~ Chapter Fifty: Heart Attack ~

The Fallen

Random Rambles: Guys, remember when I gave that preemptive warning about angst coming your way? Read the title... (Also, longest chapter EVAR, I'll try to shorten it up from now on ^^;)

***

Why was I always so freaking nervous when I was going to meet the guys at night? 

You'd think that I'd be used to all of it right now, but nope, not me. My leg was shaking up and down like a Chihuahua in heat and the prospect of going hunting in the woods where I know the white wolf with green eyes was roaming, was making me break out in cold sweat. How could I think that I had the guts to go after it? Then again, what choice did I have, really. That pulse of energy came from that wolf, of that I am completely sure. It was a small comfort to know that this time, the boys will be with me. We're not splitting up tonight. 

That is, if tonight is a go... I looked outside and the night seemed particularly dark. It was drizzling, but the storm had laid down. I've been holding my phone this entire time, checking it obsessively every other minute to see whether Luhan sent me a text. Should I try to text him instead? Tell him that I was having second thoughts? They'll probably sustain whiplash from my mood swings. I can't put them through that. 

"Breathe, Jae, come on. What are the odds of you being attacked by the white wolf twice?" I reasoned, pacing around in my room. Why hadn't Luhan sent anything yet? 

"Jade?" 

I jumped when my door opened after having been rapped on quickly and Dad's head popped out from behind. "Hey, you're still up?" he asked. 

"Uh, y-yeah. Homework, and stuff, busy, busy," I felt like a dysfunctional robot when I randomly reached for a book and flipping the pages while Dad could obviously see that I wasn't busy studying at all. 

He squinted his eyes at me. "You're not planning on sneaking out, are you?" he suddenly asked and even though he was teasing me, I still startled. 

"What? Why would you even say something like that? Geez, Dad, don't be silly, you silly goose," I chuckled, but it trailed off into a pathetic little whimper. And here I thought I was getting better at lying...

"So, you've no plans then?" Dad continued, stepping into my room, obviously having noticed my oh-so-smooth behavior. 

I shook my head, since I figured that opening my mouth won't help my case at all. 

"Not thinking about going off to meet a certain person? Start a teenage rebellion against your parents while their backs are turned?" he drilled, with me furiously shaking my head, pursing my lips shut. Keep it up, Jae, you're not raising suspicion at all. 

"Hm," Dad mused, moving closer to look me straight in the eye. He cocked his head to the side ever so slightly, squeezing one eye shut while widening the other. Ah, the Crooked Pirate Glareso we meet again! 

I avoided looking at him, scooting away when he shuffled closer and closer and suddenly reached behind my back where I was holding my phone and snatched the device away from me. 

"Hey, Dad! That's private, give it back!" my protests were muffled when he easily placed his other hand over my mouth, holding me back by sheer force alone while he leisurely scrolled through my phone. 

"Who's Luhan? Is that Mr. Dimple?" he asked, blinking in surprise when I had shoved his hand away and snagged my phone back. "Yikes, are you on steroids, kid? I was only joking around, baby," he chuckled, ruffling up my hair a bit while he turned his wrist. 

"It's not funny, Dad, you don't mess with people's phones," I scolded, absolutely peeved. "They're like, sacred. I don't go around grabbing your phone, do I?" 

"That's because you know who I'm dating and sneaking off to in the middle of the night," he retorted, thinking he was Mr. Smarty Pants. "So if this Luhan is not Mr. Dimple, then who is he? And what's Mr. Dimple's name, you know, so I'll know under what name I can reserve a bullet for." 

I rolled my eyes. I was seriously not in the mood for his lame Dad-jokes. "Will you stop threatening my friends and sticking your nose in my social life? I'm not sneaking off anywhere and I'm not dating anyone. Look at me, do I look like someone who's going to paint the town with her new boyfriend?" I shot at him, while his eyes scanned the baggy, torn jeans and hooded sweater I was wearing.

"Touché," he replied. "Well, I just came in to tell you that Mom's passed out in bed. She's been doing errands all day and cleaning up the house, so you just leave her to rest, okay? I'm heading out, but you can call me if you need anything," he explained seriously, while I did my best to contain my excitement. Talk about luck! 

"Oh, okay. Um, where are you going?" I said, using my super serious voice, feigning interest.

"It's this thing for work. Don't worry about it too much, though. I'll be back as soon as possible, but don't wait up for me, okay? If your mom wakes up and asks me where I am just tell her I'm at the office." 

"Okay, no problemo, Daddy-o, will do," I saluted, to which he grinned and planted a kiss on my forehead.

"That's my Jade. You mind the fort. Be back before you know it," he greeted. 

"You got it. Be careful and don't work too hard," I told him. Dad gave me an assuring wink before leaving my room and a feeling of pure elation washed over me. The timing could not have been any better. With Mom sound asleep and Dad at work, I can roam in and out of the house without a hitch. At least that was one less thing I had to worry about. That moon was full, beaming, and taunting me, slithering its cold, pallid light through the thin veil of the clouds that carried the rain. Teasing me. That's what it was doing. Teasing. I needed to go outside. I wanted to run all of my nerves away. 

I looked at my phone when it vibrated and I opened the message Luhan sent me. 

"Finally!" I exclaimed, quietly running out of my room and out of the house when I read the text. 

Usual spot, Wolfie. See you soon. 

After running for about twenty seconds in the drizzle, fat drops of water had accumulated in my hair and clothing and rolled down my face. Nevertheless it was great being outside again, running without a care in the world. There seemed to be something different in the air, though, but that probably had more to do with the fact that the sky wasn't as clear as it usually was. I only caught a few glimpses of the moon, if I was fortunate enough to look up at the right time. 

