Her Realizations

Breakup Messenger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

*This is a rather long update for today. :) Excuse the flashbacks though, it may get confusing. :(

 

 

CH 11

 

Twelve Years Ago

 

Sulli reached the far end of the block where she’s supposed to turn right before she reaches the bus stop from school going home. She sighed. Here comes trouble.

Three girls were standing blocking the way and seemed to be waiting for someone. And Sulli has a good guess who they’re waiting for.

The girls walked towards Sulli.

“You really had the guts to still go to school despite our warning huh?” asked the girl in the middle.

Sulli nodded.

“The guards did not stop me from entering.” She answered.

The girl’s eye widened as anger became evident.

Sulli smiled.

“If you didn’t want me to go to school, you should have asked the guard to stop me. If he doesn’t stop me, then I’m allowed to go in.” said Sulli.

This is a disease Sulli had since birth. She lacks social skills. She has no friends because she doesn’t know when to shut up and when to speak up. This is an example of that moment.

The girls all went to Sulli and started pulling her hair and beat her up. Sulli at first tried to struggle but soon realized she’s outnumbered and just let them hurt her.

“That’s too bad.”

Someone spoke up from behind them.

“Hey Dongsaeng, If you’re only going to let them hurt you, you should have just stayed home.”

Everyone turned around to see a familiar face.

“That Sunbae….” Said Sulli.

That pretty senior girl from school… the one Sulli met the other day. What is she doing?

“Hey, girls, are you really going to keep beating her in front of your Sunbae? Don’t you know I can make life miserable for you if you don’t leave her alone?”

“You’re… Ailee… That girl who made it to an idol training company.” Said one of the girls. “The girl who leads the student council…”

“Just move.” Said Ailee.

The three girls slowly retreated until they were out of their sight.

“You… don’t have to do that.” Said Sulli, combing her hair with her fingers.

“Thank you would be the best thing to say at this point.” Said Ailee.

Ailee lifted Sulli’s chin up.

“You need help.”

Ailee brought Sulli to a clinic where a nurse helped put medicine on Sulli’s wounds.

“Good thing they’re shallow. They’re unlikely to leave scars.” Said the nurse.

Ailee smiled.

“That’s a relief.”

Ailee faced Sulli.

“A girl’s treasure is her face.” Said Ailee.

The nurse left them.

“Why do you need to do that?” asked Sulli.

“Hmm… why won’t I?” asked Ailee.

Sulli’s brows closed in.

Ailee sighed.

“It’s because I like you, Dongsaeng.” Said Ailee. “I like your personality.”

That’s a weird thing to hear.

“Nobody likes my personality.” Said Sulli.

Ailee smiled.

“Yeah. That’s why I like it. It’s unique. A bit unlikeable but very…” Ailee sighed. “Honest.”

Ailee held Sulli’s hand which caught Sulli off guard.

“Do you remember the first time you talked to me?” asked Ailee.

“The other day?” asked Sulli.

Sulli nodded.

“You saw me crying. And then you went to me. Do you remember what you said?” asked Ailee.

“Umm… not everything.” Said Sulli. “It’s not like a script I’ve memorized or anything.”

Sulli actually regretted what she said as soon as she said those words.

Ailee smiled.

“You said ‘Why are you crying like someone died? Did someone die? Condolences then. But if nobody died, then don’t cry like someone did. Crying like this means you feel like the world is ending. For a 15 year old, that’s too harsh. Just imagine if you’re destined to have 80 years of life. Then you’re wasting 65 years of your life because you thought life is over at 15.’ That’s what you said.” Said Ailee.

“Did I really say that?” asked Sulli.

It sounded a bit harsh now that she’s hearing it from Ailee. Sulli does remember half of it but…Gee, this girl memorized everything.

“Yeah. It was very helpful.” Said Ailee. “At that point I thought…I hate you. Your words were so cold and harsh. You don’t even know what I was going through. But later on, your words actually helped me. When my mind was free of emotion, I realized you made sense. And then I realized that wow… you’re so matured for a 13 year old! Even my mom agreed.”

“I only said what I said without thinking.” Said Sulli.

“And that’s what makes you a very interesting person. You may be cold and aloof to people, but your mind works like wonders. You just need someone to start listening to you and…appreciating you.” Said Ailee. “Do you know what happened to me that day? Why I cried so hard?”

Sulli gave an ‘I don’t care look’.

“I know it doesn’t matter to you. But I want you to know just the same.” Said Ailee. “Everyone knows I got accepted into an idol training company since I was eight. I trained to be a dancer and singer for the longest time. I even have lessons every afternoon after school. Tomorrow, I have dance practice. Everyone is just waiting for my grand debut.”

“What does that have to do with your crying?” asked Sulli.

Ailee smiled.

“You’re starting to show interest.” Said Ailee.

Sulli looked away.

“That means you’re starting to care.” Said Ailee.

Sulli shook her head that made Ailee laugh.

“That day… I received my first rejection letter.” Said Ailee.

Sulli looked at Ailee then.

“That day… the girl group I auditioned for rejected me.” Said Ailee. “They said my vocal is not blending well with the group. My voice is either too strong or too soft for the group. I’ve been working for that debut for years. And to be rejected like that… it was hard for me. You were right. I thought my life was over.”

“And now?” asked Sulli.

“Now I think I still have more years to try and try until I get that big debut!” said Ailee with vigor in her voice. “If I am to live until 80, I want to spend the next few years striving to reach for my dream.”

Sulli took a deep breath.

“That’s great.” Said Sulli.

“Huh?”

“I think that’s a really great thing to do, to aspire for something and work hard for it.” Said Sulli. “I too want to aspire for something.”

Ailee nodded.

“What is your dream?” asked Ailee.

Sulli shrugged.

“I don’t know… I don’t know what I want to do yet.” Said Sulli. “I don’t plan my future yet. But seeing how your future is so laid out and planned, I am starting to feel that I need to think about it too.”

Ailee nodded.

“It’s good to plan ahead.” Said Ailee.

“But for now… I know what I don’t have that I want to have in the future.” Said Sulli.

“What is it?” asked Ailee.

“A Dad.” Said Sulli. 

“Oh… Your Dad is…”

“He left us.” Said Sulli.

“Oh so are you going to look for him?”

“No.”

“Are you going to find your Mom a new husband?” asked Ailee.

“No.”

“Umm…so what do you want to happen in the future?” asked Ailee.

“I want to have a good family in the future. I want to know why my Dad left me and my Mom. I want to know why he didn’t stay with us…” Sulli’s hands were closed into fists. “And then when the time comes that I’ll have my own family… I will do my best to make it work. I will make sure I’ll give my child a complete family.”

Ailee enveloped Sulli into a hug. Sulli’s hands loosened.

“All right. Let’s try and find out what we can about your Dad. And then when the time comes that you’ll find that man you’re willing to marry and give your whole life and future family to, we’ll make sure he’s never going to leave.”

Sulli felt hot tears flowing down her face.

Ailee pulled back a little.

“Do you realized what just happened now?” asked Ailee.

Sulli shook her head.

“You just shared a piece of your life with me just as I shared a piece of my life with you.” Said Ailee. “I know it’s not going to be easy but… I see a really good friendship ahead of us.”

“I… am unlikeable.” Said Sulli.

“I know.” Said Ailee. “But we’ll work on that. Trust me, My Mom is a very patient person. And let me tell you one thing. Most people say I inherited her gift of patience. So don’t worry. We’ll work on this together.”Ailee winked. “So… is it a deal? Are we…friends now?”

That day… if only Sulli saw the future coming…will she turn her back?

No.

She’ll still say Yes to Ailee.

Ailee was the only person who was warm enough to reach out to her, the only person who tried to get to know her, understand her and care for her. If Sulli can turn back time, she’ll still choose to be Ailee’s friend.

 But reality is reality. Ailee only got her great debut when she was 27, 12 years after their friendship started. Sulli was left by her 2 ex-boyfriends in the past, each of which she gave her heart to. Each of which she thought was the man of her future. Each of which she tried her hardest to make them stay beside her… But both of which left her…

Until now that she’s already 25, Sulli still couldn’t get why her Dad left her and her Mom…and her parent’s past still haunt her. And she blames that past why no man lasted in her life, why both of them left her just like her Dad.

------------------------

Weeks ago in Seoul.

Minho entered a bar and sat on the far corner. He wanted to get drunk tonight. He needs to get drunk tonight.

He was in Sulli’s house earlier when he realized Sulli might not have eaten diner yet. And though he feels annoyed about that officemate she’s meeting for a work slash non-work matter, he was a bit worried she’ll not have a good full dinner. And so he cooked omelet for her too. He was so distracted with Sulli that the mention of Ailee’s name became like a bomb.

Sulli met Ailee earlier…

“This is a really bad scene in a drama.” Said a man.

Minho looked up and saw a familiar face.

“You.” Said Minho.

“Yup. Me.”

The man sat next to Minho.

“What are you doing in Seoul? You’ve been gone for so long!” said the man.

“Nice to see you too Joo Won.” Said Minho.

“Well yeah.” Said Joo Won.

Joo Won poured some beer for himself.

“Where have you been? The family is going crazy. The last thing we heard about you was that you were overseas doing some culinary studies.” Said Joo Won. “After that, we knew you have entered Korea…but where exactly, we couldn’t trace. Are you so busy with your culinary career?”

“I was busy with that … until the last five years of course.” Said Minho.

Joo Won sighed.

“Did you really shift to coffee making?” asked Joo Won.

Minho nodded.

Joo Won looked at the ceiling.

“I’m assuming that made some people angry and made some happy.” Said Minho.

“Yeah.” Said Joo Won. “That’s fairly accurate. Some people were happy you’re finally out of their sight for good. Others were worried of course. Some were disappointed. By the way, do you still hang out with your cute girlfriend?”

Minho gulped the beer.

“You and Ailee pretty much had a long distance relationship when you were studying abroad. A lot of people say long distance relationship do not work, but you and her made it work for so long.” Said Joo Won. “Good thing you already came back to Korea to soothe the poor Ladie’s heart.”

“Yeah…we’ve managed for so long….until we broke up.” Said Minho.

“You…what?” Joo Won could hardly believe it.

“She broke up with me weeks ago.” Said Minho.

“But…why?” asked Joo Won.

“You don’t ever watch the news huh?” asked Minho.

“I do. Except showbiz of course.” Said Joo Won. “Oh wait! Do you mean she finally made it as a singer?”

Minho nodded.

Joo Won closed his hands on his mouth.

“That’s crazy… after so long, she finally made it!” said Joo Won.

And then Joo Won noticed Minho’s eyes turning into something bitter.

“Umm… well…I can’t believe it. I thought you made her promise she won’t push through with being a signer anymore?” asked Joo Won.

“Yeah. But she still went through it. I couldn’t stop her dream. It was what she worked hard for since she was young… I was selfish for so long trying to stop her from reaching what she wants to have. And now she finally woke up and realized she wanted her dream more than me.” Said Minho.

Minho was drinking more than he could tolerate. Joo Won noticed it.

“Don’t feel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter