Threat or Treat?

Karma Café

 

“Minseok-ah, make me coffee… please,” Luhan begged while putting on his best sad puppy look as he walked into the coffee corner. He pulled out a chair for himself in front the chubby-cheeked barista and buried his head into his arms on the table.

“Hard time, huh?” Minseok replied casually while pulling down a cup from the cup holder. He’d always been able to guess his best friend’s moods even when he tried to hide it and today, something was definitely troubling Luhan. 

“Well… I called Nǎinai this morning and she said something about Baekhyun’s past.” Luhan mumbled into his arms as the comforting wafts of hot coffee fills the room.

Minseok widened his eyes in shock. “Was it something bad?” He asked carefully.

“She said his ex-boyfriend’s going to come back sometime soon.” Luhan answered with anxious tone while moving his head so that his chin rested on this arms.

“What? The jerk?!” Minseok frowned and shook his head worriedly. “Luhan, we can’t let it happen! We should protect Baekhyun.”

“Yeah, of course Minseok-ah. Nǎinai already told me we should.” Luhan reassured Minseok.

“Do you think he knows that Baekhyun works here? I hope he doesn’t.” Minseok shuddered, the worst scenarios flashing in his mind.

“I doubt it. I mean, it’s been three years since they’ve broke up.” Luhan frowned in thought as he tried to remember the incident three years ago that led to their first meeting with Baekhyun.

“Technically, it wasn’t so much a break-up as Baekhyun running away from their apartment.” Minseok corrected as he brought over a freshly brewed cup of coffee and placed it in front of Luhan

Luhan sighed in pure comfort as he sipped the milky-coloured creamy coffee, savouring the feeling of the hot liquid going down his throat and warming himself up from the inside. “Thanks for the coffee, Minseok-ah.”

“Anytime.” Minseok beamed back, knowing that his coffees always cheer up Luhan.

They enjoyed a moment of soothing silence between them when suddenly a boy wearing a high school uniform and black beanie, walked up beside Luhan.

“Hyung!!” He chirped over Luhan’s startled figure, calling to Minseok.

“Yah! Kim Jiwon! What are you doing here?!” Minseok asked in a mix of shock and anger.

The beanie boy pouted. “It’s Bobby, Hyuuuung!” He whined cutely.

“Bobby! You came!” Luhan smiled at the boy after he had gotten over the initial shock and cleaned up the small puddle of coffee he spilled with a napkin.

Luhan raised his fist for a fist bump, to which Bobby dutifully answered. “Luhan Hyung! I missed you so much! Minseok Hyung forbid me to come here often.” Bobby explained to Luhan and pouted sadly at the ground while he shuffled his feet cutely in faux sadness.

“You…. little tattler!” Minseok said as he clenched his teeth.

Bobby’s eyes widened as he hid behind the back of Luhan’s chair.

Luhan laughed heartily and turned around in his chair to talk to the boy. “You came here directly after school ended?”

“Yeah Hyung! iKON just had a dance exercise in the building beside your café. I came to buy some cold coffees for the members!” Bobby answered cheerfully and revealed his cute eye smile.

Luhan’s mouth formed a small ‘o’. Kim Jiwon or Bobby is Kim Minseok’s little brother. He’s now in 2nd grade of high school. He likes dance and he is part of a seven-membered dance team called iKON. They’re one of the most famous highschool dance crews in the city.

“Have you and your members already eat? Do you want me to pack you some kimbap?” Luhan offered.

“Omo! Can you, Hyung? Thank you so much~!” Bobby replied happily and nodded his head enthusiastically.

“No Luhan, you,” Minseok reached out to pull Luhan back down into his chair, but Luhan quickly dodged and left for the kitchen, obviously pretending to not have heard anything.

“Jiwon-ah!” Minseok shouted at his dongsaeng.

“What hyung? I’m not doing something wrong.” Bobby pouted. “Luhan Hyung offered, so I accepted. It is only respectful.” He said in a posh tone.

Minseok rolled his eyes and gave up. “What do you want for the ice coffee then?” he said tiredly.

“Ice Americano! Make that seven of them!” Bobby answered cutely with a wide grin.

***

“How much is it, Hyung?” Bobby asked Luhan after the ice Americanos and the kimbap were already packed neatly in a plastic bag and was set on the coffee pantry.

“My treat, for you and your members, Bobby-ya!” Luhan answered as he patted the younger’s head, setting his beanie slightly askew.

“Luhan!” Minseok shouted.

“Eyyy! Don’t be like that, Hyung!” Bobby chirped as he pulled out his wallet from his pocket.

Luhan pushed away Bobby’s wallet as the younger was pulling out some money to pay for the meal.

“Go now, Bobby-ya, before I change my mind.” Luhan glared, despite the happy smile across his face.

“Thank you so much, Luhan Hyung!” Bobby bowed and promptly picked up the plastic bag carefully from the pantry. “See you later, Minseok Hyung! Love chu~!” Bobby laughed and gave a cheeky peck on Minseok’s plush cheek.

“Yah! Kim Jiwon!” Minseok shouted in surprised at his dongsaeng’s sudden attack. Bobby had always like skinship more than Minseok.

“Practice hard! Fighting!” Luhan shouted in encouragement after Bobby made his way to the café’s front entrance.

“Thank you Hyung! Bye bye!” He answered and walked out to café to go to the next door building.

“He isn’t even a real artist but he already has stage name. A stupid one at that.” Minseok commented bitterly after his dongsaeng had left.

Luhan laughed, knowing that Minseok didn’t really mean it. That’s just what siblings do. “He’s really cute! Besides, iKON is really famous for a group of highschoolers, Minseok-ah!”

Minseok’s lips formed a hard line. “You’re too nice to Jiwon, Luhannie. He’s gonna become spoiled.” Minseok replied, still not agreeing with Luhan’s kind attitude to his dongsaeng.

“It wasn’t that much Minseok-ah. It was just snacks! Besides, I like it when the people around me are happy.” Luhan beamed and nudged Minseok with his shoulder to try to get the other to cheer up.

The corners of Minseok’s frown turned upwards as it formed a toothless smile. “Thank you for treating Jiwon like your brother, Luhan.” Minseok thanked his boss gratefully.

“No need to thank me, we’re all family here!” Luhan patted Minseok’s shoulder. “Anyway, who said it was free? I’ll deduct it from your salary.” Luhan said jokingly and ran away before Minseok could realize what the other had said.

“YAH! LUHANNIE!” He yelled in disbelief.

***

It wasn’t long before Chanyeol, Jongdae and Sehun decided to visit Karma Café again. As they entered through the café’s glass door and Jongdae’s eyes automatically flew to the coffee corner. His face instantly fell to a frown when he saw the cute barista get a kiss from a guy with an annoying eye smile. Jongdae doesn’t know who that boy is but he immediately doesn’t like him.

He said he wasn’t interested in high schoolers, but look at him! Getting kissed by a guy who looks like he’s in middle school! Jongdae groaned internally, feeling very irritated.

“What are you doing?” Sehun shook Jongdae from his trance, noticing the frown on his friend’s face.” “Let’s get a seat!” Sehun shouted and tried to pull the other along.

“You go first. I’ll meet up with you guys after I get some coffee first.” Jongdae replied as he pulled himself out of Sehun’s grasp and walked into the coffee corner.

The barista was wiping the counter with a cloth when he noticed a customer had arrived.

“Hello! May I help you?” Minseok asked habitually before he looked up and saw Jongdae. His eyes widened before his face instantly transformed into a frown. That annoying brat!

“You again!?” He said firmly and held in the urge to say much more in regard to the café’s rule of respecting its customers.

Jongdae took a seat at the table in front of Minseok and smirked.

“Oh, don’t look so excited to see me! I said before that we’d meet again soon. Anyway, I have question for you.” Jongdae replied coolly while he rested his hands on his chin with his eyes completely focused on Minseok.

Minseok went back to furiously cleaning the counter of an invisible stain to avoid Jongdae’s gaze. “Dear lovely customer, you don’t have right to ask me personal questions like you did during your previous visit here.” Minseok spoke through gritted teeth, as his chubby cheeks flushed crimson and proceeded to glare at the invisible stain as if he could scare it away. “Furthermore, I don’t have the responsibility to answer your questions, dear customer.” He finished sweetly with a sickening smile across his face as he suddenly stopped cleaning to glare at younger.

Jongdae grinned cheekily. “Alright, fine. Your café, your terms. However, it is also not right to lie to customers and… I think you lied about being uninterested in highschoolers.” Jongdae baited.

Minseok’s eyebrows furrowed cutely (to Jongdae) as he flushed a deeper shade of pink before he exclaimed, “I am!”

Jongdae shook his head and leaned back in his chair. He gave Minseok a knowing look, secretly grinning inside at managing to get the other so flustered. “I witnessed you getting a kiss from a boy that well… I’m not sure how to put this since you might not have known, but looked like a middleschooler.”

Minseok gaped and thought briefly about what Jongdae said.

He laughed genuinely when he realized what Jongdae mean.

“Do you mean the beanie boy? For your information, he’s already in second grade of high school. And yeah, he looks kinda young for his age. Unlike someone I know who’s in high school and looks like he’s in his forties!” Minseok snorted as he scanned Jongdae up and down.

Jongdae stared back at Minseok in amazement of the older’s brazen manner.

“Me?” Jongdae pointed as himself in disbelief. “Forties?! Woah….Daebak.”

Minseok sighed and massaged the bridge of his nose. He’s had enough of this useless conversation. “If that’s all, you should go.” Minseok signaled towards the door.

Jongdae chuckled whole-heartedly, despite being a little hurt at their conversation. “Alright, you won. Actually, I also wanted to apologize about my attitude some days ago.” Jongdae said regretfully. “Well…I guess I’m a bit of retard. I’m a fool… Sorry.”

“A bit? Just a bit?” Minseok frowned at the other’s unexpectedly apology.

“Okay okay!” Jongdae gave up, still managing to keep his cheeky grin on his face. “I’m a total loser and wasn’t really thinking when I asked you personal questions when we had just met. I’m really sorry.” Jongdae said as sincerely as he could. He figured he didn’t want to be on the bad side of this guy, and at the rate he was going at, it was going to get worse.

Minseok kept glaring at Jongdae for a while. He knew it was mean, but for some reason he couldn’t bring himself to forgive the other… he just didn’t want to.

“Oh c’mon…,” Jongdae laughed, resting his hands on the table. “I’m sorry, okay? Well, now that’s out of the way… can I get an ice vanilla latte? I’m thirsty.” he said, still smiling.

“Okay then.” Minseok answered, softening his gaze and started to make Jongdae’s order.

“My name is Kim Jongdae by the way.” Jongdae said as he rested his hands on his chin once again.

Minseok rolled his eyes as a response and continued making the latte.

“Well you told me your name before, so I thought it was only fair if you know my name too.” Jongdae reasoned, remembering back to their previous meeting.

Minseok didn’t even look up from his work. Even if I hadn’t told you, you can still read my name tag! Pabo-ya! He thought by himself, annoyed.

“Here’s your ice vanilla latte! You can pay to the cashier directly.” Minseok said soulessly.

Jongdae smiled. “Thank you! You’re so kind.” He drawled sarcastically.

“Anytime! Well, unless I don’t feel like making drinks for you.” Minseok shot back, imitating Jongdae’s tone.

Jongdae raised an eyebrow. “Is that a threat?”

“Well… kind of if you can think! Oops…. I forgot. Do you even have any brain to think?” Minseok asked nonchalantly.

“So rude.” Jongdae murmured. “No problem. I like style, for your information.” He added jokingly.

Minseok blushed automatically when he heard Jongdae’s words.

“Why you blushed? You didn’t have any dirty thought right?” Jongdae smirked cheekily. “Well, hope you have a good day! See you around.” He smiled.

He grabbed the iced vanilla latte, and winked at frozen Minseok. He can’t wait for another meeting with the cute barista.

***

“Hello, I’m Luhan! The owner of Karma Café.” Luhan introduced himself and flashed a gentle smile towards Chanyeol and Sehun before leading them to an empty table that already had menus set up for it.

“You’re the owner?” Chanyeol asked in disbelief after he sat down, remembering that this guy was the cashier that had served them in their last visit.

“But you were working as the cashier last time… no?” Sehun raised an eyebrow.

“I like money!” Luhan beamed happily.

Chanyeol and Sehun looked at each other and both gave him a judging look. Luhan laughed and hurriedly tried to amend the unsuccessful joke.

“No guys, I’m just joking! I like to help my staff and interact with the customers, so I work as the cashier as well.”

“So, you’re the one that reads the customers pasts?” Chanyeol asked, reminiscing the name at the bottom of the weird contract they had to sign before.

“Yup. That’s me. I came to greet you guys today because I wanted to let you know that I misread your result last time. I’m sorry Chanyeol-ssi.” Luhan bowed his head in apology.

“Really? So, what’s actually my result?” Chanyeol asked in burning curiosity, dismissing the fact that Luhan somehow knew they were coming today and instead chalking it up to his psychic skills.

Luhan cleared his throat. “Park Chanyeol. Born on November the 27th. You were a knight and here’s your result. Baekhyun-ah!” Luhan called.

Baekhyun appeared from behind the kitchen doors, and brought with him a bowl of delicious-smelling ox bone soup with a side of rice and kimchi.

“Here’s what you actually deserve. I’m so sorry for my mistake before. As a sign of my apologies, please order anything you want today. It’s all free! Not just for you, but for your other friends as well.” Luhan smiled and bowed, followed by Baekhyun who repeated the action.

Jongdae, who had only just arrived at the table, gaped when he heard what Luhan said. “Are you serious?”

Luhan nodded happily. “Please enjoy. Happy eating!” Luhan smiled once again and excused himself before he and Baekhyun left.

“Wait.” Sehun suddenly blurted softly.

“Do you need anything else?” Baekhyun asked before Luhan could respond.

“I’m sorry but I just want to know…. why couldn’t you read my past?” Sehun asked hesitantly, afraid that he would offend the café’s owner.

“Baekhyun-ah you can go first.” Luhan signaled and Baekhyun nodded obediently before leaving.

“Well…Oh Sehun-ssi. I’m sorry but I can’t answer your question right now,” Luhan flashed an apologetic smile. How am I supposed to answer his question? ‘Hi Oh Sehun, yeah apparently our lives are interrelated with each other, and because my family can’t read their own past so I can’t read you.’ Then I’ll be kicked in mental hospital! Luhan sighed internally.

“Did I do something bad in my past?” Sehun asked worriedly.

Luhan let out an angelic laugh (to Sehun anyway). Omo this boy is totally innocent! Luhan chuckled in his head.

“No, of course not. Why would you think that? Have you ever done something bad?” Luhan joked, though sneakily trying to find out more about Sehun.

Sehun shook his head. “Nooo!” He whined. “I was just worried.” He avoided Luhan’s eyes and pouted cutely at the table.

“Actually, he’s really bad.” Jongdae piped in cheerfully.

“Yeah! He likes to curse even though he’s the magnae of the group!” Chanyeol followed Jongdae’s teasing remark.

“He ever burnt Jongin’s underwear!” Jongdae tattled, eager to tease the magnae as much as he could.

“Yah! It’s Jongin who,” Sehun tried to defend himself, before Chanyeol cut in with another ‘apparently bad thing he did’ though he doesn’t even remember anything of the sort happening! After a while, he gave up and let the two destroy his reputation in front of the perfect café owner while he buried his hands into his face, totally embarrassed.

“God, please! When did I ever do that?!” He exploded indignantly when Jongdae said he even pecked Kyungsoo on the lips when he drunk.

“That was Jongin, pabo-ya!” Chanyeol knocked Jongdae’s head with his fist.

“Oh! Sorry!” He grinned cheekily and Sehun made a mental note to kill Jongdae as soon as he deemed it an appropriate time.

“Woah! That’s so…. unexpected?” Luhan grinned, holding in the urge to laugh. Sehun’s face flushed a dark crimson colour, while staying silent, too embarrassed to say anything.

“Anyway Sehun-ssi, the important thing is that you didn’t do anything bad in your past. You are perfectly fine. That’s all I can say for now. So, if you would please excuse me.” Luhan bowed and finally left their table.