By the time I got to our usual meeting place, I thought for sure that I'd be the first one to arrive again, except that wasn't the case this time. Xiumin's unofficial dog, the rottweiler, was already there, accompanying someone who was not Xiumin. 

I came to a standstill as I watched the rottweiler get spoiled by fond caresses and playful belly-rubs, all under the cooing and chuckling of a teenage boy. 

"Who's a good girl? Who's a good girl? You are! Such a pretty girl, too. So strong and fit. Jjangu could learn from you." 

Kai smiled brightly at the rottweiler when her tongue rolled out of and his chin. This was honestly not a sight I'd expected to ever witness. Was this really Kai? Moody, gloomy, grumpy Kai, playing with a dog like an excited child? He seemed like a different person. He was smiling a lot, which reached his eyes that turned into happy crescents, beaming their own ray of light when his smile stretched and extended into a blast of laughter, genuine and pure. I hardly recognized him. 

"Who's Jjangu?" I asked quietly with a smile on my face. Kai froze and tensed up before slowly getting to his feet. Oops, I had not meant to catch him off guard like this, but his slice of happiness was so contagious, I couldn't help but be influenced by it. 

I knelt down when the rottweiler spotted me and left Kai's side to greet me. Kai himself turned around slowly, as if he was purposely saving his heated glare only for me. He shoved his hands in his pockets and grumbled something unintelligibly, with a light dusting of a blush on his face. 

"I didn't quite catch that," I said apologetically, and he sighed, reluctance painfully clear in his eyes. 

"Jjangu is my dog, a toy poodle," he said in a clearer voice, scraping his throat. "When did you arrive, noona?" he jerked his head towards me, making it clear that he didn't like me catching him by surprise. 

"Just now. I thought I'd be the first to arrive, but guess I was wrong," I said with a smile, getting back to my feet while the rottweiler wagged her tail. She seemed to hesitate where to go, switching between going to me and then to Kai. She made her decision when Kai snapped his fingers and waved her over. She happily trotted towards him, walking easily into his outstretched hand as he knelt down. 

"Don't be ridiculous, noona. There's no way you're faster than me," he grumbled, no trace left of the happy, excited boy I just saw mere moments ago. His eyes shone red then, while he looked at the dog, whispering something to her that made her tilt her head. She obediently stayed by his side, even when he stood upright again. I'd take it as a display of dominance if I didn't know any better, but I just assumed that this was how Kai was somehow. 

"I didn't know you had a dog," I tried to keep the conversation flowing, since out of all twelve, I spoke with Kai the least. I didn't know any of them very well, but I suppose Kai was a complete mystery to me. It fitted him, how he could teleport by way of shadows. He seemed riddled by mysterious shades himself, as though he preferred it that way. 

"I've three," he shrugged, his hands shoved coolly in his pockets again, though through his relaxed demeanor I could sense his tension, could see him putting up his guard. The scent of ylang-ylang wafted my way. As silence fell between us, I scanned Kai's face, his body language, and felt like my own hair was spiking up. I chuckled sarcastically. 

"You don't like me much, do you, Kai?" I said plainly, seeing him squint his eyes in a twitch, before the mask of indifference was put on display again. 

"You hit me and threw stuff at us, or did you forget about that, noona?" he shot out in a soft growl. 

"Yeah, well, you tried to kill me first, remember?" I retaliated just as fiercely, and this got him flustered. I had broken through his wall of defense and clearly threw him off balance. Meanwhile, the rottweiler had been a silent spectator, moving her head from me to Kai, as though she was following every word. 

"I wasn't-," Kai clacked his tongue and turned away with a scoff. "I wasn't going to kill you," he muttered under his breath, his eyes averted from me. I waited for him to continue since I was curious where this sudden statement was going to. I firmly kept my mouth shut. 

"I just wanted to scare you so you'd learn your lesson and stay away from us, that's all," he explained quietly, finally making eye contact when he straightened his back and puffed up his chest a bit. He lifted his chin slightly when he added, "I was protecting my pack." 

"Yeah, no . I thought for sure you were going to rip my throat out, dude," I replied, rubbing my neck while chuckling a little nervously. This got a tiny little smirk from Kai, and I found that I liked him a lot more when he was smiling. He looked more attractive that way, too, if I may add.

"I still might, noona," he suddenly said, his red eyes glowing hotly when he uttered the words. I blinked in shock at him, since I had no idea whether he was being serious or was just joking around. I found it difficult to read Kai since he simply didn't allow people to read him easily. He was closed and distant, only allowing a special few into his heart. Was it strange that I felt a little jealous knowing that I wasn't considered to be one of those lucky few?

Then, completely out of the blue, Kai snorted. It was quick and surprisingly adorable since a glimpse of the boy playing with the dog made a cameo again. "Tao was right. You do have a brilliant shockface," he joked, shaking his head at me. I relaxed and managed to let out a chuckle. 

"And you apparently do have a sense of humor," I pointed out, but the youth only very casually shrugged his shoulders. If only he were wearing a black leather jacket instead of a letterman's jacket, give him a motorbike to go with it and he'd be a perfect rebel. 

The conversation was in danger of coming to another awkward standstill, but I had ran out of topics to discuss with Kai. With the others I could come up with more things to say, or they'd be the one doing the talking, but not Kai. Sometimes I thought he purposely tried to make others feel uncomfortable. There was a pressing need for silences to be filled with him around. It wasn't that the atmosphere became tense because of it, just awkward. To me, it felt like I wanted to get to know Kai better, but I didn't know how to reach him. Then again, that may be his intention. Even though he managed to joke around, I could tell that he had put up his wall of defense again. 

