Do You Trust Me?

AON World On Fire [ HIATUS]

Chapter Three

 

CL

 

I paced anxiosly around Kris's room waiting for his cell to ring. I cursed myself for not remebering to bring mine. But in my defense we where in the middle of a life or death battle. I glared at Kris, even though that didn't prevent him from remebering his. Suddenly his phone rang and I sprang for it. He easily held me back and I growled at him. He just laughed as he answered it. "Hello." He listened and then laughed. "Yeah she's right here." he handed the phone over to me and I grasped it eagerly. "Hello." I said. When I heard Bom's voice I instantly felt releif. "It's great to hear your voice." I told her.

"You too leader. Vacation my . I knew something was up." I chuckled.

"Yeah the sod has me and kris on a mission. But the more I think about it. This might all just be a set up to get rid of Kris. They'll probably come after Tao next."

When I had time think it made since to me that those in the korean government working with the chinese conspiritors would want to get rid of anyone who had any chance of linking them together. That maent Tao and Kris. Suho was in jail and the rest from their team was dead.

 

"Let them try and they'll be dead." I could her minzy saying. Bom must have me on speaker and I grinned. Anyone that wanted Tao would have to go through her first. 

 

"I figured the same thing. Especially when I learned that Suho was killed in jail last night." Bom said.

 

"What?" I gasped. So its already begun. They've already started the clean up. I pressed the speaker button on Kris's phone so he could hear also.

 

"He was stabbed. They don't know who did it." She said.

 

Kris looked at me questioningly. "Suho." I said. "He's dead."

 

He didn't seem shocked as I told him this and I filed it away in the back of my mind to ask him why later. "I need you guys to find out whatever you can about the secretary of defense. Watch him, hack his phone his computer, whatever. We need to know if he's  been lying to us." I said. I refused to have a repeat of the betraly we endured before which resulted in Chanyeol's death. "Me and Kris will stay here for awhile see what we can find out before coming back." I told her.

 

"On it." I could hear Dara say fiercely. I still worried about her. These days the only thing she did was work. I wished she'd try dating again. No one could replace Chanyeol but she needed some happiness in her life.

 

"We should probably continue to contact each other like this. You using Kris's phone and us using Tao's. Who knows what type of bugs they have on us." Bom said grudgingly.

 

"Agreed." We couldn't be sure of anything because our own government seemed intent on betraying us. 

"Can you trust Kris?" Dara asked. She didn't know I had it on speaker. I could hear Tao gasp and say angrily. "Yes she can trust him. He wouldn't betray me and once he's committed to something he doesn't back down. He's already commited to helping her."

"I didn't ask you. I asked her." Dara said defiantly.

 

No one knew about what Kris did that night. How he risked his life, how he almost died saving me. I thought he was dead. It still bothered me why he did that. Why he decide to die to protect a girl he'd only spoken to a handful of times? But because of his actions that day, I did trust him. I might not like him, and question the way he does things but I do trust him. I looked at kris who was watching me expactantly waiting for my answer. "Yes. I trust him." I answered Dara my eyes glued on Kris. He smiled slightly nodding his head.

 

After I was reassured that we had some type of plan of action into motion we said our goodbyes. 

 

I eyed Kris as I handed the phone over to him. "Why didn't you seem surprised when I said Suho was dead?" I asked. 

 

I had to know if he knew more than he was telling me. I trust him with my life but that doesn't mean I don't think he wouldn't keep something from me if he thought I wouldn't approve. Maybe he got someone to get rid of Suho so that he wouldn't be able to tell anyone about Kris's betrayal. 

 

Kris looked angrily at me. "You think I had something to do with that? You think I had someone kill him? I thought you trusted me." He actually seems hurt that I didn't believe in him. But this is a dangerous situation and it would be stupid of me not to consider all the possibilities. I can't let my irrational tust of him to cloud my judgment. "I'm just trying to consider everything and put the pieces together." I told him.  Kris paced towards me with a intense look of anger on his face. For a moment I was scared and took a step back. Then I stopped and stepped forward and held my ground. He wouldn't hurt me. He crowded me in and and growled lowly in my ear. "Do you really think that?" I shivered at his nearness and his deep voice roughned with anger. I shook my head. No I didn't believe it. But that didn't mean I couldn't consider it. "I'm not just a stupid hired gun. I have brains. I figured the same thing as you. Of course they would start getting rid of us. They can't have us alive knowing what we know." He then stepped back removing his pressence from me. He turned his back on me and I saw how tense his shoulders was. I'd definitely pissed him off asking that question.

"You can't blame me for asking." I said.

 

He didn't reply and I left the room shutting the door softly behind me.

 

 

The next morning I woke up in the bed Angela provided for me. I was reluctant to get up. First I didn't have anything to put on except what I arrived in yesterday and I wasn't sure what Kris's mood would be after our argument last night. Just as I was starting to force myself up there was a knock at the door. "Yes." I called out wondering if it was Kris even as I thought he isn't the type to knock. He'd just come inside not caring if I was in a state of undress or not. "It's Angela. I brought you some clothes." She called out from the other side of the door.

