One

Perfectly Insensate

 

A sharp cry of distress jolted my dulled senses. I could barely even feel the softness of the bed beneath me and yet, was forced to stare at the wide eyed lady clutching at my hands. She was fussing about my side and I winced.

 

“Oh! Seungwan ah! My poor Seungwan!” She cried.

 

I cringed at the piercing volume, “M-Mom…”

 

She opened in delight but before she could spill out her usual string of rants, an elderly man had entered the room. My focus shifted to him.

 

“Miss Son?” He peered at me through thick glasses.

 

I nodded weakly, only just noticing the stiffness of my neck, “Yes…” Noting the white coat and file in his hand.

 

“You’ve been asleep for about two weeks. We just had you transferred here from ICU yesterday. Glad to see you up.”

 

“Oh…”

 

He exchanged a worried glance with my mother, “Miss Son, may I ask… What do you recall about your accident?”

 

“Accident...” I repeated with a concentrated frown, “I was... uhh...” The merciless throbbing of my head made it difficult to think.

 

The doctor nodded encouragingly.

 

“Uh…hit by... a car?”

 

He looked almost stern, “That was what you remembered?”

 

I felt a prickle of annoyance, feeling as if I’ve wrongly answered a test question, “Is that… not? I remember a car crash…”

 

“Okay.” He nodded, “And may I ask, what year is it now, Miss Son?”

 

I paused for a moment wondering if this was some sort of trick question, “2014?”

 

He nodded again, finally with a slight smile towards my mother, “Right. Looks like everything is still under control for now.”

 

“T-Then is it o-okay to c-check out soon?” I struggled to say.

 

His tone was casual and light, “Of course… Soon.” and left with an unreadable expression.


 

Even though my head still feels groggy from the accident or whatever that happened, I know I really want to get home.

 

Hospitals somewhat irk me…


 

“Seungwan ah.”

 

I turned slowly, “Yeah?”

 

“How are you feeling?”

 

“G-Great.” I tried to smile, “Couldn’t you get me out of here asap?”

 

“I can try, but how are you really feeling?”

 

“I… I’m good…” I replied uncertainly.

 

She doesn’t seem convinced, “Seungwan ah…”

 

“Yeah?” I frowned.

 

The feeling of uneasiness was creeping up my spines and I gulped while seeing her expression.

 

“The doctor says I shouldn’t be telling you this but…” She remained silent and I could tell she’s debating… Then it hit me like in the movies!

 

“Oh my god... it’s not 2014?” I felt my heart scrunch up painfully at the anticipation.

 

She blinked in shock and then heaved a sigh, before chuckling somewhat in relief, “It is 2014, my dear.”

 

“Then what is-”

 

“Miss Son, it’s time for your checkup.” A nurse knocks on the door.

 

Mother stood up at once with a quick wave, “I’ll see you later, dear.”

 

“M-Mom…” I stared at her as she scurried out of the room.

 

“Miss Son, shall we change the bandage on your head?”

 

I glanced up at the nurse and dipped my head once lightly, “Yes please…”



 

***




 

No! I’m stuck!

 

My legs are stuck in the front seat of the car! The car is crushed by something I can’t see what it is!

 

The pain is killing me I swear. My body feels wet and there’s something dripping down my face...

 

My throat feels like it’s on fire...


 

Wait! I see it! Light!

 

A slit of light appeared at the end of the darkness!

 

I tried to reach out as far as I can despite the pain biting into my arms…

 

It was then that my fingers felt like it touched something wet. Retracting my hands to the sight of blood red stains… I felt my heart caving in...


 

Then red came...

 

Red began seeping in through the cracks in the dark…

 

The stench of red filled the cramped space I was trapped in and I felt like throwing up to the thick metallic burnt stench.


 

Blood…

 

A blood puddle was forming in front of me...

 

A figure began to take form out of the blood. A mass of flesh inched closer and reached out to my face.



 

***



 

“Seungwan ah!!” A voice yelled from above.

 

I jolted awake with open eyes, grasping the blankets. There were people around me…

 

“Blood!!!” I lifted my hands to stare at them, “Blood…” No blood...

 

My mother’s face was paled, “Seungwan ah!”

 

I realized I was gasping and panting for air, “M-Mom!”

 

“What happened? Does it hurt?!” She questioned.

 

“Hurt?” I held my head, “No… No…”

 

“Seungwan?” She pried my hands away, “It’s okay. It’s just a bad dream.”

 

I nodded profusely, “Dream…”

 

“I’m here. Don’t be afraid…”

 

“O-Okay…” I felt my heart rate slowing down to a more comfortable pace...

 

“What did you dream about, Seungwan ah? You were screaming really loudly. I was frightened.”

 

“I… I was?”

 

She nodded, “Are you okay?”

 

I swallowed, “I’m fine… The crash probably made me nervous about everything…”

 

“I see.” She turned to the nurse, “Please tell the doctor I would like to have a word with him as soon as possible. Thank you.”

 

“Sure, Mrs Son.”

 

“Mom… Can you stay... for a bit here?”

 

“Of course. I won’t be going anywhere, dear.” She smiled.


 

I nodded gratefully and closed my eyes, feeling the exhaustion take over instantly…