she asked.

He didn't reply. Instead, he got up and began walking out the door, making Minah grunt and trudge behind him.

When the two were outside, Jiyong noticed that Jiho and Jieun were gone. 

 * * *

"Ah, this ."

Minah and Jiyong walked down the streets, putting their hands in their pockets. The cold autumn breeze blew against their faces as they lowered their faces to prevent the air from meeting their skin.

"We couldn't meet them," Minah continued. "I thought that we could at least sneak up on them during dinner or something. You know, to give Jiho a scare."

"Don't be mean, Minah. I'm sure he wouldn't want that," Jiyong said.

"I know he wouldn't want that. That's why I'd do it," she said, laughing. She stopped when her eyes softened and when she saw the autumn leaves falling to the ground. "It's autumn."

Jiyong looked up at the sky. "Is it."

They were silent for a minute. Then, Minah sighed and scratched her head.

"I can't help but keep picturing Jiho kissing Jieun or something. I feel like they went on a real date."

"I'm pretty sure we won't meet them again," Jiyong said. "So who knows, maybe they did kiss."

"Aren't you worried?" she asked him.

"Not at all," he replied, but he didn't look at her. "Look, let me take you home."

"Of course, of course," she muttered. Just when she was about to look down at the ground, her eyes caught sight of two familiar people at the mark. Her eyes slightly widened and she grabbed Jiyong's sleeve. "Jiyong, look, look!"

"What now?" he asked, grumbling. However, when he looked at where Minah was looking at, his eyes widened.

At the park, in the dim light, Jiho and Jieun were talking to each other face-to-face. Minah was surprised to see Jiho so flustered. For the first time in her life, she began to realize how much Jiho loved Jieun. The way he looked into her eyes and didn't look anywhere else at all, the way he kept a comfortable distance between the two…

Minah clenched her teeth, envious over Jieun's situation.

"They look…charming," Minah remarked slowly. When she heard no response, she looked over to see Jiyong's reaction.

His eyes were wider than usual, and he looked like he was genuinely surprised over the way Jiho reacted over Jieun. She knew that Jiyong could see the deep, rich love that filled Jiho's eyes. However, when she looked closer, she noticed that Jiyong saw something that she didn't see. She turned her head over to the two, trying to figure out what Jiyong was seeing and what she couldn't see.

She let out a small gasp. The small movements he made with his fingers, the way he was getting quiet, and the way he stared at not Jieun's eyes, but the lips—

He was going to kiss her.

"Come on," Jiyong said, grabbing Minah's shoulder. "We're leaving."

"W-What?" she stuttered, widening her eyes. "Are you seriously suggesting to leave? He's going to—"

"Minah, go home," Jiyong told her. "The bus isn't that far, right? You can walk alone, right?"

She wasn't sure what was happening, but she could tell that Jiyong was planning something. He wasn't going to tell her, so that would mean that she would have to find out by herself.

"Okay, fine," she said, nodding her head. She got up, then slowly began to move. "I'll go home alone, even though you said that you'd take me home…"

"Yeah, yeah," he muttered. "I'm going to stop by somewhere real quick. Later."

With that, the two parted. Jiyong walked a little bit, making sure that he was far enough to see if Minah was gone, but close enough to see Jieun and Jiho at the park. When he confirmed that Minah was gone, he quickly scurried back to the other side of the park to spy on the two.

"Did you have fun?" Jiho asked her.

"Yeah, I had a lot of fun," Jieun said, smiling. Then, she broke into a small giggle. "You know, why couldn't we just do all these things as friends? Are you that desperate to have a girlfriend or something?"

"Or something," he said seriously. "I'm not that desperate to have a girlfriend."

She kept looking at him. "Then what is this 'something'?"

"Do you want to know?" he asked. 

Jieun shivered. The way he asked that question made it seem like as if he was giving her a warning. It was like he was telling her that she knew the answer, except she didn't want to think about the answer.

No, she didn't want to admit the answer.

"Should I do it?" she asked weakly.

He pressed his lips, then shyly glanced her at her lips. "Close your eyes."

Jieun hitched her breath. "Do I have to?"

"Close your eyes," he repeated.

She did. She slowly closed her eyes, then tensed her facial expression. She felt his hands running through her long hair. His thumb pressed against her cheeks, while his other hand tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear.

Was it the black that made this more scary? Perhaps it was because how close he was getting. She could feel him coming closer and closer, ready to steal a kiss from her…

I don't want that, she thought. I don't want that. I don't—

She felt something heavy on her shoulders. A familiar scent lingered below her nose. The same warmth that she had longed to feel embraced her thin shoulders. 

She knew who this was: Kwon Jiyong.

She lifted her eyelids, only to see that Jiyong had one arm protectively wrapped over her shoulders, while his other hand put a firm distance between her and Jiho. Her eyes enlarged as she noticed Jiyong's serious expression.

Suddenly, a wide smile appeared on his face.

"Hey! Funny bumping into you two!" Jiyong exclaimed. He slowly dropped the extended hand, but brought Jieun closer to his chest. She blushed. "I was walking around and I noticed you two here. It's getting late. How was your date?"

She looked at Jiho, noticing that he had his jaws wide open. He looked shocked to see Jiyong appear out of nowhere. Yet, there was this bitter expression on his face. He slowly closed his mouth and looked away with a hateful expression.

"It was just a hangout," he muttered. "It was good."

"Y-Yeah," Jieun stuttered, shyly looking down at her feet. "I-It was really good…"

"Really?" Jiyong smirked. "That's good to know." He looked around. "Well, let's go home!"

"I can take her home," Jiho said quickly. "We live right next to each other."

"Yeah, but…" Jiyong grabbed Jiho's shoulder and pulled him over to the other side. Now, he was standing between Jiho and Jieun, his arms wrapping each individual's shoulders. "…You guys are still kids. I think I should take you home. It's late."

"But—"

"I-I think that's a good idea," Jieun said, feeling hot. "I-I think that'd be nice, right, Jiho?"

Jiho grimaced. "But…"

"Come on!" Jiyong exclaimed, pushing the two forward. "Let's go home…" 

He smirked at Jiho, who clenched his teeth when he noticed. 

* * *

When the three arrived home, Jieun was the first to go in. As she bid her goodbyes to the boys, she slowly glanced at Jiyong. When he smiled at her, she turned bright red and rushed inside to think about the latest moments she had with him.

The two boys were left alone in front of the houses. After they were sure that Jieun was inside at somewhere deeper into the house, Jiho whirled around and glared at Jiyong.

"That was dirty," Jiho argued.

"What was?" Jiyong asked innocently, walking Jiho to his house. 

"You knew what I was going to do," the younger boy said.

"Let's be honest, were you really going to kiss her?" Jiyong asked. When Jiho pressed his lips, unable to respond, Jiyong broke into another smirk. "See? You weren't going to. You're gentle, Jiho. That's what I like about you."

"But that's not what Jieun sees in me," Jiho complained. He pouted. "She only sees me as a good friend." He sighed and messed up his own hair. "I hate you so much!"

Jiho stormed into his house, not waiting for Jiyong's response. 

"Yeah, yeah," Jiyong said, taking out a cigarette from his pocket. He did feel a bit guilty for ruining Jiho's date, but it was necessary.

Why was it necessary? He decided not to answer that.

Just beyond the alleyway, he saw a familiar figure approach him. His eyes widened as he saw Minah skip towards him with a delighted smile on her face. He looked at the house, then back at Minah.

"I thought you said you were going home," Jiyong said.

"I made another turn at another street," she said. "On the other hand, why are you here?"

When he was about to make up a lie, he noticed the cheesy expression she made on her face. That was when he knew that she knew everything.

"You saw," he stated. "You saw us."

"It was fun watching your reaction," Minah remarked. "I almost thought you were going to let them kiss."

Over my dead body, he thought. However, he kept a grim expression. "Why'd you watch? Why'd you stay?"

"Is that so important right now?" she asked him. He didn't reply, and she knew why. She smirked. "Do you like Jieun?"

"I don't kn—"

"That's a lie," Minah stated. "You know. You just don't want to admit it." She tilted her head to the side. "Is it so bad to admit it?"

"That I'm in love?" Jiyong asked. "It is."

"Why?" she asked.

He looked down at his ring finger bad rubbed it. Then, after exhaling a puff of smoke, he looked at Minah with serious, sad eyes.

"Jieun's a good girl. She doesn't deserve me. I'd like it better if Jiho can sweep her off her feet someday," Jiyong told her.

"Okay, that last part is a total lie," Minah said, swinging the gate open to her house. She turned her head. "Trust me, I want Jieun to find happiness with someone, too, but I don't want it to be with Jiho."

"Why? Jiho likes her," Jiyong said.

"You, sir," Minah said, pointing at him, "are a man full of contradictions and lies. I wonder why Jieun likes you so much."

"Are you going to tell?" he asked her.

She paused, pondering on the question. Then, she shook her head.

"No," she answered. "I won't."

He let out a sigh of relief. "Thank you."

"She told me about the three-years thing. I'm just going to wait how things develop in those three years." She glowered at him. "But I sincerely hope that she finds someone better than you."

"I do, too," Jiyong muttered, walking away. 

But really, I don't.