Chapter 25.

Enamoured
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 25.

It was surprising to Kyungsoo just how quickly the week went. He had to credit Minseok in his planning – the math teacher had undeniably done a marvellous job in organising activities that were as fulfilling as they were tiring (and life threatening). As a result, the days had passed in what felt like a blur. If the activities held during the day weren’t sufficiently enough, Kyungsoo had also come to experience for himself first hand just how consuming it was to be surrounded by teenage boys who were excited and keen in a non-school environment. He had spent several nights stomping through the campsite, scolding students for being up after the ten PM curfew that had been set and even chasing several teens back to the tents they had snuck out from. It was exhausting, to say the least, and it was exactly for that reason that Kyungsoo found himself on Friday afternoon, staring out across the sand blankly as he lathered sunscreen onto his skin. He had been entirely submerged in his own thoughts, most of which were focussed around wanting sleep, blocking out the raucous sound of teenage boys (probably) trying to drown one another in the water and what he would be making for dinner now that his food supplies were running low on the last day of camp, which was exactly why he had been so violently jolted to awareness by a voice behind him. 

“Last day, huh?”

Kyungsoo turned, looking rather foolish with a splodge of sunscreen not properly rubbed in on his cheek. “Oh, Joonmyeon,” he said as means of greeting. The dark haired English teacher hadn’t really interacted with the poised head science teacher since their last beach conversation – he had been far too occupied with camp activities. Only now on the last day of camp in the predetermined free time was he finally able to sit still enough to fall into conversation with anyone. “I can’t believe how quickly it’s passed. A whole week almost done and dusted. I have no idea how we’re going to get all the students back into focus for their exams.”

Joonmyeon’s face twitched. “That’s certainly true. You’ve got some sunscreen on your face by the way.”

“Eh?” Kyungsoo exclaimed, instinctively moving in an attempt to smooth over the sunscreen he had left on his face.

“No, other side – no, not there— further to the right—” Joonmyeon gave up with a sigh, reaching out to rub the sunscreen himself. Kyungsoo struggled to hide his surprise. “I was so glad when Minseok announced this afternoon as free.” Joonmyeon continued plainly after only a slight pause during which he had rubbed in Kyungsoo’s sunscreen with a thumb.

Kyungsoo quickly collected himself. “Me too.” The dark haired English teacher smiled, his weariness all too obvious. “I hope the students will be tired out after all this—” he motioned around himself with a wave of his hand “so that I might actually get a good night’s sleep.”

Joonmyeon actually laughed at that. “I wouldn’t count on it.” Kyungsoo realised then that the acting headmaster was also looking rather tired – there were dark rings under his eyes – obviously the camp activities and weeks’ worth of late nights had taken their toll on him also. “There’s always napping on the bus tomorrow on the way back, though.”

Kyungsoo huffed. “I guess that might be the way to go, I suppose.” He finished rubbing in the last of the sunscreen he had squeezed onto the palm of his hand before deftly recapping his tube of sunscreen. "Are you planning on swimming?”

“Hm?” Joonmyeon said, turning his head back to Kyungsoo. He had been looking the opposite direction, as if distracted. “What was that, sorry?” There was a slight furrow between his eyebrows that hadn’t been there previously.

Kyungsoo frowned slightly, peering around Joonmyeon as discretely as he could while repeating his question. “I was wondering if you were planning on going swimming.”

“Oh, not particularly. I simply came to the beach on a whim, really. You?”

“No, more like get a tan? Or something like that?” Kyungsoo sounded side-tracked himself, his eyes still trained in the direction Joonmyeon had been looking. The only thing of noticeable interest was that of a small group of students who stood beneath one of the salt-hardy trees that grew slightly up from the stretch of sand and water. There were an assortment of towels draped under the lower branches and spread out across the sand beneath it – the tree was obviously been used for the shade it provided.

Ah.

Kyungsoo understood now.

Jongin was one of the teens beneath the tree. He stood, leaning against its trunk, glaring at his half-brother despite the rather large distance separating them. Kyungsoo could practically feel the teen’s dark aura – it was rather unnerving.

“I wonder what’s wrong with Jongin.” The words left Kyungsoo’s mouth without him having really thinking out the consequences. He immediately felt a rush of awkward horror.

Much to his surprise, Joonmyeon didn’t react as he had anticipated. Instead, the acting headmaster merely sighed, sounding tired in more ways than one. “It’s probably because of me. The relationship between us is hostile, to say the least.”

“Oh?” Kyungsoo’s voice came out sounding higher pitched than he meant for it to. Of course he knew already that there was an undeniable tension between the two Kim half-siblings – he had witnessed himself just how cold Joonmyeon could be to his half-brother. But for Joonmyeon to admit to their unstable relationship, even if it was under the guise of student teacher interactions… of course, Kyungsoo had to keep reminding himself that Joonmyeon didn’t actually know that he knew about the family relationship between the two. His conscience was yelling at him to seize the chance – why not push the boundaries somewhat, his internal monologue asked him as he fumbled for something more to say. Joonmyeon was the one who had more of less paved the route of conversation, after all, it supplied. Kyungsoo caved. “Why’s that?”

Joonmyeon grimaced. “It’s rather messy.”

Kyungsoo attempted to act light. “How so? What, did you scold him a little too much one day in class?” internally he was banging his head against a wall – he felt terribly awkward.

Joonmyeon didn’t seem to notice however – Kyungsoo thanked all the known gods. “No, no…” his grimace deepened before his face went suddenly blank. He turned his head to direct his suddenly scorching gaze onto the dark haired English teacher beside him. “He’s my brother.”

“Wh-what?!” Kyungsoo choked momentarily. His mind went blank. Why? Why was Joonmyeon telling him?! Kyungsoo could barely process what was happening.

Joonmyeon continued, as if he hadn’t noticed, the words almost pouring from his mouth. “Half-brother to be precise. I won’t go into detail – as I said, it’s messy. I will tell you, though, that his animosity is understandable, so don’t worry yourself over it.” Joonmyeon sighed, his previously tense posture all of a sudden entirely relaxed. It was as if he had shed a great burden – Kyungsoo wondered vaguely then if that was how the acting headmaster viewed his half-brother – as a burden. He tried not to dwell on it.

“O-oh. I’m guessing you don’t want me to tell anyone?” Kyungsoo winced internally for being so deceitful. Once more his conscience piped up, telling him that it wasn’t exactly his fault he knew – Yifan was the one who had spilled the beans, after all – he couldn’t, no, he shouldn’t, feel guilty for knowing.

“Yes, I would appreciate that. At least for now.” Joonmyeon appeared to be in thought. “You are already probably aware of the falling out I had with Yifan – there seems, after all, no secrets at Malhana” he winced slightly “—I regret how things turned out. I’m not good with people but I’d like to try to improve, if possible, fix things, so to speak.”

“I understand.” Kyungsoo murmured.

Joonmyeon sighed. “Consider this as me trying, I suppose? Sorry if I’ve made you uncomfortable.” The acting headmaster’s lips quirked up slightly – it was a smile, albeit weak. “I guess this camp has been a rather eye opening experience. Seeing all the interactions between people has made me realise how little effort and thought I’ve been putting in.”

“No, I think it’s a good step forward. Being open and truthful is all a part of being a stable adult, after all. Its good you’ve come to that conclusion now rather than never.” Kyungsoo nodded to himself. It was an interesting development, to say the least.

“I’m glad you think so… it’s reassuring to be told that.” Joonmyeon replied. “I guess another reason I’m going to try to be a little more communicative and involved is to do with family affairs too –  I’ve been unnecessarily… unfair.”

Kyungsoo couldn’t help the excitement that coloured his tone when he spoke next. “Really?! That’s a good thing, Joonmyeon!” Surely he meant Jongin?

Joonmyeon raised a surprised eyebrow at his colleagues tone but didn’t question Kyungsoo on his apparent enthusiasm. “Yes, well, I feel like opening up to people – slowly – is a step that needs to be made.”

The dark haired English teacher nodded in agreement, turning back to the water with a small smile curving his lips. In that moment there was hope in his heart – it was a start, and it made him feel warm.

 

 

Kyungsoo had never stood waist deep in cold sea water in the dark, but Chanyeol, being one of the most spontaneous people he knew, had suggested it at 8:23 PM exactly and Kyungsoo hadn’t had it in him to refuse. They had walked down to the beach, mindful of the behaviour of the students around them before wading out into the water a short distance. It was oddly peaceful – Kyungsoo had decided, that was, if one could block out the sounds of Park Chanyeol’s constant cha—

“Have you ever thought about what sea water must be made up of? We’re pretty much standing in dead sea creatures and piss.”

Kyungsoo sighed, the peace thoroughly broken. “No, Chanyeol, I hadn’t, but now that you’ve mentioned it I probably won’t ever forget”

Chanyeol grumbled something but his deep voice was easily caught up and carried off by the gentle thrum of the waves hitting the beach and the nearby rock pools. Kyungsoo huffed, squinting slightly into the vast darkness before him. “I talked to Joonmyeon today.”

“Oh?”

“He was surprisingly nice. There have been some… developments.”

Chanyeol had moved over a little closer to Kyungsoo in the water so that he could hear – he was genuinely interested, it seemed. “What kind of developments?”

“Positive ones, I think. He was telling me about how he hopes to open up a little more to people, be a bit more involved with his family… that kind of stuff.”

“That is good.” Surprise coloured Chanyeol’s tone. “Taken a while for him, huh?”

Kyungsoo snorted, bobbing slightly as a wave washed past. Chanyeol didn’t seem to have the same problem – he was taller, both feet still firmly placed in the sand below the water. “I suppose he has. Goes to show that humans never do stop evolving.”

Chanyeol grinned at him through the dark. “Forever growing up, you mean?”

“Yeah, that.” Kyungsoo agreed easily. “Nothing is set in stone – opinions and views are always susceptible to modification and personalities are never truly static. People really do change, no matter what age.” Kyungsoo surmised simply.

“You know, you sorta creep me out sometimes, Soo. You’re normal most of the time until all of a sudden you’re spouting wisdom like some old man.”

Kyungsoo laughed. “And you’re always surprising me with your stupidity, Yeol.”

Chanyeol grumbled something unintelligible once more. Kyungsoo couldn’t help but grin, closing his eyes after a moment as the sea breeze hit him. “This was one of your better ideas, Yeol.”

“Better ideas?”

“Coming to the beach at night. It’s refreshing.”

“Yes, well…” Chanyeol sighed, sounding distracted. “Refreshment time is over, we have company.”

Kyungsoo turned, confused. Chanyeol motioned vaguely back to the shore at the large group of teens who had just arrived. They were visible only by the torches they were holding. “They’re going in the opposite direction, towards the rock pools, I think.”

Kyungsoo groaned. “Teenage boys and rock pools in the dark aren’t a good c

Please log in to read the full chapter