Chapter 6

I Love You More

            “How are things going with your patients?”

            The doctor looked up from writing down his notes and looked up to see his colleague standing in front of his desk casually. He placed his pen down onto his desk before sitting up straighter in his chair. He gestured her to sit down in the chair in front of him and she did. She crossed her leg under the table and her arms on her lap with a small smile on her face.

            “Can you ask me how I’m doing instead?” The doctor chuckled at his own question, which only flustered his colleague.

            “What do you mean ask you? Are you okay?” She asked perking up a little more, curious to why he would ask her such a question.

            “I feel like my mind might explode.”

            “Explode?” She raised an eyebrow sternly at her colleague. “Did something happen to you and your patients?”

            “Tell me a time where you were in love.” The doctor leaned forward to show more interest.

            “In love?” She chuckled. “I’ve been in love so many times; I think I’ve lost count.”

            “That means you weren’t truly in love with a few.” He shook his head.

            “How would you know what true love is?”

            “There are only a few people that you’re truly in love with and people you claim to be in love with but are actually not in love with them; you’re in love with the idea of them.” The doctor clasped his hands together. “Now tell me a time where you’ve felt out of the world because you were in love with this person.”

            “Don’t you think it’s kind of silly of you to ask me a question like this? I’m not your patient and what does this have to do with anything?”

            “Your answer will be much help for me and my patients.” He sighed. “I’ve been listening about those two’s relationship for the past week now and I don’t know if I’m getting anywhere knowing about just those two.”

            She nodded as she leaned back a little in her seat. “The first time I’ve felt out of this world?”

            He nodded. “Or maybe you can tell me why he made you feel that way.”

            “He went by the name of Kim Jonghyuk. He was a year younger than me, surprisingly since I’ve always told myself that I wouldn’t date younger men, but he was more than a gentleman.” She smiled talking about this Jonghyuk guy. “He always made efforts to come see me even if that meant taking a taxi or walking through a snow storm because he said he loved me. I believed him only because no man would take such risk to see a woman if they weren’t in love, am I correct? He did everything and anything for me.”

            The doctor nodded his head while he listened to his colleague’s love story and even wrote a few notes down about her relationship; she didn’t even notice since she was so immersed in her own story-telling.

            “Explain to me how you two first met.” He said when he noticed that she paused a little in her story.

            “We met through a cake shop that we both went to often. He said he noticed me every time I would walk in because he thought I was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen, which makes me laugh whenever I think about it. I wasn’t the only woman in the world and it still makes me wonder what he saw in me out of all the ones who had walked in before and after me.” She chuckled at the thought. “But he approached me after I came in one day trying to stop myself from crying.”

            “Why were you crying?”

            “I caught my boyfriend cheating on me that day with his ex-girlfriend.” She shook her head and sighed because she still remembers how she felt that day. “Jonghyuk comforted me and even paid for the piece of cake that I wanted that day. He took me out of my thoughts and he even invited me for a movie, saying that he was only doing this as a friend and that he wanted nothing more.”

            “Then how did the two of you end up… In love or out of this world…?”

            “It’s because he was willing to sacrifice himself for me even when I wasn’t ready. I fell in love with the way he was so determined to love me for who I was even when my heart was hurting. Who can’t fall in love with someone who goes out of their way for you?” The corners of her lips curled up to a big smile, revealing her pearl white teeth that she kept hiding from her colleague. “He even made me feel wanted and that is and will always be every girl’s dream.”

            “Then tell me why the two of you aren’t together anymore.”

            “There will be people who come into your life and take your breath away and there will be people who come into your life to show you that not everything will work out.” She shrugged at the thought only to find herself crying. “Not everyone is meant to be.”

            “Do you still think of him?”

            “Every single day.” She leaned forward and sniffled.

 

 

            The doctor opened the door to where Chanyeol was sitting. He was on a metal chair with his elbows rested on the table in front of him while his head swayed back and forth slowly, as if he was listening to music. He walked over and sat across from the boy with his notes that he took of him and Soeun, and not only that, but he had notes of his colleague, to which he was more than thankful for because they were what he needed exactly.

            “Good afternoon, Park Chanyeol.” The doctor spoke as he set his hands onto his lap and leaned back in the metal chair.

            “Good afternoon.” Chanyeol raised his eyes only a little.

