Chapter Two;

Doppelgänger

The glasses-wearing nineteen-year-old prodded her friend. “What’s wrong, Eullie?”

Kwon Heeneul was resting her head on the surface, her long curly locks of ebony hair strewn on the area of the picnic table she was occupying, eyes half-closed in a vacant stare, lips slightly parted. “Nothing, HyoRa. I’m just tired. This babo right here kept me up all night because he wanted to play StarCraft,” she answered, weakly reaching up toward the boy seated next to her to slightly nudge his head to the side.

“Well, I didn’t see you complaining.”

“Yah! Don’t talk back to me, Cho Kyuhyun.”

“Look who’s talking, DONGSAENG.”

“Shut up.”

“No, you shut up!”

“Why don’t you BOTH shut up?” another girl broke in, finally setting down her purple handheld mirror. She flicked the zipper of her ped leather jacket at the older, bickering girl, whose face twisted in disapproval at her sudden action.

Kyuhyun and Heeneul simultaneously rolled their eyes, but complied anyway. Heeneul managed a curt nod from her previous position, sprawled onto the table. “Fine, Hwa Sung sshi.”

Ahn Hwa Sung resignedly shook her head, stuffing her mirror back in its designated pocket in her schoolbag. “Die dinge, die ich in kauf nehmen; the things I have to put up with.” She wasn’t technically part of this “geek clique,” as she preferred to call them, but the loner Hwa Sung tended to migrate from one group to another.

When silence met her words, three pairs of eyes instinctively traversed toward the other three who were ensconced in the opposite bench, one had her nose buried in a book, one concentrated on finishing her lunch, and one composing random expressions ( puffing up his cheeks every few seconds ). “HyoRa? Yoo Ree? Jink—”

“Onew.”

Yoo Ree’s emerald eyes flitted over to Hwa Sung for a second, before returning to her lunch ( with a desert of chocolate-covered strawberries, I have to note ) with an exaggerated sigh. “What?” Usually, the Canadian-Korean was a loquacious, exultant girl ( most of the time ), but today was slightly different.

“Nevermind.”

▄▄▄▄▄▄

“Jang Mi-ah,” Kim Taeyeon murmured questioningly, poking her friend’s shoulder. “What are you doing? Come join me and the others for lunch.” The girl remained motionless from her position behind the tree. “Jang Mi?”

Her response was just a sigh. “I’m kind of busy here.”

Taeyeon raised an eyebrow impishly. “Ohhh, let me guess; a boy?”

“Isn’t he perfect?”

“Name?”

“Kim Kibum~”

“I think he’s in my Math class.” Taeyeon scratched her head sheepishly. “I don’t think stalking him will do any good, Mimi.”

Shin Jang Mi had refocused her attention back to the boy plopped down on the grass, thumbing through the pages of a book. “Why don’t you go over there and talk to him? He seems lonely.”

“No thanks. That’s just not like me,” Jang Mi replied, running a hand through her hair. Turning back to Taeyeon, she added, “Tell the others that I’ll be there in a few seconds.”

“Okay.” Taeyeon sounded crestfallen as she prepared to retreat back to their table. “I’ll save you some mints!”

Jang Mi was about to continue her observation of the cute new student ( yes, observation; it’s not considered as stalking, at least for her ), but much to her dismay he had evanesced. “Hey, where’d he go?”

Taeyeon widened her eyes and frantically pointed behind her. “What?” Jang Mi questioned, oblivious to the progressing figure from behind.

“Oh, um, hey. Did you need something?” Jang Mi would have fainted right then and there on the spot.

“Y-Y-You—”

“I’m Kim Kibum. Nice to meet you.”

▄▄▄▄▄▄

“Seunghyunnie. I’m bored.”

She and Seunghyun were seated crossed-legged and weary-limbed across from each other, two glass doors between them. Being stuck as a supposedly “non-existing” life-form in a mirror wasn’t as thrilling and action-packed as one would think.

“And you don’t think I am, Ha Ra?” Rei Hyun was pacing back and forth in the mirror adjacent to the complaining 15-year-old. “You have no idea how aggravating it is to sit and listen to you whining without being able to reach over to you and zip your mouth.”

Seunghyun rubbed his temples resignedly. “Arguing isn’t gonna solve anything.”

“Well,” Rei Hyun muttered stubbornly, “deal with it, since I’m not going to stop.”

“Guys! Someone’s coming!”

