Two

1412

In a few hours, as the victim's body was removed from the scene for an autopsy, and the police had closed out the scene. Yuri was back into her office, thinking about the case.

First suspect: Seo Inguk's wife, Eunji. She was doing grocery shopping at the time of death. Her alibi was real as she showed the grocery shopping receipt with the time on it. Besides, the injuries were quite brutal and looking from the force done on the victim, it could only be a male's doing.

Second suspect: Seo Inguk's best friend, Kim Soohyun. He was on the way to visit his best friend to have a chat but no neighbours had seen him coming to the house at the time. He was agonizing so much, in an excessive way when the police were there. Not sure if he was usually such an emotional person or not.

Third suspect: The neighbour, Lee Minho. He was the one who reported the case to the police. He claimed that he was going to ask Inguk to lend him a wheelbarrow for gardening since he don't have one. Yet, the other neighbours had not seen him too.

Siwon was sitting in front of Yuri, with one leg propped on the other. "I'm telling you, everyone can see that it is Lee Minho who killed Inguk. He was the one who reported the case, you know, like a bad guy acting good guy, so coincidentally, he wanted to do gardening at that time, and so coincidentally, Inguk was dead when he arrived at the scene."

"And the motive?" Yuri questioned Siwon.

"Who knows? Neighbours would sometimes have quarrels over small little things, like..." Siwon pondered, and smirked naughtily. "You know, when things get too loud at night."

"Pft, you and your mind."

"So, as I was saying, all we have to do is to find evidence against Minho."

**

In the office of Shinhan Financial Group headquarters in the early morning the next day, the office workers were at a mess. The office was bustling with hushed whispers and gossips of Seo Inguk's death and who was going to be the newly appointed Managing Director.

Without Inguk, they needed to elect a new Managing Director as soon as possible. After their successful establishment in both Korea and Japan, they were going to collaborate with Hua Nan Commercial Bank in Taiwan.The sudden loss of a Managing Director shook their confidence in handling the project as Inguk was the one contacting the shareholders in Taiwan.

**

Even the media were paying attention on the issue due to brutal death the victim had faced.

"The Managing Director of Shinhan Financial Group, Seo Inguk, aged in his late twenties, was found deceased at his own penthouse yesterday. The body was found to have a gun shot in his head, with a total of 27 stabs and slashes across his body. The media officer of the Korean National Police Agency had claimed that the bullet on the victim's forehead was a 9mm Luger 124 gr of 0.85 lbs. Besides that, the slashes had come from a dagger. Police are still trying to locate the culprit behind the doing and they will update us on the progress of the investigation again at a later time. Reporter of The Korea Times, signing off."

**

Jung Jihoon was in his office, clasping his hands together in wee. Looking at a small transparent glass with words "Jung Jihoon, Finance Manager", he grinned. Now that Inguk is dead, the Managing Director position shall most likely go to him.

Just then, his personal assistant, Cha Ye Ryun knocked on his door, signalling that the conference for the new appointment is starting.

**

The afternoon sun gradually blares, as time is slowly passing by. Yuri stood up and grabbed her coat.

Well, time to go and hunt for some more clues. Maybe I should go back to the crime scene.

**

Yuri stepped out of her black BMW Z4, putting her sunglasses aside into the pockets of her trench coat, she strode towards the door of Inguk's house. As the police had sealed out the crime scene, she had to show her identity card, obtained from Inspector Song Jihyo. The officer guarding the crime scene lets her in, while giving her a pair of sanitary gloves.

Yuri walked into the house as she slipped on the gloves, and looked around. She went to the bedroom, looking at where once the victim's body laid before it was removed.

She approached the bed to take a closer look. Hmm... some food grease here. Eating breakfast on bed? How dirty..

Yuri took out her phone and zoomed in at the photograph of the paper cringed in Inguk's hand from before. "Forgive me, for I have sinned." Yuri read it aloud. The paper were sent to the Forensic Science Department and the blood was found to be belonging to Inguk.

Where did this paper even come from, he might have either planned this from before, or had too much time after the murder.

Yuri looked around and saw nothing of particular interest until she saw a portrait on the bed side table. It was a portrait of three, Jeong Eunji, Seo Inguk, and Kim Soohyun. Without stalling for long, she turned her eyes to the trail of blood marks on the floor. What a struggle.

Spotting a patch of blood inconsistent with the other patches of blood, she deduced that one other incident had splattered that batch of blood. Before the patches of blood from the side of the bed towards the door, was another puddle of blood, larger than the others.

This big puddle of blood probably came from the gunshot, but the rest of these... no. Supposed that Inguk went to the door, and saw the killer, it would appear that the slashes of knife came first, then he fell backwards, then the gunshot. but it was instead the gunshot first. No.. well, something is off here. It doesn't explain the other batch of blood that could explain the one other incident.

Yuri contemplated for awhile, and decided that she should continue her search, as she decided to only obtain all the pieces of the puzzle first, before putting them together.

Yuri then stepped out of the house and the police sealed the entry right after. She walked over to Lee Minho's house, and knocked the door, hoping to interview Lee Minho. However, no one responded.

Just then, Siwon came into her sight, and helpingly offered, "Need any accompany?"

Shaking her head, Yuri replied, "Not right now. Where did you come from anyway?"

"University. My father sort of dragged me there. Said it was for the the future of our family business and whatnot. Truth is, I don't care. I'm 27 years old for goodness sake! I know what I want to do, and running the family business is definitely not what I want!"

Yuri thinly smiled, and asked, "Well, what do YOU want to do?"

"Something NOT running the family business. Forget about questioning me, why not interrogate our prime suspect, the flower boy Lee Minho over there." Siwon pointed towards the direction of the car, just driving in along the street.

**

"Sorry, I just went off to the beach to calm myself." Lee Minho explained before apologizing to Yuri and Siwon for not being at home.

Siwon frowned his eyebrows, and muttered, "Or, throw away the murder weapon into the sea."

Yuri elbowed Siwon, and muttered back, "I can hear you."

She brightened her smile, and faced Lee Minho, drawing her hands for a handshake. "Good to see you, Lee Minho. I'm Kwon Yuri, the detective in-charge of the homicide case of Seo Inguk. I just want to ask you a few questions."

Lee Minho shook her hand, though a bit shakily, and nodded, "Sure, I'll help you out as much as possible."

"I'll cut to the chase, then. You were the one who found the body right?" Yuri questioned as she took out a little notebook to jot down notes.

Lee Minho nodded and replied nervously, "Yes, it was in such a state that I couldn't bear my eyes to look at Inguk's body for even more than a glimpse of an eye."

"So, I know that you said that you were going to borrow Seo Inguk's wheelbarrow," Yuri paused, trying to confirm the statement, as Lee Minho nodded. "my question is that, why were you in the house at that point of time?"

"I knocked at the door a few times, but the door was just swung open by the wind. So I called out for Inguk from the entrance, but no one replied. I felt something was off, and walked into the house."

"So why specifically the bedroom?"

"I haven't been to the inside of the house before, I was walking through every room trying to find Inguk."

"And how did you know that Seo Inguk was at home at that time?"

"I was washing the car and saw Eunji went out of the house alone, so Inguk must be at home."

Better ask Eunji about it later.

"So, what did you do after washing the car?" Where was he to miss out whoever went in Inguk's house during the 45 minutes when Eunji was out?!

"I went back into the house and ate a light meal."

"You didn't hear anything suspicious at all during that period of time?"

"No, I was listening to my earphones."

In Siwon's mind, he had pinpointed Lee Minho as the murderer of Seo Inguk, smirking at the thought  of Lee Minho's statements were all pointed at himself being the criminal.

"One last question, Lee Minho, how is your relationship like with Seo Inguk and Jeong Eunji?"

"We are close, we often help each other out."

"Thank you very much, I appreciate your help, Lee Minho."

"You're welcome. Glad to be of help to you."

**

"Jeong Eunji?" Yuri lightly tapped on Eunji's shoulder while her head was deep buried in her hands, still controllably crying over her dead husband on a couch in the police station as she had nowhere to go. Her parents are back in her hometown, far away from Seoul.

"Y-yes?" Eunji looked up; her face in a miserable state.

"I send my condolences with the loss of your husband. Can I talk to you for a moment?" Yuri said, while handing her some tissues that Siwon found somewhere in the police station.

"O-Of c-c-course... Who-e-v-ver d-did thiss... shall receive karma!" exclaimed Eunji and she blew her nose hardly into the tissues.

"So, about your husband, do you know if he has any rivals of any sort? In the company, or back in high school?" Yuri started questioning once she sat down beside Eunji on the couch.

"H-how did you know we went to the sa-me high school?" Eunji asked, as she struggled to calm herself down from the grief.

"I saw the portrait in your room. The background was of Cheonggu High School."

"Ah, y-yes. Inguk was a very kind-d soul in high school. There wasn't a-any rivals, everyone c-could hate everyone, but not Inguk. He was like an a-angel that came down to Earth, always helping people, i-it was then that I get to know Kim Soohyun from Inguk."

"Can you tell me more about Kim Soohyun?"

"He was Inguk's confidant, his childhood friend. They already were best friends before I get to know them. They shared the same interests and ambitions, they once said that 'Whatever we want, we shall get. Nothing shall get in our way to achieve that.'"

"Perhaps interest in the same girl too?" Siwon accidentally let slip of his mouth.

"No way! He has a girlfriend of his own, Jun Jihyun."

"Why wasn't she in the portrait too, then?" Yuri asked.

"They only started dating 3 months ago."

"And do you know where is she working at?"

"She works at Shinhan Financial Group, that's how Soohyun met her."

"Hmm... and one more thing, what did you guys eat on bed in that morning of Seo Inguk's death?"

"Tteokbokki. Why?"

"Was Inguk the kind of person to do dishes?"

"He would usually wait for me to come back home and clear the plates for him. Why?"

" Well, tell me everything you know about what happened that morning."

"Everything was normal, we had breakfast, then I went out to do grocery shopping, then I came back, a-anddd Inguk... Inguk.... was... g-gone....."

"Did you see Lee Minho on your way out?"

"Yes, he was washing his car." Well, at least he wasn't lying about what he was doing before the time of death.

"Is Lee Minho the k-killer??"

"I will tell you about it when everything comes to light."

Yuri stood up, ironing out the wrinkles of her coat with her palm and bade farewell to Eunji.

**

"I doubt the girlfriend of Soohyun has anything to do with this case." stated Siwon as they stepped out of the police station.

"You finally get right on one thing, Siwon." Yuri sarcastically remarked before stepping in to her own car and shut the door before Siwon could say another word.

"So, where are we heading now?" said Siwon, as he put on his seatbelt on the passenger seat.

"Why are you following me anyway?" asked Yuri, a bit irritated by Siwon's "stalking".

"What else?" Siwon widened his eyes and continued, "point Lee Minho as the murderer and leave him speechless of course."

Yuri sighed and just drove off in the direction of Shinhan Financial Group's headquarters - the workplace of Seo Inguk, Kim Soohyun, and Jun Jihyun. Might be able to find crucial leads there.

**

"Hello, I am Kwon Yuri, a detective. I am investigating the case of Seo Inguk's murder." Yuri told the receptionist, showing her the identity card that certifies her as the detective in-charge of the case.

"Yes, is there anything I can help you with?" replied the receptionist.

"Is Kim Soohyun around?" Yuri asked.

"No, he has applied for medical leave."

"How long?"

"3 days."

"Thank you." No luck.

"How about his girlfriend, Jun Jihyun?"

"Yes, she should be around in the office somewhere."

"What is her position in the company?"

"She's Kim Soohyun's secretary."

"And before that?"

"I don't know about that. They were already dating when I came into the company."

Bad luck today... Sigh... Guess I'll try talking to Jun Jihyun.

"Thank you very much. Oh, before I leave, did Seo Inguk and Kim Soohyun had any arguments prior to Seo Inguk's death?"

"No. Even if there was, they would usually resolve it in a day. They were so close."

"Thank you. I shall make my way now."

The receptionist went back doing her own things.

**

Jun Jihyun was at her desk, talking into her phone. Giggling could be heard every now and then in her conversation on her phone.

Yuri went to her, and coughed a bit awkwardly, catching Jun Jihyun's attention.

"Bye honey, talk to you after work. There's a detective over here." smiled Jun Jihyun as she ended her call.

"Well, I'll make this quick, so you can get back to your honey as soon as possible." Yuri remarked.

Jihyun straightened her back, in a professional manner, faced Yuri. "Hello, may I ask who are you?"

"Her? Not your honey, but a black pearl!" Siwon boasted.

"Stop it, Siwon. Allow me to introduce myself, Kwon Yuri, the detective working on Seo Inguk's case."

"Ha! A black pearl can't leave a clam even for work too, then?"

"Sorry, you have been mistaken. He. is. not. my. boyfriend." Yuri said, though hurting Siwon a bit for no reason.

"Oh, my bad." Jihyun apologised insincerely.

"Let's get down to business then, shall we?" smiled Yuri. Let's hope this goes well....

"Where were you on the day on Seo Inguk's death?" Siwon disrupted, a bit unhappy on Jun Jihyun's attitude.

Yuri shushed Siwon and said, "I'm doing the questioning here, Siwon."

"Do you know if Kim Soohyun and Seo Inguk had any quarrels in the office before Inguk's death?"

"I don't think there were any. They were always so close, sometimes I get jealous of Inguk for he was so close with Soohyun."

 "Did you see or hear anything suspicious of Kim Soohyun before Seo Inguk's death?"

"Nothing I can think of."

Bad luck indeed today. "By the way, tell Kim Soohyun to stay put when he calls you again. We actually came to ask him about Seo Inguk, but since he's not here, goodbye and thank you." And hopefully we won't see you again.

"But he's sick." Jihyun retorted.

"A sick person still has a mouth to talk, just as how a case still needs to be solved, isn't it?" With that said by Siwon, the two left the workplace.

Jihyun watched them left and turned back to her office desk to get some work done. Then, she noticed a name card on her desk, of Yuri, with words written on the back: Just in case.

**

Knocks could be heard on the door of Soohyun's house as he laid in bed. He wasn't asleep though, he was staring blankly at the ceiling above him.

He got up from his bed, and opened the door to welcome his guests.

"Hello Kim Soohyun, may we have a quick talk with you? I am the detective in-charge of Seo Inguk's case." Yuri stated.

"It won't take long." Siwon added, as if he was in the investigation as well.

"Yes, sure-, o-f course, Kwon Yuri... I saw you that day when Seo Inguk's body was found. And who is this?" Soohyun looked questioningly as he swung open the door to let them in his house.

"Oh, I am Choi Siwon. Kwon Yuri's.. Um, who am I to you?" Siwon said with pride, then with hesitation.

"No idea. He could just stay outside your house if you're uncomfortable of his presence." Kwon Yuri replied Soohyun.

What?! Siwon looked at Yuri with a surprised on his face.

Uh huh. Yeap, you're staying out. Yuri chuckled to herself, happy with Soohyun keeping the "stalker" away from her.

"Oh no, it's fine. He can come in too." said Soohyun, as he invited both of them in.

"Please have a sit." Soohyun said, as he went to the pantry to get the two drinks.

"No, it's alright. We will leave soon." Yuri proceeded to have a look around his house, his house was clean and neat.

Soohyun then served Yuri drinks anyway even though Yuri kindly declined her offer.

"Well, Kim Soohyun, you were going to find Seo Inguk on the day of the murder right?"

"Y-yes..." Soohyun affirmed the statement.

"Where were you before you headed towards Seo Inguk's house?"

"At home."

"How do you usually go to Seo Inguk's house?"

"By car."

"I see..." That's odd, then why was he sweating on that day?

"So, do you by any chance know if Seo Inguk had any rivalry with anyone in the past?" Yuri asked again.

"Not that I know of." Soohyun replied curtly.

"Well, tell me what you know about Seo Inguk then, why would anyone kill him?" Yuri asked as she sat down on the couch in Soohyun's house.

"I don't know." Soohyun then grabbed a glass of water and gulped it down in one go. "Ugh!" He grabbed his forehead with pain.

"Can you perhaps tell us what caused your headache?" Yuri asked.

Soohyun then shot a can't-you-see-I'm hurting look at Yuri and that made Yuri not push it.

"Well... I guess we will take our leave. Please take care." Yuri said, as she stood up.

"Yeah, sorry for disturbing you. Guess we'll go now." Siwon added in.

**

On the next day, Yuri went around the neighbourhood of Inguk's house interviewing people, asking the same questions over and over again. Had they saw or heard or sense anything out of ordinary? Everyone was saying the same thing. It was like fishing for a needle while rowing on a boat in the vast ocean.

Well, guess I shall go snooping around on my own.

Yuri went back to Inguk's house and searched more thoroughly this time. Did I miss something? Kwon Yuri never misses anything!

The breeze blew past the patch of green grass in Seo Inguk's garden, it was relaxing. Breeze and nature until a shard of something reflects light and catches Yuri's attention from her corner of an eye.

Yuri strode towards the reflected light and bent down, calling for a forensic officer, she pointed at the shard of material and the officer took the shard of material with a pair of tweezers.

"Looks like we got some major lead here." claimed the officer, seeing there was a pinch of blood on a white material, that seems like porcelain.

"I sure do hope so. Inform me immediately when the results are out." said Yuri.

"Yes, Ms. Kwon." replied the officer.

**

"So, you called. I didn't expect this to happen." Yuri said into her mobile phone and swung her swivel chair around, facing the city view from her office.

"I don't too, but since it's a serious matter..." A woman's voice could be heard trailing off the other end of the call.

"So, what do you want to tell me?" Yuri asked.

"The night before it happened, Soohyun was mumbling in his sleep..." Jihyun explained her own suspicions. "He said something about why Inguk was the only one who gets promoted.."

"And?"

"He spent the whole night thrashing about in his sleep and I couldn't get mine... Said something about they're brothers.. and.. also... what... they shall get.... whatever.. achieve... way.."

'Whatever we want, we shall get. Nothing shall get in our way to achieve that'?"

"Yes, that was it! How do you know?"

"Jeong Eunji mentioned about it."

"He also mumbled something about they are brothers and it was something he should get too... Or that was what it seemed to be."

"I see. Thank you for calling."

"You don't think he is the killer, is he?"

Hearing another incoming call on the line, Yuri replied, "I have another call coming, we'll soon find out, won't we?" With that, she ended the call and picked up the second incoming call.

"Ms. Kwon? This is the Forensics Department, and we are calling to inform you that the shard of material you found had a small trace of blood."

"Who does it belong to?"

"Unfortunately, the blood sample is too small to be able for us to identify the owner."

"And what of the material?"

"The shard seems to come off from a porcelain plate. That's all we can do."

"Can you try matching it with the plates in Seo Inguk's house?"

"We can, we'll try to calculate the possible circumference of the plate and match the design with the ones in Seo Inguk's house."

"Thank you."

Yuri put down the phone, and called the police, asking for backups. The murderer is dangerous, having such a blunt force and no mercy for his victims, there was no telling on what he might do if she went alone.

**

Well, seems like we're finally reaching there.

Just then, a knock came on her door. She got up and opened the office door, finding two pretty ladies clad in their police uniform showing their identification cards. Kim Hyoyeon, Im Yoona.

"Since you have seen this, let's get going. We've got it covered." said the one named Kim Hyoyeon, as the two police both kept their identification cards.

"So, who's the murderer?" questioned Yoona excitedly, determined to catch the criminal.

**

Lee Minho was at his house, listening to classical music with his earphones. His head beat along with the rhythm, enjoying the tranquil notes reverberating through his head. Everything was indifferent without Seo Inguk. Or so he thought. Just when he was about to cook himself a meal, he recalled Seo Inguk was always the one who brought him side dishes made by Eunji.

**

Knocking sounds could be heard on the door.

Kim Hyoyeon then shouted, "This is the police! We have a search warrant! We will be coming in if the door is still closed for the next minute!"

"With you shouting like that, anyone could be feeling guilty and trying to escape." Yoona stated.

"What, I'm just following protocol." Hyoyeon defended herself.

"I agree," came Yuri's reply. "Yoona, you might want to go to the back of the house to make sure he don't escape. I'll come behind you."

"Alright." Yoona nodded and headed towards the back door of the house.

"Is there even anyone in there?" Hyoyeon asked herself.

**

In the office, Jung Jihoon grinned to himself as he sat down on his comfortable seat in his new office. As expected, he got the Managing Director position. He crossed his leg and laid back on the chair comfortably, clasping his hands on his stomach.

**

"Not in there. No one's around." said Hyoyeon, after forcing her way into the house.

Yuri walked back to the front, and entered the house. Damn. Not good. At the office perhaps?