            “How are you feeling today?” The doctor picked up his pen that was sitting beside his notes and wrote something down, making Chanyeol curious to what he would write knowing that he only said two words.

            “I’m feeling… Okay.” It almost became a faint whisper when Chanyeol spoke.

            “Should we get right into this or should I make my way into it?”

            Chanyeol bit his lip but nodded his head.

            “What reminds you of her?”

            Chanyeol found himself smiling thinking back onto what the doctor had asked him. What reminded him of her? Only he remembered the moment when she looked at him and smiled as if there was no one else around her.

 

| | | | | | | | | |

 

            It was a cloudy afternoon and Soeun had been worried since that very morning since she didn’t see a smiling Chanyeol waving at her from the window. She tried calling him, texting him – anything – just to get him to reply to her because she was scared. Was he doing okay? Was he even home? What was going on with him? She quickly paced back and forth in her living room, making sure to look out the window every now and then just in case Chan Yeol was there, and called his cell phone, praying that he’d pick up.

            “Please pick up, Chanyeol…” She whispered to herself. “You’re starting to worry me…”

            As if her prayers were heard, the other line finally picked up and she heard Chanyeol’s faint breathing.

            “Chanyeol!” Her heart fell. “W-why didn’t you pick up your phone? Are you okay? Is there something wrong?”

            Hearing Chanyeol laugh through the other line made her heart pound excitedly in her chest. “Yah, Soeun-ah, I’m fine. I caught a fever this morning when I tried waking up. I thought I had texted you to let you know, but it looks like I forgot to send it.”

            “You’re sick?” Her face became pale thinking about how Chanyeol had looked. “Are you hungry? Did you eat? Did you take any medicine?”

            “Soeun-ah, why are you so worried about me? I’m fine and getting rest, okay?” He loved the way her voice shook from being worried; he found it cute. “I’ve been sleeping this whole time so I haven’t eaten anything yet nor have I’ve taken any –.”

            “I’ll be over in a bit!” She hung up the phone, not caring to let Chanyeol speak another word to her.

            Soeun grabbed her coat, not caring that she was only in a plain white t-shirt and a pair of pink sweat pants, and ran out of the door and to the nearest pharmacy. She went inside and bought medicine for a fever and then went to a nearby porridge shop and asked what the best food to cure a fever was. She ended up with a bowl of porridge soup with chicken since that was the number one thing on their menu anyway. She quickly bought it and ran back to Chanyeol’s apartment, to which she knocked her small knuckles against constantly, hoping that Chanyeol would open it by now.

            “Soeun, you don’t have to –.”

            Chanyeol was caught off guard when Soeun wrapped her arms around his waist and pulled him closer to her, hugging him tightly, as if she was afraid to lose him. He looked down at her small figure and laughed before hugging her back. The way she looked made him realize how sweet and how much he had loved her because she went out of her way to come take care of him. Joohyun’s never done something like this before; she always made sure she put makeup on and a decent outfit before helping him out whenever he was sick, but here Soeun was, in an outfit that didn’t even match and her hair was all over the place.

            “Go rest.” Soeun said after she and Chanyeol walked into the apartment. “I’ll reheat this soup and bring to you.”

            “Soeun, you didn’t have to do this for me.” He walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her. “I don’t need you going out of your way for me like this.”

            “But I want to.” She turned around and smiled up at him.

            “You look like you’ve just woken up.” Chanyeol laughed.

            “Yah.” She looked down at her outfit and turned pink from embarrassment.

            “But you’re beautiful the way you are.” He leaned forward and kissed her forehead. “Anything you wear, anyway you have your hair, you’ll always be beautiful to me.”

            “Go rest in bed.” She said as she playfully pushed him away.

            “How can I go rest in bed when I know you’re in the kitchen?” Chanyeol pouted at her gesture. “I want to be next to you.”

            “I’ll be next to you soon.” She said shooing him away.

            Chanyeol smiled at her before making his way back to his bed where he had been lying down before. He pulled the blankets over his legs and leaned back against the headboard as he waited for her to come into his room. He was curious to what she had brought for him to eat and was excited to just be next to her. His curiosity only took him to sleep, making him slouch over to the side as he his body rested on a few of his pillows that he had been sitting on.

            Soeun walked in only ten minutes after Chanyeol had fallen asleep. She pouted seeing that she had been holding onto the soup that was supposed to be for him, but found herself smiling happily knowing that he was resting well. She placed the bowl onto the desk and walked over towards him to check up on his fever. Her hands were cold due to washing her hands and went her hands touched his forehead, she felt how warm it was; her heart sank. She didn’t want him being sick.

            “I hope you’d feel better soon.” She whispered as she leaned foreword to give him a kiss on the cheek.

            “I hope you’d stay with me forever.” Chanyeol’s eyes open, making her freeze in place. “Were you going to leave me?”

            “No…” She denied as she stood back up, but Chanyeol grabbed her and pulled her over to his side on his bed, making sure to pull her against his body so that they were closer than ever. “W-what are you doing?”

            “You said you’d be next to me, no?” He smiled even though his eyes were closed shut. “If so, I want you to be next to me while I sleep.”

            “What if I don’t want to watch you sleep?” Her voice softened from the way his breath hit her skin.

            “Then what would you like to do?” He asked opening his eyes and looking at her.

            Soeun thought about it for a bit only to find herself reaching up to kiss Chanyeol, who happily closed his eyes as he felt her soft lips against his.

            “I’m sick.” He said while their lips were still pressed together. “You’ll get a fever if you kiss me.”

            “It’ll be worth it.” She said as she kissed him a little harder.

            “I love you, Cha Soeun.” Chanyeol said as he rolled over on top of her and kissed her under him.

            “I love you too.” She said as she caressed the nape of his neck.

 

 

            Chanyeol had gone back to the café after a few days of rest. He was thankful towards Soeun, who had stayed with him until he had gotten better. He even cherished that she would sleep next to him until he would wake up every morning and he was surprised to see that she made him breakfast, which always reminded him of Joohyun, who would wake up a few hours just to do the same for him, but it was different this time. Soeun, who was more bubbly and loving, would bring breakfast to him and feed him. He liked it.

            “Boss, I felt like I’ve been the one running this place for the past few days!” One of his employees said shaking his head in a playful way. “It was busier than the days you were here! I didn’t think I’d be able to handle it.”

            “Well, you did a good job, didn’t you?” Chanyeol patted his employee’s shoulders. “Maybe you should take my place so I can go on more vacations?”

            “That’d be unfair.” He shook his head. “I can’t handle all the stocks given.”

            “I’ll teach you how to handle it soon enough.” Chanyeol chuckled. “Now get back to work, you rascal.”

            “Got it, sir!” His employee saluted him before walking away to help a customer with an order.

            While his employees worked, he went into the back to where his office was with a cup of warm milk and looked at all of the stocks and items that he needed for the week. He updated his documents onto his computer that was out in front of him and just as he was about to finish it up, there was a knock at his door. He got up from his seat and opened the door to find his employee smiling sheepishly.

            “What did you do this time, you trouble-maker?” Chanyeol smiled even though he said this. “Did something happen?”

            “No, there’s a friend here to see you.” He looked away from Chanyeol’s eyes.

            “Is it Soeun?” Chanyeol asked making his way out of his office.

            “No, he goes by the name of Oh Sehun.”

            “Oh Sehun?” Chanyeol’s eyes seemed to have grown bigger than ever.

            He quickly ran to the front and saw his friend standing by the counter with a cup of coffee in his hands. Many of the customers who were inside of the café admired how handsome Sehun had looked. Chanyeol couldn’t deny it himself; his friend had gotten a lot more handsome since the last time he’s seen him.

            “Yah!” Chanyeol quickly walked over to Sehun and hugged him tightly. “How have you been?!”

            “Park Chanyeol!” Sehun put his coffee onto the counter and hugged Chanyeol tightly. “It’s been so long!”

            They went over to Chanyeol’s office, afraid that if they were to talk in the café, they would only disrupt other customers that were there. Sehun and Chanyeol were more than happy to be in each other’s presence catching up about what they did after high school together, what they were doing now, and how their lives were going. Sehun had told Chanyeol that he was getting married and that’s why he was there and Chanyeol was happy to congratulate his friend on his marriage.

            While they talked, they came upon the topic of Joohyun’s death, to which the feeling of sadness seem to seep back into Chanyeol’s heart. He didn’t know that it would hurt again since he’s been so occupied with Soeun’s company, but it was probably because Sehun was also a good friend of Joohyun’s. Sehun and Joohyun had actually been friends longer than he and Chanyeol have, to which Chanyeol was always envious of. He had always thought that Sehun and Joohyun had a thing, but it was never like that.