"I'm-," I started, but breathed out again, coming to a halt. Usually, I wouldn't care that much what people thought of me since I know what kind of a spazz I can be and how my awesome social skills are the epitome of hella awkward, but it bothered me that Kai felt the need to be on alert around me. Like he treated me as someone dangerous, while there was no reason to, was there?

"You don't have to be afraid of me, you know," the sentence was out before I could think it over properly. As expected, he scoffed and only barely resisted to roll his eyes at me. "What I mean is," I quickly continued, "you don't have to keep up putting your guard around me. I don't plan to hurt anyone or something of that nature. I'm- I'm not dangerous," I elaborated and Kai lifted his eyebrow at me. There was a question burning in his red eyes and I wished he would just say what was on his mind. 

"That remains to be seen, noona," he replied softly, no malice in his tone. "Maybe you as a person aren't dangerous, but you as a wolf..." he spoke straightforwardly, plainly showing how basically, he didn't trust me just yet. "I don't know what to think of you," he then decided, refusing to look away from me. "Can you...can you accept that, for the time being, noona?" he then asked. 

I must've taken too long to answer, since Kai his lips and heaved out a sigh, looking up at the cloudy sky. The silver moonbeams pushed through the gray veil for a split second, illuminating Kai as though he was put under a spotlight. I could clearly see the heavy drops of rain cling desperately to his hair, one of them falling slowly down the side of his face, trailing over his sharp jawline, before dipping down to caress his neck as well. 

I was gawking. I was aware of it. And heck, Kai'd be blind if he wasn't aware of it either, but his face was emotionless when he looked back, while mine was flustered, covered by a reddening blush. Forcing myself to look away, I nodded. 

"I have to look out for my pack first, and you have a very strange effect on them," he added quietly. I wanted to say that I was part of the pack, too, now, so there was no need to suspect me, but I didn't open my mouth. I think it was because I kind of understood what he meant. To him, the other eleven wolves were his family. His brothers. I saw them as friends, but they were family. They had history, shared experiences, and, apparently, old, forgotten memories as well. They were intertwined, but me, I was a strange loose string that had somehow managed to weave herself into their existence. An outsider amongst outsiders. No wonder he doesn't trust me. In Kai's eyes I ruined the perfect balance of the Majestic Twelve, and I understood his sentiments towards me. I had been complaining on how recent developments in my life have become so different now, but I hadn't stopped to think and consider what it must be like for them. 

"Besides," he then continued filling the silences himself since I still hadn't opened my mouth to say something, "what kind of wolf gets attacked by another wolf, anyway?" he pointed out in his suspicion. "Provided that the ghost-wolf was real."

That was the statement I needed to hear to find my voice again. "Hey, that wolf was very real, alright?" I shot out. "It wasn't my fault that the animal was so feral it attacked me like that," I protested, sulking a little. 

"No, but it was your fault for allowing it to attack you like that," he suddenly stated in annoyance, but I didn't follow his tone. He sounded angry. "You know what that did to my brothers, seeing you like that, covered in blood?" 

Yup - Definitely angry...! 

"I-I, it wasn't my intention, that is, well- I, uh..." I stammered and gasped softly when Kai was suddenly standing right in front of me, his gaze intense, his hands grasping my shoulders. 

"Suho-hyung has been in a good mood since he found out that you're one of us," he started. "D.O., who's one of the shyest people I know, has more confidence in his step and a look of determination in his eyes when you're around. Tao can't keep his mouth shut on how he wants to take selcas with you, and Kris-hyung! For whatever reason, he keeps humming the melody of A Whole New World when he thinks no one can hear him. And Sehun, he seems to have the delusional belief that you're going to ask him to come to the Homecoming dance at school." 

I felt like breaking into a sweat each time Kai said something about his brothers. His face stood close to mine and I saw the determination, the anger and the frustration in his eyes. But, why did he tell me these things? Was it to embarrass me, or something? Or his brothers? 

"Those are just a few examples," he grumbled. "Don't even get me started on the others," he said in exasperation. "I don't know why, but my brothers care for you in their own ways. Even you can't be so oblivious to not have noticed at least that much, noona," Kai's grip tightened slightly before he let go, almost as though he allowed me some time to process the information. 

"That's why I don't know what to make of you yet. All I know is that I have to look out for the pack. That's what matters most," he finished, taking a few steps back to create a healthy distance between us. How come when Kai was in a grumpy mood, everything he said sounded like a threat? 

"I've no intention of hurting the pack," I replied with a voice as small as that of an ant. Ugh, where's my bite when I need it? 

"Not consciously, no," Kai prompted, looking away from me only when he heard the rottweiler wimper a little before she wagged her tail and directed herself towards something else. She then bolted towards the abandoned road, running off. She barked a few times as though she was greeting someone. 

"They're here," Kai remarked, though I couldn't see anyone or smell them, for that matter. I turned away from the road so that I could look at Kai, but it seemed like he was done with the conversation. He slowly walked passed me towards the road, avoiding my gaze. When he stood next to me, I reached out for his hand without thinking. This had him jump a little and he froze on the spot. I did as well, since I had no idea what I wanted to achieve from this. His hand was warm though, his fingers long and twitching slightly in my hold. 

