Insadong

Equations
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: After a while, enjoy... Someone requested one with the whole family going to a market. This isn't technically one, but I hope it's fine. I am jetlagged and I don't know what I am writing (even now)

The last time Keia went to visit a market, Gary was out working and couldn’t be there. This time around, since they all had their day off, Gary and Jihyo decided to take her out to a marketplace-shopping district. It’s not quite the same, but it has the same feel. They got off and walked inside in their casual outfit. Spring arrived and it was warm enough to wear their casual outfit again. Once Keia was set down, she headed towards the market, attracted by the unfamiliar place. Jihyo rushed to take her bag while Gary kept an eye on her.

“Keia, wait for us.” He told his excited daughter. The ladies in the shops had started to offer her a lot of things. Kids are brilliant tools to get parents to buy things at the small shops. Keia was particularly attracted to a little, pretty coin pouch. It was the kind of pouch you would get during Seollal. It was light pink and blue stripes, a flower-like pattern was sewn in front of it. The lady saw that she was attracted to it and offered her to take it, of course, thinking that she’d ask the parents to pay after. Luckily, Keia wasn’t the type to just receive things from strangers. She smiled at the lady and backed away shyly, running back towards her parents.

“Appa!” She called from afar, getting Gary’s attention. Her tiny legs wrapped in a grey legging and tan sneakers. Her white shirt pressed against her as the wind blew against it. Her short ponytail flying around. She reached her parents’ spot and clung onto Gary’s hands. Jihyo chuckled, looking away, knowing that she must’ve wanted something. Gary too, knew this, but he also knew that he would be hesitant to say no. Keia dragged him. He followed her tug, leaving Jihyo behind as she took her time.

“What? What is it that you want?” He asked her, trying to hold back his laugh. She giggled, looking at him innocently.

“Appa, igeo sajuseyo.” She said nicely. He looked at her, seriously eyeing the pouch. The lady came out, paying no attention to Gary, but helping Keia in choosing what she wants. She offered Keia one design after another. Knowing that Gary was there, Keia relaxed a little and browsed through it with the seller. Keia finally spotted the one she had been looking for from the start. She took it out and waved it at Gary. “Igeo, appa.” She said. Jihyo laughed looking at her beg from afar. She walked towards them, hovering over Keia. “Eomma, igeo sajuseyo.” She said, repeating to her mom.

“You look like a tourist, begging appa for that.” Jihyo said, laughing.

“I’ll buy you that, but you have to get eomma to fill that for appa, ok?” He said to Keia, receiving a light punch from Jihyo. He laughed at her and she stuck out her tongue at him. That was when the seller started paying attention to Gary and Jihyo. She then figured out that Keia was their child. She talked to them, smiling and all, but since there wasn’t much she could offer, she didn’t really offer anything. Keia got what she wanted and they continued their walk.

The street wasn’t the biggest one for walking, but it was nice. Some of the traditions had been commercialized for tourists to enjoy, but it was still intriguing to see how foreigners see their home country. Most of the little shops were the same. They all had pouches, bookmarks, shirts, and potteries. They stumbled upon an area of shops filled with wooden masks. They scare Keia quite a bit. She walked behind her parents, clutching onto their parents’ hands. She used their hands to cover her eyes. Her parents looked at her.

“Wae?” Jihyo asked her when she started to slow down. She let go of her parents’ hands and asked to be carried. “Let’s walk, it’s a nice day to walk around.” Jihyo told her. She failed her attempt with her mom, so she moved on and tried asking her dad.

“Wae? Wae?” He asked looking at her. “Look at that. What’s that?” He told her, pointing the shops ahead. There were several food stalls. Keia gave up. She wasn’t that scared or tired anyway. She just thought they would carry her. Maybe not yet, she’ll try again later. She ignored the mask as best as she can and focused on the food stalls ahead. Th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter