Precipice

Precipice

[shoes]

It was the emptiness that captured her attention. The untidy lines of sneakers, flats and heels that used to be crowded by the middle of the left wall were now gone. The pair of silver flats on her feet.

Never give a loved one shoes, or they would walk away from you forever. But Taeyeon was never one for superstitions. (Maybe except now, starting from now.)

--

 

[love line]

All the suitcases have been packed, lined up in a short row by the entrance (or the exit) of the dorm. And the eight other girls were standing around the living room, each busying their hands with some thing or another. Glances were stolen, hearts lightening and straining concurrently with each transient confirmation that she was still here, eyes glazing with each glance.

 

They clutched at their phones, the ends of their shirts, their own arms, each other’s hands, so that they won’t reach out to seize the love line that was fraying with each second that Jessica evaded their silent pleas.

--

 

[do and don’t]

“So…” Her lips were pressed into a thin crescent line (those lips that had been pressed against hers so many times before), and her expression was unreadable reminiscent the Ice Princess that she was known to be.

 

This was it.

 

15 years. 7 years. 4 years. Forever.

 

Her black Chanel bag in her hand, her black Blanc sunglasses in her pocket, the silver flats on her feet. Jessica took a step back (or a step forward).

 

“Don’t…” A single word choked her, stopping on the tip of her tongue. She couldn’t speak. She couldn’t breathe. What was she to say? What was she to do?

 

Don’t leave because it is not your fault. Don’t leave because this should not be ending this way. Don’t leave because we are not one without you. Please don’t leave… because I love you.

--

 

[precipice]

A single word could hold much weight. Leader, obligation, choice, Girls’ Generation. Stay.

 

The incomplete sentence suspended in the space between the members, but no one could take the jump.

 

“Goodbye, Taeyeon, Soonkyu, Stephanie, Hyoyeon, Yuri, Sooyoung, Yoona, JuHyun.”

 

(They were all to fall anyways, in due time.)

Jessica turned around and stepped away, her silver flats on her feet.

 

Left in her place, emptiness.