Her life

The Lost One

“Omma…Omma! Please don’t leave me!” She grasped desperately onto her mother’s leg, as if only death could uncurl them. Tears streamed down from her mother’s face as she yanked away her daughter’s hands and gripped gently onto her face.

“I love you, your father and me. One day, you will remember everything. One day, you’ll understand why I have to do this.” A white glow surrounded her mother’s hands, and the girl’s pupils dilated. With her eyes fluttering to a close, the last time she remembered was the gentle smile of a goddess.

12 years later

“Oh JinHye, you better wake up now! If not, I’m coming in with a bucket of water!"

Jin Hye sat up with a jolt, barely awake, and yelled towards the door, ”Oh SeHun, are you courting death?!”

“I’m your brother, pabo”

JinHye’s POV

It’s the start of the new school term, and I’m really not looking forward to it. The thought of waking up early already made me feel exhausted. The good thing is, this is my brother’s last year and I don’t have to see him in school next year. There will no longer be numerous brainless girls coming after me everyday, asking me to pass gifts to him. Don’t get me wrong, I love my brother, but his fangirls are another story. I swear I will tear out their hair one day, but I'm only holding it in because Sehun deserves some attention. Sehun’s handsome, gracious, and soft-spoken, and he's been the best brother to me, even though I was not his biological sister. I was adopted by Sehun’s parents when they found me lying on the streets on a cold winter night unconscious 12 years ago. They took me in and accepted me as part of their family without hesitation. 

I’m truly thankful that they took me in. They gave me a home that did not exist in my memory from the time before they found me. They gave me warmth and love, everything I could have asked for.

“Are you ever going to step out of the house? I’m going to leave if you’re not out in 30 seconds!” Sehun’s voice cut into my thoughts and I realised I had drifted away while putting on my shoes.

“Coming!”

We walked side by side towards school, with my hands grasped tightly in Sehun’s. He would never tell me he loves me, but holding my hands was his way of expressing his affection for me. People thought we were too childish to hold hands when I'm already 17, and girls in the school shot dangers at me even though they knew I was his sister. But I don’t care, holding my brother’s hand gave me a sense of assurance, that he will always be there for me.

We walked up to a group of guys waiting near the front gate. Chanyeol, BaekHyun, Kai, Chen, and Lay. These are my brother’s best friends. All of them treat me like their own sister, and bought me things everytime. I greeted them each with a tight hug, almost being crushed by Chanyeol. I left my brother with them and made my way to my lockers.

“Thought you’re not coming, midget! I miss you so much even though I've only seen you the day before .” A voice travelled across the hallway to me and I turned towards the voice with a glare.

“I’m 160 cm, if you don’t know. And you aren’t that tall either, Changkyun.” I retorted as he walked up to me. Im Changkyun, is my best friend. Sometimes he wants me to call him I.M. He says it's a stage name for his future career as a celebrity. I don't doubt it though.  We insult each other day and night, but we make up easily. He’s been my best friend since ages. Everybody thinks we should be together, but we honestly have no feelings for each other.  Besides, I do not have the energy to deal with his countless fangirls if I really get together with him. Dealing with random girls coming up to me with presents is already bad enough, imagine dealing with girls crying over him. It was an experience I do not want to encounter again.

“Seen your handsome boy yet?”IM smirked, causing a slight tinge of red on my cheeks before I hit him. “How about yours, mister?” I shot back.

Everyone who knows I.M well enough,which really just consists of me, know of his huge crush on Chaewon, the quiet petite girl in my class. As for me, only IM, Sehun, Chanyeol because he forced it out of me, and my other best friend, Hyemi know about my "crush" on Choi Seungcheol. There was just this feeling about him, that he was someone special. Those who know believe that I'm in love with him, but till now, I can't be sure about it. It was difficult to describe my feelings. I'm drawn to him, thats for sure, but love? It was ambiguous.

I can barely contain myself whenever I talked to Seungcheol. Conversations usually don’t go past 10 minutes between us. Firstly, I’m kind of an introvert, and secondly, my chance of talking to him only comes from seeing him in the library or during combined sports class. And lastly, he's always with his friends and I don't want to get killed by their fangirls. Besides, he was like the de-facto leader of his group of friends. I prefer to blend in with everyone else.

Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder and almost jumped, only to realise it was Hyemi. We hugged each other and catch up on our lives as she had went back to Busan during the holidays, while making our way to our new class.

My jaws almost dropped when I entered the classroom and looked around for a seat. There, sitting right at the back, was SeungCheol.

This. Is. Just. Awesome.

I am in the same class with him after 2 years of admiring from afar. He’s surrounded by his group of friends, and many girls were gazing dreamily at them. Every 7 of them, Seungcheol, Jeonghan, Joshua, Wonwoo, Mingyu, Hoshi and Jun, has their fair share of admirers. But I know most of them are in love with Wonwoo and Mingyu. I’m probably the minority who likes the quiet Seungcheol. He probably won’t ever realised my existence but it’s okay. I’m satisfied just being in the same class as him. 

This might just be a good year, I hope?