Rei Hyun rolled her eyes. “Mhmm, sure, Sang Joon. That’s still not going to shut me—”

Her statement crumbled away as the perpetual tapping of deliberately slow footsteps interrupted. “Hello? Mister, Miss Doppelganger?” She paused in front of a slightly translucent mirror, one where her reflection wasn’t distorted. “Strange; second ago I thought I heard something. Anyway, I’m here with a solution for your pestiferous predicament.”

No response.

“And by that, I mean I know how you guys can get out of those mirrors.”

Rei Hyun finally cracked; she reappeared, face visibly hopeful. “You do?” As if on cue, the others materialized. Pretty soon, the echoing of excited murmurs bounced off of the walls.

“Kevin; did you hear that? We might be able to get out!” Sang Joon cheered.

“It might not work...,” Rei Hyun countered with a sigh.

Jeon JiHwan ( not the Ichigo-JiHwan ) spoke up, attempting to reassure his pessimistic friend. “Rei. It’s the first time since we were born that someone has EVER approached us, unafraid, with a solution.”

The one called Kevin shifted his eyes to the girl who had offered a proposal. “Well? Let’s hear it.”

“According to my perceptions, there are a certain six near here who can, in fact, drag their doppelgangers into reality. Their doppelgangers will have to learn the ways as a regular human. Once their lessons are complete, they’ll be able to return here and help you out of your mirrors.”

There were collective groans from the audience who was listening with rapt attention. “Only six?” someone called out.

“Yep. It’ll take time, but I’m sure it won’t be THAT long. Now, I must get going. They’ll be here soon, so expect their presence.”

And with that, she was gone.

“Who was that anyway?”

Ha Ra’s eyes traveled to a slip of paper on the dusty, tiled floor. It read: “Dusk and Dawn.”

▄▄▄▄▄▄

DeeDee peered at the selected six from behind a tree. The bark was rough and its patterns erratic as she pressed her palms against it for support. “Excuse me, miss,” she called to a nearby girl wearing a black and gray dress that fell just below her knees with a book in hand. Your name is Han Mi Young, yes?”

The girl seemed to have gotten startled, as she had jumped up, eyes wide. “How do you know my name?”

DeeDee shooed off the matter with a hand, shaking her head carelessly. “Not necessarily important. Are those people over there Jang Sohyeon, Kim Mi Na, Park Soo Hyun, Jung Ji Hwan, Lee Renzo, and Chaekyung Kwon?” Han Mi Young nodded uncertainty coloring her actions. “And does this lunch period promptly wrap up the day?”

“Yes.” She looked at the owner of these questions suspiciously.

“Those are all the things I need to now. Truly thank you, Mi Young.”

One steps, two steps...

...And she disappeared from her line of sight.

▄▄▄▄▄▄

“Why am I here again?” A more than irritated Ahn Kyo Rin crossed her arms across her chesting, shifting her weight from foot to foot with a frown. “Should I just send you flying down the sidewalk right now?” Park Jaebeom placed a hand on her shoulder – a failed attempt to calm her down – which she just shrugged off.

The corners of DeeDee’s lips curved up into a smile. “Just think of this... as a challenge.”

Those were the only words needed for Kyo Rin to smirk and announce, “’Kay. I’m game.”

“I’m sure everyone knows their positions precisely by now?”

Yunho nodded curtly, still not capable of trusting this girl.

Kim Ae-Sook giggled excitedly, an ice cream cone in one hand. “Yep! Right, Seungho?”

“Yea sure.”

Yoon Rae Byul nodded grudgingly. “Fine, but I don’t see how this has anything to do with me.”

“There are people – well, they CAN be considered as people – out there who need your help; you’re a person too,” Alexander pointed out.

“Yo yo yo, Park Ji-In JP ready to roll!” Ji-In chanted before reciting a rap, to which Minho joined in. “I’m ready, I’m ready, I’m ready-eady-eady-eady.” She dissolved into giggles. “Spongebob is awesome.”

Her Sae Rok tapped her chin, as if deep in thought. “You know, I wonder what sponges taste like covered in ice cream...”

The others raised their eyebrows, thoughts basically the same: “The Preternatural Pair.”

▄▄▄▄▄▄

I know I said I was going to include the minors in this one, but somehow they just didn’t fit with this chapter. THUS, I shall include the last 5 minors in the next one. Sorry for the main characters not getting any face-time! ;[ There just had to be this scene in the story.

♪When it’s tomorrow, you will leave my side.
When it’s tomorrow, I will wish upon a shooting star alone.
Just like the ending of a movie.♫