Her

The Way We Were
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

March, 2004.

 

She took a very deep breath before she walks through the open gate of Seoul High School. The place where she would spend the next three years. It would be a lie if she says that she didn't have a very high hope on those years she'll spend here. She wonders about what will happen in those years. Will she be able to keep up with all the subjects? Will she gains new best-friends? Will she experience love? She smiles with the thoughts.

 

It takes her almost 10 minutes to locate her class, 1-1 and she quickly walks through the door. She found the class already filled with the students whom she thoughts would be her class mates over the year. Some boys were laughing about some jokes, some talks about the new anime or the new girl group. The girls talks mostly about their vacations, and how they didn't want it to end at all. They seems so friendly to each other, which makes her worried if she's the only one that didn't came from Seoul Junior High. She spots an empty seat near second row from the back, and she quickly walks there puts her bag and took her seat.

 

"Oh hello!" A voice came from her left and she quickly turns around.

 

A girl with a red-brown locks were smiling brightly at her, "Hello there! I'm Yejin, Lee Yejin." She says again.

 

She smiles back, "Hello, I'm Sunghee. Han Sunghee."

 

"Hi Sunghee. Are you new here? I mean not from Seoul Junior High?"

 

Sunghee nods her head, "Yes. I'm from Chunan Junior High, and let me guess, you’re from Seoul Junior High?"

 

Yejin smiles widely and nods, "Ah! I envy you so bad. Its really good to be a new student. And to answer your question, yes. I've spent all my school years here in Seoul."

 

Sunghee smiles, she thinks that it might be not that hard to gain new friends here. "Why? Being a new student is just so awkward.."

 

Yejin smiles, "Because that means I could get a new environment. Being in the same school over the years kind of got you bored to death."

 

She was just about to reply back when she heard someone pulled the chair beside her, and she quickly glance up to her new desk mate.

 

Her new desk-mate smiles at her, "Hi, desk-mate! I'm Dongwoon." He says and lends out his hand.

 

She smiles back and shakes his hand, "Hello to you too, desk-mate. I'm Sunghee."

 

Dongwoon grinned and just before he could sit down, someone shouts at front of the class.

 

" Dongni!! You're here!!" One of the boys in front of the class shouts, and quickly walks through the rows of desks.

 

"Hyuunnngg!!" She could hear the excitement in Dongwoon's voice and just right then the five boys were already right in front of him and they hugs each other while muttering words that she can't even comprehend.

 

Few minutes later after Dongwoon and his friends' excitement has gone down, and she found herself glancing at his friends which she thoughts must be in their senior years.

 

"Ah right, hyung. Meet my desk-mate, Sunghee." She heard Dongwoon calling her name and she quickly glance up but only to find another set of brown eyes that didn't belong to her desk-mate.

 

She could swear that the moment her eyes met his, she felt like something caught her breath, but yet she find it hard to look away. Those seconds when their eyes met felt like minutes for her, and then he smiles. Before she knew it, she was smiling back.

 

"Hello, Sunghee. I'm Doojoon. Yoon Doojoon." The boy says as he extends his hand to her.

 

She didn't know why or how. But the moment her hands touch his, something in the back of her minds tell her.. that it's just the beginning.. their beginning.

 

*****

April, 2004.

 

It didn't take much time for them to bond, in just 2 days Sunghee was declared by Yoojin as her best-friend. In a month later both of them are already inseparable. Somewhere along, Dongwoon and his friends are included in their line of friends. They hang out a lot before and after school. Dongwoon were practically Sunghee's partner in almost all subjects, except English in which she shared it with Yoojin. It wasn't a special thing to see either one or all of Dongwoon's friends hanging around their class before class starts, or even during breaks. So when Sunghee walks to her class and not noticing one of Dongwoon's friends there she felt a bit odd. Usually either Doojoon or Yoseob would already be there to bother Dongwoon. Or in Doojoon's case, in search of food. She looks around and only find Yoojin sitting in her seat grinning at her like crazy. She smiles confusedly at her as she walks to her. Once she arrived at her seat, she realized why Yoojin were grinning at her.

 

There at her seat, lay a white-box with a card on top of it. Sunghee glances at Yoojin who only shrugs, but still grinning. Sunghee carefully took the card, and opens it only to be greeted by a very neat hand-writing.

 

Happy Birthday, Sunghee. Have a nice one.

 

That's it. No name or anything that could let her know who the sender was. A smile crept to her face nevertheless as she carefully open the box. It was a very small round-cake with a strawberry on top of it. Sunghee's smile widens, whoever the sender is, he or she knows that she prefers cakes like this one, Simple with fruits on top. She glances at Yoojin who once again shrugs.

 

"It's definitely not me, Hee. Seriously, I know it's your birthday. But my surprise for you is somewhere today after school." Yoojin says now leaning at her table, smirking at her.

 

Sunghee shrugs, "If it's not you then who it is?" She wonders as she pulls the chair and sits.

 

"I don't know. When I arrived today, it's already there."

 

Sunghee somehow felt the handwriting was pretty familiar but she just couldn't remember whose it is. The chair beside her was pulled, and as she turns around she found her desk-mate also grinning.

 

"Oh ho ho.. Sunghee.. Seems like you have a secret admirer..." Dongwoon teased, and Sunghee quickly laugh and slaps his arm.

 

"Stop it, Woon."

 

Dongwoon smile to himself as he took a peek at the card, and the hand-writing inside.

 

*****

 

It was a few days after Sunghee's birthday and they were hanging out together at a bubble-tea shop in front of the school. Doojoon, Yoseob, Dongwoon and Gikwang were queing in the line with Sunghee, while Junhyung, Hyunseung, and Yoojin were trying to find empty seats for them. Sunghee was chatting with Doojoon when suddenly Dongwoon nudge him.

 

"So, have you find out who sends you the birthday cake?" Dongwoon asks, and he could swear that right after he said it out loud, he could feel Doojoon's killing stares at him.

 

Sunghee chuckled, "Why did you suddenly brings up that topic, Woon? Seriously."

 

Dongwoon grins, "Why not?" he says as he gives both Yoseob and Gikwang knowing looks.

 

Yosob chuckled before he suddenly pats Gikwang shoulder and both of them laugh. While Doojoon fake a cough. Sunghee looks at them weirdly before she shakes her head and chuckled.

 

"I’m just going to sit right there with the others. So you two, go and orders for us, okay?” Yoseob says, before he quickly drags the other out from the queue. But of course they left after Dongwoon managed to wink at Doojoon.

 

Sunghee chuckled at them, “I guess it’s just both of us now then.”



Doojoon laugh, “I think it’s better this way, they’re too noisy. And I bet they’ll ended up ordering all the flavors if we let them choose with us.”

 

Meanwhile in the table, Yoojin chuckled looking at the two, along with the other boys. “They’re just in love” Junhyung concluded, to the others agreement.

 

******

 

Sunghee was just finished taking out her books,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter