Your boyfriend? - Shori

A Shattered Heart

Nakajima and Kikuchi-san helped me with my homework and the clock shows 9.45. I have 15 minutes left before 10 and that should be fine. I pack my things back into my backpack as Nakajima-san placed a glass of cold water in front of me.

“Have it a little before you go.” He said as he took a seat in front of me. I gulped the water in my so-not-feminine way and wash the glass in their pantry.

“Thank you for the tutoring and also the water.” I said, slinging my bag at my shoulder.

“You are welcome. Feel free to ask for more but you know you have to make a call first.” Kikuchi-san said. They rise from the chair and send me out of their room. I bid goodbye and when I was about to put on my heels, I accidentally bumped my forehead on someone’s nose.

“Ouch…” I moaned. It was Marius. Hahah, his ‘ouch’ sounded like an edited voice into alien.

“Risa! Good to see you!” He squealed and flung his arms around me. I shrieked at his tight and shocking teddy bear hug.

“Me too. Me too. Urm, I’m sorry Marius. I have to go now. I need to see someone at 10.” I said and corrected my bag pack. 

“Ah.. what a waste. I was about to have a short chit-chat with you. Next time then.”

“Sure. Bye everyone!” I waved and ran towards the elevator I used earlier. After I pressed the down button, I peeked down and I saw Sato was in the elevator that I’m waiting for. “Oh crap…”

I can’t run anywhere here. The others might thought that Riyuu is coming for I’m trying to avoid from Sato. So, I changed my direction towards the emergency exits and ran down the stairs. I pull the door inwards and intentionally to use the elevator but then the one Sato is in, stops at the same level as mine. Not just that, the door is widely open and he is just a few meters away from me.

I gasped and turned around before he tilts his head. I walk casually back into the emergency exits and run down the stairs until ground floor. Looks like Riyuu is out of the scene. I pressed the code and the door opens for me. I’m safely out of this building.

Why is Sato here? I thought his schedule would finish at 2? That was what Nakajima and Kukuchi-san said. But at least, it was a relief that he didn’t notice I was in front of him. I’m so grateful for that. Suddenly, Taiki came across my mind. I open my email homepage and Taiki’s engagement news are all over the email’s homepage. He is getting married soon then.. Because he got into an engagement that early.

How long it was? 7 years? I was 10 when we were in the same school. Taiki is my cousin from late mom's side. His mother is the second in the sibling while my mom is the youngest. Dylan's dad is the eldest. Taiki has been always travel around the world and I barely meet him. The three of us were born in the same year.

I left Miyazaki and lived in Tokyo with dad after Dylan's mom objected my relationship with Dylan. She said that she wanted to protect the family from marrying within the family members but it never cross my mind to be Dylan's wife. I just don't understand how he ended up liking me more than as a cousin. I was walking in the neighbourhood and I have reached to our usual cafe. I stepped into the cafe and saw Taiki was sipping his drink. He glanced up and stood from his seat.

"Taiki?! Is that really you?!" I ran to his table.

"Me." He stretched his arms wide open and hugged me tightly. "7 years had past. And you grew shorter." He teased.

"Shut up. Your hormone is raging too much that's why you are tall. Like a lamp post!" We broke into a laughter. We took a seat, opposite to each other and a waiter came; setting a cup of lemon tea in front of me. "You remember?" I turned to him. He gave me his naughty smile.

"Of course. I remember when you choke a cup of coffee when we were in our elementary. Oh, I can't forget that! It was so funny! I had to rush you to the infirmary because you choke so hard. Like a walrus." He said.

"What the hell?!"

“Hey, how are you doing?” He asked after he took a sip of his drink.

“Good. I guess.”

“Sounds not to me. Broke up with a boyfriend? Well, I don’t think you had one, don’t you?”

“That’s harsh you know. Sort of. Almost there actually. A long story to explain and I’m lazy to explain now.”

“You better next time. Oh by the way, I heard from mommy that you visited Miyazaki and met Dylan there. How is he doing?”

“He’s good. Nothing much. He brought me to some good places in Miyazaki.”

“Great then.”

“I saw the news. Everywhere. How is she? A good one? I’m surprised you know.”

“She is good but we aren’t good together. It was crap one to me.” He is annoyed at his engagement. He just rolled his eyes after he said that he hates it.

“Why?”

“I don’t know. She seems nice but it doesn’t attract me that much and she is so clingy. I feel so limited. I mean I can’t move around alone.”

“Call off then.”

“As easy as you can say? I would be thrown into a deserted island by daddy.”

“Can’t run either.”

 

The next day, I went to school together with Taiki. It was nice to have my very close cousin in the same school with me. The history is repeating again and I couldn't describe the joy for having him near to my side. We were walking in the school compound towards the main building and every girls we pass by have their eyes glued at us. Okay, not us but Taiki. He got lots of attentions on his first day?! I hate it. The attentions they are giving me when they knew Riyuu was my brother. Crap!

“Looks like they are going to barge into my class to know more about you, Taiki the Crab” I said.

“You are that popular too? I didn’t know. Because you were the introvert type so people don’t really bother about your existent. Pity you (in Korean). But I'm already used to this thing. So, I don’t really care about it that much.” He said and grabbed my hand. He pulled me into the building and we were running towards our class but then we stopped immediately before the discipline teacher catches us.

“I think you should meet with our homeroom teacher first before you enter my class. And we got the same class again! Ahah! We are destined to be together!” I said and we laughed for our jerkiness but then someone made us stop in the middle of the hallway.

Taiki was laughing with us but then his smiles faded away when he saw my eyes were locked at a person in front of us and my hand let go of Taiki’s arm. How should I start first?

“Oh you came back!” He said as he ran to give a hug to me but I backed away; making him stops and his expression fells.

“Yes, I am.”

“You just….backed away. I thought we had agreed yesterday.”

I remain silence. He knew what I was thinking and we both knew what we are talking about but I can’t let that happen again. No more. I’m so sorry.

“No. You got it wrong. I never did.”

Sato’s expression changed and he looked scared as if he is doesn’t want to hear the negative part after what I have just said. This is true, Sato. We can never be together. I have to change my mind and let go my egoistic attitude for my own brother and even for everybody around us.

“Because of him?” He asked, averting his eyes to Taiki. “Who is he? Your boyfriend?”

“None of your business.” I turned away, avoiding his eyes.

“Let’s go Taiki. We are going to be late.” I said and grabbed Taiki’s arm; pulling him with me.

“Who is he?” Taiki then asked soon after we reached the staff room.

“Someone that I know and it was a long story to explain to you. I'm going now. See you later.” I said in my cold voice. My mood is ruined seeing him again after my heart shattered because of him. No. It was not because of Sato this time. It was because of me. I chose to be this way. For everybody…