"They're lucky to have you, Kai," I then said, wondering where I was going with this, wondering at all where the words were coming from. "That you care for your brothers, I mean," I added, when he turned his head to look at me. "And to answer your first question, I can accept that you don't know what to think of me yet. It wouldn't be fair on my part to ask it of you, when recently I'm not even sure what to make of me," I chuckled. "So I guess we both can take our time to figure it out," I finally said and slowly let go of his hand, having said what I wanted to. 

My fingers slid over his, falling down to my side, but that was when my hand was caught again. This time, Kai was holding it, but again, he didn't meet my gaze as I tried to face him. 

"I don't dislike you," he said in a low rumble, the corner of his mouth twitching a bit. "Just so you know," he said quietly. His face was closed and indifferent, but mine was smiling. 

"Right back at you," I replied, squeezing his hand a little before we let go. Kai watched me for a second, and who knows what went on in that kid's head, but then he turned away. 

"Ah, here you are! I was looking for you, you know. Look what I got," Xiumin's quiet voice sounded, followed by the cheerful barking of the rottweiler. I watched as he put a collar on her, the dog complying meekly. "There, now you won't get caught," he petted her. 

"I don't get why you don't just take the dog home with you, Xiumin-hyung," D.O., commented. 

"That's because his parents have a strict policy not to bring his girlfriends to his bedroom," Luhan quipped, earning a fist against the arm from Xiumin. 

"She seems to like her freedom, so I don't see why I should force her to stay in a house all day," Xiumin answered, the rottweiler happily by his side. 

"Ha, maybe she's got some wolf in her, too," Kris commented. 

"Of course she does, dogs are descendants from wolves," Suho replied matter-of-factly. 

"Ah, then that makes doggie-ah family, right?" Lay asked, chuckling. 

"Yeah, about that, you should give her a name, hyung," Sehun noted. "Can't keep calling her dog, rottweiler, or mutt, the entire time." 

"Hm, I'll think about it," Xiumin promised, patting the blissful dog's head. 

"Hey, maybe you could call her Minnie Junior!" Chen then prompted, his signature childlike laughter ringing in the air. 

"Don't people usually give their girlfriends pet names, though? Maybe something like Pumpkin Spice Latte?" Baekhyun added in jest, flinching away nervously when Xiumin raised his hand, D.O. practically encouraging him to hit the boy whilst surpressing his laughter. 

"Hey, that's actually not a bad idea! Xiumin-hyung likes coffee right? Introducing, Miss Frappuccino!" Chanyeol blurted under the laughter of his brothers, though it sounded like Tao's high-pitched laughter took the cake. I was chuckling too, myself. No one, in their right mind, would ever believe them to be shapeshifting, magic wielding boys, based on the conversation they were holding. To the outside world we all must look like a bunch of teens hanging out during afterhours with possible mischief on their minds, but nothing out of the ordinary. 

"Why not ask the dog-expert what would be a suitable name? What do you think, Kai?" Xiumin asked, having seen his younger brother and I smiled at the brothers when they noticed me as well. 

"I think you're all scaring the poor dog away," Kai deadpanned, kneeling down so that the rottweiler could be comforted in his arms. 

"Yah, were you waiting with Jae-noona, alone, Kai?" Sehun asked, pouting slightly when Kai nodded casually. 

"I left the house when I got Luhan's text. I didn't realize that I'd be too early again," I explained. "So, can we do this?" I then asked, since I waited around long enough. I wanted to go, I wanted to find that pulse, I wanted answers. I had a good feeling, despite of my nervousness, that we might find it tonight. Provided that the white wolf makes an appearance again. 

"We should make some rules first," Suho suddenly said, a frown of concern on his face. He was met by protests. 

"Suho-hyung, we already know!" Chen whined. 

"I'm serious. I saw a couple of black vans at the edge of the forest on the other side," Suho elaborated, directing himself at me. "They're from E.T. I think it's wise we should be extra careful tonight. We don't move around independently, we stay as a pack, together. No magic, unless necessary, and we keep a low profile. Is that clear?" 

I rolled my shoulders and nodded, running my hands over my hair, feeling it grow, cyan green locks replacing the brown. "Let's go." 

We ran in a perfect formation through the damp forest, the boys insisting that I stay in the middle of the pack. Suho took the lead and Kris, who was also larger than average in his wolf form, guarded the rear. We ran in a diamond formation, all of us on alert and on the lookout for the mysterious pulse of energy. We were deep in the forest when Suho skidded to a halt, prompting the rest of us to stop as well. His hair spiked up and he showed his teeth slightly. The signal was clear though; danger

Is it the ghost-wolf? Baekhyun asked from behind me. 

No. I don't know what it is, but I don't like the smell. Suho answered, hunching down. Focus, listen. You can hear them. 

Sure enough, when we became quiet, soft voices had started to fill the air and I understood Suho when he said that he didn't like the smell. The scent smelled foul, like sulphur, or something rotting. But amongst those scents, there was one particular smell I knew very well. I perked up my ears, sniffing the air to distinguish that one scent. 

D.O. noticed my heightened state of alertness and came to my side. He nudged me with his snout. What is it, Jae? 

That smell...I know that smell. 

Which one? The rotting eggs? Chanyeol asked in disbelief. 

I shook my head and gave a little growl, since I was in no mood to joke around. Ginger lei, I replied, feeling my heart thump. I have to make sure, I told them and bolted off before they could argue. Immediately, they followed, Suho snapping his jaws at me and jumped in front of me to stop me. 

Jae, are you insane? What did we agree?! I'm not letting you go after them. That foul smelling scent obviously means danger, and its tied to those E.T. vans I mentioned before! They might be setting something up again! 

Be that as it may, there's more than just that scent. I just have to make sure, Suho. 

Make sure of what, noona? Sehun asked, also standing close as though he was afraid I'd run off again. 

The scent of ginger lei. You can smell that, too, can't you? I asked them. 

It's a bit out of place, but I can smell it, Kris stated. What of it though? Is that the scent of the ghost-wolf? 

I shook my head, feeling a bit sick. My dad. I was met by silence and I couldn't blame them. Maybe I didn't smell it right, but I just needed to see, just to be sure. He'd told me that he was going to the office, to work. I didn't want to know what he was doing here, if he really was here, but I still needed to know. Why would my father hang out with a bunch of people that obviously had such a nasty smell about them? My heart sank when I suddenly thought of the possibility that maybe he was in trouble somehow...

Suho, please, let me see. It'll be quick, they won't know that we're here, I pleaded, that particular thought distressing me. 

It may be useful to see what those E.T. guys are doing in this part of the woods, Suho, Kris added to convince him, pleading my case. 

The leader pondered the words and looked at me. We go together. Quickly and quietly, he urged and I nodded fiercely. We take the lead, you stay where we can see you.

Thank you, I told him and we followed our noses. Taking refuge in the shadows of the trees, hiding behind shrubs, we finally came across a group of E.T. Corp people. It struck me as odd to see them wearing black uniforms, sneaking about as though they were doing something illegal. They were busy setting up strange-looking trees with fake-looking vines that needed electricity to function. Was this the new security system my father talked about? Making them harder to notice didn't equal safety, though. 

The twelve seemed to realize this as well, growling softly at the new fences. 

Stay clear from those, came Suho's redundant warning. 

Is your father here, Jae-yah? Lay asked, sitting quietly beside me. I think my eyes played a trick on me, because I could've sworn that even in his wolf form, his dimple was showing. 

I don't see- wait. My ears perked and I turned the other way. I my lips anxiously. This way. We snuck off to the other side of the area, hiding behind trees to look upon two people having a conversation with one another. My eyes widened when I saw my father, talking to a tall-legged woman with pouty lips and long black hair. She was oozing y and I didn't like that they stood so close to each other. What the heck is Dad doing? Did he lie to me? To poor Mom who was so fatigued taking care of the household when he was 'at work' that she fell asleep immediately? He was supposed to be at the office, not gallivanting about in the woods in the middle of the night while chatting up a voluptuous brunette! Who the hell is that woman anyway?! She stinks of burning wood. 

W-wow... um, who is that? asked Kris, though he asked the question as though he was afraid it may offend me and who could blame him? What else were people to think if they saw a married man speaking to a beautiful woman in an abandoned forest at night? I hated to think that Dad may be the type to cheat on his loving wife, and I refused to believe it. But what was with the smiles the woman beamed his way, and why did Dad have such a heated look in his eyes? I was confused. It felt too soon to be angry and upset, just by seeing this, but why is he here? Why was he with that woman in particular? Was she working for E.T. as well? Was I witnessing something I wasn't supposed to? 

I let out a soft, but deep growl that reverberated in my chest when I saw the woman place her hand on my father's arm, and the anger was starting to brew upon seeing him move away from her instinctively. My father was a loyal man, and that woman better not try anything funny. Dangerous or not, I'll sink my teeth in that milky neck of hers if she tried to seduce him. 

Keep calm, Jae, Luhan's gentle, soothing voice sounded. 

Why are you in my head? I bit back, still annoyed. 

I'm not. I'm talking to you, he said quietly. It may not be how it appears, he said a little cryptically, making me turn towards him. If you want, with your permission, I can find out what they're talking about, he offered, also looking at Suho for an okay. 

It would mean that I'd be violating my father's privacy, but everything about the situation didn't sit well with me. With a stone weighing heavy in the pit of my stomach, I nodded. At that moment, Luhan's eyes glowed a bit and it kind of felt like another frequency opened in my head, almost like a radio trying to find the perfect signal, tuning in. 

"...never gave permission for that!" Dad told the smiling woman, and I realized now that he was angry at her, but in a way that he didn't want to show it. 

"You're acting as though we are hunting these poor wolves, but I assure you, sir, that is absolutely not the case. We're looking out for them," she argued in an eerily calm voice that was devoid of any emotion. She sounded hollow to me. Scary

"With these?!" Dad grabbed a handgun from one of the metal suitcases nearby and I gasped under my breath. Suho and Kris exchanged glances. 

We should leave, Suho suggested. 

Not yet, please, I urged. We stayed. 

"It's just a precaution, sir, just to be safe. The stun-guns work perfectly fine and I'm sure there's no need for the real deal," the woman assured him, but I didn't like the sound of this conversation. Since when was E.T. Corp so interested in wolves? Now something smelled foul and fishy...

"Regardless, I want these gone," Dad stated firmly. "My daughter found one of these infernal things in the dashboard of a company vehicle. I was so startled I lied to her on the spot, how it's not a big deal- except that it is, Miss Kumiho, especially since I never granted you permission to issue weapons other than stun-guns!" 

"How could we ensure the safety of our men then, sir? We concern ourselves with the safety of wild animals- emphasis on wild - but you would not grant the workers the same guarantee to keep them from harm? What if a wolf decided to attack, for the heck of it? What if the stun-gun isn't enough to immobilize it? You would take the risk of getting someone killed, sir?" she asked in a friendly tone, but I could hear the sarcasm.

"If a stun-gun isn't enough protection, I wonder why we're bothering putting up these systems in the first place. What use is there in installing them if you're perfectly at ease with the idea of having to shoot one of those poor creatures if push came to shove?" Dad reasoned and this shut the woman up. Go, Dad, tell her! 

