Chapter 10

Memoirs from the Past

Chapter 10

 

Two showers in one day never hurt anyone, right? As I got to the bathroom, I decided to take a nice bubble bath instead of a second shower. I put my hair up into a messy bun as I stepped into the tub filled with raspberry scented bubbles. Before I could relax, I put my necklace on the rim, in case it burns again. Hoping that Sue doesn’t burst into my room with lunch while I’m in the bathroom, I left a little note for her on the door. Closing my eyes, I just opened them immediately, just in case I were to fall asleep and have a weird dream again. Speaking of which, what kind of dream was that? It was so realistic, only I didn’t…exist. The dream was like I took a trip back in time, but only invisible.

“So far for relaxing.” I sighed sadly.

I groaned as I put my head back from having my plans cancelled. Now all I could focus on was the dream. Where was I in the dream? The room had a table and from what I read from the diary, they used an Odilem. Could that table from the dream be it? But how come it was going a bit crazy in the dream? And where in the world was the room located at? These questions began to spin around in my head, giving me a headache as I heard a clinging noise, as if metal was rubbing against metal. From the corner of my eye, I saw my necklace starting to freak out, as it was shaking on its own, then it hit the carpet. Its movements were quick and frantic.

“What’s wrong with you?” I sounded a bit crazy talking to an imamate object. Well, not so inanimate now, was it? “First you burn, now you’re shaking.” I picked up my necklace, which was twitching in my palm and the more I placed it away from me, the more force it had to not wanting to stay in its place as it continued to, in a sense, push back. I looked behind me as it was just a closet door for the bathroom.

“It’s…going towards the door?” I asked out loud.

“Trinity!” I heard a voice from behind my door.

Quickly grabbing a towel, I got out of the tub and just left my necklace in the bathroom, seeing it twitching on the ground. Drying off my body, I put on my robe and heading towards the door, letting Sue in. Behind her was a cart full of entrees for lunch.

“Ah, good,” She smiled as she brought in my lunch and set it down on the vanity. “You heard my voice. I was afraid if you had earphones in or something and couldn’t hear me.”

I smiled and shook my head. A part of me was a bit nervous talking to Sue considering what happened earlier today.

“Are you ok? You’re quite quiet.” Sue said worringly.

“Yeah,” I nodded, scratching the back of my head.

“Well, I hope that I didn’t interrupt your bathtime,” she said.

“Oh, no, I was just getting out.” I explained, although it was a somewhat lie.

“You missed some soa-” but her words were cut off when a clinking noise came from my bathroom. “Trinity…what is that noise?”

Sue started to go towards the bathroom, but I beat her to it, closing the door, the muffled clinking noise could still be heard behind the door. She gave me a concerned look and tried to reach for the doorknob, but I just kept getting in the way. There is no way that she can know about what is going on with my necklace.

“Trinity, would you please?” Sue said.

“It’s just faulty plumbing.” I said, my hand securely on the doorknob.

Sue put her hands on her hips and shook her head. “Well, if there’s something wrong, I would have to see what’s wrong with it. I am in charge of this building and never have I ever had any problems with the plumbing.”

She moved my hands away and lightly pushed me aside.

“Sue, no!” I tried to tell her, but she already opened up the door and walked in, the clinking noise never ceasing. She looked around the room looking for the source, and when she looked down on the floor, she stopped in her tracks and looked over at me with the biggest concerned look on her face. The necklace made its way towards the back closet and kept hitting the bottom of the door repeatedly.

“What is your necklace doing?” She asked pointing to it.

“That’s…” I sighed and went over to it, picking it up, but it kept moving. “That’s what I didn’t want you to know. It’s been acting weird this morning. First it was burning when I had a weird dream, and now it’s acting like it wants to go somewhere.”

“Wait a minute, Trinity, you’re saying that it burned you?” Sue asked putting up her hands.

“I didn’t want to tell you, but-” I started.

“But why didn’t you want to tell me?!” She asked crossing her arms.

“I didn’t want to worry you.” I answered, the necklace still acting like an excited puppy that just wanted to play in my hands.

“Well since you told me now, yes, I’m worried.” She sighed as she put her hand to her forehead, closing her eyes. “Look, I had-” but she stopped her sentence and cleared . “I have just a few more lunches to deliver to. After that, I will be back. We will have a talk and you will tell me what’s going on with it.”

With that, she left the room and went out the door. Once everything was clear, I tried to take the necklace back with me to the main room, but it didn’t seem that it wanted to go. So leaving the necklace on the floor, having it clink away, I decided to get dressed, again, and head on back to the bathroom to see what was up with my necklace before Sue came back.

“What in the world do you want?” I whispered as I looked at the door and back at the necklace.

I opened up the closet door filled with two empty top shelves and a deserted railing. It was actually quite spacey for how small the door seemed. The necklace stopped moving the second that I opened the door up. Weird. I closed the door again and the pendant was starting to move towards the room again. What was going on? I opened it up and it stopped moving. Peeking my head in the closet, I looked around for something that would’ve set it off, like a piece of magnet. But there was nothing. Well, there was nothing, until I saw on the back wall, a hollow circle shape stood out against the wall. Well in this case, it was inward, creating a little crater. I entered the closet and held up my clock pendant and the shape of the hole was the same size. The closer that I moved it towards the hole the warmer it began to get. Without thinking twice, I inserted the clock inside, and a clicking noise happened as the wall began to tremble.

The necklace shined a bright white and it spread throughout the wall until it made an outline the shape of a door. The clicking stopped, but the shining light continued. Looking around the bathroom, I prayed that Sue wouldn’t come back and see this. Putting my hand towards the outlined door, I pushed it open to find a spiraling staircase leading down. The stone walls smelled of wet grass, and the color of green moss covered most of it. The staircase itself was rusty with the color of a darkened red with brown spots. There seemed to be no light source available as there weren’t any windows; but hanging on the walls were unlit torches.

“A secret passage?” I questioned out loud.

I stepped inside the door and leaned over the railing very carefully. Pitch black covered the bottom as I couldn’t make out the staircase below.

“Hello?!” I screamed as I heard my voice echo between the walls, the noise ringing loudly in my ears. This new passage that I found seemed to beckon me to explore it, as if this was a part that I had to discover. As if this was an important part of my life. Before I could take the first step down, I heard my door opening and closing, with my name coming after. Sue. I hurried out of there, but I left my necklace in its place as I closed the closet door, seeing Sue enter the bathroom looking dumbfounded.

“Ah, Trinity, why were you in there?” She asked.

I shrugged my shoulders and tucked my hands into my pockets. “No reason.”

“Oh, now, Trinity, if you are hiding anything-” but her words were cut short as she furrowed her eyebrows and I followed her gaze as there was light shining out from underneath the door. “Trinity, what is in that closet?”

“N-nothing!” I tried to hide it, but she already beat me to it as she opened it up to see the necklace shining bright and now inside the door, the torches were lit with fire.

“What. Did. You. Do?” She asked turning towards me after she investigated the room.

“I don’t know!” I sighed sitting down at the edge of my bathtub. “My necklace was starting to go bat crazy, as you already know, and I had to know what was going on and then I found this-”

“Wait,” She raised a hand, “you’re saying it was your necklace that did this?”

I nodded as she bit her lip and decided to take me over to the main room. She made me sit on the bed as she turned the chair that was to my vanity around and she sat in it backwards.

“Here’s the deal,” she said all serious. “You are to tell me what happened. Every single detail, even the dream that you had this morning.”

I sighed knowing that I would have to tell her sometime and this was the time that I guess that I had to tell her. My eyes saw the lunch that I ordered sitting on top of my dresser, but I decided to leave it alone. My appetite was slowly going away.

“Ok,” I started. “It all started with the weird dream that I had last night. It was as if I was transported to the past. And…”

I told Sue about my weird dream, but her facial expression kept still. From time to time, I could see a little bit of her eyebrows go up in surprise, especially when I told her about seeing Marikan, but she kept her cool.

“So, you think that the necklace had to do with it?” She sighed after I told her the dream.

“Well, why else would it be burning? And the dream was so realistic!” I told her.

“I’ve never heard of anything like that.” She shook her head.

“My parents gave that necklace to me before I came here.” Sue’s head slowly rose up. “Didn’t know where they got it from because obviously they don’t have any powers-”

Sue began to get up from the chair, but as she lifted a leg, her body fell over and landed on the ground with a thud. Immediately I ran over to her side and helped her up.

“Sue, are you ok?!” I asked looking over her arms and legs for any bruises.

“Y-yeah, just what you said, uh, surprised me. I was also adjusting my seating position.” She grabbed onto my arm as she lifted herself up.

“So, what do you think?” I asked.

“I think that I got to stop being so surprised.” A little laugh came out from , trying to ease the tension as she went back to the chair.

“No,” I said in a serious tone, sitting back down on the bed, “I mean the dream. Do you think that the necklace had something to do with it? As crazy as it seems…”

“Crazy…” Sue whispered. “That’s exactly what this is.”

“I hardly believe it, either.” I said.

“Yet, you believe the powers and everything about this place.” Sue half laughed.

“What a coincidence.” I managed a laugh. “But, in all seriousness, I really think my necklace has to do something with the dream. It had to do something with the little secret passageway…so why not the dream?”

“It’s possible.” She said resting her head on her arms. “So for now, let’s say that it is related to your dream. You said that it was burning?”