She walked into the living room she had once came, and looking at the bookshelves, she noticed something amiss. The last time she came, she was sure all the books filled the row, but this time, a book was not in place on one of the rows.

She searched for the book, and found it on the dining table. Without a title on the book, she felt curious and flipped it open. Inside, was a mould in the shape of a gun. A pistol, to be exact, of a G17. Not good...

"Let's head to Shinhan Financial Group right now!" exclaimed Yuri as she quickly left the house. No further evidence was needed. The killer is on the hunt for his second target.

The two policewomen hastily rushed into their police car, and put the siren on the car roof, rushing off to the headquarters of Shinhan Financial Group.

**

Jung Jihoon got up from his seat, and decided to go for a walk. He went up to the roof and looked over the city landscape, enjoying the breeze blowing at him.

**

Yuri's mind was racing, as the police car was heading to the company.

This man is crazy! So ambitious to even kill his own friend and colleague over just a position at the company?!

Her phone rang, and looked at the caller ID. It was Jun Jihyun. She quickly picked up the call, then without formal greetings, just said, "We're coming, we're coming!" and quickly ended the call.

Yoona stepped on the accelerator even harder, as Yuri kept her phone.

**

"Oh! You came, it's about time you get back to work. I send my condolences to you, over the loss of your friend. I've heard you two were best friends since young." said Jung Jihoon, as he turned around.

"I've been looking for you." Soohyun said as he finally reached the rooftop. He had been looking for Jung Jihoon all over the office.

"What is it? Is it about the collaboration project with Taiwan?" Jung Jihoon asked. "It's being taken care of."

"No, it's not about that. I... would... like... you..." Soohyun was slowly taking his time, pacing towards Jung Jihoon.

On the other side of the rooftop, came Hyoyeon's voice as she quickly pointed her gun at the target. "Kim Soohyun! You are currently under arrest for the murder of Seo Inguk! Please put your gun down and raise your arms to the back of the head!"

Kim Soohyun calmly maintained his stance, and pulled his gun out. Instead of putting it down on the ground, he slowly aimed it at Jung Jihoon.

"Wait, wait, something must be wrong here." Jung Jihoon said anxiously with his life on stake now that the gunpoint was aiming at him. He had not expected this. Kim Soohyun was always a nice guy, just like Seo Inguk was.

Hyoyeon called out again, ordering Kim Soohyun to put down his gun on the ground, and have his arms behind his head.

Unfazed, Soohyun just look for Yuri, and asked, "When did you know about this?"

"Your injury betrayed you." Yuri said. Hopefully we'll get him before this turns out to be a killing spree and we all die.

"I asked when, not how." Soohyun said, still looking at Jung Jihoon instead of Yuri.

"After I visited your house, I had a basic idea." Yuri explained.

Before Soohyun could ask anything further, Yoona came in from his back. And grabbed the gun away from him, throwing it far off towards Hyoyeon.

With a swift and natural force, Yoona handcuffed Soohyun in a blink of an eye.

"Well, that was quick." said Hyoyeon, and gave Yoona a thumbs-up.

**

Eunji was shocked when she saw Soohyun come in to the police station. Shaking with mixed emotions, she only cried even harder, and just shrieked, "He was your best friend!!! Why did you do that?!"

Yuri came over to Eunji, consoling her after Soohyun walked past, into the jail cell before interrogation.

**

During interrogation, Soohyun admitted to the crime he did, and his motive was all clear. He thought that since Inguk and him are sworn brothers, they should get everything they want together, and the Managing Director position was one of the things he wanted too, as it meant a great success in their career. He had been keeping his eye on his position since Inguk took over, and just snapped when he felt that Inguk was taking the hierarchy for granted, and made him do more work than Inguk himself.

He also confessed on how he quickly cleaned up the plate pieces Inguk had smashed on his head, and brought them with him to throw them away into a bin in an alley so no one saw him. After throwing them away, he quickly ran back to the house, in hope of clearing away the body, but the police were already there when he arrived.

The forensics had also confirmed the bullets inside Soohyun's pistol was the same ones as the one found on Seo Inguk and matched the blood on the other pieces of plate to Soohyun. With the testimonials of Jun Jihyun in, and Soohyun's own confession, he was deemed guilty in court and sentenced to jail.