Overthinking

Breakup Messenger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

***This is a very long chapter. I can't seem to cut it. So please don't be too bored reading this loooong chapter. :)

 

CH 8

 

Sulli stared at Minho the entire time. How can she not? He was so natural with his actions as if he’s used to socializing with executives like the top bosses of Carlito’s. We’re talking about BIG bosses, Bosses who even came from London and the US just to make sure the Korean business kick off will go on smoothly. These bosses went especially for the Ambassador contract signing to make a strong impression that Carlito’s is really serious about the Korean Market. Carlito’s plan for Korea is big, gigantic. They want to be the leading coffee provider for Koreans, beating everything else. And when it comes to Koreans, they love coffee. There are coffee shops all around!

“This is Sulli Choi, she’s the advertising agent assigned to our kick off preparations.” Said the female executive in her American English accent.

The British Boss smiled at Sulli and stretched his hand for a shake. Sulli smiled and took the hand with a strong grip, something her seniors at work had advised her a long time ago.

“I’m glad to meet you, young lady. I heard it was tough to find the perfect Ambassador but you did it.” Said the Boss in English.

Sulli nodded.

“The details given by Carlito’s is very detailed. It was hard to find the Ambassador in the beginning. But we got Lucky with Minho.” Sulli answered in her slow but understandable Korean English.

 “That luck is good for both our companies.” Said the British Boss.

They all looked at Minho who was shaking hands with the other top Bosses.

“He has that kind of aura that tells you he’s not just a model or a face on print and commercials.” Said the British Boss. “But for now, let’s keep the mystery of who or what he really is. Mystery excites people. And we love it when people gets excited especially if he’s going to impact Carlito’s Sales strategy.”

After a few minutes, the contract signing started. Photos were taken and excitement is boiling.

Carlito’s now has a formal Ambassador for the Korean Market. Minho Choi will join the league of top models that Carlito’s has all over the globe. His face and name will be used for all ads, stores and even products nationwide. He will even be featured on the front page of Carlito’s website as the International Ambassador for the month. In a week or two, Minho Choi won’t just be a suburb café owner, he will be a star.

Sulli sighed.

Once Minho becomes a star… Will his path cross with Ailee again?

 Once their paths cross again… what will happen?

Sulli looked at her watch. She has to reach the restaurant in an hour. Ailee asked to meet her.

But first, she has to get rid of Minho.

Sulli sighed when she was sitting at the backseat of the car. Minho was beside her.

“What’s up?” asked Minho.

“Huh?”

“I thought everything went well in the contract signing. Why are you sighing like you have a heavy weight on your shoulders?” asked Minho.

“Oh…”

Sulli bit her lip.

Minho was drawn to look onto those lips, Sulli has very plump lips… plump lips that remind him of how it tasted and how it felt when he had slightly bit it that night…

Minho looked away as if dust entered his eyes.

“I just… need to meet my co-worker right now.” Said Sulli.

“The girl in pink?” asked Minho.

“Are you talking about Soyu? It’s not Soyu. It’s… another person. We need to meet somewhere to discuss about… work stuff.” Said Sulli.

“Why are you not meeting in the office if you’re going to talk about work stuff?” asked Minho.

Sulli knew Minho is the analytical type. But this situation is not helping her get rid of him fast.

“It’s… work plus a bit of non-work. Anyway, it’s complicated. I need to meet that person tonight.” Said Sulli.

“So you’ll be out for dinner?” asked Minho.

“Yeah… I’ll be out for dinner.” Said Sulli. “Don’t wait up for me.”

Sulli’s eyes widened. Why did she have to say those foolish words!

“I mean… it’s not that I’m assuming you’d wait for me… it’s just that…” Sulli took a deep breath. “I might go home really late.”

Minho did not talk for a while. Sulli was relieved. His non-interest means she doesn’t have to conjure up more lies. Meeting with Ailee suddenly became complicated. It used to be so simple…

There was a long moment of silence in the car. Sulli looked out. In a few minutes, they’ll reach the vicinity of her house. That’s where she will part with Minho so that she can go meet with Ailee.

Sulli clasped her hands together. Will Ailee be all right meeting with her? She’s all over the news because of her superb vocal talent, for sure paparazzi and others would follow her wherever she goes.

“Is this co-worker a male co-worker?”

Sulli stopped thinking. Did Minho speak just now?

“Huh? Were you saying something?” asked Sulli.

“Is he… a boyfriend?” asked Minho.

Sulli’s eyes went double its size.

“Boyfriend? Who are you referring to?” asked Sulli. “Are you talking to me?”

Minho nodded, his arms were crossed over his chest.

 “That co-worker you’re meeting, you said you’ll talk non-work stuff that are complicated.” Said Minho.

“Oh.” Sulli waved her hands in the air. “No! Definitely not. Gosh, why would you even think that?”

Sulli laughed.

“It was a question out of curiosity.” Said Minho. “It’s kind of intriguing. But it wasn’t meant to be a joke.”

“Oh…” Sulli couldn’t stop laughing. “I just… that’s just funny for me. Sorry I have very weird sense of humor.”

Sulli wiped her eyes as her laughter subsided.

Minho’s eyes thinned. Sulli’s laughter… and even her tears when she laughed hysterically reminded him of that night. And suddenly, he felt uncomfortable.

Why does her laugh sounded… melodic suddenly?

Minho looked away. This is frustrating.

“I don’t have a boyfriend.” Said Sulli. “The last time I was in a relationship was…hmmm… 2 or 3 years ago. When I meet people, they either think I’m divorced or an old maid. I kind of give off that kind of aura you know. I am a snob with a very cold impression on people.  So it’s just weird for me to hear you say I might have a boyfriend. That’s a first in a very long time.”

“I was just curious. Office romance is common nowadays.” Said Minho.

 “Nah…” said Sulli. “Not for me I guess. I just… don’t think there’s anybody I work with who will be interested with me as a woman. I tend to… umm… intimidate people. And besides, having a boyfriend at work is just unimaginable for me. It’s complicated when work is invaded by personal feelings and relations.”

“Yeah.” Minho said. “I think so too”

Sulli nodded.

And then there was another long moment of silence.

Sulli bit her lip as she tried to think of a way to get the awkward silence to stop.

Sulli called the driver.

“Ajussi, can you open the radio please?” asked Sulli.

The driver opened the radio.

And then Sulli clenched her hands as regret overtook her.

The song that was playing was… Ailee’s song!

The awkwardness tripled! No, make that Unlimited!

“Ajussi… Umm… Can you change stations please? I want something that plays umm… an upbeat song.” Said Sulli.

“Ajussi, don’t change the station. I like this song.” Said Minho.

Sulli turned to see Minho looking out the window with that forlorn look on his eyes.

Sulli closed her eyes.

Why is there a tugging feeling in her chest? Why does she feel something like a sting… that little painful feeling…

“What if... what if you see her again?” asked Sulli.

Minho saw the city lights, the lights he refused years ago.

“I don’t know.” Said Minho. “I haven’t figured it out.”

Sulli opened her eyes.

“What if she still loves you?” asked Sulli. “Will you…”

“There is something you don’t know about me Sulli.” Said Minho.

Sulli saw the frightening angry look on Minho’s eyes.

“For me once a relationship ends, it ends forever. There is no turning back.” Said Minho. “But that does not mean I can just let it go easily.”

Minho turned and saw the curiosity in Sulli’s eyes. There was a hint of worry in there. What she’s worried about, Minho can’t guess.

Sulli looked out the window. Minho and Ailee’s story is not yet fully closed. Even if Minho says he will not return to Ailee, his mind might change once they see each other again. The lonely look on his eyes… the angry look too…all those intense and deep emotions that Sulli sees in Minho is enough proof of that.

Minho… still loves Ailee.

Does Ailee think of the same? If she was the old Ailee, she will for sure still be holding on to Minho. Ailee loved Minho so much.  She even tried to live in the suburb for Minho despite her dream of becoming a singer. But Sulli can’t guess what the new Ailee is thinking or feeling.

Somehow, Ailee’s singer idol image is confusing Sulli.

-----------------------

Sulli and Minho reached the entrance to the building Sulli is residing.

“Here’s the passcode.”

Sulli gave the number combination to her house.

“You have an orientation with Carlito’s tomorrow and some preparations for the commercial shoot. So don’t sleep late.” Said Sulli.

Minho nodded.

“Well then…umm…I’ll see you tomorrow.” Said Sulli.

Sulli walked on.

“Hey. Sulli!” called out Minho.

Sulli stopped on her steps. She’s late. She really needs to get rid of Minho ASAP.

“What?” asked Sulli.

Minho walked towards Sulli and took his coat off him. He then put it around Sulli’s shoulders.

“The night is getting cold. I am pretty much dependent on you when it comes to this modelling world. So you can’t a catch cold.” Said Minho as he straightened the coat around Sulli.

Sulli felt her cheeks starting to burn. Her heart started kicking her chest like it’s trying to run… Sulli tried to breathe.

“I…umm… Thanks.” Sulli turned back and then walked, fast, as fast as she could without looking back.

Minho smirked as he saw Sulli’s nervous form as she hurried to leave.

Sulli, despite being an ice princess as she claims to be, is in truth a soft woman inside. She melts with the slightest acts of chivalry.

Minho clenched his hands. That’s not good. That could only mean she’s vulnerable. She’s only using her cold image to protect herself like a defense mechanism. But she will be hurt if she continues to be naïve like this.

That means… he has to very careful. If he goes on like this, Sulli’s bound to get hurt.

And then Minho sighed.

“I should have just told her to bring a coat with her. Why did I have to give my  coat off like a Korean drama prince?” said Minho.

The answer was plain and simple.

It was because he knew how Sulli will react. Her cheeks will start turning pink as she blush. And her blushing look, he wants to see it. It’s an image that makes him chuckle when he remembers it.

Minho shook his thought away. He has to stop thinking how cute a blushing girl looks.

He has a weird feeling about this friend Sulli is going to meet. Sulli did not say if it was a male or female co-worker.  Who is she meeting that she has to stay late for?

---------------------

 Sulli entered the private room in a bar. Ailee was already waiting for her.

“I was beginning to get worried.” Said Ailee. “You were never late in any of our meetings.”

Ailee looked totally different. Her usual brown hair looked blonde. Her makeup is over the top, well… too over the top for Sulli’s taste. She looked like she just got out of the stage.

Sulli sat beside Ailee.

“Do I need to see you in your idol costume?” asked Sulli.

Ailee sighed.

“I… didn’t have time to even wash my face. After my last show, I immediately went here because I know how angry you would be if I was a minute late. I arrived here three minutes before seven. And look at what time it is now. It’s almost eight!.” Said Ailee. “What happened to you? Did you get into an accident? Let me look at you… are you wounded?”

Ailee stood up and tried to check Sulli’s body.

Sulli pushed Ailee lightly.

“No, stop it. I wasn’t in an accident. Stop… tickling me!” shouted Sulli.

Ailee laughed.

“That’s the revenge for making me wait.” Said Ailee.

Sulli sighed. Despite all the makeup and weird fashion, the old Ailee is still inside this idol Ailee.

“I already ordered for your light drink.” Said Ailee.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter