Pictures, Marshmallows and Lemon Candy

Pictures, Marshmallows and Lemon Candy [One~Shot]

                “Is this one going too?” Sungjong asked her, holding a white portrait with colorful buttons glued all over it and a picture of a couple.
                “Ugh, get that pic away from me.” the girl said. “But keep the portrait, I bought it.”
                “Alright~” he removed the picture and put it on the top of a pile with the others, thinking which would be the one to substitute.
                “Are these all pictures of us?” she asked in disbelief.
                “Uh, yes…” he hesitated a bit before speaking. “It wasn’t a month, it was two years and a half…”
                She kept looking at the pile for some seconds and let out a heavy sigh.
                “I know…”
                Sanghee and Sungjong, her friend, were in her room collecting all the items that her now ex-boyfriend had given her during all their time together. Each one holding a trash plastic bag, he was looking for all their pictures and possible gifts while she had her diary in her hands, destroying any evidence of her ex’s existence.

                It was a typical case of a relationship with no trust. He was always trying to keep her under his orders, things such as no talking to other boys, not hanging out with her friend, even when it was an all-girls night, and definitely not leaving home without him. Despite her strong feelings, she wouldn’t “obey” him, not just for the sake of denying, but she really thought it was all unnecessary and wanted to show him that there was no reason to suspect. Mainly because she didn’t use to boss around like he did, and since his temper wasn’t one of the best, he would explode and they would end up fighting every single time. Eventually, the hell broke loose on the chaotic day she caught him kissing another girl in his car. That day she decided he had to leave her life immediately. And that was basically the reason why she was throwing away everything directly related to him, and for such a depressing task, nothing better than a friend to help. Sungjong was like her personal psychologist, and for free. At least, as long as she knows it’s for free. For him it was never pleasant having to deal with the girl of his dreams being mistreated by that jerk of a guy. But he never showed any trace of a deeper feeling, that he was sure. He would do anything to keep their friendship; as long as she was happy, nothing else would matter.

                “I’ll finish this later.” she placed the diary under her pillow, got up, walked to the shelf full of plushies and started shoving some of them inside a new plastic bag.
                “Are you throwing away this one too? But you love it!” he asked.
                “I know, but he gave me this, and I said I don’t want to remember him ever again. Ever!” she kept shoving them.
                The last word gave Sungjong a reason to smile – secretly, of course.
                “You should be helping me!” she shouted suddenly.
                “A breakup is already hard to handle, I don’t want to be harsh on you.”
                “You have to! I need you to push me, not let me shed a single tear and to set all these letters and pictures on fire.”
                “What about the other things?”
                “I’m donating the toys and clothes, and selling the jewelry.”
                “Oh, so you’re also getting money from all of this!”
                “Of course! Where do you think all popcorn and ice cream will come from?” she smiled.
                “Fair… Oh, what’s this bag?” he showed a pink plastic.
                “Tickets. Movies, concerts, theatres… Fire!”
                “Ok… Are you sure your mom won’t be mad if you use her garden as a rebellion area?”
                “It’s not a rebellion, it’s destroying evidence.”
                “Oh well, sure it sounds better. She’ll think you’re a murderess and I’m helping you with the crime.”
                “She won’t be surprised. Actually, she’ll be surprised I’m not burning that son of a himself.”
                “Woah, calm do--” he was interrupted by her glare. “Uhm, I mean, should I buy some gasoline?”
                “Stupid!” she threw a toy at his head, failing when he caught it before hitting him.
                “Hey, I gave you this one! Don’t throw it, it’ll be sad. And I’ll be sad.”
                “Oh, I’m sorry Caramel Head~” she picked the plushie dog from his hand and placed it back to its place.
                “Caramel Head. Did you name it?” he laughed.
                “Of course, I name all my animals, that one is Orange Leaf, and Vanilla, and-- Oh, should I name you too?”
                “Oh, shut up.” he slightly pushed her on the bed.
                “Let me think…” she ignored him.
                “Stop it! I already have a name”
                “Lemon Candy!”
                “Oh, come on, Lemon Candy? First I’m not your animal, and you can’t just take the things I love and name me after them.”
                “I can, keep searching for fuel.”
                'Why don’t you just call me Sanghee then?' he thought to himself. “You’re so stupid.” he smiled and stared at her for some seconds before resuming his search. “At least you don’t feel like burning yourself.” he said.
                “He’s not with it. Besides, it’s not his fault.” she said, making him shot a look at her, waiting. “It’s mine, for expecting so much from someone so freaking idiot.”
                “Yah, don’t you ever say that again. Look at me.” she did as he told. “You did nothing wrong, really. You did everything you could to keep a good relationship, there was no way you could know how much of a despicable human being he was, so get this feeling of guilty out of you right now. We’re going to burn it with the rest of trash.”
                She remained in silence for some seconds before finally speaking up.
                “Okay…”
                “It’s not your fault, I mean it!”
                “Okay, you’re right… Thank You.” she gave a small smile, which he returned.

 

                “Ah, I didn’t know that clothes could be this heavy…” he said while going down the stairs, carrying a bag on his back. “Sanghee-yah, can’t you just go faster?” he complained.
                “I can’t, this bag is huge, I can’t see the way, if I run I might roll down the stairs.”
                “Just roll down then, it’s really heavy.” he kept whining.
                “Are you alright there?” Sanghee’s mom showed up.
                “Yes, he’s just that annoying.” the girl replied.
                “Oh, do you want to trade?”
                “No.”
                “Then just. Go. Faster. Or else I’ll throw you to the fire later.”
                “Fire? What, are you going to burn it all?” her mother asked.
                “Yes. And don’t try to stop me.” she kept going down.
                “With the utmost respect, mom, but I really wouldn’t try.” Sungjong said.
                “Oh… But how are you going to make a fire? And where?”
                “Your garden. Inside dad’s portable barbecue.”
                “I’m not sure he’ll like stuff inside his--”
                “He’ll understand.” she interrupted, making her mother just laugh.
                “Oh, finally!” Sungjong put the bag on the floor and sighed.
                “What are these?” the older woman asked.
                “Clothes and toys.” she pointed each bag. “For donation. I’ll take them there later. Today we’re going to burn everything else.”
                “Alright, good luck, Sungjong.” her mom laughed.
                “Thank you, mom.” he smiled.
                “Yah, stop calling her like this.”
                “Let him be.” she said and he stuck his tongue out to Sanghee.

 

                “At least it’s cold outside here.” Sungjong said while pouring some alcohol to the barbecue set.
                Sanghee had taken some pictures from the pile and was looking at them, sitting on the ground, not really listening to what Sungjong had just said.
                “Hey!” he snapped. “Fire is ready, just burn it all. No taking looks for the last time. I won’t let you.” he took the pictures from her hands and threw it on the fire.
                “Stupid, I was just looking at how beautiful I am in all those pictures.” she gave a small smile and blinked some times to prevent the tears. He stared at her.
                “See, I know it’s hard, yet you keep asking me to be harsh. I don’t want you to feel any worse.”
                “I’m fine, really. I’m not sad it’s over, I’m just mad at me, at how blind I was.”
                “I told you it’s not your fault, Sanghee! Stop right now, I forbid you.” he crossed his arms in front of her. She looked at him and started laughing at how cute he was at that moment. “Better. Now will you throw it all or you want me to do that?”
                “I’ll do it myself.” she got up, shoved her hand inside the bag, took a part of the pile and started throwing the pictures, one by one. “You know what Hyunju told me when I said I was burning everything?”
                “You still talk to her? Even after you discovered she’s friends with the girl he was kissing?”
                “Yeah, that doesn’t matter much…”
                “I always told you she’s weird… She seemed already knowing everything. But what did she say?”
                “She told me I was overreacting, that I shouldn’t destroy and give away everything, because I might forgive him and we could get back together.” she said and he let out an ironic laugh.
                “Really, this girl is really weird.”
                “I know. I just… I yelled at her and hung up the phone.”
                “You did well. I forbid you to talk to her too.”
                “Oh yes, I forgot you’re my father to keep forbidding me of everything.” she laughed.
                “It’s for your own good.”
                “That’s what fathers say.” she laughed louder.
                “Yah, want me to burn you too?” he grabbed her shoulders and threatened pushing her towards the fire, making her scream.
                “Are you crazy?! You know you’re not that heavy, I can push you too!” she said, still laughing.
                “Yeah, but you won’t.”
                By the time Sanghee was throwing the last pieces of tickets, her mom showed up on the door.
                “It’s still cold in here, cover yourselves.” she handed a thick blanket to Sungjong.
                “What about me?” the girl asked.
                “Just share, I don’t want two blankets smelling like smoke, one is enough, and this one is large.”
                “No way we can share, he’s fat, he’ll take it all.”
                “That’s problem is yours.” he sat on the ground with the blanket around his shoulders.
                “Stop complaining and just share. Oh, and I bought some marshmallows, do you want it?”
                “MARSHMALLOWS!” he shouted.
                “NO! Any food made with this fire will be poisoned. We can’t.” Sanghee said.
                “Mom, please, bring us~” Sungjong asked with a smile, ignoring her.
                “I’ll bring them in a second.”
                “Why are you doing this? I mean, HOW do you do this? That’s my mom, she should me listening to me, not you!”
                “Are you jealous?” he laughed.
                “No, I’m annoying. I’m stressed. I’m complaining about everything.”
                “Oh, I know.” he said and Sanghee’s mother showed up again, this time with a bag full of marshmallows and handed it to her before going inside again. “I’m here around you for nearly ten hours now, I, more than anyone else, know. Come here.” he opened one arm, making some space for her to sit beside him, and so she did.
                Sungjong put his arm with the blanket around her shoulder and brought her closer.
                “You too shouldn’t be so harsh to yourself. It’s okay to be sad, it’s okay to get annoying, the only thing is not okay is to blame yourself. I really mean it, you can’t let it mark you like you’re letting. And I’ll be here to prevent you from that.”
                “Have I ever told you you’re the best person in the world?” she said, making him blush slightly. She opened the bag of marshmallows, took one and ate it.
                “Are you really eating it like this?” he laughed.
                “Yes, I said I don’t want to die poisoned.” she said while munching and handed him the bag.
                “Alright then.” he also took some and started eating.

