Chapter 4

Beauty And The Beasts
"It's so cold... So very cold won't you open your door for a weary wanderer," says a shadowy man in a cloak.

The snow outside reaches the top steps to my home, the frigid wind blows in the cabin.

"My husband... He's out collecting firewood, I apologize, I can't let you enter," I reply in a foreign language, the hooded man lowers his head and backs away.

"Wait!" I scream, but to no avail, he slips and falls head first on the ice.

A small amount of blood leaves his face as he tries to balance himself, I realize to myself an injured man is less dangerous than a healthy one.

I pull him into the warm cabin and lock the door, I boost him up into a chair; surprisingly he's very light.

Making my way to the bathroom, I search for a first aid kit, standing up and I see the 'injured' stranger in the mirror.

He steps towards me as I face him, he leans in and whispers, "Not today Lori."

The heat gets stronger as he moves away from my ear.

"I don't know who Lori is, but you better leave or my husband wil-"

"What's your husbands name?"

The realization crashes down to me, who am I?

"I remember, Arthur... Arthur Jordan! And I'm Lori... Lori Allen!"

"Now think Lori why would it be so hard to think of something as easy as your name," he says backing away.

"I'm not Lori! I'm...Eunji! Eunji Lee; no, no, Lee Eunji."

"Eunji, where are you?"

"In the United States of America, current president John F. Kennedy, handsome young thang, I voted for him." I say with a new southern accent.

"Snap out of it."

"Wait... No, I-I don't I thought I was goin' home."

"And..?"

"I died."

The coldness and light start to surround me, the man grabs my shoulders and shouts, "EXPERGISCERE!"





-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



        I jolt  up screaming as a cold set of hands press down on my forehead, restraints are wrapped around my wrists.
My vision is a blur, I can't make anything out other than the shapes of the figures that stand beside me, the figures talk in a gurgle as they move around the room. The pressure on my chest is near to unbearable, I open my mouth to speak up; but only moans come out.
I try to call out for help, dark figures stand still and murmur to themselves.
Blood rushes through my body and it gets harder to breath, the middle of my chest tightens.

Everything gets dark.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first thing my ears were able  to pick up on is the humming, the lights above me flickered on and off, as I came to.

Remembering where I was I tensed up, where was I?

Lying on a damp floor I sit up.

I reflect back my last known memory; "That creepy guy..." I say to myself realizing my situation.

Jumping up and I look around the dark, dimly lit room I am in.

The first thought that runs into my head is: I was kidnapped.

Pacing around I begin to hyperventilate, "Where am I! What time is it right now... Am I even anywhere near home." I say rapidly.

My mind flashes back to grade school and Junior High school, all of the times they were forced to show us videos on how to avoid predators and how to defend yourself when coming across one.

I try to remember the one about getting abducted,"F-first step: Observation..."

Trying to be silent, I move towards the first sound of life, I can hear multiple voices.

"They can help me!"

"Wait, what if they're my abductors? I can't."

Pacing around rapidly, I seem to forget the rest of the steps,"The last step was to get rescued..." I groan.

With the noise dying down, I take this as my final moment to do something, I scream at the top of my lungs.

I switch the lights off and hide in a dark corner.

Hearing the loud scurry of feet moving my heart beats faster,
Well, this is it.

A figure moves around in the dark, quickly scanning the room missing the blind spot in the corner. He grunts and runs back upstairs, "HYUNGS!!"
 
I don't realize I'm holding my breath until my lungs let out a gasp. I take no time to get into a running position and I bolt up the stairs, running through the dimly lit home everything looked blurry, I could feel the cold breeze from outside, someone idiotically left the door open.

Springing down to the steps and running with my eyes shut I finally open them.

Doing a full 360 realizing I probably wasn't in Seoul.

Suddenly news of my escape reaches my kidnappers.

With a bolt of energy I run. My legs are crying, but my will to survive is screaming at me.

I reach a dirt road which intersected with a wooded area.

Stopping finally catching my breath and pushing hair out of my face.

The scampering of feet causes my legs to bolt into the woods not listening to any logic my brain had.

Maneuvering through the rocks and trees, I go as fast as possible to survive.

The next step was steeper than I thought, so I twist my ankle and fall.

Wincing, I continue to walk along, adrenaline masking all my pain.

The faint sound of flowing water fills my ears.

If I go towards the water there maybe someone that will help me.

Quickly I move with the sound getting louder, a few feet later I am several yards above a river.

Tears fall down my face, seeing no other way out of the situation, I jump.