First encounter

The Lost One

Jin Hye made her way to the canteen with Jaerin and I.M after an overwhelming lesson of Literature. As she walked down the hallway that was filled with chatters, she realised that her shoelaces came off and bended down to tie them.  Satisfied that they were tied strongly together, she stood up quickly to catch up with Hyemi and IM. However, as she stood up, she collided with someone and fell on her .

Startled, she looked up to realise it was Yoo Min, the school’s popular girl. To make matters worse, Yoo Min had a trickle of juice dripping down her shirt. Jin Hye groaned inwardly, knowing that Yoo Min will definitely make a big commotion over this.

“Yah! You pabo! Watch where you’re going! See what you have done! You caused me to get juice all over me! Do you know how expensive my shirt is?!”  Yoo Min screamed at Jin Hye.

Jin Hye took a deep breath to calm herself down. Knowing it was her fault, she started to apologise. 

“I’m sor….” The words never left completely, as she felt a sheer pain on her left cheek from Yoo Min's slap. Jin Hye could only stare in disbelief at Yoo Min. Everyone around had stopped at the commotion and no one dared to speak up for fear of offending Yoo Min. However, Jin Hye could not stand being accused like that.

“Who do you think you are to glare at me like that?” Yoo Min screamed.

“It was my fault, but you shouldn’t have slapped me for it. If you wanted, I could have paid for your shirt.” Collective gasps could be heard throughout the hallway at the defiance of Jin Hye. 

Yoo Min raised her hand to slap JinHye again. But before Jin Hye could react, someone else grabbed Yoo Min's wrist.

“You should really stop this. You’re embarrassing yourself." Mingyu commented softly, whilst Seungcheol was the one holding on her wrist. The rest of them, Wonwoo, Jun, Jeonghan, Joshua and Hoshi followed behind.

Colour rose up of Yoo Min’s cheeks when she realised who had stopped them. Immediately, she gave that sickly smile of hers.

“I’m so sorry, Joshua oppa. It was just this stupid girl who got juice all over me, but it’s really fine, I can just change out of this.” Yoo Min replied delicately, and Jin Hye could only looked at her in disbelief at her instantaneous change.  At that point though, the only thing JinHye was paying attention to was how Seungcheol was still holding on to Yoo Min’s wrist. Seungcheol realise she was staring and quickly release his hand before Yoo Min could get the wrong idea.

“Don’t do this again.” Was Mingyu’s parting words before the whole group walked off. This was the cue for everyone to continue on their activities. Yoo Min gave a glare that was returned by Jin Hye before stalking off.

JinHye’s POV

‘You’re seriously amazing!” Hyemi and I.M exclaimed at the same time when I finally caught up with them. They had seen the whole thing from afar and were in awe of me for standing up for myself.  

“Must have been quite cool to get saved by your favourite guy huh?” IM nudged me playfully. I glared at him, but internally, I was secretly jumping at the fact I sort of got saved by SeungCheol, aside from Mingyu. I made a mental note to thank them when I have the chance without their fangirls around.

Later in the evening

I stood at the front door of the school, watching the rain pouring down and berated myself for not bringing an umbrella today. I had stayed in school to finish my work and my brother had already went home. I was comtemplating running in the rain but someone coughed.  I turned around and realised it was SeungCheol He smiled at me and asked, “Do you want to walk with me, JinHye? I have an umbrella and the school’s about to close.”

“It’s fine! You, uh, can go first! I’ll just wait!” I replied, not sure if I could handle the close proximity we were having. I waited for SeungCheol to leave, but he only said, “You live near me anyway, I see you sometimes walking to school, come on.” He opened up his umbrella and waited for me to get under. Seeing no other choice, I went other the umbrella, careful not to touch him. SeungCheol gently grabbed my hand and held it tightly, “I wouldn’t want you to fall”, he say with a wink before pulling me along lightly into the rain. The warmth from his hand just feels so familiar, somehow like when Sehun holds my hands.

A blush crept up my cheek and I could only follow him in a daze. I really should have paid attention to my surroundings, but how was I supposed to do that when I’m walking home with my crush and he was holding onto my hand tightly? Sehun named me a walking disaster. I attract accidents, even the small ones.  Hence, it really was no surprise when I didn’t pay attention and had stepped off the curb when SeungCheol had released my hands to answer a phone call. I stood rooted in shock as I realised that a car was speeding towards me and he would not see me under the pouring rain. However, someone yanked me backwards and I fell. The rain fell on me as I looked into SeungCheol’s eyes, realising he had save my life. SeungCheol quickly stood up and offered his hand to help me up. I was about to accept his hand when suddenly, a piercing pain blinded me and I clutched onto my head desperately.

“Please don’t ran so fast! a miniature me was running away from someone, laughing gleefully under the sun. Suddenly, I ran right into the path of an oncoming bicycle and stared in horror. I closed my eyes hoping to minimise the impact when someone yanked me backwards.

“Jin Hye… Jin Hye!” I came back to reality when SeungCheol shook me. I looked up into his concerned eyes, unable to comprehend what just happened. I was in a daze, as he helped me up gently and brought me home. At my front door, he finally asked, ”Are you okay? What happened back there?” I could only shrugged my shoulders and shook my head, before thanking him for sending me home and saving me twice. He could only looked at me one more time before giving me a smile and turned to go home.

That scene in my head was so familiar but why can’t I recall anything of it.