Bon Odori Miyazaki's Attractions

A Shattered Heart

“So beautiful! I wished I had a daughter but what can I do, I only have Dylan. This yukata is so pretty. It suit best on you!” Dylan’s mom said.

“Thank you, aunty. I appreciate this so much.”

“I wish I can meet your mother. This is her yukata. Our late mother made it when we were 17. Same age as you. What a waste, she left first.” She said again.

"Aunty knows my mom since you were small? Looks like you, uncle and my mom are very close." I said. I didn't know Dylan's mother is well known in our family since they were teen.

"Yes. I remember it was an arranged marriage when we got to know 5 years before we are married but Dylan's daddy proposed me 10 years before we get married." She chuckled. It reminds her romantic proposal and laughed cutely at me. 

“I will bring Risa for the festival.” Dylan said; correcting his yukata.

“Be home before it’s too late, dear! Daddy won’t be pleased to see you late.”

“Yes mom. We will.”

“Enjoy Risa!”

“Thank you aunty.”

Dylan walked me to the festival and it was the same as normal bon odori (Summer Festival in Japan) but the feel and atmosphere are different since it is not the real bon odori. Just a normal Miyazaki’s version.

“Hey, Dylan kun!” A few bunch of girls in yukata greeted him, followed by a few of his male friends.

“Hey Dylan!”

“Hi guys.. Here, this is my cousin. J.Risa. She came from Tokyo.”

“These are my schoolmates. Most of them are my kindergarten friends.” Dylan said to me. The girls waved at me and the boys smiled at me.

“Risa.” I smiled as a reply. “Please take good care of me.”

“Hope you can make yourself comfortable soon.” Said one of them. “Oh, I’m Ryota.”

“Thank you and nice to meet you Ryota.”

“I’m gonna bring Risa around. Catch you guys later.” Dylan said and they went on separate ways.

“You sure are having a lot of friends. I’m pretty envy to watch you smile to each other.” I said while following Dylan.

“It’s pretty easy if you know how to encounter them. Sounds like you are not the friendly though.”

Kinda….

We stopped in front of a golden fish game. “Have you ever tried this before?” He handed me a cotton fish catcher. I shook my head.

Dylan showed me how to catch the golden fishes and it was exciting whenever I got a few gold fish. He laughed at my reaction and it was my first time. My very first time to enjoy such a joyous moment with a cousin. I have never had this experience before since I was born. Well except that one time, when I was with Taiki but that was different. I have never experience a big festival like this with Taiki. He left before we get to.

“We got a giant teddy bear as a souvenir. Hope that will accompany you for your long stay here.” He said.

“Hope so…” I hugged to my teddy bear tightly. Dylan stopped at one of the takoyaki shop and bought us a packet of hot takoyaki with six pieces each.

“These are Miyazaki’s famous food. Well of course it is one of our best food aside of sushi and okonamiyaki but it taste different from the city. Fresh from the oven.”

Dylan poked a takoyaki and feed me one. The fresh taste of the squid and the smell from the sea is really refreshing! This is really good! More than I have ever tasted. “Nice isn’t it?”

I nodded and took another bite. I went to the nearest beverage stall and bought a cup of iced green tea. This is really an enjoyable moment. I wish I could have this festival every month!

“Come, the fireworks will start soon.” He pulled my wrist and we sat at the beach; facing the dark sky and a few stars blinking in front of our eyes.

“Woah…. Miyazaki will have bon odori twice in a year?” I asked.

“Em. But the Miyazaki’s version is much better to me. If you have the chance we can join the real bon odori next year.” He said, glancing at me in the dark night.

“I didn’t realise the time ran so fast. I thought we just came here at 7 but it was already 9. Thank you for letting me enjoy this exciting festival.”

“Sure.”

I didn’t realise the fireworks were already end as Dylan stood up and brushed the sand off his yukata. “We should go now. Mom and Riyuu-nii (Elder brother Riyuu) are waiting for us. I have school tomorrow too.” He said.

“Oh.” I stood up, brushed the sand away, and corrected my obi. We went to the main road and once again we met his friends.

“Shigeru, Ryota, Raiden, girls. We are heading back. Mom would be waiting for us. Sorry I can’t enjoy much with you guys. See you tomorrow in school.” He said.

“That early?!”

“You are coming to our school tomorrow?” One of the girls asked me.

“Erm, no. I will be starting next week.”

“I see. Here, have some sweets. You are not allergic to bean paste, are you?”

“No. I’m fine. Thank you.” I said and took the sweets from her.

“See you tomorrow, Dylan kun.” The girls chanted and they walked away. Both of us walked back home and I feel so exhausted. And my other first time, walking this much, enjoying myself in such a simple festival. I feel blessed!

We reached home and I saw aunty and Riyuu were having some tea ceremony in the living hall. Tea ceremony at night? That’s odd.

“You are back! How was it? Exciting?” She asked. Riyuu shifted his body and glanced at us. He moved away and sat next to aunty while the two of us sat next to each other while facing the elderly.

“It was exciting. I have never thought it would be this nice!” I said excitedly.

“Fun as usual.” Dylan said in his monotone.

“Glad that you enjoyed the festival. And I have something to tell you Risa. I have to go back tomorrow. Sadly, they have me to do some work the following day and I couldn’t send you on your first day in Miyazaki’s school. Aunty Aya will do it on my behalf.” Riyuu said. I was stunned suddenly when our eyes met. It was the first time I saw him in a yukata after 3 years. I feel like crying of happiness. The perfect face is staring at me. Well that is what his fans going to say.

“You are, mom?” Suddenly Dylan cut in.

“Why? I really wait for time like this! Introduce to the PTA’s about my daughter.”

“I don’t think that is a good idea, mom. You are going to be kick out if you lied. You know how scary the moms are.”

“Fine but still I’ll be the one sending her. And I hope she will be placed in your class, Dylan.” His mom said. “You two can go up and change now. Have some good rest, Dylan. School tomorrow.” She added.

“Yes, mom.”

Both of us went to our room and changed. The festival hasn’t ended and I found myself staring outside of the window; enjoying the lights and lanterns lit up at the lake. Looks odd but it is really pretty. I peeked out of the window and saw Dylan is half , making me jumped and hit the glass right on my forehead.

“What were you thinking?” He shifted and glared at me.

“Nothing. I was…… shocked. Please continue with what you were doing.” I said and suddenly stepped on something and tripped. “Ahhhh!”

Ouch….

I heard stomping feet outside of my door and the door slammed inwards. I peeked up and seeing Dylan in bathrobe; panting. “Oh you really make me worried!” He scold and closed the door behind him.

He walked to the windows, where I am and reached out his hand. I took his hand but then I stepped on something slippery and fall again but this time he’s beneath me. Our lips were just a few centimeters away and eyes locked into each other. His beautiful face makes me want to run a touch on his cheek. His deep and intense gazes sent electrics and I feel unsecure—lost in thoughts. We stuck onto each other for quite a few moment and I can’t help myself get my mind straight. Cut this crap out Risa! 

“Sorry..” I pulled myself away from him and froze while having my rest on the wooden floor.

“Sorry about just now.” He said and averting his eyes from meeting mine’s.

I tried to shift my attentions by untied the string and took off my obi but it was complicated. He stood and knelt behind me, untie the strings and took the cloth one by one.

I feel so embarrassed. I know I shouldn’t feel this way. He is my cousin! My own family! Not a stranger. Oh my goodness, I can feel my cheeks are burning. Ahh, just forget it. It was just an accident. Nothing much. Dylan is cool. Sort of…