I think we've heard enough now, Luhan, Suho decided and the signal went away. The woman's lips were moving and my father responded to her, but I didn't know what they were saying. 

Forget the pulse for tonight. We're leaving, Suho stated in an authoritative voice that even had me flinch for a second. The pack started to move under the command of the leader, but I was still hesitant. I was still looking at the mystery woman and my Dad, putting up a fierce discussion with her, so it seemed. 

Jae, come on, Suho ordered and I wish I could've clacked my tongue before relucantly going away. 

That was pretty intense...Are you okay, noona? asked Tao, his fur painted with dark blotches here and there. 

I think so. Mostly confused, though. My dad didn't seem to like that woman much, I pondered. I don't think I like her either, I decided, shaking my head. 

Do you want me to huff and puff and blow her away, noona? Sehun asked playfully, though if I told him that I did want him to do it, he'd probably actually would. 

Thanks for the offer, Sehun, but I don't think it'll solve anything, though, I told him. He pounced in front of me, his tail up in the air. 

Are you sure? It won't be a problem, he tried to convince me, pouncing from side to side as if he was ready to attack already. Strangely there was something very youthful about his demeanor, like a young pup who was trying to show his worth. 

Sehun, be careful, don't be stupid, Suho warned while we started walking away. Sehun ran ahead and then ran back, hopping on fallen trees and pouncing off of them again, like a hyperactive kid. 

You'll just have to say the word, noona, and I'll take care of it, he stated boisterously, completely ignoring Suho. 

Maybe I could finish it up with a lightning strike combo, you know, when she's up in the air! Chen suddenly chimed in, tongue wagging out of the corner of his mouth. 

Exactly! Sehun exclaimed. 

Yah, Chen, don't encourage him, Kris warned. And Sehun, stop being ridiculous and don't walk backwards like that, you're making me nervous!

It were moments like these that reminded me that Sehun - and Chen, for that matter -, were younger than me. But, I suppose this was Sehun's way of trying to make me feel better.

It'll be easy, noona, he continued, pretending that Kris was nothing but air. Here, check this out, he then turned around sharply and let out a strange sounding bark. The moment the sound left his mouth, a small tornado swept up the fallen leaves from the forest floor, trailing steadily towards a funny-looking tree. The tornado hit the bark of the tree with impressive force, and I'd expected the wood would shatter - except that it didn't. Instead, the blast of wind revealed strange wiring and red flickering lights that were hidden behind a metal panel, something I was sure a normal tree wouldn't have. 

What the...? D.O. tilted his head, looking at the strange contraption, especially when one of the vines shot loose by itself and slithered over the ground like a snake. 

Sehun, watch out! Suho exclaimed, startled as he shot forward to his younger brother. I watched breathlessly as the vine had somehow turned into a frightening needle, aiming itself at an unsuspecting Sehun. The young wolf would have definitely been hit, had Kai not teleported his way to his side, swallowing him in his shadows and moved the both of them a few feet out of harm's way. 

Oh my God, are you alright, Sehun?! I rushed towards them, but the lean wolf was obviously startled. 

That was absolutely irresponsible of you! Why do you never listen when I tell you to be careful?! Suho growled, headbutting the younger wolf against the side. 

I-I'm s-sorry, hyung, he stammered, his lisp perfectly audible. I-I didn't- didn't know, uh...Chen-hyung? 

All eyes were focused on the smaller wolf now, who was still staring at the new security system. I didn't sense anything, hyung, he told Suho with a voice so frail I thought it would break. Why didn't I sense anything? 

They must've adjusted the frequency of the electric pulses somehow, Luhan answered, watching Xiumin freeze the needle-vine until he could shatter it. 

Here's a question, Xiumin then stated oh-so-calmly while my heart was ready to thump out of my chest, why would they tag wolves with intricate tracking devices? These are used for hunting. 

Hunting?! What do you mean, hunting, hyung? Chanyeol asked, bewildered. 

Jae, do you know why E.T. Corp is suddenly interested in wolves? Suho asked me, but how was I supposed to know that? Obviously my father didn't tell me everything! 

How should I know, Suho? My father doesn't talk about his work, and it seems pretty obvious that he hadn't been updated on the situation either, I argued, though I was starting to have a very bad feeling about all of this. None of it made sense. None of it summed up. Why was my father here and why didn't he seem to know what was going on? He was the CEO for goodness' sakes! Why were the fences designed so intelligently and so dangerously, with the obvious intent to capture or perhaps, even kill wolves? Had someone from their company seen any of us? Do they know who we are and what we do? Why is Baekhyun moving closer to the fence of doom...?

Baekhyun, step back! Kris warned, but it was too late. Having hovered too closely by it, a sound, so horrifying and head splitting, went off like an alarm. I heard my own whimpers of pain and the yelping of the brothers around me. I scratched against my ears, but I couldn't keep out the sound. 

Argh, someone make it stop! Tao pleaded. 

I hear voices! Luhan then prompted out of the blue, wincing in pain. 

So what, you always hear voices! Xiumin retaliated grumpily, but Luhan shoved the eldest wolf to shut him up.

The voices are coming from behind those trees, Luhan clarified, and I could hear him gasp for breath. I was trying to bite away the pain myself, trying to drown out that horrid alarm. 

We have to move- quickly! It was Chen that suggested it. Hurry! he pushed Suho roughly out of the way at the moment that a sudden flashlight shone towards our direction and a deceptive bolt of electricity was zapped towards Suho. It would've hit, had Chen not pushed him out of the way.

