Chapter 10

Book II: The Forbidden Love
 
"Okay Jeon Jungkook. It's just the first day. You can get through this. Let's just practice and train like usual. Fighting!" I said to myself as I put on my last piece of clothing, ready to go to work. "Jungkook! You forgot your beanie!" Jin hyung shouted from the car. I took out the beanie from my pocket and wore it on top of my head. I ran up to the car and plugged in my headphones as we waited for the others.
 
Practice went on as usual. We're currently preparing for our red bullet concert. It feels just like yesterday we were preparing for our debut now here we are, making new choreos and altered harmonies of our songs. It all seems to be happening so fast. Either way, I'm happy things turned out this way. I'm happy with my career, my environment, my love life... Which got me thinking of lyrics to a new song. I feel so mushy today. I wonder why.
 
"Jeon Jungkook. Just know, you looked stupid." Yoongi hyung said when I smiled at him as he opened the door to our piano room and closed it again. He sat in front of the keyboard and started playing some tunes.
 
"Hyung." I called his attention. He had his eyes closed as he felt the tunes inside his head flowing to his hands and fingers. "What?" He asked still playing the piano. "Help me make a song." I said. He opened one eye and peeked at me. "Do you have any ideas?" He asked. "A love song. About honest true love. " I answered his question. He looked at me with a blank face. He started taking out his notebook and a pencil and pressed a few keys still looking at me. "You are so messed up." He sighed. Writing on his notebook, he tried playing a few more tunes. "Hyung, are you doing it now?" I asked him. He looked at me once again with a blank and un-amused face. "When do you expect us to start then?" He asked. I laughed and asked once again. "Now? really?" He nodded making me look at him with a shocked look. "Ok then." I said, writing on the notebook as well. My phone suddenly rang just as I placed it  inside my bag. I checked the caller and in a jiff, I had it by my ear.
 
"Jeon Jungkook! Did I really have to remind you about the cake for tomorrow afternoon for dad's birthday?" a woman's voice rang loudly through my phone. I laughed out loud and sheepishly scratched my eyebrow. "Oh right! Thanks for that noona. It almost slipped my mind." "Almost" Yoongi hyung laughed making me look at him to tell him to  keep it to himself. "Anyway, I went to the baker just now and reserved one under your name. Go pick it up alright?" Haerin noona said in a joking authoritative manner. "Yes, that I will do noona. See you tomorrow!" I said rather shy that Yoongi hyung is sitting right beside  me, starting to play with some tunes on the piano.
 
~*~
 
"Sure little brother, good luck with the song you're making." I said. "Thanks- Hey." He said over the phone. "Bye now." I said before hanging up, not even waiting for whatever he was about to say or ask. I slowed down the car as the lights turned red. I let out a tired sigh and stretched my neck a few times. So much work this week. "Aigoo." I sighed when I heard my phone beep. A certain ringtone only ringing for work. I checked the lights once again before quickly unlocking my phone and checking the text my colleague sent me.
 
Lim Soori
 
The boss is looking for you. Where are you?
 
I sighed once again and clicked the call button. I put it on speaker and connected it to my car's system.
 
"It's lunch hour, what's the matter?" I asked as soon as she picked up. "Chanyeol is here." her voice rang through the car's sound system. My eyes widened in shock. "What?! Why is he there? He didn't call!" I said, checking the lights again and speeding off as soon as it turned green.
 
"He just showed up." Soori said. "I'll be quick then. I'm almost there. Tell him to stay in my office. " I said roaring the engine to the office. "Why would he suddenly come to my workplace?" I sighed. It's not that I don't like him visiting, but it's my workplace.
 
When I entered the parking lot, I quickly parked and got in the building, running to catch the closing elevator. I quickly put my hand through making it open. "Hold the door please!" I said as the doors opened. The person inside looked up in shock as I did as well. "Himchan." I whispered. He paused for a moment and suddenly snapped out of his trance when the door was suddenly closing again. He held the button as I got inside silently and pressed on the button of my office's floor.
 
"You work here?" He asked. I glanced at him and saw that he was looking up. "Yeah. Apparently. Are you ok now?" I asked, thinking of that time he was in the hospital. "That was ages ago. But yeah. I am." He chuckled. I raised a brow in curiosity. Is there something funny? I looked up at the floor monitor as well and fixed my hair that completely flew while I was running.
 
"You're on this floor too?" he asked. I nodded. The doors opened and he stretched out his hand letting me out first. I awkwardly bowed my head to him and went in rushing past the hall and to my office. I peeked through my glass door and got in with a not so amused face. "Hey. You're back early." He said, flashing me that huge smile of his. I sighed out loud and went to hug him. He wrapped his arms around me tightly and kissed the top of my head. "Park Chanyeol, you're driving me nuts." I muffled against his chest. "Thank heavens then. I thought it was only me." He chuckled, squeezing my shoulders as I hugged his waist as well. I smiled softly and let go making him sit down on my sofa. I sat beside him and pointed at the paper bag on my table.
 
"What's that?" I asked. "Lunch?" he asked back. "Good. I'm starving." I said slouching down on the sofa as he stood up and took the bag and placed it on the center table. He placed a tray of sushi and different kind of sandwiches in front of me as well as two drinks of my favorite vanilla frappe and his usual double-shot Americano.
 
"Eat up." He said, giving me disposable chopsticks and a napkin. I smiled with glee and started with the sushi. It was divine. "I didn't even bother going to the kitchen this morning cause I was running late. Gosh, I was starving the whole day. " I complained. He laughed at me and wiped my mouth. "Eat slowly. You'll choke at this rate." He said. He unwrapped one sandwich and gave it to me. Suddenly there was a knock at the door.
 
"Team leader, the CEO wants to see you after lunch hour. " Soori said from the door. I nodded and waved her out. "I understand. Thanks. " I waved goodbye while Chanyeol bowed his head in respect. A text came in and I checked momentarily.
 
Lee Soori
 
Yah. Don't stuff your face with food. You look like a chipmunk.
 
Right, she's also one of my best friends. I slowed on chomping down on my food and ate like a lady.
 
"No work today?" I asked Chanyeol, while he not so obviously watched me eat. "I skipped. So much stuff happening back at the office, I didn't want to deal with people." his last statement apparently caught my attention.
 
"Something wrong?" I asked. "Just some stuff with the employees. You can't be nice to everyone, sadly." I paused and nodded, agreeing to his defense. "And what does your dad say in this? Especially now you're expanding." I said casually. His eyes widened and he looked at me with a gaping mouth. "I'm also your dad's consultant."  I said. "I didn't you were my dad's left hand." He said. "Well, now you do." I smiled once again. He stood up and bowed 90 degrees at me. I closed my eyes and patted his shoulder. "Let's work hard together, Mr. Park's right hand." I said, holding my drink in one hand. While he raised his head with an amused look."Sure, Dad's left hand." He laughed. I laughed ad well and pulled him back to his seat.
 
My phone beeped once again in the middle of our conversation and I saw that it was an alarm. "Well, there goes the alarm. I have to go back to work." I said standing up as well as Chanyeol. "Call me when you're done. I'll pick you up." I shook my head. "No need. I brought my car remember?" I'll call when I get off." I said walking him to the elevator. "Okay then. I'll see you tomorrow." He said as he held my hand and kissed the back of it. I smiled and nodded, waving at him as he got in and the doors closed. As I turned around, Himchan appeared from a corner wall, walking towards me.
 
"You're leaving?" I asked. "Why? You'll miss me?" he asked jokingly, making me flustered. "Excuse you, I was just asking. Be safe on your way then." I bowed and walked ahead. "Haerin?" He called out. I turned and saw him take step closer. "You're happy with Chanyeol, right?" He asked. I looked at him in the eye and searched for something. I wasn't sure what I was looking for but I hoped for something. "Why do you ask?" I asked back. He shook his head saying it was nothing. "Nothing. Forget I asked. I'll see you around." He said walking off and inside the elevator. I turned around as well and thought about his question. I am happy.....right?
 
~*~
 
As I entered my boss' office, he was laughing on the phone. "Ok then Chairman Lee, I'll make sure I send my most trusted to your girls. Let's have dinner sometime yes? OK then. Take care." He said as the call ended and he finally noticed my presence. "Oh. Haerin-ah, take a seat." I bowed in respect and went to settle on the leather seat.
 
"Did you have lunch already ?" He asked first. "Yes Sir. You?" "Oh yes I did. Of course." He laughed that old man's laugh of his making me smile. "I'll cut to the chase. You know that TS Entertainment is talking about the new girl group they want to debut, correct?" I nodded and said yes. "Well, the boss there is a close friend of mine. I'm not exactly firing you here, but I would really appreciate it if you think about this deal." He pushed forward a black folder with a contract in it. "My contract doesn't end until the end of next month sir." I said, looking at the contracts title 'Transfer of employment'
 
"Yes I know. Think and look over it until the time of your renewal. When you've made your decision, give me a call and I'll settle a meeting." I then excused myself and went to my office, stopping by Soori's desk. "Soori, what's my schedule?" I asked still in a daze. "You have an interview at 2 and a meeting with Pledis trainees at 4." "This won't do....Anyway, thanks." She nodded once and I went inside my office, leaving the leather folder on my desk as I stared at it.
 
~*~
 
"I'll just brief it." I said to myself as I opened it and read the contract. Okay, so it says that my sponsorship will be transferred to TS Entertainment as their new girl group's Manager for 6 months. And afterwards, If I would comply, I will be promoted as..."President of HIS Entertainment." I whispered. I read it not twice, not thrice but a couple of times. "President?! For real?!" I shouted in joy. "Oh my gosh! But it's TS." I said after much realization.
 
President? But that's a huge responsibility. What if I'm not good enough? Is it April Fool's? Ah. No. It's July. Is he dying? Holy cow. He doesn't look like it though. Is he leaving? Aye. Why would he though... Maybe he's retiring... I ruffled my hair and got out of my deep ocean of thoughts. I looked at the time and saw that it was almost 2. I badly need a break. I sighed and got back to my desk to get my things and leave for the interview.
 
The ride was quite disturbing. I could barely get my mind straight on the way. The thoughts of the president offer and seeing Himchan again both gave me butterflies and fear. Himchan...I know it's wrong, but I can't help what I feel. Chanyeol is a sweet and nice guy. I can't believe how I'm betraying him like this. I quickly pulled out my phone and texted Sora.
 
To: Park Sora
 
Wanna meet up after work? I really need a drink right now. Text me if you can.
 
Afterwards, I took a nap on the way and when we arrived we immediately had our meeting and such.
 
After work, we headed back to the office and the driver took his leave while I hang around the office finishing a few documents. Until my best friend showed up.
 
~*~
 
"I thought we were drinking tonight?" Sora said from my door. I stood up and smiled at her in glee. I gave her a big tight hug. "It's been ages. Oh my God." I hugged her more. "I knocked three times. And we saw each other last week. You sound like you had a pretty long day." She said patting my back. "Long is right. I've been offered to be president of this company." i said still resting my head on her shoulder. In a second, I was at arms distance while she had those huge shocked eyes and a gaping mouth.
 
"For real?! that's awesome! Why are you not smiling though?" She asked. I sighed out loud and let her sit on the couch. "Because, there's a slight catch." I said. She urged me to continue and I did. "I'll be working at TS. It's only for 6 months and I'll be working as their girl group's manager." "Okay, Stop right there. I take back what I said. Don't become president . We're talking about seeing Himchan and awful Yongguk for 6 months. God no. You are not going through that again." She said. Awful Yongguk? "Since when did you have that grudge for Yongguk?" I asked. She paused for a while and suddenly laughed. "Hey, let's go drink!" She said standing me up as I grabbed my bag in the process. I shrugged the matter away and specially noted to ask her later. When she's a little drunk.
 
"Auntie! 2 bottles of Soju and Tteokkbokki please." "Coming right up." We settled on a small drinking tent nearby the office. I was pretty hungry anyway. "So, besides the president offer, how are you and Chanyeol?
 
Oh you know...We're...okay. I guess." I said like it was the most usual thing to say. "You two having problems?" She asked after getting a sip of her soju. "Not for him anyway. Ever since that night I visited Himchan at the Hospital, I never stopped thinking about him. Chanyeol, I mean." I sighed.
 
"Isn't that a good thing?." She said as she chewed on the tteokkbokki. "No. I keep feeling guilty when I see him." I answered with sadness. "Why's that?" She said after glancing at me. "Himchan." I said drinking a shot then another. "Look, if it bothers you so much, why not just break up with him? I'm sure he'll understand. He's a really nice and sweet guy you know. I can't see how you can't forget Himchan and just love Chanyeol." She said. Well, that was a lot of words. I feel like she's getting to her limit. 
 
"It's not as easy as you think ok. He's my childhood friend. Jungkook loves him, my parents love him. Why can't I just love him too?" I said after much thought. She shrugged her shoulders and whoops. Starting to feel dizzy there. "Cause you're stupid in love with the wrong man."  She raised her glass and drank again. I sighed out loud and raised my glass too. 
 
"So, what's with the grudge with Yongguk?" I asked shifting to another topic. "He broke my heart, end of story." She sulked. I spat out my drink and coughed. "You we're together?!" I asked. "Well yeah, for like 6 months." She grunted and drank another shot. I took the bottle from her and she pushed me sloppily. "When?! Why did I not know about this?!" I asked her in total shock. "We met during fall and it all happened fast. I didn't tell you because of Himchan. It was a secret. And well he just loves his job more than me so we broke up. Either way it was just a passing fling. Plus, I can't deal with all those fans. Please, I'm not you." her last statement caught me by shock and curiosity as to why she would refer to me as someone strong enough to handle thousands of fan girls. I felt deceived and lied to but I forgave her right away because she's like a sister to me and I to her. We drank a few more rounds before saying goodbye and going our own way home. 
 
~*~
 
I checked the time on my wall clock that says 2:00 am. Wow, we really did hit a lot of drinks tonight. I dropped my bag on the couch as with my coat and walked to my piano. I felt the keys and wondered when was the last time I played. I remember it was Christmas when mom, dad and Jungkook came to celebrate. While waiting for the clock to strike twelve midnight, I played a few songs. It was simple but happy and warm. I sat in front and played a familiar song. It was a lullaby from my childhood. Somehow this is the only memory I have before I turned 7. I remember clearly waking up in a hospital with both mom and dad standing on my right side while the nurse attended to my IV tube on my left. When I opened my eyes, the nurse quickly left to call the doctor while I questioned who were the people beside me and asked what happened to me. They say I fell from a tree house at a family friend's house. I hit my head hard and I was in a coma for 8 months. No one thought I could wake up but there I was, smiling through a miraculous happening.
 
I closed my eyes and felt the music echo through the walls of my apartment. I played it over and over and the longer it ringed in my head, the more it sank in to me. Suddenly there was  a ringing to my ear and a sharp brief prick in my head. It ached for a split second and I could have sworn I saw something. Flashes of people's faces and a bright white light. It was very brief, but achingly, it felt real. Or maybe I just had too much drinks. I went to my kitchen, took a glass from the cupboard and filled it with water. I drank it all at once and went ahead to my dresser to change and get ready for bed. I was down and deep in slumber as soon as my body hit the mattress.