A Flashback

Equations
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: Some of you asked for a flashback, or a birthday request, or Gary's family and Jihyo... so here you go. First birthdays are kind of a big thing! ;)

The family was gathered around the dinner table, looking at the child enjoying her food. They reminisce about the previous years, when she was a year old…

When you have a friend like Yoo Jaesuk, you don’t need to think twice about who would be the MC for your child’s birthday celebration. And Jaesuk didn’t think twice about it. They were preparing for it and were almost ready. The food was stacked in the center, everything that was needed set up. The photo corner showed pictures of Keia from a photoshoot taken a week earlier. One showed Keia in a pink hanbok. She was laughing at something that was behind the camera. Another showed Keia wearing a dress trying on Jihyo’s heels. Another showed Keia and Gary, Gary was holding her up and they were laughing at each other. Another showed Keia sleeping on Jihyo’s chest as Jihyo looked at her lovingly. Another one showed Keia dressed in black pants, an oversized white shirt with a black leather jacket. Her head was covered with a snapback and her mong face looked chic in it.

Jihyo came in the party hall dressed in a white dress that goes down to her mid-thigh. Gary was still in the dressing room with Keia, entertaining her so that she won’t be too bored. She went wobbling towards her dad, her walk still duck-like.

“Ppa.” She said as she reached him. She rested her head on her dad’s lap as he sat on the sofa. Gary looked at her and smiled.

“Muo hae?” He asked her, laughing. She stretched her hands up, reaching for him and he lifted her up. She stood up on his lap. “Are you showing off now that you can stand up?” Keia giggled at Gary’s comments. “Should we go outside? Should we see if everything’s ready?” He asked her. She shook her head like she understood. “Should we go find eomma?” He asked again and she nodded, giggling as she fell onto him.

“Mmma!” She repeated after her dad. She giggled and wrapped her arms around her dad. He held onto her and stood up.

“Oppa, jinjja gomabseumnida.” Jihyo said to Jaesuk, looking at him with grateful eyes. Jaesuk hugged her and smiled.

“Aniya, Jihyo-ya…” He said, humble as usual. “It’s nothing. I’m glad that you asked me out of all people.” He told her. Jihyo looked at him and laughed.

“Eish, oppa.” She said, laughing. Jihyo’s mom and Gary’s mom were busy getting the food ready. Jaesuk was suddenly distracted and Jihyo saw where he was looking at. Gary carried Keia in. Gary wore black pants with a short-sleeved white shirt. Keia was wearing a white knee-length dress with a pink bow in the middle.

“Time flies so fast.” Jaesuk said, looking at Keia and then Jihyo. “It’s already her birthday.” He said.

“Eo, oppa.” She nodded. She smiled at Keia as Gary approached them. Keia giggled at the sight of her mom. “Oppa, why is her dress disheveled like that?” Jihyo laughed at the way Gary was carrying Keia. Keia’s short hair was tied on top with a pink scrunchy.

“Keia!” Jihyo’s sister came from Keia’s back, surprising her. Keia was surprised and her face looked blank as she turned around. Gary, Jihyo, and Jaesuk laughed at her surprised face. She sobbed in surprise. “Aigo, aigo… Mianhae, mianhae.” Jihyo’s sister repeated, feeling bad that she surprised her niece. Gary laughed.

“Kwenchanha…” Gary said, rubbing her back. “Ah, you’re surprised?” He asked her, holding back his laugh. She calmed down almost immediately. He handed Keia over Jihyo as he looked for his suit.

“Eonni…” Jihyo’s sister called her, looking calmly at her. Jihyo looked at her and knew exactly what was going on. She laughed at her sister’s pleading look.

“Why do you look so pitiful like that?” Jihyo said, laughing. She handed Keia over to her sister. The guests started pouring in, putting in their guesses for Keia’s doljabi. Jihyo left Keia with her sister and went with Gary to great the guests. Kwangsoo came and brought Keia a big bag full of gifts.

“Hyung, noona… Where do I put this?” He asked the two.

“Eish… You didn’t have to.” Gary told him, patting his back. Kwangsoo gave him a smile.

“Aniya, I want to.” He said. Jihyo thanked him for it, and for coming. “Where is she?” He asked her when Keia isn’t around.

“She’s with my sister.” She said and ushered him in. Everyone was then gathered, sitting on their own tables. Keia clung onto Gary as Jihyo kept getting pulled aside by people. The food came out and everyone was eating. They weren’t very strict about the celebration. They didn’t require everyone to be too dressed up or serious because they also wanted Keia to have fun on her first birthday, while doing it as it’s usually done. They also let people eat while everything else is going on because there are a lot of kids who will starve if its done after.

“Once again, I welcome all of you to Keia’s first birthday celebration, we hope that you enjoyed the meal. Now let’s let her parents say a couple of words.” Jaesuk announced. Gary carried Keia and they went to the front.

“We would like to thank all of you for coming, making time despite your busy schedules. We thank you for all the love that’s been poured for our daughter this past year, and we hope that you will continue loving her.” They said, thanking them again after. A video played of Keia’s first year. From when she was born until a couple days before. Keia looked at herself and giggled, pointing at the screen. Showing her parents that it was her on the big screen. There were also videos of the three of them, photos that were precious. Gary, Jihyo, and Keia left to change while everyone was still immersed in the video. Jaesuk entertained the guests while they changed.

“Now all of you must be waiting for this time. What will Keia choose out of the options we have here?” Jaesuk asked the audience. The family of three made their way to the front again, already changed into their hanboks. Keia wore a light purple hanbok with pastel stripes on the arms. “Jja. Let’s see what she will pick!” Jaesuk said as a cue. Jihyo set Keia down on the table, to see what she will pick. “Will she follow in her dad’s footsteps and pick the microphone? Will she follow in her mom’s footsteps and pick the slate? Will she be like the two of them and generate a lot of money? Maybe gold, like her mom.” He asked, earning a round of laughter from everyone. “Or will she choose sports? Or be a scholar and choose books?” Jaesuk added. “What does her parents want?”

“I’m not really picky. Anything but the microphone.” Gary said. “She shouldn’t be like her dad.” He said and looked at her daughter, laughing.

“Anything but the slate.” Jihyo said. The two got a round of laughter for not wanting their daughter to take after them.

“Lo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter