motivation || one

WRITING HELP // inspiration, ideas, and more!

Sometimes it might feel like you’ve been standing in one place forever or you took a huge step backward, but try to remember that you writebecause you love to write. You might not have any books published, or an agent, or a publishing contract, but hopefully you’re working on something that means a lot to you. No matter what, no one can take that away from you. People might hate your writing or criticize you, but please don’t let that stop you.

Keep writing because it makes you happy.
"You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time. The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it."
- Neil Gaiman
Use what's in your heart to write. You would be surprised how powerful that is.
"There will always be better writers than you and there will always be smarter writers than you. There will always be people who are much better at doing this or that but, you are the only you. There are better writers out there than me, people who can plot better. But there’s nobody who can write a Neil Gaiman story like I can."
- Neil Gaiman
"Love your material. Nothing frightens the inner critic more than the writer who loves her work. The writer who is enamored of her material forgets all about censoring herself. She doesn’t stop to wonder if her book is any good, or who will publish it, or what people will think. She writes in a trance, losing track of time, hearing only her characters in her head."
- Allegra Goodman
"You should write because it brings you happiness and fulfillment. I did it for the pure joy of the thing. And if you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King
"If I write in public, every time I need to know what a character is doing with his hand or foot, I can look up and study people and find compelling gestures that I can harvest. Writing in public gives you that access to a junkyard of details all around you."
- Chuck Palahnuik
"The best books come from someplace deep inside. You don’t write because you want to, but because you have to."
- Judy Blume
"For me, writing a novel is like having a dream. Writing a novel lets me intentionally dream while I’m still awake. I can continue yesterday’s dream today, something you can’t normally do in everyday life."
- Haruki Murakami