Birthday Boy

Boys, Boys, Boys
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Guqbi69_wk

Yoon Mirae: Touch Love

------------------------------------------

Mark opened his eyes and stared up at the ceiling. He just lay there without moving or uttering one sound as he mulled over today’s date.

It was January 17, which meant it was his birthday.

He was 18 years old now.

He didn’t feel like one, most likely because his stepmother and father still treated him like the neglected child he was raised to be.

They probably don’t even know it’s my birthday. They never remembered. The only ones who remembered my birthday are…

Mark turned his head and saw the photos on his nightstand.

My mom and Yoonjung.

He forced himself to get out of bed and the hot water to take a long shower. After cleaning up, he dressed and went downstairs.

His father and stepmother were at the dining table eating breakfast. As expected, no one wished him a happy birthday.

His father’s nose was stuck in the morning newspaper, and he called the maid over to refill his coffee for the third time. His stepmother lathered jam on her bread and glanced upward to lock eyes with him. One corner of her lips surged upwards into a smirk, but she was careful not to gloat too much. “Good morning, Mark,” she crooned like the role of the perfect stepmother she was pretending to be.

Mark nodded in acknowledgement and sat across from her.

“Mark, you should verbally acknowledge your mother instead of just nodding. That’s just rude.”

Mark gritted the back of his teeth and clenched his fists at the table. She’s NOT my mother.

“That’s all right, honey. I know Mark still cares for me like his mother. Don’t you, Mark? He’s just shy, that’s all,” his stepmother cooed with pouty lips.

Mark rolled his eyes. She’s the devil in sheep’s clothing. I can’t stand her. If I had a birthday wish, it would be for her to disappear into thin air and never come back in my life again.

His father lowered the newspaper and raised an eyebrow at him. “Shy? She’s been your mother all these years. I think it’s time you get over your timidity and man up.”

Mark poked the inside of his cheek with his tongue and bit down on his tongue to prevent himself from exploding.

“Honey, don’t scold him. Mark is the perfect son. Sure he glares at me sometimes and refuses to listen to me,” his stepmother glanced his way. “But he’s still the perfect son to me.”

His father furrowed his eyebrows in distaste. “What’s this I’m hearing? Mark, are you still mistreating your stepmother?”

No, dear father. You got it all wrong. She’s the one mistreating me. She’s been abusing me behind your back, and you don’t even know it.

The maid came by and filled Mark’s cup with coffee. He took a sip and reached for a toast, but his stepmother caught his hand. “Mark, your father is asking you a question.”

Mark shifted his gaze to her and almost growled at her. He wrenched his hand away from her and couldn’t control his stewing anger as he glared hatefully at her.

“Mark, lower your eyes! That is not the way you look at your mother!” His father barked.

“Oh, honey, i-it’s okay. I’m used to it now. He always does this when you’re away anyways.” His stepmother sniffled and pretended to wipe a nonexistent tear away with her cloth napkin.

His father tossed the newspaper aside and turned to him. “I want you to be on your best behavior with your mother, all right? If you continue this rebellious behavior, I won’t consider giving you any inheritance. It’ll all go to your mother, got it?”

She’d love that, wouldn’t she? Mark looked at her. His stepmother was smirking, and his father didn’t even notice.

“Tuan Yien!” His father barked his Chinese name. “Answer me!”

Before Mark could point out his stepmother’s two-faced act, which his father wouldn’t believe even if he saw it, the maid entered the dining room. “Excuse me…” All three of them looked up. The maid looked vexed. “There’s a girl here…she said she’s a friend of Master Mark…”

Mark looked confused. Who…?

“Hello!” A cheerful voice chirped. He turned his head and balked in shock. Yoonjung! His heart thudded against his chest as his pulse quickened. What was she doing in his own personal hell?

Yoonjung beamed at his father and stepmother as if they were actually decent people.

“Who are you?” Her stepmother asked in a flat voice. Of course she wouldn’t be pleased by any friend of Mark’s. There was a reason why he didn’t bring his friends home.

Yoonjung turned to his father and bowed. “Hello, I’m Seo Yoonjung.”

“Yoonjung?” The name rang a bell in his head.

Mark wanted to bang both his father and stepmother against the wall. No matter how many times they saw her, they forgot about her. That was how insignificant he was to them.

“I’m one of Mark’s closest friends,” Yoonjung said, still smiling warmly.

“Mark, you didn’t tell us you had a girlfriend,” his stepmother remarked snidely.

“Oh, now I remember. You’ve been his friend ever since he entered JYP High School. You’re the only girl he’s ever around. What are you doing at our home so early in the morning anyways?” His father inquired.

“She came to see her boyfriend, of course.” His stepmother chortled.

Mark shot her a glare, prompting her to shut up.

“I’m here to take out Mark for his birthday,” Yoonjung declared boldly without cracking her voice.

“Birthday?” His father stared at him as if he didn’t know what the word birthday meant. Even his stepmother looked genuinely surprised. Yes, today is my birthday that you forgot.

Yoonjung smiled even wider. “Yes, you do know that today is his birthday, don’t you? He is your son, after all.” She blinked with pure innocence but Mark knew she was doing that on purpose so that they felt some sort of guilt. He almost broke down and cracked up right there.

“Of course we knew. Like you said, he is our son,” his stepmother growled with disapproving eyes.

“Oh! That’s good! I was so worried that everyone would forget his birthday and he would end up totally miserable and lonely! It would just be AWFUL if someone forgot it!” Yoonjung claimed dramatically.

His stepmother rolled her eyes while his father just blinked at her.

“What present did you get from your wonderful, loving parents, Mark? Can you pretty please show me?” Yoonjung clasped her hands together and did the perfect act of being an excited girl by jumping up and down.

Mark clamped his teeth over his lower lip to keep from laughing. “Um…”

His stepmother cried out, “Excuse me. Don’t you think-“

“Oh, whatever. You can just tell me about the gifts later. Right now, you need to come somewhere with me.” Yoonjung came over, grabbed his arm, and hauled him up.

“Uh, where?” Mark asked, just as baffled as his father and stepmother were.

“To celebrate your birthday, of course! Unless…” Yoonjung turned to his father. “Your parents planned something for you…?”

His father, clearly embarrassed, cleared his throat into his fist. “No, um, go ahead. Have fun, Mark. Do as you please. Let me know, er, if you need anything.”

Yoonjung grinned brightly. “Thank you so much!” Then she turned to Mark. “You should get ready first! Come on!” She grabbed Mark’s wrist and dragged him upstairs. “Which one is your room? It’s been too long since I’ve come here.”

“Right here.” Mark was glad he had made his bed that morning.

Yoonjung went inside and looked around in awe. “Okay, now I remember what your room looks like. It’s huge, and you can see everything.” She walked up to the glass walls and looked out with a whistle. “Better not change here, or your fan girls will be able to take a good peek.”

Mark smiled. He felt lighter with her presence in the room. She had that kind of soothing effect on him.

Mark saw the photo of her on his nightstand, and his smile vanished. He glanced at her with alarm and quickly swept the photo of her inside his drawer. He didn’t want her to suspect anything…yet. “What are you really doing here though?” Mark asked.

Yoonjung spun around to face him. “Didn’t you hear me? We’re going to celebrate your birthday.”

Mark tilted his head. “But-“

“I already know your parents planned nothing for you and have zero plans to give you any gifts. So I took the liberty of making your 18th birthday the best birthday ever, so just trust me, and go change!” Yoonjung grabbed him by his shoulders and steered him towards his walk-in closet. “Dress nice but casually!” She closed the door and waited for him to come out.

A moment later, Mark came out dressed as she had recommended.

Yoonjung looked him up and down and smiled in approval. “Good. Now, come on, birthday boy.” She led the way.

They arrived downstairs, and she turned her perky attitude on. “Thank you so much for letting Mark go out with us! I know you must have had HUGE plans for him. Instead, we’ll give Mark a good time! See you next time!” Yoonjung bowed and left.

Mark glanced at his shocked father and irritated stepmother and left with a small smirk on his lips. “You laid it on pretty think,” he murmured to Yoonjung once they left his property.

Yoonjung rolled her eyes up to his face. “Admit it. You were satisfied with their ‘deer in the headlights’ expression.”

Mark’s smirk grew, and she lightly elbowed him. “See? I know you too well, Mark Tuan.”

Mark halted. “Seriously though. Where are you taking me?”

“It’ a secret.” Yoonjung hauled a cab and motioned for him to come.

Mark raised an eyebrow. “Are you kidnapping me?” “Yes, I am,” Yoonjung admitted.

He took a step back. She held out her hand with a tilt of her head. “Come on, Mark. You trust me, don’t you?”

Yes. Yes, I do. Mark walked towards her and slipped his hand into hers.

They went into the cab, and she told the driver where to go.

“We’re going that far?” He blinked in surprise.

“Trust me. You’ll love it.” Yoonjung smiled as she texted JB that they had left Mark’s house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqtjMEcShV8

2PM: Go Crazy

----------------------------------------------

About an hour and a half later, they arrived at their destination. Mark stepped out of the cab with a look of awe. “Paintballing?”

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARK!” The rest of the guys jumped out and attacked him with tight hugs.

“I LOVE YOU, MAN! THANKS FOR BEING BORN!” Jackson embraced him with a fake sniffle.

“Get off me!” Mark choked.

“Here’s your birthday present!” Jackson planted a wet kiss on his cheek.

Mark threw him off with a scowl and wiped his cheek with the sleeve of his shirt. “I really didn’t need that.”

JB thumped him on the shoulder with a good-natured grin. “Happy birthday, Mark.”

Mark smiled softly. “Thanks.” He looked at his group of friends and knew everything would be all right as long as they were in his life.

“Now let’s go have some fun! I’m ready to kill someone!” Youngjae pumped his fists with enthusiasm.

“Slow down, cowboy.” JR laughed. “We still need to put some protective gear on.”

Jackson swung his arm around Mark. “Let’s go already!”

The eight of them headed inside. After changing, they got their paintball guns and went out to the spacious yard.

“You ready?” JR grinned at Mark. Mark nodded with a shrug. “You just point and shoot, right?”

“Don’t pretend you’re not an expert at this. I still feel that bruise you gave me last year.” JR pouted and rubbed his left thigh.

“I remember that! You were DYING!” Youngjae cracked up.

JR raised an eyebrow. “I’m happy someone finds amusement out of my pain.”

“Let’s lay some ground rules,” JB decided. “Why? Scared?” Jackson smirked.

“Uh, yes, and you should be, too. One wrong move, and we won’t ever be able to have children,” JB pointed out. All the guys winced and crossed their legs.

“You’re so luck you’re a girl, Yoonjung.” Youngjae sighed.

Yoonjung rolled her eyes. “Your ignorance of the female anatomy humors m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter