07

The Little Bumblebee

The real thing


You narrow your eyes at the boy. You want to grill Kai but seeing how afraid he is (for no reason), you let it go. You nod as an answer to having a movie marathon while eating ice cream, and he gives you a smile. But the smile is wavering, almost like he isn't sure what he's doing. You let him pull you towards the refrigerator. As he grabs the ice cream tub, you stretch to get spoons. He turns off the kitchen lights as you walk into his room.

Kai fumbles with the television in the dark while you settle in his bed, pulling the blanket up to your chin. The two dogs are also cozying in their little dog beds Kai bought for them, right beside the bed. When Kai turns on the TV, he sits next to you with the remote in his hand. He flips through the movies and you can't help but notice how nervous he seems to be. He can't make up his mind and you want to shake him, shout at him to calm down. But you don't because he turns to you, causing you to remain still at his gaze.

"Is this movie okay?"

You see that the screen has the movie poster of Interstellar. You normally don't watch these kind of movies and Kai knows it. But since Kai probably wants to watch it, you shrug. He plays it and leans back against the head board. His arm is touching yours only slightly and yet you can feel the spark running up your arm, to the back of your neck. Your hair is standing.

At times like this, you're not sure whether to move away from him or to go closer. You know it's crazy because you like this feeling but yet you feel that if you go even closer, he's going to fry your insides just by being him.

You open the tub of ice cream and hand him a spoon. Your fingers touch his and you clamp your lips together, feeling your heart skip a beat. Being the gentleman he is, Kai holds up the tub instead. Ignoring the fluttering butterflies in your stomach, you move closer towards him. You feel him stiffen. Unconsciously, you turn to him. His eyes are looking straight ahead at the movie, pretending to be immersed in the movie. You let him think he's working because he actually looks pretty miserable right now. 

The movie had only started and yet your head is already on Kai's shoulder. You're half-conscious even as you feed yourself more ice cream. Kai suppresses the laughter that is threatening to arise as he sees you struggle to eat ice cream. Unconsciously, the tension between the two of you had dissipated somewhere between the talking of the characters in the movie. Kai is relaxed now and you feel a lot better since the boy next to you is back to his normal self. 

"Stop forcing yourself, sweetheart," Kai chuckles breathily against your ear, his lips grazing your earlobe. 

You glance up at him sleepily, "I'll go keep the ice cream then, okay?" 

Kai nods. You get up tiredly, trudging to the refrigerator with the spoons and ice cream tub in hand. You fumble for the light switch, only to groan when the lights start to blind you. You sigh, opening the cold chamber of the freezer and stuffed the tub into it. Then, you quickly give the spoons a wash and shove them into the dry rack. You're ready for bed but you remember you have a movie to get back to. Sighing, you turn off the lights and make your way to Kai again. Only this time, you're met with a pitch black room. 

"Kai?" You softly call out, feeling blind because of the sudden contrast of the light your eyes were accustomed to before. 

"Come here, sweetheart," you hear Kai's soft murmur. You try to get to him but end up falling on top of him instead. He chuckles, "Gotcha, little chick." 

You sigh in content, letting Kai wrap his strong arms around your waist and flipping to the side so that you are facing each other. He's still tightly holding onto you. You're almost falling asleep when Kai presses his warm lips firmly against your forehead. Your eyes widen and your heartbeat accelerates. Sleep isn't going to come easy now. But then again, it is probably Kai's intention because he starts talking. 

"Sweetheart," he starts breathlessly. You hum in acknowledgment. "I just wanna clarify something." You hum again, giving him the permission to carry on. He clears his throat awkwardly. There is a dead beat of silence before he asks softly. "You still like me, right? And you don't have any feelings for Sehun?" You freeze in his arms. "I... Just... Please answer me." 

Should you just do it? Confess to him now? There's nothing to lose, right? He already knows you like him. You swallow, "Y-yeah." 

You're not sure if the loud thudding is coming from your chest or his. It is so quiet that the only sound you can hear is that. You don't even want to look up at Kai. But you do so anyway. He is looking at you with a fond expression and his eyes are glistening in the darkness. You let out a gasp when Kai ducks to get a taste of your lips in his. He presses you closer to his body as his fingers smooth your bare skin at your back where your shirt had ridden up. 

"Then... Would you consider it crazy if I asked you to be my girlfriend?" Kai says it all out in one breath and yet you understand him clearly.

And you're stunned. 

Kai? Asking you to be his girlfriend? What? Has this earth been tilted off its axis? Kai? He just ask you to be his girlfriend? 

Now, you know that the sounds of rushing of blood and the fast thumping of heartbeat are coming from your chest. You had fantasised this moment in every nice dream you've had. But you know it is impossible, so you keep these dreams to the back of your mind where you'll just preserve them as beautiful dreams. You had believed with all your might that Kai doesn't like you. He can't. He's practically a deity, what with his good looks and charisma and all that jazz. And you're not that fantastic either. 

You're just average-looking, you have an okay body. Your skin is as oily as Chanyeol's seafood pancake (that is saying a lot) in summer and as dry as Chanyeol's humour (which is also saying a lot) in winter. The colours on your nails are always peeling and you always get back to painting them only once an entire finger's coat has vanished. You're really not worth anyone's attention. Not to mention, with all the other girls you see on campus, you're pretty sure Kai would find a girl a thousand times better than you, especially in terms of looks. 

"I can hear your self-loathing thoughts," Kai chuckles. So, as clarification, he starts off, "You're amazing, you know. I don't get how you see past that point since you're pretty much perfect." You gasp at this and the boy rubs your back softly. He continues, "I feel like I'm not fit to―"

"You're not f― Wha― Kai!" You indignantly yell, punching him in the chest. "I am supposed to feel like I'm not fit to like yo―" 

Kai is kissing you again. Kai is kissing you again!!!

"As I was saying," Kai regains the upperhand as he smirks at how quiet and still you've became. "I feel like I'm not fit to―" You shift uncomfortably. "―like you because of your perfection. I feel like I'm going to taint you with my―"

"If this is a method to get me to say 'Yes, I will be your girlfriend,' I definitely will because," you take a deep breath. "You're not degrading yourself because of me." 

Aren't you being brave right now? You almost want to clap yourself on the back and say, "Good job!" But you don't because Kai lets out a nervous breath. 

"So... Is that a yes?" 

"Yes."

Kai doesn't waste any time. He starts tangling his legs with yours and tilting your face up gently with a push of your chin. Kai kisses you on the lips and you immediately feel the happiness, relief, adoration and love pouring out from his entire being. This is the first time he pulls a move on you as he your bottom lip. You subconsciously grip tightly onto his shirt when you part your lips―an invitation for Kai. Kai's lips twitches against yours and you redden at the thought of him smiling. You're so embarrassed. 

But that thought is erased when Kai pulls slightly away before he even penetrates his tongue into your wet cavern. He captures your lips with his again, this time nibbling on your upper lip. You're so embarrassed.

You're just beyond grateful that it is too dark to see your face. You literally feel like you're exploding because of how red you are. You can't believe what just happened. You had just confessed to Kai and he had just asked you the question you have been wanting to hear all your life (you're exaggerating here but still). You're not sure if you should be nervous or happy. Or maybe both? 

 

 

You groan when you feel the urge to pee. Quickly, you pry the hands locking you in a tight embrace and slip out of the bed. You all but rush to the bathroom. Your eyes aren't even half opened as you flush the toilet and wash your hands. You lead yourself back to the bed based on memory work. You climb under the convers and glue yourself to Kai. Immediately, he wraps his legs around yours and the two of you fall back asleep again. 

Your alarm blares through the room. Both you and Kai groan in annoyance. You bury your face deeper into his chest while throwing the blanket over your head. On the other hand, Kai pulls you in closer and tries to block out the sound with sleep. It doesn't help much. Your furrowed eyebrows smooth into place when the blaring abruptly stops and silence once engulfs you again. 

However, you're not given more time when Kai ruffles your hair. You whine and shake your head. His chest rumbles and a grin slides onto your face unknowingly. His morning voice always makes your heart flutter no matter if you're conscious, unconscious or half-conscious. "Wake up, sweetheart. We have a lecture together, remember?" 

"We can skip it," you mumble. But you know you won't because that's the only time you get to see Kai in school. 

Kai laughs, untangling his legs from yours. Your pout is unseen to him because your chest is pressed into his chiseled chest. You feel yourself being peeled off his body when he explains, "You can sleep longer, okay? I'll go shower first." 

"Hmm," you are content as you flop to his side of the bed, burying your face into his pillow. Kai merely shakes his head at you affectionately. 

You are already dreaming when Kat sits on the bed and shakes you gently awake. "Come on, sweetheart. I don't wanna be late." 

"But―"

You shut up when you feel water dripping on your forehead. You snap your eyes open in annoyance, only to come in contact with Kai's brown orbs. You're mesmerised and Kai definitely understands that. He chuckles, leaning down to peck you on the lips. He straightens his back again and gets his arms that were on either side of your head off the bed. 

"Come on," the male starts drying his hair with his towel. "I wanna show off my girlfriend to the world." Your blush crimson red at that statement. He shouts teasingly behind you as you run to the bathroom, "We'll be wearing couple tees!" 

He was obviously lying about that, of course. In fact, the both of you leave the house wearing different colours. It is as un-coupley as un-couples can go. But no one would doubt your relationship status now if they witness the stolen kisses Kai gives you when you're at a stop light, or the gentle hand and look you have when you help him even out his sunblock, or even the glances you give each other throughout the car ride. 

Soon, the both of you have reached the school compound. Kai is quick to grab your hand and intertwine your fingers with his as he fast-walks to the lecture theatre. You're already six minutes late as it is. You want to complain that Kai is walking too fast with his long legs but then you remind yourself that you're the reason why the both of you are late. When Kai and you enter the hall, the both of you scan for Chanyeol's head. You nudge Kai when you spot Chanyeol and start pulling Kai away this time. 

You plop next to Chanyeol and start getting your materials out of your bags. Chanyeol eyes the both of you suspiciously. For a brat like him, you're sometimes surprised at how smart he is. Because the both of you freeze when the boy speaks up. 

"Why did the both of you come in at the exact same time?"


Author's note:

I know readers hate A/N's and you guys tend to skip this part of the story but I just wanted to inform you guys that...

I'll do 20 chapters instead.

BUT WAIT! Don't get too excited. It's just going to be Chapters 01 - 10 but in Kai's POV. A reader suggested that I should do it and I thought I shall, since you guys are dying to know what Kai is thinking in his (stupid) (and girly) head. 

So uh, I hope you enjoyed this update? (Is this counted as a double update because I'm so proud of myself it's 3AM and I'm tired and I― ok babbling...)

Till next time,
xoxo