four

The Little Bumblebee

Get the girl before she's taken


I was awake and I realised that I had my arm is wrapped around your waist. We weren't too close, but we were closer than we had been yesterday before we fell asleep. If I dipped my head, my forehead would nicely touch your shoulder. That was how intimate we were. I moved away, despite wanting to get closer. But I knew I was eating into your privacy. Even though I thought you might have liked it, I didn't think it was very nice of me to take advantage of you like that. So I just had to settle on keeping my hand on your waist, a gap between our bodies. 

My eyes followed the outline of your body against the light, watching you breathe steadily. Your hair was flowing behind you. I could smell the sweet and aromatic scent of your shampoo. The smell that I had long distinguished as yours. I rubbed my thumb against your smooth skin, already feeling like I was you. But I didn't think I was able to keep my hand off you either. I didn't know how long it was when you woke conscious. I didn't have time to retract my hand, seeing how still you went when you realised that I was touching you. I stopped carressing you, not taking my hand off just in case I startled you. 

But you flipped over quickly, my hand sliding sleekly across your stomach and to the other side of your waist. I enjoyed a moment of staring at your sleeping face. Your eyes were closed and you looked angelic, almost ethereal. When you opened your eyes, all I could do was stare. I looked at you with a soft gaze, in fear that you might break. I gave you a small smile, my gaze flitting over to your lips. You grinned back at me cutely. Your mouth opened to say something, only for you to cough. In a blink of eye, I had moved closer towards you, the gap between us only the breadth of my finger. It was something I did out of reflex, wanting to protect you even though the infection was inside you. 

"You look worst than you did yesterday," I observed, my eyes scanning your face as my hand that had been on your waist caressed your cheek. You still looked beautiful but you were also pale and sickly. 

"That's very nice of you," you rolled your eyes and I chuckled at your teasing. You grinned. 

We stared at each other for a little longer as I pushed a stray hair away. I brushed your hair with my fingers, your silky hair running through my digits like water. A tiny smile was playing on my lips, watching you look at me with wide eyes. You were blinking at a very slow rate, almost as if you didn't want to blink at all lest you forget this moment. 

And I didn't either. The atmosphere was perfect. I could confess to you now, before I was even conscious I was doing it. Then I would just get flustered after that. I brought my hand back to your cheek, rubbing soothing circles on your cheek. "You know," my morning voice was soft and I wanted to cringe at how sandy it sounded. It wasn't cool enough for a confession, but I guess I'd just have to make do. "I―"

We jumped when your phone rang on the bedside table. I groaned softly, pulling my hand away from your face, my moment totally destroyed. You frowned at the annoying ringing and twisted your body to collect your phone. I rolled my eyes when I saw Chanyeol's name on the screen. You answered it quickly, turning back to me. 

We shared an intense stare as you listened well to what Chanyeol was saying. You answered, looking away, "Worst but I'm breathing." I frowned slightly. You should really listen to me and eat medicine. 

I strained my ears, leaning in and I heard Chanyeol saying, "Please tell me that he's at least taking good care of you.

"I am!" I retorted into the receiver. I might have scared you because your eyes were huge and wide when you stared at me. I smirked, liking your reaction. You blushed and I liked it even more. 

"K-Kai's taking g-good-d care of me," you stuttered. 

I quirked my eyebrow in amusement, finding it fascinating how badly you were stuttering. It only made you feel more conscious, so you looked away. I was staring at your rosy cheeks when you teased, "I think I've had enough of Kai."

"Hey!" I whisper-yelled, hoping that you were really just joking. I dropped my eyes to your bare neck and I made my move. I buried my face into the crook of your neck, shaking my head as my nose and lips brushed over your skin, making you giggle. 

Your laughter was music to my ears. Even as you let out a loud shriek and more giggles, I really believed that you might have been one of those mermaids who lured men on ships to their deaths just with your voice. You were flailing your legs and squirming away from me. And I was grinning as I hugged you closer to me and still tickling you. You didn't seem to realise how close we were at that moment and I was a little glad for it. 

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" You shouted, almost to the point of crying. 

I let go of you, leaning away. I beamed victoriously, my eyes teasing. You rolled your eyes bravely and I chuckled. Without even thinking, my hand moved up to your cheek, your smooth skin with my knuckles. 

"Okay," you murmured into the phone, staring at me. "I will. Bye bye." 

You stretched your phone out to me instead of hanging up the call. I took the phone, pressing it to my ear as my eyes followed you before you closed the bedroom door behind you. 

"What's up?" I huffed, throwing myself back on the bed. 

"Did you do anything to her last night? Did you even touch her?" Chanyeol was serious and he was acting like an over-protective brother. To his own best friend. 

"I didn't do anything to her," I groaned. "But I can't say I didn't touch her." 

He might have growled. "You scoundrel!

"I just hugged her to sleep, it wasn't close to intimate!" 

"Hugging someone to sleep sounds intimate to me," he snarled. 

"I didn't hurt her, you know I would never." 

Chanyeol was quiet. Then he sighed, "Of course you wouldn't." I hummed and he told me, "I'm going over tomorrow to visit her. You're coming too?

"I'll come over after my dance practice," I promised. Chanyeol sighed again and I was frustrated. What was it that he wanted to say? "Yah, just say whatever is on your mind."

"When are you gonna put her out of her misery, huh Kai? You know she likes you and you like her too. So why can't you―"

"It's not that easy," I growled. 

"I know it's not, but Kai, you and I both know how our friends look at her. She's a single, gorgeous girl. It's no wonder Sehun―"

"Don't even bring up his name," I threatened. 

"Then do something about this!" Chanyeol yelled into the phone, immediately hanging up thereafter. 

I stared at your phone, wondering what was wrong with Chanyeol. He had always asked me to hurry with my actions but he had never been this annoyed at my cowardice. I sighed, messing my hair, annoyed. Setting your phone back on the bedside table, I washed up quickly and went out to see you flipping pancakes. You hadn't noticed my presence, so I stood at the door, watching you focusing so cutely. 

"I want big pancakes!" I announced all of a sudden, striding towards you. You jumped a little and glared at me. I grinned, "Did I scare you, little chick?"

Your lips screwed up in an adorable manner that was begging me to hug the daylights out of you. You turned back to the pan and I stood next to you, a happy smile on my face. My eyes drifted to the side and saw a stack of pancakes. I stretched behind you, my chest pressed against your shoulder blades. I was practically backhugging you and I was enjoying how still you were. To end you of your misery, I quickly grabbed a pancake and leaned away. I bit into the fluffy cake to hide my smile. 

"Yummy," I praised. Your head turned to me and I was lost momentarily in your eyes. That sounded clichè but it was true. You were staring back at me with a blank look, too. I quickly snapped out of it, holding the cake out to you. 

You took a bite next to my bitten mark. I might just be squealing internally at how it was basically an indirect kiss. You mumbled, looking back down at the pan, "You can start eating, your plate is right there." 

"Mmm," I hummed, watching you nudge the cooking batter on the pan with your spatula. You looked at me, your eyebrows creasing. What's with that face? 

"You don't wanna eat?" 

I shook my head, "I wanna watch you cook. You look extra pretty when you cook."

"Kai..." You sighed, the rosiness on your cheeks were prominent. "Stop it," you bit your lip. 

"Stop what?" I teased. I wanted to extra confirm how much you liked me. Or maybe I just liked seeing you flustered. I would never get bored of the sight of you blushing. 

You shrugged, "I don't know, flirting? With me?"

"I'm not flirting," I scowled. How could you say that when I obviously treated you different than when I was with other girls? I told you honestly, "I'm complimenting you."

"You do that to every other girl, too."

"Yes," I agreed. I had to. Like I said, I didn't like hurting girls and I knew from my sisters how the opposite gender liked receiving praises. And that's the best I could give when I didn't provide girls my attention. You were different; you always got my attention, you always received my heartfelt words. "But I only mean what I say to you. I always mean what I say when I talk to you." I was serious about all I said and I could only hope you knew that. 

I ducked my head, whispering in your ear, "And I really think you look beautiful." I pecked your cheek quickly and stood upright. Did I just kiss you? Oh my god. I swallowed, risking a glance at your reaction. 

You looked astonished, just as I was. And I didn't blame you. It was a spur of the moment and I did it without thinking. I saw white fog rising from the pan and I quickly informed you, "Sweetheart, the pancake's burning." 

"Huh?" You looked so blank that even though I was nervous, I was also amused. "Oh," you immediately started flipping the pancake. 

"What's going on in your pretty mind, hmm?" I murmured more to myself than you, knowing you wouldn't tell me anything. I tapped my finger on your temple. 

"Are you okay?" You asked the same time I asked the same question. 

Why wouldn't I be okay? Sure, I just did something that I didn't think before making the move, but it wasn't like I regretted it. I was definitely okay, I wasn't the one sick. 

"What do you mean if I'm okay?" I frowned. You shrugged, unsure of what to say as your eyes darted around the room nervously. I grew impatient, so I leant forward and turned off the fire so you couldn't avoid my question by cooking. "Answer me," I demanded not unkindly. 

"You're... I don't know," you stalled, shrugging as you picked the handle of the spatula. You weren't even looking at me and I desperately wanted to grab your face to look at me. I kept my hands to my sides firmly. You finally answered properly, "A lot more... Romantic?" 

Were you right? Thinking back, I probably was. Sure, I treated you differently before, too. But it seemed like my actions now were blown up. Maybe it was because I couldn't take it anymore. I had too much affection for you that I had to let it out somehow. 

You screwed up your face, shaking your head as if dispelling that thought, "No, you know what, no. I'm just looking too much into it. You can't be―"

"So what?" I cut in, a sudden passion taking over me. You looked up at me with a timid gaze and I returned a steady one. "So what if I want to show my favourite girl some affection, huh? Is it illegal?"

"What―"

"Look, sweetheart," I didn't want you to say anything until I let everything out. "I know you've never told anyone but do you know how obvious you get sometimes? It's like a touch from me and you're blushing. Sometimes, all it takes is just a glance and I have you wrapped around my little finger."

Did I just say that? That sounded so... rude and frivolous of me. It made me sound like the playboy people saw me as. 

"No..." You were heating up.

"See!" I accidentally nudged you as I pointed at your face. "You're red again!" You flushed even more. I was exasperated, "Even if you say 'No, you don't like me', fine. But I'm gonna do it." 

I stared at you, wondering if you were going to finally look at me. You finally did, curiosity getting the better of you. But I didn't say anything, merely staring at you. Your eyes were round and almost scared. You were frightened. Not of me, but of what I was going to do. 

"Do...what?" 

This was the time. I would confess and then kiss you. But then I thought about how you might reject me for being too playboyish, especially with what I had just said. My eyes dropped to your neck again and I grinned in my head. 

"This," I murmured huskily, staring at your lips. I dipped my head as I closed the distance between our faces. 

I had my eyes closed softly, a little bit opened to see if you had your eyes closed. Your eyes were as wide as saucers. I could almost feel the fear and uncertainty emitting from you. The closer I got, I saw how frantic you got. You eventually closed your eyes. I smirked victoriously. You liked me enough to want the kiss. You didn't think of me as a playboy.

"Gotcha again, little chick," I chortled with laughter as you screeched at the torture. I was tickling you and you were screaming and kicking. 

You started moving backwards, hitting the fridge. I was worried if you actually hit yourself too hard, but you didn't seem to notice anything. I grabbed your hands and pinned them to your back, at the same time using it as a cushion for you against the hard surface. With the other hand, I just kept tickling you. You doubled over once, your face dangerously close to mine. But you straightened up again for you couldn't stay still for one second. 

"Kai," you gasped, laughing painfully. "Stop..." Kai, please!" You begged even though you were laughing and screaming at the same time. It wasn't really a torture. But it was, at the same time. 

"Okay," I relented, leaning away from you. I was still holding you captive though, your hands still at the back. "But―"

"I'll do anything," you breathed hard, shaking your head seriously and giving me your best determined look. "Just stop tickling me." 

I wanted to grin. But instead, I raised my eyebrows, wanting to look like I didn't want to squash you in a bear hug. You nodded seriously, obviously trying to convince me that you would so exactly anything. This time, I couldn't stop my lips from breaking out into a grin. Unkowingly, I tightened my hands around yours and pushed you slightly closer to me. You didn't even realise it. 

"Then, I want you to stay still," I commanded gently. 

"Are you gonna―" You were still scared that I was going to tickle you and you were squirming. 

"Stay still," I repeated, almost whispering. 

My eyes were on your lips and I was inching my face closer to yours. You stand still, holding your breath. I wished you would just breathe. But at that time, you fluttered your eyes closed. My eyes crinkled into crescents, my heart swelling at the sight before me. You waiting for me to kiss you looked was a picture I wanted to keep forever. I loosened my hands around yours and placed them lightly on your hips. My lips brushed against yours before I pressed them fully on yours. 

Your hands grabbed onto my forearms, your fingers probably creating indents in my flesh. I smiled against the kiss, feeling lightheaded at how amazing your lips felt and tasted. I had thought of how it felt like and now that I've tried it... I knew that Chanyeol was right. I had to be quick. Or I would never be able to make you mine. Our innocent kiss ended when I pulled away, my bottom lip grazing your top before I stood erect again. You didn't open your eyes. But you weren't exactly breathing either. I was concerned because for all I knew, you might have not been breathing since before I kissed you!

"Remember to breathe, sweetheart," I chuckled and I realised that I wasn't breathing much too. My laughter was breathless.

You took in a deep breath and I watch your eyes open slowly, shyly. You looked shy and I grinned at you. You blushed, looking away at one. I laughed, shaking my head. Letting go of your waist, I noticed how you glanced back at me at the loss of touch. You didn't seem like you were doing a good job heeding my advice since you were still frozen. I stepped back slightly. I grabbed the plates that were already filled with your cooking. 

"Let's eat," I announced. I watched you bring the plate of pancake to the table where I was sitting. You looked dazed. "It's good, sweetheart," I praised you because your cooking really was good. 

You glanced up at me, looking a little abashed. "This isn't the first time I've cooked for you," you mumbled, picking at your food as though you weren't hungry.

"Well," I was saying with a mouth full of toast and eggs. I told you innocently and truthfully, "It is the first time you're cooking for me and only me." You blushed and I swallowed the lump of food with difficulty. I blamed your good cooking for making me greedy. I chuckled at your plum face and promised, "The next time it's my place and my turn to cook for you. Okay?"

"Huh?" 

"Yeah," I nodded at the stupid look you gave me. "The next time," I spoke slowly because you looked blank and unable to comprehend a word. "You're―" I pointed to you like a kid. "―staying over at my―" I pointed to myself. "―place and I―" Pointed to myself again. "―will cook for you."

"Can you cook?" You blurted out. I narrowed my eyes at you. After all that hard work of being patient with you, that was what you had to say? You shrugged, "I don't wanna die of food poisoning."

"You think I'll let you get hurt? Much less die?" I was unamused. I was hurt. I couldn't believe you'd think I'd poison you. It might have been a joke but still. I liked you so much that I'd believe anything you said. 

"Don't steal my idea now, Kai," you squeezed my thigh from under the table. I froze for a second before regaining composure again. I had to keep my cool. "Enjoy your food~" You sang. 

I furrowed my eyebrows, putting two and two together. My eyes bulged as I played along, "What does that―" I coughed and hacked and gagged. "What did you―" I pointed to the food urgently. "I don't wanna die!" 

You started giggling, your countenance brightening up my entire morning. Mr. Sun would be sacked if you went around smiling like this, I thought endearingly. You told me, "I was kidding, fool."

I smirked, "I knew you wouldn't wanna kill me on purpose." You gave me a curious look and I explained, "You like me too much to do that." You pinked again. You were blushing so much today. I laughed as I flicked a finger under your chin, "Eat up, sweetheart. Or I'll eat you."