"Come in."

I was in bed only wearing my bra and . But I stood as she entered, where both girls and my body is fit. I admit I was just trying to show off. She closed the door behind her and said. "I figured you'd had nothing to wear. I didn't see you guys with any bags." She handed a bundle of clothes to me. "Theres a few outfits there that should fit you. I can't say if you'll  like them or not." She said laughing easily. I laughed too. "I'm sure there fine."

Angela seemed so nice. It was hard to dislike her. She stood there as I went through the items she gave me. I settled on a pair of black skinny jeans and a white button down shirt.  I guess I would be wearing my same sneakers. Once I finished selecting the close Angela asked. "I know its not my business but are you and Kris dating?" I was shocked at how forthright and boldly she asked me. I assumed that they weren't a thing but maybe I was premature in my assumptions. Kris said he trusted her and that went a long way in me not being suspicious of her but that didn't mean I would just tell her everything. But if she is involved with him I don't want her to get the wrong idea about us. So I decided on a compromise. "No we aren't  dating. We're just working on something together." I told her. She watched me closely for a moment before completely shocking me when she said. "Too bad." I looked at her sceptically. "Too bad?" I asked not sure I had heard her correctly.

"Yeah. I see something different in him when he's around you. He doenst seem so ruthless. He thinks I am nieve and don't know about all the shady and illegal things he was involved in before he disappeared. How close to the edge of becoming someone I didn't recognize anymore. But I knew. He's like a brother to me and I just want him to be safe and happy. You seem like you could bring him back from the ledge." Wow. She got all of that from the brief interaction she observed from us yesterday? I don't know if shes right though. I don't think anyone can make Kris do anything he hasn't already decided to do on his own, least of all me. Put she seemed to know him and I want to know more about him so I decided to put it all out there and ask her.

"How long have you know him?"

 

She smiled. "Since we were kids. I am a few years older than him and it used to annoy me when he followed me around all the time. Then his dad died. Freak accident at the factory he worked at. Since his dad and my dad were good friends my parents took him in. We have grown up as brother and sister." She sighed wistfully thinking of the past. "He was a shy and caring kid. He told me everything, we had no secrets. Then in high school he met some other boys and they became close and he stopped telling me things. That's when I think everything changed for him."

She was right. That would be around the time he wouldve met Tao, Lay, Sehun, Xuimin, Suho, Luhan and Chen. That's when Suho's father corrupted them all and turned them into perfect little soilders for his political agenda. That's when I decided to tell her things I've never said aloud to many people. "I'm not sure I can be that person who keeps Kris from going over the edge. I'm not a relationship person. I don't trust easily and I'm a hard person to get along with. I'm not even sure he likes me." I said the last bit even though I knew it was a lie. I know he likes me. I'm just to afraid to acknowledge it.

She nodded."Look at me burdening you with all this heavy stuff so early in the morning. Let me go so you can get dressed." She said exiting the room. When she closed the doo behind me I sat down on the edge of the bed. She had given me a lot to think about.

 

I got dressed and came down the stairs to the kitchen. Angela and Kris sat at the table laughing and eating. I stepped in and Kris looked at me then quickly looked away getting quiet. He must still be mad at me. I sat down beside Angela and she smiled at me and covered my hand with hers under the table. I startled a little in shock but then smile back at her. I began to eat stealing glances at Kris who studiously avoided me. He finished eating quickly and left the room. I sighed. This couldn't continue. If we were going to work together it couldn't be like this between us. I followed the path he'd taken to his room. Once again I knocked but opened it before he could answer. He was standing there with his pants ed and half way down and no shirt on. "What's the point of knocking if you don't wait for me to say come in?" He asked.

I shrugged as my eyes were glued to the waistbabd of his underwear that was visible. It took some effort but I forced my eyes up to his. I could see his eyebrows raise as I stepped further into the room and closed the door behind me. "We need to talk."

He leaned lazily against the dresser waiting for me to speak. Ok this was harder than I thought it would be. I guess I should apologize for not believing in him but I wasn't good at apologies. "We can't go around mad at eachother. It will make working together difficult." I said.

 

"I'm not mad." He replied.

 

That's a lie. He's  so mad. He isn't  being his usually annoying playful self. He hasn't said one word to me until I barged into his room unannounced. He's  mad. "Yeah you are. Stop it." I said. I could see his mouth twitch as a smile threatened to take over his face. "Are you ordering me to not be mad?" 

"Yes I am. So you better listen." I turned to leave and stopped my back to him as I held the door open. "I'm sorry." I said quickly before rushing out and closing the door behind me. I went back downstairs and rejoined Angela at the table. "Everything allright?" She asked.

"I hope so." I said shrugging.  

Who knows. Apologize had seemed like what I should do. So I did. But I got out of there as soon as I said it. I didn't want to see his reaction. I shighed. Relationships are hard, I'm not even in one and I fee like I am doing everything wrong.