I nodded. “Yes, when I woke up, it was burning hot. I’m surprised that it didn’t wake me up in the first place.”

“Then what else is there to say? Something about your necklace is connected to the past.” Sue was trying to hide a smile because I saw the corners of twitch, but I didn’t say anything about it. I didn’t want her to know that I know she’s hiding something.

“Do you think…” I trailed off, but I didn’t say the rest out loud. What ran through my mind is that it might’ve been Clara’s necklace…or something related to Clara. This room was hers in the past, and the necklace gave me that dream and opened up a secret passage in the closet.

“Go.” Sue answered. I looked at her confused at what she meant.

“What?” I asked.

“You know what you want to do,” her head turned back towards the bathroom where that secret passage was. “I can tell that you are anxious to explore it.”

“But-” I started, but Sue put her hand up.

“How else are you going to find your answers?” A small smile formed on her lips as she got up from the chair.

“Sue…are you saying that-” I got up as well.

“Trinity, you want to find more answers to this place, don’t you? Then go. Go be that student that isn’t afraid of P-Goon’s rules.” She said.

“But…what made you say that?” I asked.

“I…I want you to be what I wasn’t…and succeed. I admit that I was a bit selfish earlier.” Sue was stern with her answer. “Now go, but be quick. You never know where that leads.”

Before she left the room, I gave her a quick hug, but when she hugged back, her grip was tight as if she really didn’t want me to go.

“Thanks, Sue.” I smiled letting her go.

“Don’t thank me.” Sue shook her head as she went out of my room. Locking the door securely, I headed back towards the closet door; flickering light from the torches emitted some light in the darkness. My necklace was still incased in its little spot, as if that’s where it belonged.

“Please let me find something out…” I whispered as I entered the passage, grabbing a torch along the way. Slowly I walked down the steps, nothing but the light of my torch to light my way. The echoes of my steps against the steel ringed around me as I headed downward. Nothing hung on the walls, leaving my little adventure bare and unexciting. About a hundred steps later, I appeared at an empty hallway. I felt my eyes do the weird straining and at the end of the hallway I could see another stairway leading upwards. Walking the dirt hallway, its walls were a brown brick. The cement between the bricks was a dark brown color, rather than a gray. At the end of the hallway near the entrance towards the staircase, I saw something indented in the brick.

“We all hide secrets of our own.” I read out loud. “Just be careful with who finds them out. Don’t be fooled by people’s smiling faces or their nice personalities. If there’s one thing in life that people need to learn is to keep their mouth shut.”

What did that mean? And who wrote it? Could it be…Marikan’s message? It sounds like it would be something he would right considering what happened to him with keeping secrets about his power. I headed onward towards the staircase and this time, there was a door at the top and light coming out from underneath. Setting my torch on the side of the entrance, blowing out the fire first, I climbed the staircase and reached the door. Part of me said that I shouldn’t be here and that I need to leave.

Another part of me said that I had to know what was on the other side.

As odd as it seemed, my dream came back to me like it was a key factor to where I was now. That door that Clara came out of…could this be the exact door?!

“One way to find out,” I whispered to myself.

Gripping the doorknob, I started to count and on five, I slowly opened the door, peaking my head inside. What I saw next hit me like a ton of bricks. This room had a round table with many chairs surrounding it, windows were alongside the walls and pillars were around the room. This room…this was the exact room that was in my dream. My head was starting to feel dizzy taking it all in as I heard some footsteps coming from the far right side of the room.

“P-Goon,” I heard Jenissi’s voice. “What do you want her to have her do in the mornings?”

“I still haven’t thought about that,” P-Goon’s voice sounded exhausted. “I have all weekend yet to think of what to do with her.”

Closing the door, just where there was barely a crack, I peaked at the two taking a seat around the table, both sitting next to each other. P-Goon leaned his head back and sighed, while Jenissi ran his hand alongside the table’s edge, studying it carefully.

“She is so troublesome.” P-Goon explained. “She might be even worse than Hansol.”

“HEY!” I shouted in my head.

“I might have to agree with you.” Jenissi nodded.

Anger flew through my veins and I was close to actually bursting into the room and telling them what for.

“Although…” Jenissi added. “I think that he’s getting better.”

“Better? How?” P-Goon tilted his head.

“You haven’t noticed?” Jenissi turned towards him in his seat. “Ever since she came here, he’s been…better. Not by much, but comparing when he first started to attend, it’s a big difference.”

P-Goon raised an eyebrow in confusion, but then he laughed, shaking his head. “What are you saying? She’s having an effect on him?”

“Technically.” Jenissi answered. “I can’t believe that you haven’t taken notice of it. I thought I taught you better than that.”