            “Did you ever think about how she would drown?” Sehun didn’t mean to ask such a question, but it really made him curious. “Our Joohyun was a swimmer, for goodness sakes.”

            “I still wonder to this day, Sehun.” Chanyeol sighed as he bit his lip awkwardly.

            “I miss her.” Sehun lowered his head. “I couldn’t even come to her funeral because I was stuck in America with my studies and I didn’t have money.”

            “It’s okay.” Chanyeol said. “Joohyun would have known that you would have tried to do anything for it.”

            “I regret it every day, you know that, Chanyeol?” Sehun shook his head slowly. “I wonder how she’s doing up there without us.”

            “It’s Joohyun. I’m sure she’s doing well.” Chanyeol felt hurt saying these words because he missed her so much.

            “How long has it been again?” Sehun asked.

            “Almost half a year?”

            “It seems like it was just a few weeks ago…”

            “I know.” Chanyeol looked down at his fingers and fiddled with them.

            “Are you seeing anyone?”

            “I am.” He somehow felt guilty for saying something like this because he should still be moping around about Joohyun, but here he was, talking about the girl he’s been with for those past couple of months.

            “What’s her name?”

            “You should know her, Sehun.” Chanyeol sat a little more straight up. “Her name is Cha Soeun. She says that she and Joohyun were friends.”

            Sehun froze. “You’re dating one of Joohyun’s friends?”

            Chanyeol looked away. “I… I’m sorry. It’s just… I know it’s wrong, but I didn’t mean for it to turn out this way… Really… She was there for me when Joohyun was murdered and the feelings grew and I just… I just fell in love with her.”

            “Do you not feel anything at all about this…?” Sehun’s voice suddenly seemed cold. “How could you ever think about dating one of Joohyun’s friends?”

            “I won’t apologize for it.” Chanyeol said in a small voice. “My heart chose her and I couldn’t hold back even if I wanted to.”

            “Are you happy?”

            “Why wouldn’t I be?”

            “What about Joohyun?”

            “Sehun, she’s gone. What do you want me to do?” Chanyeol’s heart became heavy hearing his friend’s harsh and unwanted words.

            “What if you weren’t here and Joohyun still was but she fell in love with me?”

            Chanyeol looked at his friends and pressed his lips together. “I would want her to be happy with you because I no longer can be there for her.”

            “I just hope you really are happy though, Chanyeol.” Sehun was being honest. “Even though it’s weird knowing that you’re dating her friend – wait.”

            “What…?” Chanyeol asked confused.

            “What was her name again?”

            “Cha Soeun.”

            “Cha… So… Eun…?”

            Chanyeol nodded his head.

            “Who is she?”

            “You don’t know her?”

            “No, I’ve never even heard of her and Joohyun and I have been friends for a long time…” Sehun raised an eyebrow. “Do you have a picture of her?”

            “Yeah.” Chanyeol took out his phone and showed Sehun.

            “I’ve never seen her before…” Sehun said squinting his eyes.

            “That’s weird…” Chanyeol said confused as well. “She and Joohyun have known each other for a long time.”

            Sehun bit his lip. “Did she say where she was from?”

            “No, I’ve never asked.” Chanyeol shook his head.

            “Maybe this was when I wasn’t friends with Joohyun then…?” Sehun shrugged.

            “Maybe.” Chanyeol said putting his phone back.

            “But anyway.” Sehun went back to what he was saying. “I hope you’re truly happy because if you’re not happy, then I’d kick your because you’re dating her friend for no good reason.”

            “Shut up, Sehun.” Chanyeol laughed. “I’m truly in love with this girl. She really is amazing.”

            “Maybe the four of us should go out to dinner in a few days then?” Sehun suggested. “I would like for you to meet my fiancé before the wedding anyway and plus, you are my best man.”

            “Best man?!” Chanyeol almost fell out of his seat.

            “Of course.” Sehun smirked. “You gotta be.”

            “I’ll be the best man you’ll ever have then.” Chanyeol chuckled.

            “Then dinner in a few days?”

            “Yes.” Chanyeol smiled happily. “I’d love for you to meet my girlfriend.”

 

 


 

Author's Note (181061): We're truly sorry for lagging on our updates since we did promise you all before it'd be posted up every single day since this was mentioned, but we've been so busy :( Again, we apologize. But we hope you enjoy this chapter. Thanks for reading :)