 

                The marshmallow bag was already half empty, both of them were looking ahead, to the orange flames going up and vanishing. Sanghee’s head was leaned on Sungjong’s shoulder, the blanket around them, and it was all silent except for the occasional cracks from the fire. He decided to break the silence.
                “How you think you can fall in love again?” he caught her off guard, making her keep the silence for some seconds more.
                “Of course I can. Actually, when I think of it, I guess I wasn’t in love with him anymore for quite a long time before I caught him cheating. Maybe it’ll be faster than I think.”
                “What do you mean by wasn’t in love anymore?”
                “I wasn’t feeling… I don’t know… I feel like I was with him just to prove that a relationship doesn’t have to be full of bossing around and suspects. Like, I just wanted to prove a point instead of being with him for being him. I think I’m not being clear…”
                “No, I get what you’re saying.”
                More silence.
                “What about a handsome prince in a shining armor?” he said, making her laugh.
                “Oh, indeed. I would run away with him in no time.”
                “Really?” he smiled.
                “Only if he promised not being a jerk and not thinking I’m an object in his possession.”
                “If he promised he’d take you as someone he loves and treasures, someone to be by your side and take you by his side, not under him.”
                “Yes, like this…”
                “I promise.”
                He simply said and her breathing stopped short. They kept looking to the flames.
                “Sungjong…”
                “I’m sorry. I couldn’t hide anymore, seeing you sad because of him. I let my selfish side take control this time, I’m sorry, but I really promise you that, if you’re willing to take this promise.”
                “I…”
                “You don’t need to say anything now. I don’t want to push anything, I’m just saying this to let you know. I needed you to know. I didn’t plan telling you like this, especially when it’s been not even a week after your breakup, but my heart kept saying I needed to let you know. And when you said I’m the best person, and that you wasn’t in love with him anymore for a long time, I thought, maybe…” the sentence died when she pulled her head away from his shoulder and they stared at each other.
                “You know, I really like Lemon Candy. It’s just… My lips are hurt from too much bad food.”
                Sungjong pulled her for a tight hug, his arms around her waist and his chin gently resting on her shoulder.
                “Then take your time to let your lips heal.”
                “Do you think after that there will still be Lemon Candy for me?”
                “Of course there will.”
                “Won’t it melt away?”
                “It won’t.”
                She hugged him back.
                “Thank you.”