“You did.” P-Goon hung his head. “It’s just that she’s…distracting.”

Well, I have to agree with him only because I have been…troublesome.

“She’s doing things that she wants to. Has she never heard of rules before?” P-Goon shook his head as his hand went underneath the table, and with a single click, the table, no, Odilem, . Well, it at least tried to, but a decreasing noise sounded and in another second, it was off again. P-Goon sighed and leaned on the table, running his hands through his hair.

“What’s distracting about her?” Jenissi asked. It looked like he was pushing his leader into getting the stress out. P-Goon looked over at him in an ‘are you kidding me?’ look, but Jenissi put up his hands. “Other than her breaking rules.”

P-Goon nodded and sighed again. “Other than that…she doesn’t know what element she has. Sure, she has the power of Air running through her, but…”

“But?” He wanted to push him further.

“She’s like Hojoon. And that scares me more than anything.” P-Goon admitted. “She’s curious. She doesn’t know her birthday or know for a fact that she is Air element. For all we know, she can be thinking…things.”

“So, you’re afraid that one of them is going to be like him.” Jenissi nodded.  Part of me understood where he was coming from. I, too, thought that I might be the 13th sign. But…if he died and made the Zodiac himself…doesn’t that technically mean that his creation stopped after he died? But that also doesn’t mean that things can’t be repeated. I still don’t know how Marikan gained new powers. “I understand. But P-Goon, remember what I taught you.”

“Be ready for anything that comes my way.” P-Goon finished.

“And?” he lowered his head.

“And always be ready for a challenge.” He sighed.

“Right.” Jenissi got up and ran his fingers along the side of the table again. “You know…we can always make sure that she is indeed Air element with the Odilem.” Jenissi suggested.

“Are you crazy?!” P-Goon said it as a laugh. “You know damn well that the Odilem isn’t good anymore!”

“If we just try it-” but Jenissi was cut off.

“What do you think I did not too long ago?” P-Goon shook his head in disbelief. “That was one of my ideas, but of course that went down the drain. If it worked, I would definitely use it on both of them!”

“Just making a suggestion,” Jenissi raised his hands in defense. “We need to get the damn thing fixed, though. Maybe that can one thing that you can work on whenever you aren’t busy.”

“Yeah, when will I have the time, Jenissi?” He asked. “Besides…I have to worry about her. It looks like I’ll have to push her, just like I’m pushing Hojoon.”

It wasn’t that I wasn’t paying attention before, but the second that that sentence came out of his mouth; my head shot up and focused on P-Goon.

“Speaking of which, don’t you think you are going too hard on him?” Jenissi leaned forward.

“What I’m trying to do is making sure that he sticks to one Element.” P-Goon now stood and walked back in forth. “He took classes in the past and has a little bit of knowledge of each Element…I need for him to focus on one. I don’t want him to be another Marikan. That’s why I’m pushing him. The girl seems to be worried about him. Hojoon keeps telling me not to push him as hard because he doesn't want me to worry her.”

Rage ran through my blood, but at the same time, I understood his side. I hated that he pushed Hojoon past his limits. I couldn’t take any more of them talking, especially about Hojoon. I made my way back down the staircase and I made a run for it back to the main staircase. Catching my breath, I leaned against the wall and wiped the sweat off my forehead.

“That’s it…” I whispered to myself. “That’s the room with that table. It must also be where they have their meetings at. They might not know it, but...”

And then it hit me. I could go to their meetings. I can now know what they are going to plan for me in the future. I can make sure that Hojoon’s alright. Instead of thinking this as a bad thing, it was actually the exact opposite.

“I’ll be one step ahead of them.” I smiled as I went back up to my room.

Looking at the clock that was in the hole, I decided to leave it there. I wouldn’t want it to act weird when I’m in classes. I closed my closet door and headed back to my bedroom, where, surprisingly, my laptop was playing music. It wasn’t playing music before, which only meant one thing…someone was in here. Looking over at the balcony, I noticed that the flower that Hojoon gave me wasn’t there! Frantically looking around the room, I saw that it was on my nightstand, next to my bed. I could only think of one person…Sue. Should I go down and tell her about what I found? No, not yet at least. This room was Clara’s after all, maybe Clara told her about it when they talked. The passage must’ve been made when Clara was with the group! Either that or it was always there. But that didn’t really make much sense. I noticed that the food for my lunch was cold and it was past lunch time. My appetite was lost, anyway. I was already locked up in this building. But, whenever I want to have an escape, that passage was there for me to explore. A small smile formed on my lips and thought of all of the information I will find out from their meetings. Who knows…maybe I will explore where that room is located. In the dream, it had a big staircase leading somewhere upwards. But all I could see was a bright light.

It was frustrating not knowing everything.