Final

Migikata

Furukawa Airi walked along the pavement along the street which she lived at. The sun shone onto the pavement as Airi adjusted her cap. Airi's long black hair was tied into twin plaits and her pink sneaker mules came into constant contact with the pavement. Airi's red and blue checkered shirt matched perfectly with her white shorts, casual fashion that suits the summer. It was currently summer and Airi wanted sometime to herself, so she decided to go for a walk.

Airi spotted a bed of blue Passion flowers on one of her neighbours' front yard. Airi gave a small smile before going on her way. Airi felt a twinge of nervousness and sadness in her heart. Airi continued walking along the pavement until she stopped at a traffic light. Airi looked across the street, but she regretted the action instantly. Airi lowered her cap, so that it would cover her eyes. Across the street was a young teenage couple. The male was Airi's childhood best friend and neighbour, Arioka Daiki, and he was with his girlfriend.

Airi could clearly remember the day when she realised that she was in love with her best friend. Airi and Daiki were best friends and they did pretty much everything together. They hung out after school everyday, they studied together and they used to have sleepovers together. Airi had a habit of falling to the side if she slept while sitting, so Daiki would always bring her head to his right shoulder, so that she could lean on it. Airi would occasionally lean her head on Daiki's right shoulder as well and she felt happy just through that simple action.

Airi was used to listening to Daiki's complaints and grumblings, and vice versa. Daiki could always cheer Airi up whenever she was sad or bitter. Airi and Daiki's friendship was a wonderful thing, which many people envied.

Airi gave a bitter smile as she waited for the traffic light to change. Airi remembered the time when Airi went over to Daiki's house to do their homework after school and there happened to be a sudden but heavy evening shower. Airi and Daiki sat on the porch seeing people rushing to get out of the evening shower. Airi laughed when Daiki made a joke. Somehow even the atmosphere was able to become fun amidst the evening shower. Airi casually leaned her head on Daiki's right shoulder and she let his warmth comfort her. Whenever Airi was with Daiki, her worries would be temporarily forgotten, as the worries would be replaced with laughter.

Airi sighed as she saw the traffic light change. Airi casually walked past Daiki and his girlfriend, who didn't seem to notice her. Airi shook her head and let out another sigh as she felt her eyes getting wet.

"Should I even reminisce about those times that we shared under this sky?" Thought Airi, as she sighed.

Airi headed towards the pier as she lived near the coastal area. Airi didn't live too far from the pier, although there were many smaller piers which weren't used anymore. Airi's father used to bring her and her older brother fishing at the smaller piers when they were younger. Airi sat on the dock and hugged her knees as she breathed in the salty air. Airi closed her eyes and imagined a scene where she lived happily ever after.


Airi's Imagine:

Airi walked under the colourful fall trees with someone holding her left hand. Airi turned to the person on her left and smiled. Arioka Daiki patted Airi's head with his free hand. Airi leaned her head on Daiki's right shoulder as they walked under the colourful fall trees. Airi smiled and Daiki smiled back at her.

End of Imagine


Airi smiled bitterly, it was painful seeing the person you love with someone else especially when they seem to be having so much fun. Airi was heartbroken but she was also glad that she realised her feelings for Daiki. But Airi wondered if it was really a good thing after all, as Daiki never realised that she was always waiting on him. Perhaps if she never discovered her feelings for Daiki, she wouldn't feel so painful, and she could overlook her pain and pretend that she never saw anything. Airi wiped her tears as they continuously rolled down her cheeks.