Sehun sighed in confusion while he tried to interpret Luhan’s words that revolved inside his head.

***

 

Kris took off his new Kenzo’s green and navy plaid print sweater and folded it neatly before carefully placing it on the end of the bar table. He looked over the alcohol stock and found some of the brandy bottles were already emptied.

“I should tell Luhan to order some more brandy.” Kris said to himself as he left the bar to Luhan’s office.

***

“Tao-ah, can you help me?” Yixing called to the younger.

“Yes Hyung. What do you need?” Tao popped in at the kitchen door.

“Can you go to the bar and bring some red wine? Tell Kris that we’re out of stock in the kitchen.” Yixing ordered.

Tao almost rejected immediately, remembering back to the tissue incident that happened last time.

“Don’t be scared Tao-ah. Just tell him I need it. One glass will be enough.” Yixing tried to persuade Tao. He would do it himself, but he needed to take care of the dishes cooking on the stove.

Tao nodded obediently after a while and dragged his body with heavy reluctant steps to the bar. Luckily, Kris isn’t there. Tao sped up his movement and quickly took the red wine bottle from the nearest cabinet. He opened it carefully and placed the wine bottle beside a folded sweater. Feeling nervous that Kris could walk in at any time now, Tao turned his body quickly to take a glass from the cabinet behind him. After easily retrieving a glass, he turned back and elbowed the wine bottle, falling on the perfectly folded sweater. As if in slow motion, Tao watched in absolute horror as the red liquid flowed from the bottle and created a large red stain on the expensive-looking material.

Tao felt like he froze for an eternity (which was actually a few long minutes) before he picked up the fallen wine bottle, in a mixed state of denial and terror.

“I’m so dead. I’m so dead. I’m so dead.” Tao mumbled to himself in utter panic as he tried to wash off the red stain in the sink behind the bar. He wet the sweater with water and tried to rub out the stain with shaking hands. He stiffened when he felt a piercing glare stabbing his soul over his shoulder.

Kris’s eyes widened when he saw a completely still Tao awkwardly holding his sweater under the running water. His eyebrows furrowed and he clenched his teeth as he took large strides towards the bar.

“YOU!! WHAT… ARE… YOU… DOING... TO... MY… KENZO... SWEATER!?” Kris growled at Tao before he slammed the tap off.

Tao’s face became whiter as he looked up at the giant. “I’m… I’m…,” He squeaked.

“You know how much this cost!? It’s 442 Dollars! In Dollars not Won!!!” Kris shouted in increasing volume.

Tao stepped backwards as Kris kept come closer until his back hit the cabinet behind him. Kris’s face was so close to Tao. Tao can felt his hot breath on his face and shivered at the feeling.

Kris placed his hands on either side of Tao’s head so that the younger was trapped between himself and the cabinet.

“YAH! Why are you so careless?!” Kris yelled fiercely at the youngest waiter, anger boiling inside him.

 “I’m…. I’m sorry Hyung!” Tao cried when he finally found his voice again. “I didn’t do on purpose. It was an accident!” Tao whimpered as he stared at the floor.

“YAH!” Kris yelled again, his anger still not quite subsided.

“I’ll fix it Hyung!” Tao said hurriedly. “I’ll wash it until the stain’s gone! Or get you a new one!” Tao’s voice broke; he was on the verge of breaking down into sobs.

Chumchuneun jageun Kkatallena... Nado moreuge ppajyeo deureoga! Suddenly, a ringtone breaks the tense silence and fills the room. The younger flinched in surprise.

“Take the call, Tao.” Kris said to Tao in his normal tone, taking his hands off the other’s head and feeling slightly embarrassed at their brief close proximity.

“I didn’t… bring my phone Hyung.” Tao said innocently and relaxed a little after the giant had stepped back.

Kris looked up at Tao and realized it was his ringtone. He patted his many pockets for a few seconds before finding the cause of the noise. Caller ID: Boss Luhan.

Kris threw his phone a confused look as he knew that Luhan didn’t have a reason for calling him when they both were in the same building. He looked to the side of the bar and saw Luhan with his phone still to his ear, grinning widely. “Oops! I must’ve dialed the wrong number.” Luhan chuckled and ended the call. “Tao, what are you doing there? It’s time for you to go home.”

“I’m not finished yet!” Kris spoke firmly, but the younger had already run away to the kitchen with Kris’s sweater.

Kris glared at Luhan. “Yah! You did that on purpose.”

Luhan clucked his tongue at the other’s childish behaviour. “C’mon Kris. It’s bad to hurt the magnae. He already said he was sorry and apologized. You should control your emotions. I know you’re a jerk, but please don’t be too atrocious.” He scolded the taller bartender.

Kris rubbed the back of his neck to relax himself.

“Let Tao wash your sweater. There’s no need to acted harshly like that, okay?” Luhan spoke firmly. Kris didn’t respond and instead, stared at the ground.

“Oh Kris, one more thing.” Luhan said, a grin now gracing his lips. “Orange Caramel? Catallena? Seriously?” He laughed and quickly ran back to his office.

Kris ruffled his hair in annoyance. “!” He muttered.

***

 

Tao brought tray with a glass of freshly-made cappuccino and an assortment of biscuits to the bar and placed it in front of Kris.

“Minseok Hyung made you a cappuccino and Yixing Hyung made some biscuits. I’m so sorry about what happened to your sweater Hyung. I’ll take responsibility. I washed it and the stain’s gone… please forgive me...,” Tao said in a sincerely regretful tone.

Kris didn't respond and instead polished the counter.

“I’m going home now. Good night Hyung!” Tao bowed and excused himself.

Kris looked up and saw the tray Tao had left while Yixing and Junmyeon passed the bar.

“Yixing-ah! Thanks for the biscuits!” Kris thanked loudly.

“Biscuits? I didn’t bake any biscuits.” Yixing said with confusion in his voice.

Kris cocked his head in surprise. “A-are you sure?”

“Junmyeon and I just got back from grocery shopping.” Yixing explained, holding up the plastic bags in his hands.

“Maybe it’s Tao's treat for you, Kris. He was baking biscuits just before we left.” Junmyeon chirped in.

“He’s a nice boy, Kris. Why did you act like that to him? He gets so scared, you know?” Yixing shook his head sadly at the other.

Kris suddenly felt crushing guilt burden his body.

“Where’s Minseok anyway?” He said and tried to sound normal, but failed when his voice cracked slightly.

“He already left with Baekhyun. It’s almost closing time. We should start cleaning up now, I guess.” Junmyeon answered and walked towards the kitchen with Yixing following close behind him.

Kris looked across at the counter and focused his gaze on the tray of food. He thought about Tao’s words. Why didn’t Tao told him he made this by himself? Why did he lie…? He must’ve been scared. I shouldn’t have scared him so much. I probably don’t deserve these.

Kris hesitatingly taking a bite of one. It would be rude not to eat just one, right? Kris closed his eyes in delight when the biscuit melted in his mouth and exploded with flavor. He reached for another one almost instantly. Well…they’re not bad.

***

 

Hello! Finally fresh baked chapter 5! ^^

I missed Luhan when I wrote this chapter *sighed* since he’s my ultimate bias in EXO. He’s my love at first sight when I saw him in second teaser with Kai with time machine as the background song :) Ofc, I also missed our Duizhang. But, I’ll always supported them with all my heart ^^

Anyway it’s so common to see Tao as Gucci’s Freak so let’s have Kris as Kenzo’s Freak and Orange Caramel fanboy XD LOL

Anyway who like iKON? Lol I like B.I, Jinhwan and Junhoe too yeayy!

We have Bobby as Minseok’s little brother XD

And yeah I planned to write Kaisoo on next chapter. Kidariseyo~!

Anyway I have exam on next week. Please wish me luck yeorobun ^^

Thank you always for my lovely ByunBaozi03757 as her help for this chapter as well ^^

Last, thank you so much for all of you guys! You are really awesome and I don’t know how to thank all of you but I really love you all so much with all supports that you give to me ^^

Please kindly subs, comments, or upvotes! I’ll really appreciated thanks again! ^^
 

- secretyeoja -