Chapter 31.

Enamoured
Please log in to read the full chapter

chapter 31.

 

 

The letter in Kyungsoo’s pocket seemed to burn against his chest - it was odd how something so light and small had the ability to weigh him down in such a way - no matter how hard he tried to think of other things, it was as if the letter was alive, pulsing, pushing, constricting and limiting his ability to breathe.

From the drivers seat beside him, Chanyeol continued to fret, concerned.

“Are you sure you did everything properly? Addressed it correctly? Are you positive you added the-”

Kyungsoo cut him off before he could continue further “- yes, Chanyeol. Every i has been dotted and t crossed. Calm down.”

Chanyeol’s mouth snapped shut but a frown marred his handsome features as he pulled his car into a vacant space in the teachers parking lot. Kyungsoo unbuckled his belt and turned to retrieve his stashed laptop from the back seat, more or less expecting what would come next from his tall friend.

He sighed as he rotated back around, laptop now in his hands. “Will you please quit it? You’re making me anxious!”

“I am anxious!” Chanyeol whined.

Kyungsoo snorted as he opened the door. “You’re just a spectator!”

“But I’m an emotionally invested spectator!” He could hear as Chanyeol scrambled from the drivers side to unbuckle his own belt, the tall man practically falling out of the car in his haste to follow Kyungsoo.

“I know, Yeol, and I appreciate it, but I know what I’m doing.” Kyungsoo held back the desire to roll his eyes. 

“I know that you know what you’re doing - you know that I have every faith in you! I'm more concerned about the reactions of the rest of the staff, you know? Our friends? Shouldn’t you give them some warning?” Chanyeol’s words escaped him in a barely comprehensible rush and Kyungsoo whirled, hands akimbo. 

“Enough Park Chanyeol - do not start making me question myself! You know I have had enough of that. Everyone has plenty of time to absorb the news, Yeol. There is still a month left before winter break starts.”

Chanyeol floundered for a moment - if the air of turmoil that surrounded him could take on a physical form, it would have been that of a large beach ball, inflated to the point of rupture, until suddenly, as if he had been punctured, all the tension seemed to leak out of him. Chanyeol breathed out before smiling regretfully. 

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to make you second guess yourself or anything. I’m just concerned, you know, because I care. Mostly I was thinking of how much Jongdae will complain when he finds out.”

Kyungsoo released a tension imbued breath of air himself before smiling up at his friend. “Yeah, I understand. Don’t worry about it. And Jongdae will survive” he rolled his eyes.

Chanyeol sighed, the two men having come to a stop in front of the principals office. “I’m being greedy, I know its really because I’m going to be lonely.” He reached out and clapped Kyungsoo on the shoulder, expression earnest. “I have absolute faith in you and your crazy plans.”

Kyungsoo laughed. “Thanks Yeol.” He turned towards the door then, in a quick breath. “Lets get this over and done with before I wuss out like usual.”

“I’ll see you up at the staff room!” Chanyeol called once Kyungsoo had strode over and knocked. The dark haired english teacher could barely respond, his insides seemed to have turned to jelly. 

“Come in!”

Kyungsoo took a moment to steel himself before entering.

It was the exact same as he last recalled it - organised and clean, a reflection of Joonmyeon’s meticulous tendencies. Stacks of paper were placed in what Kyungsoo assumed were orderly piles on the desk - being Joonmyeon, probably by date and relevance. Joonmyeon sat behind aforementioned desk, crease between his brows and pen in hand as he looked over a stack of awards in front of him. 

“Morning, Joonmyeon.” Kyungsoo called lightly as he closed the door behind him. Joonmyeon looked up at the sound of his voice.

“Oh, Kyungsoo, you’re here early.” Joonmyeon looked surprised, his pen coming to a momentary stop against the award he had been signing. “Take a seat” he gestured smoothly at the chair across from him.

“Yes, I wanted to talk to you before the students got here -” Kyungsoo pulled out the chair and sunk into it gratefully, eyeing the stack of awards with barely concealed horror once settled. “Looks like you’ve got your work cut out for you.”

Joonmyeon sighed. “The end of year presentation ceremony is coming up and each and every single one of these babies need a principals signature.” Thinly veiled exhaustion seeped into his tone. “And seeing as I’m acting headmaster...” he trailed off, instead opting to sweep his hand in the direction of the small mountain of paper. “I think I’m going to have carpal tunnel by the time I’m done.”

Kyungsoo grimaced sympathetically. “Have you been here signing them for long?”

“I think I got here around seven thirty, maybe?”

“You’re a hard worker, Joonmyeon.” Kyungsoo said in admiration.

Joonmyeon smiled slightly at that. “Well thanks, I’m glad you think so.” His expression settled quickly, however, and his gaze on Kyungsoo was all business when he next spoke. “So, it appears we’ve gotten a little sidetracked - what brings you here?”

Where to start? For a moment, the inside of Kyungsoo’s head raced with an uncontrolled tirade of thoughts. He quickly gathered himself, however, and settled for the easiest, most simple explanation:

“I’m here to notify you of my intention to resign.”

Joonmyeon’s expression went blank with shock - but then, to Kyungsoo’s utter and total bewilderment, the beautiful acting headmaster leant back in his seat and laughed.

He laughed. Genuinely laughed, as if what Kyungsoo had just told him was the funniest thing he had heard all week.

“J-Joonmyeon?!”

"Sorry,” Joonmyeon managed to chuckle out as he simultaneously pulled open the top drawer of his desk, his hand emerging with an envelope. “You just surprised me, is all.” He held the envelope up so that the very-confused Kyungsoo could take it in - “You too, huh?”

For a moment, Kyungsoo didn’t understand - but then, it clicked.

“You're planning on resigning too?!” he gasped.

Joonmyeon grinned - it was the most cheerful Kyungsoo had ever seen him - “Indeed I am.”

“No way!” Kyungsoo all but gasped.

Joonmyeon laughed, that was, until the phone on his desk started to ring. “Sorry, I better take this-” his expression was apologetic yet amused as he answered the call.

“Kim Joonmyeon speaking” Joonmyeon’s tone was instantly serious despite the upwards curv

Please log in to read the full chapter