Caring for the sick

Breakup Messenger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chapter 3

Caring for the sick

 

Sulli slowly opened her eyes. It was warm. There was a smell of coffee everywhere.

Window? Why is there a window there?

Wait… Déjà vu? This already happened right?

Sulli sat up immediately. She looked around. It was the same room as before. And then she looked at herself under the blanket. She was wearing an oversized shirt that is not hers!

NOoooooo Why is this happening again?

Sulli felt dizzy, a sharp pain attacked her on her head. She felt weak like her bones and muscles are falling apart.

What’s the matter with her? And why is she in this place again?

The door opened stopping Sulli from her thoughts.

“You’re awake.”

Sulli’s eyes widened.

Minho Choi.

But why?

Why is this happening again?

And this time, why is he awake? What happened?

Minho noticed the confusion in Sulli’s eyes.

“I found you sleeping on the chair outside the café. You were drenched from the rain.” Said Minho.

Sulli touched her head and massaged it. The pain was so severe she could barely open her eyes.

“I assume you’re feeling really bad right now.” Said Minho. “You had on and off fever since last night. Until a few minutes ago, you were still burning.”

Fever? Why is this happening now? This is not the time to get sick! She has a modelling contract to offer this guy and she needs to go back to Seoul ASAP.

“My clothes?” asked Sulli, her voice croaky and not sounding like herself at all.

“I took them off you since you were soaking from the rain.” Said Minho.

Sulli’s eyes widened. He didn’t just…undressed her right?

Oh no!

Sulli’s head throbbed more profusely.

And Minho read her thoughts.

“I was left with no choice last night. You were burning with fever. Some roads were closed so I can’t take you to the hospital. Plus I have no female companion in this house.  I went ahead and took your clothes off you. If I didn’t, it could have been worse.” Said Minho. “Your fever told me you need to be out of those wet clothes ASAP.”

Sulli pulled the blanket closer to her chin to cover her more.

“I couldn’t open your luggage. It was locked.  And I’m sure everything inside it are already soaked.” Said Minho.

Minho went beside Sulli and touched Sulli’s forehead. Sulli was taken a back and darted her face away. Minho sighed and then he touched Suli’s chin turning her face to him. Sulli couldn’t breathe well. She closed her eyes. And then Minho’s hand went to touch her forehead.

When Sulli has a fever, her skin becomes too sensitive, like every touch hurts.

“You still have a slight fever.” Said Minho. “You should probably need to rest more. I don’t have rice here at home so I wasn’t able to make porridge. I’ll go out and buy some. But for now… are you ok with some coffee and bread? You need to eat something before you drink any medicine.”

Sulli opened her eyes slowly. Minho’s voice is so soothing he sounds like a Dad taking care of a young daughter.

“Coffee is good.” Said Sulli. “And bread too.”

Minho nodded as his hand left Sulli’s forehead. It suddenly felt cold.

“Great.” Said Minho.

Minho went out of the room and in just a few minutes, he went back in with a tray on his hand.

Sulli has never had breakfast in bed served. It feels weird… Must be the fever.

“It’s just brewed coffee. Here’s the milk.” Said Minho. “And the bread, I tried to make sure it was the softest one I could get around the cafe.”

“Café?” asked Sulli.

Minho nodded.

“Yeah. I live at the back of the café.” Said Minho.

“This?” asked Sulli referring to the place they are at.

“Yeah, this is just the building behind the café. So it was easy for me to just go to the café and check for bread.” Said Minho. “Pretty convenient for a café owner.”

Sulli nodded and started eating. She’s sure the taste would have been nice since the aroma was good, but nothing tasted anything with her current situation.

Minho watched her eat. And when he realized she doesn’t have appetite, he shook his head.

“Just eat a little bit more, and then I’ll give you medicine. I’ll leave you to rest after. I’d go find rice and make you some porridge.” Said Minho.

“You need to open the café, I’ll be fine.” said Sulli. “Besides, I can’t stay here. I need to book myself a hotel.”

“In this kind of storm? I think staying where you are is the safest thing to do for a sick person. It is hard to get sick during a travel, you are far from home and there’s no one who will take care of you. That is most especially true in a hotel. The hotel room might be nice, but when you’re alone, you’re alone.” Said Minho. “You’re going to stay here until you feel better.”

There was authority in his voice.

Minho stood up and gave Sulli a piece of medicine.

“Take this. I’ll be back later.” Said Minho.

Minho went out.

Sulli closed her eyes.

Minho Choi took her in last night. He saw her, learned she was sick and took care of her. No matter how cold and irritated he seemed from their argument last night, he seems to still have a soft side.

He’s a good person. Only a good person will allow an almost stranger to stay at your house.

 Ailee must’ve seen that in him that’s why she fell in love with Minho.

The thing is… Sulli is starting to see that too…

And that should not happen.

Sulli hit her head lightly but the pain just got worse.

“This is my karma. I am so dumb to even think that about him.” Said Sulli. “Ailee… is my friend. And they’ve just broken up. Why am I even thinking that he’s such a good guy?”

Sulli sighed. She needs to get well very soon.

Sulli took the medicine. She laid down for a while and then she fell asleep. When she woke up a few hours later, she saw porridge beside her. She tried to eat a couple of spoon. She is feeling a bit better but still her appetite hasn’t come back.

“Maybe I just need a shower.”

Sulli went to have a quick shower and took what she thought was still dry from her luggage. Minho was not around. That’s fine. She has to leave his place and find another place to stay. No matter what he said about Hotels making you feel alone especially when you’re sick, she’ll still choose that path than to stay here in his house.

Staying in this house reminds her of things she shouldn’t have done. The only problem is that, she only remembers the ‘waking up the next morning part’ of the thing that she shouldn’t have done.

Sulli pulled her luggage out of the room. But it was hard. Her luggage felt like ten times heavier than yesterday.  Must be because she’s sick. With just a few steps, she already felt weak and faint that she had to sit on the floor.

“This is bad.” Said Sulli. “Why is this happening now?”

Sulli sighed.

Minho rejected her last night. If she doesn’t make a way to convince him to agree as Carlito’s Ambassador, what will happen to her career, her life?

Sulli felt tears falling from her eyes.

Weird. She’s crying. She’s not a cry baby, she’s not the type to easily cry. So why is she wasting her tears like this?

Because she’s tired.

She’s been working hard non-stop. And now, she’s on the danger of losing the most important thing in her life, her job.

“Were you trying to go out but realized you couldn’t?”

Sulli’s face lifted up upon hearing a man’s voice. Minho was standing by the door leaning on his right side on the wall, his arms over his chest as if he was standing there and had been watching her for a while now.

“Tsk tsk. You even tried to pull your luggage with you? Do you trust your body too much?” asked Minho.

Minho walked towards Sulli and stopped in front of her, his hands on his waists.

“You did not believe me earlier when I said you’re sick, huh?” asked Minho.

Sulli bit her lip as tears continued to flow.

Minho sat in front of Sulli. And then he sighed.

“Do you know how you look like right now?” asked Minho.

Sulli shook her head.

“How will I be interested to know how I look like on this situation?” Said Sulli. “I feel awful.”

Awful physically, emotionally and even mentally with all that’s happening.

“You look like a pitiful 5 year old who just cried after her ice cream dropped on the floor.” Said Minho.

Sulli felt irritated suddenly.

“You.” Said Sulli. “Really do not know how to console someone, huh?” asked Sulli.

Minho smirked.

“That’s right.” Said Minho. “I lack in the ‘consoling’ department.”

Sulli tried to stand up but her legs felt weak. Sulli grunted.

Minho chuckled.

“That’s not funny.” Said Sulli. “I hate my legs right now. I hate myself for running in the rain like that. I hate that it was so cold yesterday and I hate you. I hate you the most. You’re the cause of all my anxieties.”

Minho stopped laughing. His serious face looked at Sulli for a moment.

“All right, what kind of consoling do you need?” asked Minho.

“I’m not playing games.” Said Sulli.

Minho nodded.

“Neither am I.” said Minho. “I told you I’m not good at comforting people who feels bad, so I need you to tell me what to do.”

Sulli sighed.

“Are you serious? How did you ever comfort Ailee?” asked Sulli.

Minho took a moment to answer.

“I… tried to give her flowers and chocolates.” Said Minho.

“That’s cliché.” Said Sulli.

“But it works with her every time.” Said Minho.

Right, Minho can’t give her flowers and chocolates to cheer her up right? That would be weird…

“For you though, I don’t think flowers and chocolates would work.” Said Minho.

“Because I’m Ailee’s friend? That’s right that would be weird.” Said Sulli.

“No, it’s not because you’re Ailee’s friend.” Said Minho. “Ailee once told me that among the three close friends she has, you’re the most different in terms of personality, likes and dislikes. She told me that while Taeyeon and Hyorin would love to receive a love letter for valentines, you would just consider that a waste of time.”

Ailee was pretty harsh. When Sulli received a love letter in high school from a classmate, she did say it was a waste of time. But only because that guy wrote her a love letter instead of studying his lessons. In the end, he failed his exams. Ailee made it sound like Sulli doesn’t believe in romance.

“I…I’m not that stone hearted.” Said Sulli. “I love chick flicks….those romantic comedies … I like them.”

Minho’s eyes widened

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter