Date with a stranger

Love Collection

 

I have no idea how many times have I look at my watch, this boy who is my mum’s friend son, a timid mama boy who have trouble making friends with girls and my mum decides to organize a date with her daughter here who has no trouble getting a boyfriend. As much as I don’t want to go on this date with a guy whom I haven’t seen before but the deal is I go on this date and I’m allow to go on the weekend party with my friends.

 

Here I am standing in front of the fountain, a usual couples meeting place holding a damn red rose as a symbol. What the heck is this old fashion trick? This clearly explains the type of guy I’m dating today, an old fashion mama boy.

 

He’s 30 minutes late and I’m getting really impatient about this. Usually it’s the guy waiting for the girl but now it’s the opposite. My legs are giving up so I just sat myself on the steps and play with my phone. If he won’t show up in another 10 minutes I am seriously going to leave.

 

“Hi…” I heard a quite charming husky voice. Instantly I shot my head up meeting a boy with black hair, loose t-shirt, black & white stripe jacket and skinny jeans. I stared at him from toes to head thinking he’s quite trendy, no as bad as what I thought. Then my eyes landed on his face, what the heck? It’s not a boy but a GIRL!?

 

I stood up straight not believing what kind of date my mum set me up with. Who would have thought a mother would set her daughter up with another girl? I look down seeing if she’s holding a red rose, I might be mistaken, I kept telling that to myself. Oh ! My eyes then spotted the red rose. I mentally face palmed myself, alright if I want to go to the weekend party I must go on this date.

 

“You know I’ve been waiting for 30 minutes? Come on let’s go before the sun sets.” I threw the red rose that I was holding at him… I mean her and then just drag her away.

 

“Look I’m really tired and hungry now, I’ve been waiting for half an hour and now I need food.” I kept dragging her to the nearest cafe I can see on the street.

 

I found quite a good-looking café after a 2 minutes walk and I just drag her along with me the entire time without saying a word. Once I got inside I ordered anything and everything that looks good on the menu. I don’t care because she’s going to pay.

 

“Can I have this, this, this and this.” I was too lazy to read the names out so I just pointed it to the waiter. I close the menu after I ordered everything I want and I shot a look at the girl.

 

“I’m not really hungry so I’ll just have an orange juice.” She smiled weakly at the waiter.

 

The waiter left and now it’s only the two of us. I was looking at her and she was looking back at me.

 

“What’s your name?”

 

“My name is…”

 

“Argh… don’t worry about it. I don’t think we’re ever going to meet again after today.” I cut her off before she gets to say her name out. I mean why would I even bother to remember her name when she’s going to be a stranger I dated for a day?

 

Not knowing what else to say I just took my phone out and starts texting on Twitter.

 

OMFG the date my mum set me up with IT’S A GIRL!

 

This is so awkward T_____T

 

I kept spamming my followers with random rants and replying backs to ones who replied me until I can smell food coming. I shove the phone back into my bag and made space for the food to set on the table. I quickly reach for the fork and began eating the food without caring the girl sitting opposite. I was so hungry so I just kept eating and eating until I finished every bits of food on the plate even the salads used for decoration. I slurped the last sip of my fruit smoothies before landing my back on the seat.

 

I’m so full!

 

I look at the girl she was just sipping her orange juice through the straw like a little kid.

 

How cute.

 

“Since you made me wait, your treat.” I wipe my mouth with the napkin before standing up on my feet ready to leave.

 

I thought she would at least protest about it but she didn’t, she just obediently took her wallet out and paid for everything.

 

“So what do you want to do now… for our date?”

 

Do? So she hasn’t planned anything beforehand? Oh my god, I think this is the worst date I ever had. Frist I waited for 30 minutes then happens to find out my date is a girl and now she hasn’t planned anything for it.

 

“Where ever you want to go.” I said not bothered to think about it. If it were my worst date why would I even bother to waste my brain cells thinking of what to do?

 

She stayed silent and we just walk down the street while my eyes wonder around the busy street.

 

“I know!” She suddenly said which took me in surprise.

 

She excitedly held onto my hand and this time it was her turn to drag me to a place.

 

“Hey let me go!” I shouted but she smiled at me as she continues to drag me to the place. I gave up shouting and just let her take in control. I stared at our linked hands; her hand feels so soft and warm. I then look at her face she has a cute smile too.

 

We walked for a distance into a shopping center and finally stopped in front of a counter. I took a peek inside and gosh we’re at an ice rink, no wonder I feel the chills.

 

No way I’m going to skate!

 

Before I can say so I was dragged inside.

 

“What is your size?” She asked me.

 

I studied her face for a few seconds. Are you nuts? Bringing a girl to the ice rink for the first date? As I’ve heard ice rink is best for couples to have skinship but definitely not a place for a first date.

 

Before I get back to reality she already took me to measure my feet and even got the skates from the counter.

 

“Here you go.” She gave me a dorky smile.

 

I force a smile and took the pair of skates. What the heck am I doing? Am I really going to skate? I have learned skating when I was young but I haven’t been skating for over 10 years now and I don’t know how well I can do. I might fall down on my and bruise myself. Definitely not good especially I’m going to my weekend party with a short dress.

 

I was sitting on the chair still hesitating if I should tell her that I don’t want to skate but she look so happy that I cannot just reject her especially she paid for everything already. Seeing that I wasn’t moving she took the pair of skates in her hands and kneel down in front.

 

“It’s going to be uncomfortable without socks.” She said looking at my sandles.

 

“Just wait here.” She said and left to the counter walking in a weird way with her skates on. My eyes never left her sight, I saw her talking to the lady behind the counter then she took her wallet out and paid for something. With a happy smile on her face she came back with a pair of white socks with rainbow polkadots.

 

“Now this will be comfortable.” She said while unwrapping the plastic.

 

Honestly I’m a bit touched on how considerate she is. We all know that you can borrow socks here but it’s kind of unhygienic since we don’t know who wore it before even if it’s washed.

 

She finished unwrapping the plastic and lifts my foot up removing my sandles. Like a princess she puts the rainbow polkadots sock on for me before putting on the skates.

 

“All done.” She patted on the pair of skates then showed me another dorky smile. I think I blushed at that moment.

 

She took my handbag, my pair of sandles and her sport shoes to the locker. Throwing everything inside she came back with the same excited face.

 

“Come on let’s go.” She gave me a light pull.

 

I stood up and followed behind to the entrance of the ice rink. I’m glad I had decide to wear pants today otherwise I’ll be freezing to death. But this thin layer of shirt I’m wearing isn’t helping. I can see goosebumps forming on my arms. We both got on the ice rink and immediately held onto the handrail. Feeling the slipperiness I kind of miss ice-skating. Back then I used to love it so much that I would skate every day after school. As much as I want to move but my legs feel so stiff and I’m so cold to move.

 

“Here wear this.” She handed me her black & white stripe jacket. My heart skipped a beat as I reach my stiff cold hand for the jacket. I put it on, even though it was thin but somehow really warms me up. I look back at her and she already skated away.

 

She’s only wearing a sleeveless shirt inside.

 

“OUCH!” I giggled seeing her landing on her .

 

So she doesn’t know how to ice-skate and she brought me here.

 

Naturally, I skated towards her I did a little 360 spins stopping in front of her. I reach my hand out in front of her. She looks up showing a painful look.

 

“You know how to skate?” She asked and grab onto my hand.

 

I pull her up using all my strength. It was tough but I manage to do so without falling down.

 

“You don’t know how to skate?”

 

“Nope but I always wanted to try.” She brushed the cold ice on her and pull out a grin.

 

I rolled my eyes. She was acting all cool before like she’s the best skater and the next second she tells me she can’t skate.

 

“Come on just hold on tight.” Our hands are still connected, I held tight onto her hand as I guide her to skate.

 

I skated slowly and at the same time teaching her how to move her feet so she wouldn’t fall again.

 

“Oh my god! I’m skating!” She shouted like a kid. I just chuckled seeing her skate awkwardly in a form that she will fall anytime.

 

I think I’m starting to enjoy this date.

 

We skated for an hour or longer. I can tell she’s a fast learner because from not knowing how to skate she now can skate on her own without my guide. We got really tired from skating and she got tired from falling down so much that we need a break. We skated back and left the ice rink to the benches.

 

“This is so fun.” She said and tiredly plop herself on the bench spreading her legs wide.

 

“You hungry? Want to eat something?” She asked.

 

Even though I ate a lot in the café but I’m feeling hungry again. I shyly nod my head and she just smiled. She pushes herself up from the bench and awkwardly walks to the locker. Shortly she came back with our shoes and my bag. She put everything on the bench and squad down to take my skates off.

 

“It’s okay I can do it myself.” I gave her a shy smile.

 

“You can throw that away if you want.” She said pointing to the pair of rainbow polkadots socks she brought.

 

After putting back our shoes on she took the skates to return them back to the counter. I folded the socks neatly together and place it inside my bag; somehow I want to keep this pair of socks.

 

We went to a restaurant, not anything fancy just a normal Korean restaurant. Maybe because I just used a lot of energy for skating I felt extremely hungry.

 

“You sure eat a lot for a skinny girl.” I heard her speak.

 

My mouth was stuffed with rice and I look up at her with the spoon still inside my mouth. I quickly chewed the food and swallow it down.

 

“Are you trying to say I’m a big eater?” I faked an angry expression.

 

“No, it’s good that you eat. All my previous girlfriends always try to stop themselves eating a lot scared that they get fat.” She explained.

 

Girlfriends huh? No wonder she knows how to turn a girl into a princess.

 

“Well nothing can stop me from eating. Even if I gain weight I’ll just work it off.” I shove another spoonful of rice in my mouth.

 

We had quite a great time eating and talking about random things but the funny thing is I still don’t know her name. I ate to the fullest and once again she paid. The entire date I didn’t even spent a penny, I kind of felt guilty for that but when I tried to pay her back she wouldn’t take my money.

 

Looking at the sky that turned dark I know it’s time to end the date.

 

“You sure you don’t need me to take you home?” She asked again and once again I shook my head.

 

We’re at the bus stop now, a bus to my house takes 30 minutes and if she takes me home and come back it’ll her an hour. I didn’t want to end the date with her and honestly I want another date with her.  But before I could take up my courage to ask the bus arrived.

 

“Your bus is here.”

 

She waved at me and I unwillingly wave back. I turn around and hop in the bus, my eyes kept looking out the window at the girl but in a split second she’s gone.

 

Is she really in a hurry to leave?

 

I was disappointed.

 

“I think you forgot to give me back my jacket.” I heard the familiar voice and immediately shot my head up to the direction of the voice. There she is, sitting right beside me flashing her dorky smile.

 

“But you can give it back to me once you get off the bus.”

 

I couldn’t help to spread my lips wide knowing that she’s still by my side. We didn’t spoke a word afterward and just ride the bus silently. It didn’t feel awkward at all but instead it felt sweet. When it’s my stop I hop off the bus and she followed. I know I should tell her not to but the selfish me just want her by side a little longer. We walk in the street with dim light silently; I just stared at our moving shadow. It was only a 5 minutes walk before I reach to my house.

 

“It’s here.” I spoke softly.

 

I took off the black & white stripe jacket that has been keeping me warm back to her. She reaches her hand out to grab it and our fingers slight touched. Her fingers was so cold, she must be freezing wearing that and she even gave me her jacket.

 

“Can I ask for your name?” My cheeks start to burn just by simply asking for her name.

 

“Amber, remember it.” She wore her jacket before speaking.

 

I was going to ask for her number but before I could open my mouth I suddenly felt her lips sealing mine. Our lips just touched, no moment at all until I finally register what happened and pulled her close tasting her lips. I felt her hands hugging on my waist and her lips responding back. Somehow it’s weird that I’m kissing a girl I just met today but everything felt right.

 

“KRYSTAL WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THAT BOY!?”

 

I instantly push Amber away upon hearing my mother’s angry screaming voice from the back.

 

“!” I cursed.

 

Even though my mother set this date up but who wouldn’t get furious to see her daughter kissing someone she just dated for a day.

 

Amber showed her usual smirk. She quickly leans in giving me a last peck. “I’ll call you later, Krystal.” She whispered with her husky voice that sounded so y to me.

 

I don’t know how she can call me without knowing my number but before I can question her she ran away disappearing off in the corner of the street.

 

“Who is that boy you kissed?” I heard my mum’s voice close from behind.

 

I turn around and saw her holding a garbage bag with water dripping. I don’t even know why mum asked when she knows the answer herself.

 

“Mum you set me up on a date today, who else could it be?” I rolled my eyes.

 

“Stop lying. I got a call from Aunty Lee just then and said her son didn’t go to the date.” She gave me the tell-me-the-truth glare.

 

WHAT? HE DIDN’T GO? SO WHO THE HECK DID I GO ON A DATE WITH?

---------------

A/N: There will be another one-shot on Amber's POV. I probably won't put all the details on the date and just focus on Amber's thoughts.