My Roommate; The Queen of the Wild

My All For You

I got back to the room much earlier than Saeron did and cleaned myself up before I hopped into bed. I quietly hung the dress I borrowed up on the doorknob of Saeron's dresser, not sure if she wanted to wash it first before storing it again. Once I was changed back into my only pair of clothes, my uniform, I jumped into the spare bed in the room and fell fast asleep. I was just beginning to drift into deep slumber when I heard the door open, probably Saeron coming back from the party. 

"Noona, we need to talk about this," a familiar male voice called out. By now I had woken back up but didn't bother to open my eyes as to alarm them of my consciousness. It was probably just Saeron talking to one of her siblings about a problem or something.

"Keep it down, Jiae is sleeping," Saeron scolded the other person.

"But, Noona, that's what I wanted to talk to you about," the male replied, an urgent tone in his voice. "Jiae is not who you think she is. Her name's not Jiae." I froze. I could hear the faint sound of scratching against metallic, something I heard often before I went into battle; my pocket knife being drawn. "Her name's Cassandra. It's carved into her pocket knife." 

Saeron's eyes narrowed at the object, observing it before looking up at her brother with a tinge of disinterest. "And what does this have to do with me?" She asked. "So what if her name is Cassandra? Why must it matter if her name is Jiae or not?"

The male folded the knife back up before shoving it back in his pocket, pursing his lips tightly as his brows cinched together. "You have to be careful, Saeron. You know about the feeling I've been having in my stomach."

"I've been having it, too," Saeron replied, holding her abdomen as the hollow feeling returned, a bad omen.

"Just... be careful. A storm is brewing," the male warned, his voice wavering. "I'm going to go to bed. Good night, Noona."

"Good night, Jin," Saeron replied, closing the door.

I shut my eyes tight, though I wanted to open them. I was astounded, shocked even. Jin was suspecting me of something, but what? I could hear Saeron sigh and kick her shoes aside before she walked over to my bedside and lightly tapped my shoulder. 

"You can stop pretending to sleep now, dear. It's painfully obvious," she spoke calmly and maturely, as if she had suddenly morphed into a whole new person. 

"H-how did you?" I asked, sitting up. I watched as she walked over to her dresser and pulled out a wine glass and bottle, pouring herself a drink before she flopped into bed. She threw open the windows beside her bed and looked outside longingly. 

"Say, Jiae," Saeron called out. I perked up at the mention of my alias. "No, wait, Cassandra I should say." She turned towards me, sipping from the glass. "That is your name, correct?"

I looked into her eyes. She was definitely not the Saeron I knew before. She had a glint in her eye that felt powerful, dangerous, you could say. I felt as if I could hide nothing from her and slowly nodded, afraid something would happen if I did lie. She smiled, sipping from her glass once more. 

"No need to be so tense, dear. I'm still the Saeron you know, just... different," she chuckled, placing the glass down on the windowsill. "Do you know who I am?"

I looked around in confusion. "S-Saeron?"

She shook her head and approached me, causing me to scoot back in fear. She put one knee on my bed and leaned in towards my face, forcing me to look deep into her eyes. "Close. Do you really know who I am?"

I gazed into her eyes, my heart racing in my chest as thoughts began to rush through my head. My brain was pounding against my skull as I processed the images racing by. They were images of statues and temples, the wild, the moon, the gods, and that's when it hit me. I fell back, hitting my head against the wall before falling over, my head throbbing in pain. I gasped for air, breathing heavily in fear and surprise as I looked up at Saeron who now stood before me, glowing in the moonlight pouring through the window. 

"Artemis. You're Artemis," I replied, taking a deep breath in between my words.

Saeron chuckled and crouched down to poke my nose before grinning from ear to ear like her usual self. "Bingo."

"But, how? Why are you here?"

"Cassandra," she interrupted me. "How old are you? And don't lie to me. You know what happens when you lie to a goddess."

I gulped. "A-a lot older than you take me for, m'am."

"Exactly how old?" She reinforced her question, looking at me with narrowed eyes, showing her impatience.

"I-I was there when Greece fell to the Romans. Centuries old. Exactly how old, I don't know. I don't keep count anymore," I replied, cowering against the wall as I looked up at her. 

"Is that so? Then tell me, are you a friend or foe? Answer carefully."

I looked up at her, though I hesitated, a bit confused by her question, I answered it confidently. "Friend."

She smiled, as if she knew my answer all along. "Good." She went back to her bed and laid down, closing her eyes and soaking in the blinding light radiating from the moon.

"B-but, Artemis, why are you here?" I asked again, sitting up and scooting towards the edge of the bed. 

"Oh, Cassandra. You're centuries old. I know full well you know the answer to your own question."

"Your children?"

"Close."

"Vacation?"

"Not exactly."

I paused, a light going off in my mind as I sat up straight, realization crossing my expression. 

"War."

Artemis smiled and snapped her fingers, pointing at me. "You got it."

"Against who?"

"We don't know who. That's why Apollo wanted to talk to me. The two of us have been getting similar pains in our gut. Something big is about to happen, and we're prepared to wage war at any time."

"Apollo?" I furrowed my brows before gasping. "Jin?"

"Indeed. And there's many more gods blended in among us. You just don't know that. I would tell you who, but I've already compromised our identities enough." 

"I-I see. I'll leave you to sleep then, m'am," I said humbly, rolling over in bed and pulling my blanket over my head.

"Mm," Artemis let out a soft hum before the room went silent. Moments later, she piped up again, this time she was asking the questions. "Cassandra? You know Taehyung, right?"

"Yes," I replied softly, not turning to look at her. "Your brother- I mean, son. The blonde one, correct?"

"Mm," she hummed, as if unsatisfied with my answer. "Nevermind. Have a good rest, dear. You've got a long day ahead of you tomorrow." 

"O-okay. Good night, Artemis."

"Good night."

I laid there, restless for what remained of the night. I couldn't believe that I was sharing a room with the one and only queen of the wild, mistress of the moon, patroness of s like me. It was a blessing in disquise, I told myself. I would soon learn it wasn't a blessing at all. More so a warning that anything.