002

Throwback and the Future(Made in the USA part 3)

Los Angeles, California

Senior Year

 

 

“Mark Tuan!” Saehee hissed from underneath her covers. It was six in the morning, and somehow her bestfriend was already up, trying to wake her up for school.

Blech.

We’re going to be later, Sae. Get up.

It’s..the first day of school, we can still ditch.” She groaned as Mark yanked the sheet from her, she winced as the air-conditioning hit her bare legs.

She sat up, her hair all over the place, Mark was seated on the windowsill, typing on his phone.

How are you up so early? You’re supposed to be a jock. What is wrong with the stereotypes nowadays?

Mark just looked at the door to her bathroom pointedly, signaling for her to shower.

And are you not afraid that I might be under the blanket? You just~

You never sleep , miss Jung. I’m sure of that, now go and shower.

 

 

 “I don’t get it.” Saehee stated as she tossed her bag in Mark’s Lexus and got in. He started the car and looked her.

They want me to study in Korea for college.

That doesn’t sound so bad.” Mark replied as he drove, Saehee raised her knees to her chest.

“I don’t want to leave LA, Tuan.”

“I know.” He replied in perfect Korean, Saehee smiled.

“You have tryouts today?” She asked.

We do, for the freshmen, and that’s why I’m leaving the keys to you.

So, you’re being a gentleman and not let me walk home?” She mused, Mark shook his head at her.

If I don’t do this, you will nag me for the whole semester, Sae.

 

Saehee walked in the halls of Arcadia High School, she sighed before heading for her locker.

Saehee,” She looked up and found her friend Allison leaning against her locker.

How was summer for you, Al?

I had to spend my summer at New York, I didn’t get to work on my tan.” She said dryly, Saehee chuckled.

You?

I was in Korea for a while, and~” She halted when Mark appeared with her book bag. She nodded at him, Mark rolled his eyes at her before leaving.

“~and I finished my summer here.” Saehee nodded, then she looked at Allison, who was looking at Mark as he chatted with his friends.

Has Mark been working out?

Saehee chuckled at her pal, and hit her arm.

Your best friend is hot, Saehee.

Saehee just shook her head and closed her locker.

Let’s get to class, Al.

No, I mean it, even sophomore girls stalk him on Facebook. He can be homecoming king!

Saehee just nodded while arranging her pens in her bag.

If only he would lose that ice prince thing going on, maybe girls would finally approach him.

Sad thing, Al, I don’t think he’ll ever lose it.

 

How is it that you have classes with Mark and I don’t?” Jackson demanded as they ate lunch, Mark was silently eating beside Saehee, while Jackson was complaining.

I don’t know, Wang Mandoo.” She sighed again as she grabbed her cola. Mark suddenly sat up.

I have tryouts this afternoon~

I know.” Saehee nodded.

Can you wait instead?

Saehee was about to react, when Mark shook his head.

It’s just an hour, Sae. I remember mom asked me to buy some stuff.

Now you want me join you? Mark I can take the bus~

Nope, we’re going to the mart. See you later.” Mark kissed her cheek before leaving the two. Jackson just shook his head.

How do you even put up with him, Sae?

Don’t ask.” Saehee replied as she watched Mark walk to the doors, she didn’t fail to notice how some girls would turn and stare at him appreciatively. Saehee grinned.

 

Saehee sat on the bleachers, letting the last bit of sun hit her face. She had no idea why the team decided to take the tryouts outdoors, she glanced over at Mark who was tossing a ball towards one of the freshies.

“Hey,”

She looked up and found an Asian male standing before her.

I..I’m in your AP Calc class..?

Oh, new student, right.” Saehee nodded and stood up, she offered her hand.

I was..wondering actually, where the admin office is.” He trailed off, Saehee’s brows rose but she picked up her bag.

You know what, I can show you the way.

You don’t have to really, I~

It’s fine, I’m Saehee by the way.

The male’s brows rose up.

“My name’s Kim Namjoon.” He spoke in Korean, causing Saehee to chuckle.

 

“Well, I’ll walk you to the admin office, Namjoon-ssi.”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++