Elements

The Lost One

Jinhye's POV

To be really honest, I was not sure why there was a need to rush so much. Everything felt so breathless since I first agreed to Min's proposal. The day I came to the headquarters, the day I have to start training. There's this feeling of apprehension in my heart, as if I would not meet their expectations, as if I am afraid to meet them. Even with Changkyun's presence next to me, I just feel intimidated and out of place. Frankly, whatever powers I am going to discovered is going to scare me. If I could almost damage an entire corrider and land someone in the hospital, it does not seem to be any good. However, Min seemed almost too eager for me to reveal the powers I am supposed to have. Perhaps she just wanted me to learn how to harness them properly for self-defence. Perhaps they are afraid that I would not be able to control them and hurt more people. Perhaps... Stop overthinking this, Oh JinHye! They are here to help me and I am here to learn. I got to stop being a pessimist. I got to stop being so distrustful. 

"Are you prepared?" Changkyun's voice jolted me out of my own self dialogue and I quickly snapped back into focus. I was now standing inside one of the smaller training room and getting ready to start my first practice. I gave what I hope was a confident smile on my face, to assure him I was fine. But Changkyun knew me too well, "It's okay to be nervous. Just do your best. No one is expecting you to be brilliant on your first day, let alone knowing all this just a few weeks back. Just be your usual self and I'm sure whatever your powers are, it will come to you naturally." How glad I am that I am not here alone and theres Changkyun with me. What will I do without him. 

I turned to the sound of footsteps approaching the door and saw the most muscular person I have seen in my life. He had a certain aura surrounding him, like a sort of charisma that was overwelming and assuring at the same time. I felt a slight intimidation. "Hi my name is Shownu and I will be your trainer for the time being as you discover your elements." This man broke into a smile that was contradictory of his masculine, charismatic image. "Hyung! I missed you so much!" Changhyun greeted him with a huge bear hug, almost enveloping the older man. "You must take care of Jinhye alright?" Changhyun further nagged at Shownu who replied cheerfully, "Of course, if Jinhye is your best friend, she is a family to us." With a pang of realisation, I thought about how little I must have known about Changkyun. This life of his was always a secret until that day. This Shownu man that he was hugging tightly knew who I am, yet I had no idea who he was. To think I was his "best friend".

Shownu strode up to me, extending his right hand, " This must be all so unfamiliar to you, but don't worry, we will do my best to help you get used to all of this. I gingerly took his hand and shook it, and could not help but think about how this person must be so close to Changkyun. He must have saw my crestfallen face, because Changkyun suddenly appeared in front of me and took my hands, smiling assuringly, "Please don't think that you are a bad friend or something, it's our protocol to make sure nobody outside finds out about us. I would have told you all about this if I could, but I didn't want to put you into danger then." It's amazing how he always knew what I was thinking even before I could form my thoughts completely. I'm going to do my best, to protect my family and friends and avenge my parents. 

"What are we going to do right now?" I turned towards Shownu and asked.

"Today, we will start with something simple. We are going to find out what elements are suitable for you in order to construct a lesson plan that can bring out your powers faster."  

"Elements? Like the Airbender?" I asked innocently, the elements I know being from watching the Last Airbender. This incited a snort from Changkyun and I glared at him.

Shownu stifled his laughter at the reference and replied, "Not exactly like the Airbender. There are a total of 5 elements in us, and they are Earth, Water, Fire, Air and Lightning. Most people, especially beginners, wield only one dominant element. As you get stronger, you may be able to train yourself to control a second element, ableit less powerful than the one you have an affinity with. Some are also born with the natural ability to control 2 elements, creating a different kind of power. Rarely, there are people who can actually manipulate 3 elements at once. For now, we will do a test to find out what is your dominant element."

"Wait, so most people have only one element in them?" I asked. 

"Actually, all 5 elements flow inside of us, However, only one is active while the others remain dormant. That is how people can train themselves to wield a second element." Shownu further explained.

"The circle you are stepping in now is created by us to help force out your energy and reveal what your dominant element is. You just have to sit down and imagine yourself drawing out your energy from within your body. We will activate an energy field around you, which will turn a certain colour once your ownenergy is mixed inside it. Fire is red, water is blue, earth is green, air is white, and lightning would be yellow."

I took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, trying to calm my racing heart. I was nervous and excited at the same time. Now, I closed my eyes and trying to imagine energy coming out of me. It was not easy, because I had no idea how energy would look like. In the end, I tried to imagine it the way I saw how Changkyun's hands were glowing in red. We have been trying for an hour, but I don't seem to feel anything changing and inwardly sighed. Opening my eyes, I frowned with exasperation "I don't think I can do it."

The words have not left my mouth completely when suddenly there was shift in the stagnant energy circle, a flash of different colours, before settling on a nice shade of blue.

"Well, looks like you could do it after all."