Stun-gun, Kris gasped, looking up when heavy footsteps and raised voices errupted from the trees, lights searching their way through the night, trying to find us. Everyone, run! he bouldered and none of us had to be told twice. 

Jae, stay close! D.O. instructed while he ran by my side. Chen! he called over. 

Got it! Chen responded, flanking my other side. 

Hey, what are you doing? Don't protect me, you idiots, look out for each other! I urged, adrenaline pumping through my veins as we ran away from our pursuers, who had no intention whatsoever to slow down. 

"It's a whole pack of them!" one of them shouted, while the buzzing of stun-guns shot through the air.

"Catch them!"

Suho growled viciously when our path was suddenly blocked by another group that tried to close us in. My heart raced as fast as my feet were racing, knowing full well in how much danger we were in.

Hyung, Kai suddenly said, directed towards Suho. 

Forget it! No magic, they'll see, the leader replied as he tried to carve a path to safety for us. I looked back anxiously at the group of people chasing after us, the dreadful sense of foreboding telling me what I had come to suspect: E.T. Corp had a hidden agenda, and for some reason, it was focusing solely on wolves. 

Dad, what have you gotten yourself into?

Quick, this way! Suho pointed out, still at the head of the pack, Kris, Kai, Chanyeol and Tao snapping and growling at the back, trying to scare off our hunters, to have them keep their distance. We ran down a slippery, uneven hill, which was difficult for human feet to run over, but the chasers went after us still. My breathing was rapid and stilled completely when something hooked over my front paw and I lost my balance. I tumbled helplessly over the hill, whimpering every time I struck the ground. I heard the boys call out for me in distress, but my world was spinning. I felt the pain shoot through my body when I crashed through a thicket of bushes before skidding to a halt and bumping my back against a tree. I'm a freaking Queen of Elegance...ow...

I blinked my eyes, but my vision was still a little blurred. I could tell that the boys weren't here yet and I could only hope they were still safe. It was eerily quiet, where I was, and my muscles twitched in protest when I tried to get to my feet. If those people were still after us I had to make sure to move quickly when the boys got here. But then the blood drained from my body upon realizing that my nose had started to itch at the scent of powerful burning wood. 

"Well, well, well, what have we here?" I heard someone coo, prompting me to get up, even though the pain was kicking my metaphorical nuts. I growled and bared my teeth at Miss y Hollow as she watched me and I quickly checked the surroundings to look for my dad. He wasn't here. He was close, but not here. 

"My, my, you are a beauty," she said, approaching me, and this had every single hair stand on end. What kind of person, in their righteous mind, would react this way upon seeing a wild wolf? I automatically snapped at her hand when she reached out to me and her eyes widened before her pouty lips were formed into a smile. 

"Temper, temper," she waved her finger at me and I snapped at her again. "Now, now, that's not very nice is it? This is not how you should treat an old friend," she mused in a cold voice and I turned into a statue. I was tense from top to bottom, hearing only the beating of my heart and the rushing of my blood. Even my breath had stilled upon the realization that this woman had green eyes. I felt like my brain had imploded and panic was starting to bubble up from my toes up towards my body, ready to flood me. 

"Do you remember? I bet you do," she grinned as I tried to suppress my panic and opted for anger instead. Anger was good. 

"Well now, if you would just hold still like a good little wolf, I promise you that this won't hurt." Out of nowhere, she whipped out a sharp needle, steadily walking towards me. It was a sight that woke me up and I growled ferociously, lashing out with my claws and wounding her outstretched hand. The needle dropped on the ground and she hissed in pain, blood dripping from where I'd scratched her. 

"Ugh, you really shouldn't have done that," she tsked, reaching behind her and revealing a weapon, pointing it at me. Was it a stun-gun?

"Miss Kumiho! What in the kingdom of God is going on? I hear the men talking about chasing a pack of wolves?! Why would you give them the order to chase a pack of wolves when the security system can do the tagging if necessary?" Dad bursted from the trees like an oblivious hero, jolting back upon seeing me. I was thrilled to see him, but he didn't even know who I was... Oh no... should I- should I change back? 

"Miss Kumiho, stay calm. Can you back away slowly?" My dad said, totally misreading the situation. 

No, Dad, I'm the one that needs saving, not her! Stay away from her, she's dangerous! I whined and whimpered, growled, even, but that just made him more nervous. What should I do? What could I do? If I change back then the secret's out, but if I don't...

I caught the little smirk the woman shot at me before she opened . "It already attacked me, sir," the woman stated in a shaky voice, showing him the wound on her trembling hand, looking as though she was on the verge of tears. 

That. ! She's playing you, Dad, don't buy into it! My angry, incoherent growling did nothing to plead my case as the woman pretended to shrink back. Dad, not knowing any better, moved to her side to defend her. Damn it! You noble dumbbell, she doesn't need protecting! Dad, please, it's me! I whined, attempting to approach him, but he only moved backwards. 

I wanted to change back now, damn the consequences, but I couldn't. I literally couldn't. I was too new at this to consciously and easily shift shapes, and I couldn't focus. Dad, I tried, but only a low rumble came from my mouth. 

"There's a gun on the ground," I then heard the woman whisper into my father's ear. "We can sedate it and make a run for it," she suggested and my dad moved his eyes to where the weapon was. I shook my head. 

Dad, no! Don't do it! Look, look! I mean absolutely no harm! I meekly sat down, showing him how perfectly obedient and tame I was. He frowned at me in suspicion. He didn't buy it. Before I could move to stop him from reaching for the gun, he already held it in his hand. 

"Good, good, shoot it, sir, before it attacks the both of us," the woman urged. 

Dad shook his head. "It's not doing anything, we should leave," he said instead. 

"Look what it did to my hand, sir. It already tasted blood, it won't take long before it wants to taste more," she lied- why would she lie? What the hell was going on?!

Dad nervously put up the gun and pointed it at me upon hearing me growl again and I flinched. He wouldn't pull the trigger. Not my father. 

"This is a stun-gun, right?" he asked her through clenched teeth. The woman only nodded, but said nothing. I looked down the barrel of the weapon and it irked me how I couldn't tell a gun apart. 

"Hurry, sir. Look at its agitation," she instructed in his ear and I kept quiet, so that Dad could see I meant no harm. She was the one that got herself wounded. I never would've attacked her otherwise! But, Dad didn't know that. 

"It's alright," he then interjected, looking straight at me. "You'll be safe after this, I promise," he said solemnly and my breath hitched in my throat as he aimed the gun at me. I crushed my eyes shut as he slowly squeezed the trigger, but then- nothing happened. Instead of a shot, I heard a terrifying growl from behind me, and out leapt a dark wolf, standing protectively in front of me. His razor sharp teeth were bared, his claws scraped the earth below and his red eyes shone with a fury that had both adults jumping back. 

Kai!

Don't worry, noona, I'm here, his voice was calm as opposed to his appearance and he refused to move out of the way. Dad was visibly shaking when he attempted to raise the gun at Kai instead. I twitched when Kai moved to snap his jaw at him, the woman letting out a shriek as he also snapped at her. 

Don't hurt my dad, Kai, he doesn't know, I pleaded, and Kai only complied by means of a low growl. 

"Sir, if you don't shoot the male first, others will come and I can guarantee you that we'll be dead before we know it," the woman was sprouting nonsense, but her fear, this time, seemed real. Hearing the comment made Kai roar once more, attempting to chase them away. 

"You're sure this is a stun-gun?" Dad gulped, backing away and pointing it at a vicious Kai. I couldn't do anything. I just sat there, watching helplessly. 

"Positive, sir, please, hurry!" the woman pleaded. Kai continued his growling, lowering himself to the ground. 

"Okay, okay," Dad muttered, pointing the weapon at Kai, but lowering it again when he looked around. Flashes of red shone in the darkness of the woods and one by one, more wolves appeared, growling as they stepped forward. 

Calvary is here, Kai stated, giving me a quick sideways glance. 

I was only a little relieved, since seeing the pack of wolves brought my father to reconsider his plan. "We should leave instead," he told the woman. "They haven't attacked yet, which probably means that if we don't do anything to harm them, they won't harm us," Dad reasoned as I subtly bobbed my head to his words. 

"Will you take a good look at them? Do they look to be tame puppies that won't attack the moment we turn our backs at them? Sedate them, sir, while you have the chance," she argued, letting out a startled shriek when the pack commenced their growling once more. Kai hunched down, seemingly ready to attack if necessary. 

Kai, don't do anything rash, we're just trying to scare them away, Luhan reminded the youth. 

I know, but I don't like this woman. She's purposely trying to keep Mr. Miyano here, he grumbled. We all startled when Dad unexpectedly turned his weapon to Sehun who had approached steadily and this nearly made Kai snap out of control. He pounced to draw his attention, but the sudden movement was enough to startle the adults. 

"Sir, please!" the woman begged. Dad's movements were becoming more frantic as he realized that more wolves had shown up. He jerked the gun nervously at various wolves, before settling on Kai. It didn't help that Kai didn't take the gesturing threat sitting down, nor that the others were so worried and anxious for our safety that they were closing in as well. 

"Oh God, we're going to die," the woman said desperately. 

Why won't you just leave, woman?! Kai grunted, directing his attention to her. 

"We're not going to die," Dad stated determinedly. "You're positive this is a stun-gun?" he asked thrice, and the woman nodded her head. 

We should leave. If they won't, we have to. Kai, don't play with fire, Suho spoke. 

"Shoot the alpha, sir, the others won't know what to do," she pointed at Kai, the situation getting out of hand. In a reflex, I moved towards Kai, attempting to push him out of harm's way. The behavior must've been mindboggling for my father as he witnessed two wolves trying to stand in front of each other. Kai was stronger and faster than me and had no trouble eventually pushing me roughly away. The fight had my father rattled, though, his hand shaking where he was holding the weapon. 

"Now, sir! Now, shoot! Shoot him!" 

Kai, don't direct yourself towards him, you idiot! D.O. yelled, the twelve of us watching in horror when Kai had leapt towards my father on instinct and I shrieked when a loud blast echoed through the still night air. 

When I opened my eyes, Kai laid unmoving to the side. My father, my poor father, who was unwittingly pulled into this mess, stood wide-eyed and in shock, dropping the firearm mistaken for a stun-gun, while he knelt down in front of a second wolf, whimpering and bleeding. 

"Oh God, what have I done?" he muttered to himself. 

Still shocked myself, I didn't know what was going on until Kai rose from the ground, shaking off the dirt and turning around. He quickly ran towards the wounded wolf that pushed him out of harm's way in the last second, angrily growling at my father to chase him back. I felt the tears sting my eyes when I recognized that gentle gleam in the wounded wolf's eyes but it was Sehun who gasped out his name in utter disbelief. 

Lay-hyung...! 

The next thing I know, we were surrounded by black mist that rolled in, while my gaze switched from Lay to my distraught father. Before Kai teleported all of us to safety, I focused on the woman with green eyes.

I don't think I'll ever be able to forget that wicked grin she beamed.